Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 07-29-2019, 01:43 PM   #1
poetnprophet
Human being with feelings

Default Those with 4 Eyes - does it sound different w/ glasses on/off?

Hello fello lens wearers! It's been decades since I wore glasses, just picked up a pair this weekend to help with my studio work. I have to admit, it is a huge improvement!

But, I noticed that with glasses on, the mix sounds ever so slightly different in the high end detail. I know I'm not supposed to mix with my eyes, lol, but I swear I can actually hear the difference, like it's ever so slightly less shiny in the top end.

Is that even possible?
poetnprophet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 01:59 PM   #2
Fabian

Maybe the glasses emphasize your bone conduction? I don't know, but I know that bone conduction is part of our hearing, there are bone conduction hearing devices (https://www.hearinglink.org/your-hea...ing-devices/); maybe the glasses resonate and transmit more of the audio through your cranium...

I'm just guessing, but still, it is a possibility.

Myself, I have not noticed any difference with glasses on or off, but now I'm sure I'll never be able to not think of it
Old 07-29-2019, 01:59 PM   #3
Quasar

I am sure you are hearing a difference. Anytime you change any kind of variable that affects your screen of conscious perception, whether it be objective (changing your physical location in relation to your monitors) or subjective (background thoughts about one thing as opposed to another thing) it's going to change, at least to some degree, how you interpret the incoming sensory data...

...For instance, if I drink a glass of water it will be different than if I don't, though this difference will be subtle and likely entirely unnoticeable to me. On the other hand, if I drink 12 shots of brandy, the difference will no doubt be dramatic and obvious.

So yeah, a new pair of glasses could definitely make an impact. I can't imagine why it wouldn't.
Quasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 02:15 PM   #4
James HE

Your eyeballs are vibrating less with the glasses on cause the sound is being blocked by the lenses...

uhhhhhh..... or not.

hmm... are your ears kinda tight to your head, and the glasses push your ears out slightly?

I've never noticed a difference with or without glasses, my ears stick out like two satellites though. *slaps head - "you can fit so many pairs of glasses on this noggin"
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 03:16 PM   #5
DVDdoug

I've only noticed a difference with headphones.
DVDdoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 03:44 PM   #6
Crowzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
Hello fello lens wearers! It's been decades since I wore glasses, just picked up a pair this weekend to help with my studio work. I have to admit, it is a huge improvement!

But, I noticed that with glasses on, the mix sounds ever so slightly different in the high end detail. I know I'm not supposed to mix with my eyes, lol, but I swear I can actually hear the difference, like it's ever so slightly less shiny in the top end.

Is that even possible?

Yes it is more than possible. And this is because what we see can influence us on what we end up hearing. In science this is known as the McGurk effect. And it is as real as it gets. In the posted video it becomes apparent that it affects everyone of us, so it is not just for those who wear glasses.

In your case it may be that you noticed that something changed in the sound because of the new glasses changed your vision and hearing connection balance from what it was prior to the new glasses. But one could take this a step further and say what about those people who swear that the fancy GUI version of some plugin sounds better than the plain one? How much of that could be explained with the McGurk type of effect? Thus it could be argued that if our brain chooses to let some visual affect our hearing (and it probably is involuntary) there is no way of overcoming its effect. A null test that would prove that the two sources sound identical, would not mean much in that case, simply because inside the brain they do not sound the same. So what we really hear is what the brain tells us about the info that comes not just from our ears. For example in the McGurk test shown in the video a single sound is heard in multiple different ways only based on visuals. So yes, those eyes can really deceive us, even while mixing. Cheers.

[/url]
Crowzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 03:49 PM   #7
poetnprophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDdoug View Post
hahaha, i was expecting some funny answers, but this one totally wins!
Old 07-29-2019, 03:53 PM   #8
poetnprophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowzilla View Post
Yes it is more than possible. And this is because what we see can influence us on what we end up hearing. In science this is known as the McGurk effect. And it is as real as it gets. In the posted video it becomes apparent that it affects everyone of us, so it is not just for those who wear glasses.

In your case it may be that you noticed that something changed in the sound because of the new glasses changed your vision and hearing connection balance from what it was prior to the new glasses. But one could take this a step further and say what about those people who swear that the fancy GUI version of some plugin sounds better than the plain one? How much of that could be explained with the McGurk type of effect? Thus it could be argued that if our brain chooses to let some visual affect our hearing (and it probably is involuntary) there is no way of overcoming its effect. A null test that would prove that the two sources sound identical, would not mean much in that case, simply because inside the brain they do not sound the same. So what we really hear is what the brain tells us about the info that comes not just from our ears. For example in the McGurk test shown in the video a single sound is heard in multiple different ways only based on visuals. So yes, those eyes can really deceive us, even while mixing. Cheers.

[/url]
I am familiar with this phenom, but it's not this. I actually turned off the TV/monitor for this reason. I even closed my eyes, which you would think has the same effect as glasses but does not.

I have been noticing this for years, I listen to all my mixes in the car, and with sunglasses on I always felt I need to take them off to "hear more clearly". Now I am experiencing this the studio. I wouldn't be surprised if it was nothing at all, but still can't escape the feeling.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:21 PM   #9
WolfJames

Quote:

Is that even possible?
How big are your glasses? Are they, perhaps oversize, and deflecting waves around your ears? If so, what is the material? Plastic? Glass? High Index?

Last edited by WolfJames; 07-29-2019 at 04:22 PM. Reason: spelling
WolfJames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:40 PM   #10
poetnprophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfJames View Post
How big are your glasses? Are they, perhaps oversize, and deflecting waves around your ears? If so, what is the material? Plastic? Glass? High Index?
Not big glasses at all, in fact I should have gotten larger, I hate seeing the frame.

Old 07-29-2019, 09:18 PM   #11
RJHollins

Glasses definitely alter what we hear.

It's called 'diffraction'.

"Diffraction refers to various phenomena that occur when a wave encounters an obstacle or a slit. It is defined as the bending of waves around the corners of an obstacle or through an aperture into the region of geometrical shadow of the obstacle/aperture."

Similarly ... wearing a baseball cap [bill forward] has affect.

When working in a Controlled Room ... details become obvious.
RJHollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:52 PM   #12
Geoff-h3o

Default Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDdoug View Post
And I also found that it depends on which part of the body you're wearing them: eg when they're on my feet I feel there's a loss of volume and clarity ....even if I take my shoes off. Has anyone else noticed this? Or do I need better headphones?
Geoff-h3o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 02:25 AM   #13
Alma Mare

I've always been pretty skeptical towards perceived differences when it comes to factors that I rationally know that shouldn't influence the sound I'm hearing. IE I got the impression that Cubase sounded better than Bitwig but I knew better than to trust my first impressions.

However I cannot shake the habit of taking off my glasses in order to "listen better". It makes no sense. I can't even tell you that I'm hearing better while I do it. I just have the urge to do it.
Alma Mare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 04:54 AM   #14
Geoff-h3o

"However I cannot shake the habit of taking off my glasses in order to "listen better". It makes no sense. I can't even tell you that I'm hearing better while I do it. I just have the urge to do it."

Maybe it helps concentrate your attention?
Old 07-30-2019, 08:15 AM   #15
Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff-h3o View Post
And I also found that it depends on which part of the body you're wearing them: eg when they're on my feet I feel there's a loss of volume and clarity ....even if I take my shoes off. Has anyone else noticed this? Or do I need better headphones?
You need some headphones that have been properly modified to allow for tarsal transductor use. They're very rare, but I happen to have a pair that I am no longer using, and I'd be happy to sell you them for a very low price of only $1400. They look just like regular MDR-7506s but they were modified by an electrospiritualist guru in Oregon. It cost me almost $10,000 at the time, because I paid extra to have the modifications be very discreet. Unfortunately the guru succumbed to measles recently (shoulda got vaccinated!), so there's no way to get more from the source or, more importantly, verify my story.

Anyway, once you've tried them there's no going back. I'd keep using them but I've moved on to taking large amounts of psychedelics and synaesthetically listening to my own visualizations of the movements of the universe. You know how it goes. PM me for shipping prices.
Reason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:44 AM   #16
Geoff-h3o

Your headphone's connected to your neck bone QED - anything further just won't work.

Reason I'd take you up on your offer but I've found counting my money while I['m wearing glasses seems to make it add up to less. And less as we all know is never enough
Old 07-30-2019, 08:46 AM   #17
michaeltonight

Poetnprophet, have you tried (I'm sure you have) comparing the sound with your eyes closed, with and without glasses?

I wonder if anyone has made measurements of the effects of eyewear on a binaural head mic.

My vision is so bad that if I take off my glasses, the overall sensory disruption drastically overrides my brain's ability to hear if there's any actual sonic change. Once I lost my glasses right before a session, and I idiotically thought "hey, this will be fine, I'll just use my ears to the max". Turns out that while being permanently blind can improve one's listening ability, flooding my brain with uselessly blurry optical input did not. Fortunately, it was just me and a guitarist doing overdubs. Anything more challenging would have been a disaster!
michaeltonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:05 AM   #18
poetnprophet

I did try with my eyes closed (and glasses off), not the same as with glasses on.

PSA: your attire and accessories are part of your listening environment!
Old 07-30-2019, 09:17 AM   #19
Sinner

Quote:

Is that even possible?
Seems possible if you have synesthesia.

Me, having a type of synesthesia where I see sound, corrective glasses have no effect on me. I essentially create sound visualizations automatically. SUN glasses actually do effect it, I can hear more clearly in the dark. I mix in the dark when I'm alone.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:33 AM   #20
michaeltonight

Quote:
I did try with my eyes closed (and glasses off), not the same as with glasses on.
So you tried Eyes closed + glasses off

and Eyes closed + glasses on?

With eyes closed for all listening tests, you could try all sorts of glasses and report back!
michaeltonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:52 PM   #21
poetnprophet

yes I did.
and, no thanks!
Old 07-30-2019, 01:45 PM   #22
Goldreap

I haven't noticed anything different with my spectacles on but my extra two eyes certainly enhance the groove.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote