Old 10-26-2010, 08:01 AM   #41
Magicbuss
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieso View Post
As a former and current customer of Line6 my opinion, based on about 12 years of experience with quite a few of their products, is simply this: good software burdened by junk hardware and AD/DA that varies between mediocre to atrocious. If you're okay with throwing your money away on disposable goods then you'll probably be happy with it.

As a marketing and hype machine, Line6 may be unrivaled but as a manufacturer of McAmps (etc.) they do no better than their competitors (Digitech et al) at the low end of the market. If you're lucky whatever you buy from them will last a good while and, if you're unlucky, it will break shortly after the warranty period expires.

Is it going to sound and feel like a 'real' amp? We can fool ourselves into believing anything we want to believe. ;-) L6 has been making that claim since day one and they've never managed to pull it off, IMO.

YMMV
I feel the opposite. The X3 for instance was adequate modern hardware burdened by running 10 year old software. The HD is running an almost IDENTICAL processor as the X3 but they rewrote the code from scratch and I can tell you this has made a MUCH bigger difference in tone and feel compared to the jump from XT to X3 (16/44.1 to 24/48 and old generic processor to SHARC).
Magicbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:18 AM   #42
Jim Roseberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_P_Critter View Post
I don't care if it's a step forward technology wise - if you can't use your own cab impulses, the thing is a complete failure.

Note - I own several Line 6 products, and I use them extensively but sorry - if I had to choose between the AFX and the POD HD - the AFX would win, hands down.
In a recording/studio environment, you can use cab IRs (via convolution plugin) with the HD series.

FWIW, I like the idea of cab IRs...
But they don't account for any "dynamic" interaction/changes.
IOW, They're a static model.
If you had cab responses via dynamic convolution (something like Nebula) that would be a major step forward.
Jim Roseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:56 AM   #43
Jim Roseberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisharbin View Post
See now, I'm surprised by that. Though it felt fine to play through, it lacked seriously compared to GR4 or AT3 in dynamic range. I mean, I'm pretty good at getting guitar tone (too bad about me not being that way playing wise LOL) and I mean, it was PAINFULLY different. And I tried it with cans, and through the spidf on the sound card (sounded best, but still...)

I dunno jim, your probably light years from me in knowledge so now I really confused
As was mentioned, it's hard to argue subjectives...

I don't like the presets.
Many are useless for most practical purposes.
I need to spend a few hours setting up basic (dry) amp/cab presets.

To maintain fidelity, I'd avoid extra D/A and A/D conversion.
This means using the HD's USB audio interface... or using the S/PDIF output.

The guitar you're using also makes a huge difference.
ie: A patch that was tweaked for a neck-position single coil pickup will likely sound like crap if you're playing a LesPaul using the bridge humbucker.

In any event, I do think the HD series is worth checking out...
Old 10-26-2010, 09:03 AM   #44
Magicbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Roseberry View Post
In a recording/studio environment, you can use cab IRs (via convolution plugin) with the HD series.

If you had cab responses via dynamic convolution (something like Nebula) that would be a major step forward.
Agreed. In fact I think that static convolution has reached the end of its shelf life. Dynamic convolution could seriously move modeling technolgy past the "it'll never be as good as tubes" tipping point.

FWIW I find the cabs in the HD to be pretty bad. The 4x12's in particular are just boomy, scooped and muted.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:08 AM   #45
Jim Roseberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicbuss View Post
As an owner of the M13 and HD500 I will say that the FX are mostly good but the modulation and reverb FX and not as good as Boss or digitech.
That makes logical sense to me...
Digitech owns Lexicon
Boss is known for good mod EFX

I don't see the HD series being the "end all" of every modeled unit...
But it certainly is convenient... and it sounds/responds a whole lot better (IMO) than previous generations.

Regarding Marshall tones, there's a guy on The Gear Page that posted a couple of nice sounding clips.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:19 AM   #46
Jim Roseberry

Quote:
FWIW I find the cabs in the HD to be pretty bad. The 4x12's in particular are just boomy, scooped and muted.
Agreed...
FWIW, I tend to feel that way about almost all 4x12 cab sims.
Almost always prefer the smaller cab models.

I wonder if the method they're using to capture the cab models causes comb-filtering. ie: If you have a large cab in a small space, it doesn't have enought room to "speak". Listen to a bass cab in a small room... then in a larger room (both acoustically treated/controlled). The bass cab will sound better in the larger space.
Just makes me wonder...
Old 10-26-2010, 11:57 AM   #47
Magicbuss

Quote:
Agreed...
FWIW, I tend to feel that way about almost all 4x12 cab sims.
Almost always prefer the smaller cab models.

I wonder if the method they're using to capture the cab models causes comb-filtering. ie: If you have a large cab in a small space, it doesn't have enought room to "speak". Listen to a bass cab in a small room... then in a larger room (both acoustically treated/controlled). The bass cab will sound better in the larger space.
Just makes me wonder...
I'm wondering along with you...

I feel cab sims have long been the Achilles heel of all modelers - an afterthought IMO. I know the redwirez cabs are static but to my ears they are a significant improvement over most stock cabs. Plus the ability to move the mic in relation to the speaker and change the distance from the cab is so useful.

FWIW the Dr.Z 2x12 is definitely my favorite cab on the HD.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:04 PM   #48
fester2000

Default At the risk of being flamed, flogged, tarred & feathered...

I've been meaning to start recording the HD500 to let folks hear it, and I finally fired up Reaper to start doing just that. But I'd recently downloaded a backing track of "It's Love" by King's X, and while I really don't care much for Tabor's tone, I absolutely *love* playing the song. So I dialed up a dual tone that tries to pay homage to Tabor's tone by pushing the mids and treble like crazy and backing way off the gain - it's a JCM 800 on the L and a Recto on the right (delayed 20 ms using a digital delay to help separate the sounds a bit). It's not anywhere close to what Tabor's sound actually sounds like, but it does have a lot of mids and highs, bordering on obnoxious .

This doesn't remotely show what the HD500 can do, and that's why I'm sort of apologizing for this being my first soundclip with the 500.

The backing track does have bass guitar on it, but you can't really can't hear it. What I can hear is some extra junk/power in the 100 hz range (which I think is from the guitar - only noticeable with a subwoofer, but it's there), but I fought the urge to correct anything in the tone. I did zero treatment to the sound in the mix so folks can hear the raw tone. Nothing on the master, no eq, compression, no nothing, just worked with the levels to get them close.

Usual disclaimers: playing is a bit sloppy in places, make your own decisions, etc. Here's the mix:

http://db.tt/TaPOy1C

If I have some time tonight, I'll do more demos and remix this with some eq and compression to see if I can get it to sound a little more polished.

FWIW, the only 4x12 I've found to be unusable is the T-75s, which is so boomy and scooped that it doesn't even sound good on its own. What I've found is that the different mics tend to bring out the best in different head/cab combinations. The main "go to" mics are the 57 on axis, the 409, the 67 and the 87. I've used the 57 off axis occasionally, but I haven't found any use for either of the ribbon mics.

Although I used the JCM 800 in this clip, it's probably my least favorite model, b/c it really lacks the ballz that the other high gain amps have.

Ok, flame suit is on. Fire away.

Cheers,

Fester2k
fester2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:09 PM   #49
fester2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisharbin View Post
Well, I just tried it, and I've already boxed it back up for a return.

What I was expecting was something that would totally wow me, but to me it just wasn't that great. AAMOF, I have jam looper and it didn't sound THAT much better than that.

Frankly, I've become spoiled. I play while on my computer and GR4 or AT3 are imho light years ahead. ymmv, but there was nothing about it that was special.
Hey, thanks for sharing your thoughts - had you upgraded the unit to the latest firmware (v1.10, I believe)? I didn't hear previous versions, but the beta testers swear that there was a big step up from the firmware on the shipped units (1.1, I think) and the latest, FWIW.

Out of curiosity, when you play GR4 or AT3, what interface are you using? And how's the latency with those?

Cheers,

Fester2k
Old 10-26-2010, 02:30 PM   #50
chrisharbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fester2000 View Post
Hey, thanks for sharing your thoughts - had you upgraded the unit to the latest firmware (v1.10, I believe)? I didn't hear previous versions, but the beta testers swear that there was a big step up from the firmware on the shipped units (1.1, I think) and the latest, FWIW.

Out of curiosity, when you play GR4 or AT3, what interface are you using? And how's the latency with those?

Cheers,

Fester2k
I didn't. I didn't want to go through all of that software loading and stuff so if this was a factor, it's fair enough.

My soundcard is an maudio profire 610, the latency is currently at 9ms (round trip)

Note: compared to all the videos and examples out there I couldn't get a tone that was even close....so maybe it was me. But, 500 bucks for something that isn't even as flexible as software was going to have to SMOKE in order to not go back. I didn't want to get it dirty or scratched or something so that the next owner wouldn't feel it was used.
chrisharbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:18 PM   #51
stratman

Quote:
I've been meaning to start recording the HD500 to let folks hear it, and I finally fired up Reaper to start doing just that. But I'd recently downloaded a backing track of "It's Love" by King's X, and while I really don't care much for Tabor's tone, I absolutely *love* playing the song. So I dialed up a dual tone that tries to pay homage to Tabor's tone by pushing the mids and treble like crazy and backing way off the gain - it's a JCM 800 on the L and a Recto on the right (delayed 20 ms using a digital delay to help separate the sounds a bit). It's not anywhere close to what Tabor's sound actually sounds like, but it does have a lot of mids and highs, bordering on obnoxious ...
Thanks for posting that. Just to be clear, did you get a backing track without the guitar and is that you playing the rhythm? That sound has promise to me. I still need to try one of these units.

If that is you playing the rhythm, then my compliments because that's a really nice feel you've got there.

Where did you get the backing track from?

Pete
stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:19 PM   #52
Chris_P_Critter

Quote:

Agreed.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:15 PM   #53
Jim Roseberry

BTW, To anyone wanting to get a sense of what the HD series sounds like, the sound examples on the Line-6 website are **terrible** (IMO)
Based on those examples, I wouldn't have given the HD series any consideration.

My advise is to checkout the HD series in person.
Strip off all the EFX... and just listen/play the various amp/cab/mic combinations (perferably with a familiar guitar).
Old 10-26-2010, 07:56 PM   #54
fester2000

Quote:
My advise is to checkout the HD series in person.
Strip off all the EFX... and just listen/play the various amp/cab/mic combinations (perferably with a familiar guitar).
+1,000,000 here.

Cheers,

Fester2k
Old 10-26-2010, 08:00 PM   #55
fester2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman View Post
Thanks for posting that. Just to be clear, did you get a backing track without the guitar and is that you playing the rhythm? That sound has promise to me. I still need to try one of these units.

If that is you playing the rhythm, then my compliments because that's a really nice feel you've got there.

Where did you get the backing track from?

Pete
Yes, the backing track has no guitar and I'm playing the rhythm. Thanks for the compliments - very humbling!

Here's where I got the backing track:

http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/

And here's the link to the track itself:

http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/pl...x/its_love.htm

While I'm pasting links, here's the raw guitar track:

http://db.tt/Z6CFftq

Cheers,

Fester2k
Old 10-26-2010, 08:34 PM   #56
vassago

Repackaged X3 or not, it still sounds dry and digital but at least the new HDs don't completely kill the guitar's natural tone like the X3 does.

I still say buy a Boss GT and a real tube amp with a good attenuator, no Line6 modelling has ever come close to that...it may eventually but they are not there yet.

Btw, I've owned an podxt live for 5 years and I've gotten sick of it and have finally sold it. I have not looked back and have no regrets.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:29 PM   #57
chrisharbin

I think a shoot out with various people, clips, different setups....highly subjective...but could be fun.
chrisharbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:18 AM   #58
fester2000

Default Nice Dr. Z clip

Here's a pretty good example of what the HD500 sounds like - this is from a German dude named Hans who's had one for awhile.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...howPlayer=true

What I like about this clip (in addition to the tasty chops) is the nakedness of the tone - you really get a good sense of how natural these amps sound, IMHO.

Cheers,

Fester2k
Old 11-01-2010, 02:33 AM   #59
pbk

Finally tried an HD500 this weekend. I was determined to buy one, but made the mistake to test it first. It *does* sound better than the old PODs. However, as some have already noticed, the "digital" sound characteristic is still there and the more time you spend with it, the more it becomes noticeable. I don't get this feeling, for example, with many of the patches of my Roland VG-99 (although with some of them I do). I think it is mostly repackaged technology with some filter changes and processing bit-rate improvements, specially in the models.

10 years ago I would have sold my soul for one, but after some 30 minutes I was utterly uninterested. The monochrome itsy bitsy screen didn't help either, it is almost an offense for today's display technology. It looks like they decided to drop it in the unit at the very last moment. I just headed home to drown my sorrow in Halloween chocolate.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:21 AM   #60
pattonfreak1

Ola Englund pitting the POD HD 500 recto against the AxeFX recto:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPlPzuiMZOU

Fuckin sweet
Old 11-01-2010, 09:43 AM   #61
shemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattonfreak1 View Post
Ola Englund pitting the POD HD 500 recto against the AxeFX recto:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPlPzuiMZOU

Fuckin sweet
I love Ola's Youtube vids.
shemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:42 AM   #62
SEA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJyNx2 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmcHJ...ext=1&index=14 this is good example. according to the guy he said it doesnt respond quite like the axefx while playing.
I like this guys demo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GELZp...eature=related

After hearing him I'm getting more GAS for this thing.

My "Needs" and "Wants" are 2 different things (perhaps) like...

1. I "Want" an Axe FX Ultra and a custom made tube amp with killer 2X12 speakers miced up in another room where I can turn it up!

2. My "Needs" are something that comes closer in amps and cabs than my VG-99. I also am considering getting the new Variax MKII and the POD HD500. Could be a killer combination.

I probably will keep my VG-99 since there are some cool tones in it and the guitar modeling is pretty good.

Now there are some who say that all these external devices (and yes... even the mighty Axe FX) can't touch PC software like Amplitube 3, Guitar Rig 4, etc., because all these units are all software based anyway, and since they do not have the processing power or a PC then they are not going to top it.

Now on the other hand, isn't it all about how the code is written? Take Reaper for example. If the software/code is written great, then the sound should be great correct? However there are other things to consider like AD converters.

Does anyone know if Line6 upgrade their converters with the new POD HD? Also, what about running this unit through external converters like great mic pres or the Focusrite Liquid Saffire pres? How will this unit sound then?

Any thoughts?

http://www.facebook.com/jamieseamusic
SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:44 AM   #63
Bevosss

Location: Propaganda Now! 100% verified propaganda right here...

Axe-fx is better on this vid definitely, I'm guessing Ola used the onboard Pod cab sims, it has that slightly middy/buzzy/less definition kinda sound, real noticable on the single note riffs.

Love to hear the same comparison with Pod-RedWirez Uberkab cab sim instead, or even through the fx return of a miked recto...that would be a fairer matchup. Line 6 is a bit stupid for designng such a cool product, and not licensing some awesome cab sims...everybody has told them their previous cabs sucked, so they had fair warning!

You can get around it if inconveniently by running Reverberate/Redwirez in the studio, or into a guitar power amp live, the only ones who really miss out are those who run direct live.

Wicked tune anyway! I especially liked the dog...
Old 11-02-2010, 04:16 PM   #64
SEA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieso View Post
As a former and current customer of Line6 my opinion, based on about 12 years of experience with quite a few of their products, is simply this: good software burdened by junk hardware and AD/DA that varies between mediocre to atrocious. If you're okay with throwing your money away on disposable goods then you'll probably be happy with it.

As a marketing and hype machine, Line6 may be unrivaled but as a manufacturer of McAmps (etc.) they do no better than their competitors (Digitech et al) at the low end of the market. If you're lucky whatever you buy from them will last a good while and, if you're unlucky, it will break shortly after the warranty period expires.

Is it going to sound and feel like a 'real' amp? We can fool ourselves into believing anything we want to believe. ;-) L6 has been making that claim since day one and they've never managed to pull it off, IMO.

YMMV
Axe To Grind by Chance???

Hey... if it's real I know how disappointing it can be when companies let you down.

SEA

http://www.facebook.com/jamieseamusic
SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:22 AM   #65
Magicbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA View Post
Now there are some who say that all these external devices (and yes... even the mighty Axe FX) can't touch PC software like Amplitube 3, Guitar Rig 4, etc., because all these units are all software based anyway, and since they do not have the processing power or a PC then they are not going to top it.

Now on the other hand, isn't it all about how the code is written? Take Reaper for example. If the software/code is written great, then the sound should be great correct? However there are other things to consider like AD converters.

Does anyone know if Line6 upgrade their converters with the new POD HD? Also, what about running this unit through external converters like great mic pres or the Focusrite Liquid Saffire pres? How will this unit sound then?

Any thoughts?
I'm pretty sure the converters are the same as the M13/X3. The processor is "slightly" more powerful (same chip with more cpu cycles) than the one on the M13/X3.

The only real difference is the amp algorithm code which has been updated with "10x more data" according to the ad copy. I hear a MUCH larger improvement from "X3 to HD" using new code and the same hardware compared to the move from "XT to X3" when the code stayed the same and the chip and converters were upgraded.

Now as far as software vs hardware I fell the hardware is definitely ahead of software. While the specs of a general purpose CPU may look much better than what you get in a SHARC, the sharc is optimized for audio applications and the code is written to take maximum advantage of the chips architecture. Also the hardware chip is DEDICATED to just running the modeling code.

A general purpose chip is running your OS, your DAW with all its tracks and plugins AND the modeling software.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:36 AM   #66
vassago

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the converters are the same as the M13/X3. The processor is "slightly" more powerful (same chip with more cpu cycles) than the one on the M13/X3.

The only real difference is the amp algorithm code which has been updated with "10x more data" according to the ad copy. I hear a MUCH larger improvement from "X3 to HD" using new code and the same hardware compared to the move from "XT to X3" when the code stayed the same and the chip and converters were upgraded.

Now as far as software vs hardware I fell the hardware is definitely ahead of software. While the specs of a general purpose CPU may look much better than what you get in a SHARC, the sharc is optimized for audio applications and the code is written to take maximum advantage of the chips architecture. Also the hardware chip is DEDICATED to just running the modeling code.

A general purpose chip is running your OS, your DAW with all its tracks and plugins AND the modeling software.
Many don't agree with me but as an ex-owner of 5 years of a PODxt Live, the X3 was a joke and nothing could justify upgrading from the XT. For someone who did not own an XT, yes maybe, but as an "upgrade"...Line6 missed the ball there.

The HD, it is an improvement over the XT/X3, Axe Fx still reigns supreme in the physical modelers world, but if I throw in Guitar Rig 4 in the equation...GR4 never ceases to impress me sound quality wise but you do need a tube preamp to (StudioV3 for example) to plug in the PC to compensate for the "digitalness" of GR4...and even then, it still sounds much better than my now sold XT.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:08 AM   #67
BenoA

Quote:
Originally Posted by vassago View Post
I still say buy a Boss GT and a real tube amp with a good attenuator, no Line6 modelling has ever come close to that...it may eventually but they are not there yet.
I've been using a Boss GT8 for over 4 years now with 3 various tube amps (4 cables method). Amps were: Marshall DSL50, JCM900, Peavey 6505 and Traynor YCV40. Also a Weber attenuator.

The amp sims in the GT8 are OK but that's about it, nothing to rave about. Good to make a quick demo but I don't use it live as I shut them off and with the 4 cables method, I loop my tube amp pre into ther GT8.

As for the FX in the GT8, well, some are good, some aren't. It all depends according to your own presonnal preferences.

I'd really like to get my hands on a new HD and loop it with my amps to hear those FX coming from the M9/M13.

I also own, a GuitarPort, UX2 and PodFarm 2. Funny that I barely use PodFarm as I've been spoiled by some free amp sims available out there.

So here is my question, as anyone been using a M9/M13/HD with a good tube amp for FX only?
BenoA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:28 AM   #68
Magicbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by vassago View Post
Many don't agree with me but as an ex-owner of 5 years of a PODxt Live, the X3 was a joke and nothing could justify upgrading from the XT. For someone who did not own an XT, yes maybe, but as an "upgrade"...Line6 missed the ball there.

The HD, it is an improvement over the XT/X3, Axe Fx still reigns supreme in the physical modelers world, but if I throw in Guitar Rig 4 in the equation...GR4 never ceases to impress me sound quality wise but you do need a tube preamp to (StudioV3 for example) to plug in the PC to compensate for the "digitalness" of GR4...and even then, it still sounds much better than my now sold XT.
I think we're mostly agreeing here. I also own an XT and felt no desire to upgrade to the X3. I heard almost no improvement.

The HD is different and appreciably better especially in terms of "feel" or dynamics. The clean tones on the HD (Twin and AC-30 especially) are GOOD. The clean tones on the XT/X3 were a joke IMO. Roland/boss cleans were better than the XT ever was.

Now as far as software sims go I'm kinda digging the free standalone amp sims from Studio Devil (BVC), simulanalog, acme bargig, Lepoulin and TSE. For high gain tones I think these freebies hold their own with similar amps from the commercial suites.

have you compared GR4 to Studio Devil, Revalver III and amplitude?

I like Revalver because you can go in and tweak actual resistor and capacitor values which is what I used to do with my real tube amps too.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:31 AM   #69
Magicbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenoA View Post

So here is my question, as anyone been using a M9/M13/HD with a good tube amp for FX only?
Yes, my live rig is a Heritage Victory tube combo and an M13. It sounds great for most things although I find some of the mod FX to not hold up compared with Boss and digitech. However, the sounds are all usable and the form factor/convenience is unbeatable.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:37 PM   #70
fester2000

Quote:
Until about two weeks ago, I was using an M13 with a Egnater Rebel 65. I sold the M13 for the HD500 and haven't missed the M13. I agree that not all the mods are phenomenal on the M13/HD series, but the tri chorus does just about everything I want it to, along with the Dimension D (I still have my old Roland GP-16 with that Dimension D effect).

Cheers,

Fester2k
Old 11-03-2010, 06:59 PM   #71
Bevosss

Quote:
Until about two weeks ago, I was using an M13 with a Egnater Rebel 65. I sold the M13 for the HD500 and haven't missed the M13. I agree that not all the mods are phenomenal on the M13/HD series, but the tri chorus does just about everything I want it to, along with the Dimension D (I still have my old Roland GP-16 with that Dimension D effect).
Which fx specifically does the Pod lose on? How would you rate the Line 6 delays and reverb against the GT-8?

I've been using the 4 cable method with the GT-8 for a few years too now, but the HD500 has me a little interested...the Roland amps aren't that impressive to me.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:27 PM   #72
fester2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevosss View Post
Which fx specifically does the Pod lose on? How would you rate the Line 6 delays and reverb against the GT-8?

I've been using the 4 cable method with the GT-8 for a few years too now, but the HD500 has me a little interested...the Roland amps aren't that impressive to me.
I've not used the GT-8 in depth, but I am familiar with the generally excellent Boss effects. I'm a bit of a forum junkie, so all I can really do is report what I gather from reports of other users.

I think the clear area where the Boss excels is the mods. The Pod may also lost a few points on the overdrive and distortion stomps, but I'm pleased with them.

I absolutely love the Pod's delays and verbs. I just sold a Digitech DL-8 to help fund the difference between the M13's sale price and my purchase of the HD500. I loved that delay pedal, but there really isn't anything that pedal can do that the HD500 can't.

Don't know if this is useful for you. Hope so.

Cheers,

Fester2k
Old 11-04-2010, 02:36 AM   #73
Bevosss

Ahh, banished to the netherworld of compatability! I guess that's all for this thread then, a shame as it was quite informative.

Thanks for the input fester, it's mostly the delays I am interested in in comparison to Boss.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:19 AM   #74
BenoA

So the 'verbs rock in the HD500 Fester?

I don't like them much in the GT8, the spring model sucks completely! Chorus and Phaser are OK in the GT but the Flanger could be better.

DOes the HD500 have an harmonizer? THe one in the GT8 ain't the best but you have 30 programs that let you decide what note is to be played depending on the note coming in. So that let's you create your own harmonies.

BTW, to the GT8 owners here using it in 4CM, I'd be curious to share some patches with ya. I'm far from getting rid of mine yet...
Old 11-04-2010, 12:06 PM   #75
fester2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevosss View Post
Ahh, banished to the netherworld of compatability! I guess that's all for this thread then, a shame as it was quite informative.

Thanks for the input fester, it's mostly the delays I am interested in in comparison to Boss.
I should have thought of this before, but you might reach out to Karl Houseknecht over on the Line6 forums - he currently owns both the GT10 and the HD500 and likes them both a lot. He'll be able to give you a pretty detailed comparison between the delays on each unit. He owns or has owned most every modeler there ever was, including the Axe-Fx, and lots of real gear (last I checked he's got a Fryette SigX and a Marshall TSL).

BTW, he sold his AxeFx at least in part b/c of the sounds he gets from his HD500.

Cheers,

Fester2k
Old 11-04-2010, 12:13 PM   #76
fester2000

Quote:
So the 'verbs rock in the HD500 Fester?
Yes, I like them a lot. Some of them are so good that they use tons of the HD500's horsepower. But the spring and '63 Spring are gorgeous to my ears.

Quote:
I don't like them much in the GT8, the spring model sucks completely! Chorus and Phaser are OK in the GT but the Flanger could be better.
I don't think you'll have any problem with the two spring verbs in the HD - they are really nice.

Quote:
DOes the HD500 have an harmonizer? THe one in the GT8 ain't the best but you have 30 programs that let you decide what note is to be played depending on the note coming in. So that let's you create your own harmonies.
Yes, it's an intelligent harmonizer and you tell it what key you're playing in (A, B, G, etc.) and what version of the scale you're using (major, minor, pentatonic, etc.), and it spits out harmonies all night. They sound a bit processed to my ears, but it tracks really well. To me, the best way to get the harmonizer to sound nice is to keep the harmonized mix pretty low - set the mix level @ about 30% maximum.

As I mention above, Karl H. on the Line6 boards is a great resource for questions re gear, as he's owned nearly all of it and knows the good and bad aspects of most gear.

Cheers,

Fester2k
Old 11-04-2010, 12:20 PM   #77
BenoA

Quote:
Yes, it's an intelligent harmonizer and you tell it what key you're playing in (A, B, G, etc.) and what version of the scale you're using (major, minor, pentatonic, etc.), and it spits out harmonies all night. They sound a bit processed to my ears, but it tracks really well. To me, the best way to get the harmonizer to sound nice is to keep the harmonized mix pretty low - set the mix level @ about 30% maximum.
One more question about the harmonizer on the HD500. May be I wasn't clear enough in my previous reply.

Beyond the regular scale harmonization, in the GT8 I can create my own custom scale or harmonies. Let's say when I play a C, then the GT8 could play a E one octave lower, and when I'll play a C#, it would play a E again but one octave higher and I could program all the eleven notes like that. I used E as an example but it could be any notes in an octave range up or low.

Is the HD500 capable of this?
Old 11-04-2010, 12:28 PM   #78
fester2000

Quote:
One more question about the harmonizer on the HD500. May be I wasn't clear enough in my previous reply.

Beyond the regular scale harmonization, in the GT8 I can create my own custom scale or harmonies. Let's say when I play a C, then the GT8 could play a E one octave lower, and when I'll play a C#, it would play a E again but one octave higher and I could program all the eleven notes like that. I used E as an example but it could be any notes in an octave range up or low.

Is the HD500 capable of this?
No, that sounds crazy! Cool, but crazy! Do you really use that feature? And, if so, how do you use it?

Cheers,

Fester2k
Old 11-04-2010, 01:25 PM   #79
BenoA

Quote:
No, that sounds crazy! Cool, but crazy! Do you really use that feature? And, if so, how do you use it?
To play Iron Maiden! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixHskCTvz8I

I created the harmonies on 3 patches. 2 for the lick at 0:54 and 1 for the end part. If you look closely, you'll see me tap my pedalboard.

These could not have been done without that feature as the harmonies were not following any specific scale.

No comment on the playing... please... as I did a few mistakes... I blame it on my friend "Jack Daniels" courtesy of the venue.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:14 PM   #80
fester2000

Quote:
To play Iron Maiden! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixHskCTvz8I

I created the harmonies on 3 patches. 2 for the lick at 0:54 and 1 for the end part. If you look closely, you'll see me tap my pedalboard.

These could not have been done without that feature as the harmonies were not following any specific scale.

No comment on the playing... please... as I did a few mistakes... I blame it on my friend "Jack Daniels" courtesy of the venue.
Very cool!! Presumably, you could just do an octave and a third down and the audience will never know the difference.

Cheers,

Fester2k