Old 03-26-2010, 12:41 PM   #1
Wayward Son
Human being with feelings

Default New Lexicon Omega drivers

Lexicon has version 2.6 posted with support for windows 7.
Don't know if it's 64bit or not.

http://www.lexiconpro.com/product.php?id=6#downloads
Wayward Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:44 AM   #2
Suecae

I am thinking about buying the Lexicon Omega for my Vista set-up. I'd love to hear peoples experiences with these new drivers, whether on 32 or 64-bits.
Suecae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
zappsunzorn

I have its little brother, the Lambda, and I would not recommend it. After about a year all the knobs started to pop and crack when moved. Worst the stereo balance on the master level is not reliable. Sometimes everything seems panned a little to one side and that is fixed by wiggling the master knob.

For about the same price or just a little more, I think you can get something of much higher quality.
zappsunzorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:04 AM   #4
Suecae

zappsunzorn:

Thanks for your advice. It is much appriciated. After reading up on it, it seems that many share your experience. A pity, because I found a great deal on it. Nevertheless, I'd rather get something that's sturdy and just works.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:09 AM   #5
drillbit

I work at a store and we sell many different interfaces. I have to agree the Lexicon stuff is not high quality (we have had quite a few come back). The best cheap interface with good drivers (and 5gb sample library with Studio one) is the Prsonus AudioboxUSB. They are built like tanks (old firebox style). They also have 64bit driver OSX and Win7. Good stuff.
drillbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:49 AM   #6
Suecae

Presonus AudioboxUSB is something I've looked at. Another alternative sollution might be the Focusrite Saffire 6 USB. But hearing someone who works in this field to recomend the Audiobox is reassuring.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:45 PM   #7
pcmusicpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Son View Post
Lexicon has version 2.6 posted with support for windows 7.
Don't know if it's 64bit or not.

http://www.lexiconpro.com/product.php?id=6#downloads
Hello. I'm trying to help a friend to install his Omega in to Win7 64 bit and though we where able to set it in Cubase LE, we could not make it appear into the Windows audio devices in the control panel. How can we make the Omega be the deffault windows audio device?

If there is a Lexicon Users Forum please point me to it.

Thanks

Ed.
pcmusicpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:59 PM   #8
ricosuave

Stay away from the Lexicon Omega. It has a design flaw that makes it shut down intermittently. I found a post on a forum on how to fix it and it involves separating the heat sinks from the cables so it doesn't heat them up. I actually wedged a skinny pice of wood to fix it.

Also, it is usb 1.1 so it is slow.
ricosuave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:07 PM   #9
bfsound

I have one of the original omegas with usb 1.1 not even 2.0 and use it mostly with mac since the driver are way better on that, for windows its a piece of crap even when used with cubase le which it comes with, the drivers failed and it wouldnt let me switch to the laptops internal audio drivers and a bunch of crap so i couldnt even listen to the files without the omega,

and i can confirm that the knobs do in fact become scratchy, my outputs knob mainly the inputs dont really scratch!
bfsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:44 PM   #10
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmusicpro View Post
we could not make it appear into the Windows audio devices in the control panel. How can we make the Omega be the deffault windows audio device?
You might be on the right track, AFAIK the Omega depends on being the Windows "default device". That it doesn't show up there would mean that the interface is not installed properly.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:16 PM   #11
flight

Just as info, the Omega has one really nice upside and a really serious downside. The upside is that pretty much everything I record through it sounds great. I assume its the coloration of the preamps, cause I also have a couple of other preamps and interfaces, and the Omega makes for the best acoustic guitar and vocal tracks. Nice, clear clean and warm.

Downside that is probably a result of USB 1.1 is that the latency on them is terrible. I pretty much can't use a MIDI device through them. And I wind up with almost 40ms delay on my guitar running through Guitar Rig 5. And this is on a new i7 machine that is screaming fast on everything. All these things work just fine on my firewire card, but are unusable through the Omega.

So I sometimes do acoustic guitar and vocals using it, and pretty much nothing else.

-f
Old 01-27-2012, 05:13 PM   #12
KevinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
You might be on the right track, AFAIK the Omega depends on being the Windows "default device". That it doesn't show up there would mean that the interface is not installed properly.
Here, on winXP, I don't have to have the Omega be the default device. (I usually do anyway, but I've at various times used an old soundblaster as the default, with the Omega just in Reaper.)

It's odd that it would work in Cubase but not in Windows/Reaper. I'm not sure how that's even possible.

I have had better luck using ASIO4ALL vs. the Lexicon drivers (note I'm on XP vs. Win7 of pcmusicpro's friend.)

Maybe try to uninstall the Omega drivers and just give ASIO4ALL a whirl.
KevinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:05 AM   #13
Fabian

Just like Kevin... ASIO4ALL gives me much better (meaning shorter and more reliable) latency for my Lexicon Lambda, than does the native drivers. This is on W7x64.