Old 06-08-2009, 06:10 AM   #81
schwa
Administrator

Once you have installed midi-ox, its ports should appear in Reaper's MIDI output list (x86 Reaper). If they don't appear you may need to set something in midi-ox once to expose midi-ox's input ports to the system. Once you have the ports visible, enable one and send a track to that port just as if it were a hardware MIDI output.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:21 AM   #82
Valery_Kondakoff
Human being with feelings

It seems I should install MIDIYOKE as well... Working on this!
Old 06-08-2009, 06:40 AM   #83
groovebox

Just to tell everyone that i tried the last 3.02 version for about an hour and there was no sign of midi lost connections!!! Thank you very much to the developers! Cheers!
groovebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:57 AM   #84
Valery_Kondakoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Once you have installed midi-ox, its ports should appear in Reaper's MIDI output list (x86 Reaper)
Yes, it's MIDIYOKE. Here is the MIDI output (shortened): http://www.nncron.ru/temp/3.02.txt

Reaper stops to output to Midisport around timestamp 000BC94C. The MIDIYOKE port still works on the same MIDI item after Reapers stops to output to Midisport. And MIDIOX successfully outputs to Midisport ports when Reaper refuses to do the same.

I reinstalled 3.01 and received _exactly_ the same log (no difference - checked this with diff: other timestamps though). But 3.01 does not stops outputting to Midisport, and 3.02 stops...
Old 06-08-2009, 07:02 AM   #85
schwa
Administrator

Have you tried forwarding the midiyoke input to the midisport (so Reaper is sending to one midisport port, and midiyoke is echoing the same data to another midisport port)?
Old 06-08-2009, 07:13 AM   #86
Valery_Kondakoff

I'm not sure how can I forward MIDI data from Midisport out to MIDIYOKE in. Righ now I'm outputting from Reaper to MIDIYOKE port and remap it to MIDISPORT out (Reaper -> Midiyoke1 -> Midisport1). The port does not seems to disappear.

Edit: BTW, unplugging Midisport and plugging it back does not brings the outputs back to Reaper. The only way to bring them back I found is to unchek the 'stop/play' checkboxes and to restart Reaper.

Last edited by Valery_Kondakoff; 06-08-2009 at 07:16 AM.
Valery_Kondakoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:28 PM   #87
Valery_Kondakoff

Quote:
Does it happen on other computers, or other OS besides Windows 7?
Tonight I had a chance to test this issue on other PC (desktop, P4 3200, 1G) with my midi-controller (midisport 4x4). Unfortunately, this PC runs Win7 RC1 as well. After installing Reaper 3.02 and several stop/plays the MIDI output disappears from Reaper in exactly the same way as it happens on my notebook.

I will try to find a way to test this in other OSes in a future.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:59 PM   #88
schwa
Administrator

Another Reaper user kindly tested the crap out of his midisport in 3.02 on XP. He reports A-OK, no interruption or any problem. That continues to point to the midisport drivers in Windows 7 as the problem.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:03 AM   #89
Valery_Kondakoff

Today I tested Reaper 3.02 -> Midisport 4x4 USB combination on WinXP SP3 and must confirm, that MIDI outputs are NOT disappearing on stop/play under this OS.

It seems, the problem lays in Midisport drivers strange behaviour in Win7 or in some strange incompatibility between these drivers and Reaper 3.02 (running Reaper 3.02 in Win7 using WinXP compatibility mode does not cure the problem).

There are two important points to mention:

1) Reaper 3.01 (and lower) is not affected of MIDI outputs disappearing on stop/play on Win7 (same drivers). This _is_ a regression.
2) None of the other software wich I currently use (Ableton Live 8.03, Midi-Ox for example) does not suffer of this problem as well.

This means, that 'MIDI outputs disappearing on stop/play' was somewhat introduced in R3.02. As Win7 popularity grows up and many new users install this OS they may face this problem as well (I'm not sure M-Audio will update the drivers which works well in all the software except Reaper 3.02).

So, I kindly ask you not to close this issue and made some developers investigations - what may cause it. I will try to do the same from the user side.

Thanks for your time!
Old 06-09-2009, 04:48 AM   #90
schwa
Administrator

Thanks for the detail Valery. I don't think this is a general Windows 7 issue however, I think it is a specific problem with using midisport's Vista driver in Windows 7.

My reasons for thinking that are:
- I am developing and testing directly on Windows 7 at the moment
- Even when your midisport drops out, your midi-ox connection stays up, and from Reaper's perspective there is no difference between those two connections (they are both opaque output ports to Reaper).

In 3.02 we made some significant changes in the way we call the Windows MIDI API. These changes are exactly what fixed the original dropout problem, but apparently these fixes also triggered whatever bug exists in the midisport driver on Windows 7. It may even be the case that what breaks the midisport is just the fact that the MIDI timing is more accurate -- data clumps that previously would have been offset by a tick or so are now being received exactly at the same (correct) time.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:39 PM   #91
frippouille

3.02 looks promising,decided to give it a try.
No midi lost...for now
Good job Reaper team !
frippouille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:14 PM   #92
filosofem

Quote:
The MIDI dropout problem I believe is fixed in general
Yes, confirmed. Thank you Reaper team for getting on to this so soon! Wow!

Regards.

filosofem
filosofem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:40 AM   #93
daverich

seems I need to update my studio computer, this bug was annoying the tits off me yesterday...

Kind regards

Dave Rich
daverich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:10 AM   #94
Jo_

Default update

everything ok for me
thanks and good job !
Jo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:57 AM   #95
Valery_Kondakoff

Just to let the developers know: the weird bug with disappearing MIDI outputs when using Windows 7 and external USB Midiman Midisport 4x4 is still reproducible with Reaper 3.03.

The new option to restrict external MIDI output threading to one thread greately improved the situation: if this option is checked the MIDI outputs are disappearing 1-2 times a day (even when all other CC data is still sent on play/stop). If this option is unchecked the MIDI outputs disappears every 2-3 play/stop.

Because of this Reaper/Midiman/Win7 incompatibility currently I'm using Ableton Live 8 as my main DAW (with the same Midiman drivers) and I can report, that the MIDI output is not disappearing at all.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:45 AM   #96
beingmf

does anyone have this problem as well: not only external midi is lost, but also internal!

setup: XP SP2 / 1 midi port USB / 1 midi port i88x FW

kontakt with a very small sample load - plays now, not then!?*
so i tried to be clever: rendered it as new take. same thing!!!!
what the hell is going on?

can please anyone try this: "reainsert" the external midi synth and render as new take. is it playing or not?

please have look at my other post, too: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=37827

* it gets especially annoying when/cos it is part of a whole (small, though) "orchestration" where subtle tones get overheard pretty easy but are important nonetheless.
beingmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:41 PM   #97
Quasar

Has this issue been fixed for everyone else?

I'm having a similar problem in 3.04:

XP2, MidiSport 4x4 with Yamaha P120 & Roland Juno G.

Sounds generated from the external keyboards will playback only seldom or intermittently. Typically (though not always), playback in midi will be fine the first time after recording, but then not play back again until closing/restarting Reaper, despite displaying the midi activity graphically as usual.

Internal sounds, VSTis/soft-synths are fine, live play is fine, and 2.58 works fine. Doing the low latency output thing in preferences has no effect, nor does checking or unchecking the "Close audio device when stopped..."

I've searched through these threads, but haven't found an answer. Is this still an open issue?
Quasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 04:06 PM   #98
dfender

Default Lost MIDI controller

I have exactly the same problems with the latest vers., 3.22 of Reaper in win 7 64 using Mackie MCU connected to the MIDI i/o in RME Firewire 800.
It all works untill I hit the transport buttons. Then I get The message : no RME FW midi i/o. Pretty annoying bug. MCU works in Cubase on the same PC, same conditions. The only difference is Reaper. Just bought the program due to it`s 64 bit support. And have pushed it on the Cubase Forum. Maybe I was just a little too quick? I will be looking forward to see how The Reapers deal with customer feedback!!!
Dfender

Last edited by dfender; 01-30-2010 at 04:16 PM.
dfender is offline   Reply With Quote