Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 11-05-2009, 12:07 AM   #41
carbon
Human being with feelings

It's interesting that they crash/glitch for some and for others (like me) not a single problem.

What's the critical difference in people's systems?
Audio interface?
Old 11-05-2009, 04:11 AM   #42
Bearcub

Quote:
Originally Posted by matic View Post
Well, its not really crashes that are the problem; the plugin GUI just stops responding. If I turn GUI off, they work with the Reaper GUI, but I have a psychological issue with this - plus the GUI looks nice
Same for me, the GUIs don't respond, so you have to use the reaper GUI. Shame for a lot of reasons, one of which is that bootsy has some of the best GUIs out there.

But I also get the crashes from time to time, and that doesn't happen with ANY other plugs, only all the bootsy stuff. Once Bootsy finds a way to make plugins that run in a solid manner, he will be a major contender.

I'd say bootsy's plugins are like a really cute dog. It looks adorable, and you wanna love it, but once in a while it goes nuts and bites you in the leg.
Bearcub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:20 AM   #43
cococo

I use density mkI ( for me has more punch than MkII ), the Nasty suit (I love the nasty channel strip), booteq, and now ferric. They crash but not very often, at least in my machine. But yes, they take a LOT of time to load. This happens with other plugs also made with synth maker ( from the SM forum: "Load times on SM plugins are way way too long" )
But anyway, great plugs, love them, top of the freeware.

Last edited by cococo; 11-05-2009 at 05:27 AM.
cococo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:43 AM   #44
kindafishy

Quote:
Well, its not really crashes that are the problem; the plugin GUI just stops responding. If I turn GUI off, they work with the Reaper GUI, but I have a psychological issue with this - plus the GUI looks nice
I get this. It's weird. For me, it is directly related to whether or not I have a VSTi loaded. If one is loaded, no bootsy stuff. If none are loaded, the GUI's work fine. Same exact issue with Audio Damage Rough Rider too, which sucks because I rely on the meter.
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:48 AM   #45
matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon View Post
What's the critical difference in people's systems?
Audio interface?
I'm using Reaper 3.13, XP Media Center 32 bit, Intel Core2Duo 4300, 2 GB ram, on board video, onboard sound disabled in CMOS, NI Guitar Rig Session I/O, and I have a Nanokey plugged in most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy View Post
I get this. It's weird. For me, it is directly related to whether or not I have a VSTi loaded. If one is loaded, no bootsy stuff. If none are loaded, the GUI's work fine. Same exact issue with Audio Damage Rough Rider too, which sucks because I rely on the meter.
Interesting - I will look at this. I pretty much always have an instance of Kore Player loaded.

I don't notice long load times that I have attributed to Bootsy plugs; when I add one to a channel the response seems reasonable, but Reaper in general seems to load *projects* very slowly and I'm not sure whether to trust the splash screen notice update in regard to what plugin it is on when it slows down.
matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:53 AM   #46
kindafishy

Quote:
Interesting - I will look at this. I pretty much always have an instance of Kore Player loaded.
To be more specific, it happens to me when I am using either EZDrummer or BFD 2.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:50 PM   #47
nyaben

Anyone using this in lieu of another comp on the master buss?
nyaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:02 AM   #48
JohnB47

Hey, this old thread suddenly came live again so I thought I'd give plugin this a try - used the link on the OP and followed the link to the KVR site but it says "Downloaded Files: NO FILES UPLOADED".

Anyone know why that is? Is an upgrade imminent perhaps?

Thanks.
JohnB47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:11 AM   #49
mabian

http://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/downloads/

Hope it helps,
Mario
Old 01-01-2011, 03:46 PM   #50
pattonfreak1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyaben View Post
Anyone using this in lieu of another comp on the master buss?
Not in lieu of but in conjunction with a comp on the master. Definitely a VERY useful tool.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:55 PM   #51
psilas

Default Typical Synthmaker, ,look nice though.

I don't like these plugs at all.Tried them all and only the Nasty CS sounded remotely usable for 'pro' work.

They're VERY unstable and do not sound that great anyway.Compared to UAD,T-Racks and even GSi these are quite disappointing.

The fact they are Synthmaker does not surprise me one bit. They won't work in Logic OR Protools OR Reaper properly so that's all the main pro sequencers out of the question.

They're OK for free but they are NOT pro quality at all.

For REAL pro plugs you have to go with the pro developers,not bedroom people like Bootsy.

Elysia,SPL,T-Racks,Nomad,URS,UAD etc all make superior plugins to these and some,like the 'Elysia Niveau Filter' are free.
psilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:58 PM   #52
pattonfreak1

False statement is full of false
Quote:
Originally Posted by psilas View Post
I don't like these plugs at all.Tried them all and only the Nasty CS sounded remotely usable for 'pro' work.
Sorry but that is out and out bullshit. Density smokes plenty of "pro" compressors.
Quote:
They're VERY unstable and do not sound that great anyway.Compared to UAD,T-Racks and even GSi these are quite disappointing.
They work fine for me, and hundreds of thousands of other people. Also they are free and you compare them to commercial plugs? Thats like comparing bicycles to Corvettes.

Quote:
The fact they are Synthmaker does not surprise me one bit.
Really? Cuz it surprised the hell outta me.
Quote:
They won't work in Logic OR Protools OR Reaper properly so that's all the main pro sequencers out of the question.
They don't work in logic or PT cuz they are...

Wait for it...

VST's. Not RTAS or AU or even Apple VST.

It even sez it on the Download page:

See that? It sez Win32. Last I checked Logic was not Win32. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:

For REAL pro plugs you have to go with the pro developers,not bedroom people like Bootsy.

Elysia,SPL,T-Racks,Nomad,URS,UAD etc all make superior plugins to these and some,like the 'Elysia Niveau Filter' are free.
Again that is utter horseshit.
Take ampsims for example; The Serina Expirement, LePou and even AcmeBarGig are making ampsims FOR FREE that blow their commercial counterparts off the map.
I suggest you do some homework before posting your 7th post in response to this... fuckin' amateurs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clipboard01.jpg (56.4 KB, 1035 views)
Old 01-05-2011, 08:26 PM   #53
Gerry P

Quote:
I don't like these plugs at all.Tried them all
And you are?

Please give a link to your conclusions/test/findings so I can review these dastardly plug-ins in context...

Last edited by Gerry P; 01-06-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Gerry P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:50 PM   #54
shemp

I think Bootsy's stuff is excellent, and very stable. Ferric is a tad CPU hungry but it's a great plug. Density kicks ass IMO.
shemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:03 PM   #55
brainwreck

Bootsy's stuff is at least as good as anything commercial that I've tried, and much better than the majority of the freebies that I've tried - sound wise. I definitely had some stabiltiy issues with some of his plugins before finding out that plugins in reaper could be ran as separate processes, and cpu use for most of his plugins isn't exactly low, but hey...
Old 01-06-2011, 09:44 AM   #56
strunkdts

Quote:

The fact they are Synthmaker does not surprise me one bit. They won't work in Logic OR Protools OR Reaper properly so that's all the main pro sequencers out of the question.

LOL, out loud even!
strunkdts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:49 AM   #57
Magicbuss

Bootsy plugs are useful regardless of price and get used along side of alot of commercial plugs in my home studio. They also contain a bunch of custom code beyond the synthmaker framework so to say they are synthmaker plugs is not entirely true. I believe synthmaker is used for the gui only not the actual processing (correct me if i'm wrong).

Anyway there is a loyal bootsy following of PRO's and amateurs alike but there are also a faction of Bootsy detractors. So be it. There are ALOT more waves detractors IMO just check gear slutz. And I'm pretty sure i can shake a stick and hit someone who has nasty things to say about the self titled "Pro" tools. Its all relative. Tools are tools. choose the ones that work for you.
Magicbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:56 PM   #58
PHLENDOCAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicbuss View Post
Bootsy plugs are useful regardless of price and get used along side of alot of commercial plugs in my home studio. They also contain a bunch of custom code beyond the synthmaker framework so to say they are synthmaker plugs is not entirely true. I believe synthmaker is used for the gui only not the actual processing (correct me if i'm wrong).

Anyway there is a loyal bootsy following of PRO's and amateurs alike but there are also a faction of Bootsy detractors. So be it. There are ALOT more waves detractors IMO just check gear slutz. And I'm pretty sure i can shake a stick and hit someone who has nasty things to say about the self titled "Pro" tools. Its all relative. Tools are tools. choose the ones that work for you.
Not to mention all the people who bash Nomad Factory given any opportunity...

Bootsy's stuff is pretty damn good. Some of his stuff is stable, some of it is CPU hungry. In any case, I'm a big fan of his Boot EQ, but didn't really care for Ferric.
PHLENDOCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:31 PM   #59
kindafishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLENDOCAT View Post
Not to mention all the people who bash Nomad Factory given any opportunity...

Bootsy's stuff is pretty damn good. Some of his stuff is stable, some of it is CPU hungry. In any case, I'm a big fan of his Boot EQ, but didn't really care for Ferric.
People bash Nomad Factory? That's surprising. I think their stuff is brilliant.

It actually surprises me that people bash any plugins made by any vendor. They are just EQs, comps, verbs, etc. Anyone who thinks of his/her self as a mixer of any level of skill should be able to take virtually any EQ at all and do good work with it. The inability to do so is not the fault of the EQ. Ever.

Bootsy/VoS plugins are also very good.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:04 PM   #60
bls

Now that I get to work on a quad-core, I made nasty vcs my default channel. I've been playing around with that a lot and it rules.

I like mixing with standard controls on the mcp, so I put together a preset that , using parameter modulation, volume matches the drive control as well as a mild compressor setting. It's brilliant, I would take it over the ssl channel anyday.

I'm pretty sure psilas is just butt-hurt because awhile back bootsie had to delete some of his posts off of his site. But still, feel free to release some free plugins when you get done flaming the Internet. Even bad ones are welcome.

Last edited by bls; 01-06-2011 at 09:55 PM. Reason: vcs, i dont know what vas is.
bls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:04 PM   #61
slops

Quote:
Originally Posted by bls View Post
I'm pretty sure psilas is just butt-hurt because awhile back bootsie had to delete some of his posts off of his site.
funny you say that, i was just on vstcafe.com and saw this comment (which is obviously from psilas) for bootsy's nastyDLA plugin:

Quote:

Anonymous said...

This guy calls himself a 'Computer scientist' and he makes 'synthmaker' plugins.

They do not work properly in either Reaper,Protools or Logic ie. ALL the major professional sequencers.

He also only allows nut-huggers to comment on his site and deletes ANY constructive comments or critisms about his 'Synthmaker' plugins.

He is not a computer scientist,if he were he would have been hired by a major company like many other REAL programmers. He is just a bedroom hobbyist who uses Synthmaker,like MANY others.
December 25, 2010 4:34 AM
lol.
bls is spot on with his assumption.
slops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:55 AM   #62
JohnnyMcFly

Oh now thats just ridiculous..Man I'm getting sick of people like that phillis, sillbillis millies whatever his/her name is..
Old 01-07-2011, 01:41 AM   #63
cAPSLOCK

Well certainly each person is entitled to their own opinion.

As to whether VoS plugins are "pro" enough. Hmm. That is such a strange adjective, Hard to define really.

Well I am a pro(fessional) engineer and have been for the greater part of 20 years. It is my only job, and we are a single income family. I pay the bills this way. I have recorded and/or produced songs that have made billboard charts, and have had 3 #1 charting Texas Country hits this year alone. Just yesterday I recorded a vocalist I would be willing to bet many of you know (though I don't really want to name her). I also work with local bands, singer songwriters and other regular folks day in and day out. When I am busy (like I am now) my studio stays booked 2 months or more in advance.

My opinion?

Bootsy's plugins hold their own amongst all the good commercial plugins on the market. Period. The first version of Density was a goto plugin on piano tracks for a couple years. Though I generally have options I prefer in most categories I do not hesitate to recommend them to all my clients who cannot afford to spend $$$$$ on software.

Just my $.02

PS. No offense to AcmeBarGig up there, as I am not generally familiar with their plugins. Perhaps I'll try them.
cAPSLOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:48 AM   #64
cAPSLOCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy View Post
It actually surprises me that people bash any plugins made by any vendor. They are just EQs, comps, verbs, etc. Anyone who thinks of his/her self as a mixer of any level of skill should be able to take virtually any EQ at all and do good work with it. The inability to do so is not the fault of the EQ. Ever.
Quoted for truth.

If I had to I feel fairly certain I could mix a great sounding track with just the Cockos plugins, or that ancient and venerable "Sonitus" suite that now ships with Sonar, or for that matter the VoS stuff. (Though I might need to sneak a little kjaerhus plugin in here and there to fill in the gaps)
cAPSLOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:20 AM   #65
strangedogs

I like Bootsies stuff (at least the ones I use). I really like BootEQmkII - the Analog-o-matic preset works nicely with my guitar amp sims, and I do use Ferric too. For FREE plug-ins they match or beat a lot of the more expensive commercial counterparts out there.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:25 AM   #66
bullshark

Don't care for Ferric, but a lot of his stuff is good and unique sounding; Nasty DLA for example has been in my favorite folder since it came out.
bullshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:10 AM   #67
Feverdreamer

I use Nasty CS on pretty much every mix, particularly good for vocals. if it had a gate/expander it would be perfect. The air EQ is fantastic, and the compression is lovely and transparent.

I
Feverdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:16 AM   #68
bls

A gate would be cool, but I don't mid it not havig one. I'm still hooked on reagate.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:11 PM   #69
JohnnyMcFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cAPSLOCK View Post
PS. No offense to AcmeBarGig up there, as I am not generally familiar with their plugins. Perhaps I'll try them.
No offence taken at all man..Actually, I'm not sure where any of it could be offensive.

I just wanted to comment on the going flow of the thread at the time which was about the guy trashing bootsy at every turn. We too have a few people around like that and I can tell you first hand, it gets your blood boiling pretty fast(well at least mine anyways).
Old 01-07-2011, 01:47 PM   #70
pattonfreak1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMcFly View Post
No offence taken at all man..Actually, I'm not sure where any of it could be offensive.

I just wanted to comment on the going flow of the thread at the time which was about the guy trashing bootsy at every turn. We too have a few people around like that and I can tell you first hand, it gets your blood boiling pretty fast(well at least mine anyways).
I know exactly who you're talking about, Ken. (FF)
Curious if he'll create an account here and "chime in".
Old 01-07-2011, 04:02 PM   #71
strangedogs

Don't get Ken started - he's crazy mean when he drinks
Old 01-08-2011, 02:45 AM   #72
JohnnyMcFly

Good job I only drink once every couple months..haha
Patton yes, I wonder? I almost never loose it, but really after a year of sh%t, I just thought you know what, thats enough, I've taken enough..

Most people have a few scrapes on the web every now me included, but, I am pleased to say that everyone I have ever had a spirited discussion with is now a good friend(except that guy). He's the only one that just keeps going and going, with the bs comments and trying to push buttons...It gets to a point where ignoring does not help.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:30 AM   #73
politcat

i always smash the drum room track with Density (old version). i was disappointed with the new version changes. i did have a problem with Density's gui disappearing recently after installing one his other plugins. went away after getting rid the latter

i tried TesslaPRO when it first came out and it does this amazing thing bringing out detail in a mix (clarity). it made me think about how important transients are for definition. unfortunately, it kept crashing Reaper so. may be time to try again
politcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:17 PM   #74
bls

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMcFly View Post
Good job I only drink once every couple months..haha
Patton yes, I wonder? I almost never loose it, but really after a year of sh%t, I just thought you know what, thats enough, I've taken enough..

Most people have a few scrapes on the web every now me included, but, I am pleased to say that everyone I have ever had a spirited discussion with is now a good friend(except that guy). He's the only one that just keeps going and going, with the bs comments and trying to push buttons...It gets to a point where ignoring does not help.
It's just a fact of life that the bigger you're operation gets, the more you inspire someone to talk shit. It's hard to please a ton of people as opposed to a handful, and I'm sure envy is a factor at times as well. I know it's not helpful when people act like that, but it's nothing more than a backlash of all the positive support that you guys get.

Just tell them to psuck it.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:18 PM   #75
70srocker

Quote:

You are full of shit.
70srocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:47 PM   #76
Tedwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70srocker View Post
You are full of shit.
I pretty much agree here.

I use a few of Booty's plugs much of the time, and am really impressed. This one looks to be another I would use a lot.

You would have to be nuts to rubbish them
Old 01-08-2011, 02:23 PM   #77
JohnnyMcFly

Totally Agreed Ted, Bootsy is a great developer with a supportive nature about him.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:45 PM   #78
bullshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70srocker View Post
Quote:

You are full of shit.
That's a given.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:52 PM   #79
bullshark

And I should add that it's mesmerizing that somebody would waste his time bashing free software. I mean, there's so much commercial target available, software that is sold for money while offering sub-par quality and support, so why waste it on free stuff? Hey genius, it's FREE; you like it, you use it, you don't like it, you don't use it, period.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:45 PM   #80
markuc

I installed Bootsie plugins now and in Reaper 4a, Win7 64 bit works only Epicverb and Rescue ...
markuc is offline   Reply With Quote