Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 10-23-2010, 12:14 PM   #1
SEA
Human being with feelings

Default XP64 or Windows 7 64... THAT is the Question!

I have XP64 loaded and running but my old faithful WaMi 192X doesn't like the XP64 drivers (beta).

So... I either:

A. Load Windows 7 64bit and download their drivers or...

B. Get another interface (which I REALLY would like anyway). I'm getting ready to order the Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 ;-)

However, while I'm here waiting on my new interface.... I'm trying to install a new 320 gig hard drive and load Windows 7 64bit, BUT... when I do, I get this message.

"A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB Flash Drive, please insert now"

Now earlier today I was thinking "What if I just go with XP64 and forgo all this "rigmarole"

So what's your take Reaper addicts!

Jamie

http://www.facebook.com/jamieseamusic
SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:19 PM   #2
norbury brook

all versions of Xp are going to be obsolete very soon so I don't see any point in using anything other than windows 7

MC
Old 10-23-2010, 04:54 PM   #3
pixeltarian

windows 7 32 bit. the pros outweigh the cons.
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:24 PM   #4
Ed Zeppeli

I quite like Windows 7. It's one of their better ones.
Ed Zeppeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:26 PM   #5
Jason Brian Merrill

depends on ram.

up to 4 gig with no prospect of upgrading - windows 7 x86

over 4 gig, period - windows 7 x64

end of story.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:42 PM   #6
mr. moon

I'm sticking with WinXP x64 well past the time Win7 SP1 is rolled out. I administer 350+ PCs at work with Win7 x64 and it's been nothing short of a nightmare. If you're forced to make the move to Win7 x64 due to drivers, I would just make sure to test any/all M$ updates before you roll them out as they're currently trying to patch the core OS so many of the updates can really FUBAR applications and drivers.

www.soundclick.com/mrmoon
mr. moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:05 PM   #7
jamieskeen

I personally have had great luck with my win7 x64 system. I was scared at first but after disabling the security center, windows defender, firewall, automatic updates and the windows search function i have had nothing but success. my system ran well with nothing disabled but i can get lower latency with those services turned off.
jamieskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:52 AM   #8
ivansc

2 core AMD system with 2gb ram has XP64. 6 core AMD with 4gb ram ( and counting) is on win7 64bit after an extended flirtation with 32bit.

Both work fine with reaper but win7 64bit is less fine than XP64 when I use Sonar.
Which is why Cakewalk are unlikely to get any more of my money.
Oh and I just bought the Reaper 3.xx licence, mostly so I could use SWS extensions
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:54 AM   #9
joelsampson

Windows 7 64-bit - it's the future. I was an early adopter (it's a long story). All software written in the last ten years ran great and all hardware with some driver updates.

I'm using MOTU I/O for both MIDI and audio - works solid. As does a M-Audio Fast Track Pro and a little ProSonus FW audio interface. Printers and scanners were not a problem.

Of course, REAPER runs like a hose! As does Acid and Sonar if you want options.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:37 AM   #10
norbury brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. moon View Post
I'm sticking with WinXP x64 well past the time Win7 SP1 is rolled out. I administer 350+ PCs at work with Win7 x64 and it's been nothing short of a nightmare. If you're forced to make the move to Win7 x64 due to drivers, I would just make sure to test any/all M$ updates before you roll them out as they're currently trying to patch the core OS so many of the updates can really FUBAR applications and drivers.
while this is your experience of windows 7 at your workplace, I feel it isn't relevant to a someone using a computer or two as a DAW in their studio.

I switched to windows 7 x64 from OSX 10.5.x when the beta became available and I've had no problems whatsoever, it's been the best DAW O.S I've ever used.

If your current machine works great with Xp then by all means keep using it until you have a need to upgrade as a working system is a working system.

when you do need to upgrade then I'd have no hesitation in recommending you do so to windows 7 x64.

Bear in mind if you want tech support for your hardware/software you'll find that within a short period of time you'll be unsupported on windows XP.

The latest version of Wavelab is only supported on windows 7 and snow leopard 10.6...

MC
Old 10-24-2010, 04:43 AM   #11
panmanphil

Default I'd have to agree on Win 7 64

After many years struggling to make the real time linux with Ardour work, I have finally come to terms with Win 7 64 + Reaper as my toolset. Windows 7 has been phenomenal for my system, more stable than anything I've used before outside of server operating systems. And, as others have said, it is the future. Finally, you almost have to look at Windows 7 as Vista Service Pack 2. Vista was OK and I still use it at work, but most of the bugs were worked out there and Windows 7 is the result.
panmanphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:19 AM   #12
Jason Brian Merrill

Quote:
actually my experience with winxp x64 was a total nightmare, while the middle betas of win7 x64 were great, so I suppose I have had an opposite experience.

Interesting, none of the updates have done anything differently to any of my applications or drivers.

the only significant change was when presonus came out with an actual win7 driver, and I had to stop using the firewire legacy driver. Which was an obvious and simple fix...

so I would actually NOT recommend winxp x64 for any DAW work. It was pretty unstable in my setup.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:35 PM   #13
steveo42

Quote:
Originally Posted by panmanphil View Post
After many years struggling to make the real time linux with Ardour work, I have finally come to terms with Win 7 64 + Reaper as my toolset. Windows 7 has been phenomenal for my system, more stable than anything I've used before outside of server operating systems. And, as others have said, it is the future. Finally, you almost have to look at Windows 7 as Vista Service Pack 2. Vista was OK and I still use it at work, but most of the bugs were worked out there and Windows 7 is the result.
I gave up on Linux for DAW work a long time ago.

Too much of a massive headache that a 10 second install of Reaper can cure.

I went from XP to Windows 7 x64 and I have been very happy with the performance. On the same system Q9400 4gb etc I get lower latency and can run more plugins than under Windows XP.
Plus I like the look and feel of Windows 7 better.

I avoided Vista like the plague but got involved with the public Windows 7 Beta and I was stunned at how good it ran despite being a beta.

I would never go back to XP after running Windows 7 x64.
steveo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:48 PM   #14
theopposite

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo42 View Post
I gave up on Linux for DAW work a long time ago.

Too much of a massive headache that a 10 second install of Reaper can cure.

I went from XP to Windows 7 x64 and I have been very happy with the performance. On the same system Q9400 4gb etc I get lower latency and can run more plugins than under Windows XP.
Plus I like the look and feel of Windows 7 better.

I avoided Vista like the plague but got involved with the public Windows 7 Beta and I was stunned at how good it ran despite being a beta.

I would never go back to XP after running Windows 7 x64.
agreed on all points...
theopposite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:03 PM   #15
mr. moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
while this is your experience of windows 7 at your workplace, I feel it isn't relevant to a someone using a computer or two as a DAW in their studio.

I switched to windows 7 x64 from OSX 10.5.x when the beta became available and I've had no problems whatsoever, it's been the best DAW O.S I've ever used.

If your current machine works great with Xp then by all means keep using it until you have a need to upgrade as a working system is a working system.

when you do need to upgrade then I'd have no hesitation in recommending you do so to windows 7 x64.

Bear in mind if you want tech support for your hardware/software you'll find that within a short period of time you'll be unsupported on windows XP.

The latest version of Wavelab is only supported on windows 7 and snow leopard 10.6...

MC
Well, I guess we'll agree to disagree ...respectfully, of course!

I've had rock-solid experience with WinXP x64 for years now as a DAW, so for me there's no real impetus to make a change as all my software is supported and my hardware is fully supported with stable drivers. If I were faced with a situation where this were not the case, Win7 x64 would be the way I would go.

www.soundclick.com/mrmoon
mr. moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:05 PM   #16
steveo42

Quote:
Well, I guess we'll agree to disagree ...respectfully, of course!

I've had rock-solid experience with WinXP x64 for years now as a DAW, so for me there's no real impetus to make a change as all my software is supported and my hardware is fully supported with stable drivers. If I were faced with a situation where this were not the case, Win7 x64 would be the way I would go.
Absolutely and I would give you the same advice if you asked.

It's the applications and their performance that counts.
The operating system is just a nasty necessity and if what you are running is stable and works for you, don't screw with it IMHO.
steveo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:15 PM   #17
Kihoalu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieskeen View Post
I personally have had great luck with my win7 x64 system. I was scared at first but after disabling the security center, windows defender, firewall, automatic updates and the windows search function i have had nothing but success. my system ran well with nothing disabled but i can get lower latency with those services turned off.
So, how DO you disable all that stuff in Win7??

I used to go the the site "sysinternals.com" to get that kind of info, but they were bought-out by MS and now are not reliable or trustworthy.

Is there another place that can show me and others how to turn off all that crap in Win7?

Mucho Mahalo...
Old 10-25-2010, 01:05 PM   #18
Kihoalu

To answer my own question here is one site with Win7 tweaking info:

http://www.blackviper.com/Windows_7/servicecfg.htm

But it lists just too much stuff, hard to sort out the good things to turn off from the ones that don't matter much (with several hundred "services" listed).

Old 10-25-2010, 01:46 PM   #19
Jim Roseberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA View Post
I have XP64 loaded and running but my old faithful WaMi 192X doesn't like the XP64 drivers (beta).

So... I either:

A. Load Windows 7 64bit and download their drivers or...

B. Get another interface (which I REALLY would like anyway). I'm getting ready to order the Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 ;-)

However, while I'm here waiting on my new interface.... I'm trying to install a new 320 gig hard drive and load Windows 7 64bit, BUT... when I do, I get this message.

"A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB Flash Drive, please insert now"

Now earlier today I was thinking "What if I just go with XP64 and forgo all this "rigmarole"

So what's your take Reaper addicts!

Jamie

FWIW, Replacing the audio interface will be necessary soon (even if you put it off for the moment)... so I think it makes sense to be planning for that.

Regarding the OS, Win7x64 is the only choice if you're looking toward the future. That said, if you're running old hardware, Win7 is more bloated (happens with each new OS) and runs best on recent make hardware.
Jim Roseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:47 AM   #20
JonnyHomes

Windows 7 X64 has been a difficult experience for myself and my searches around the internet show me I'm not the only one. It seems that Win 7 doesn't play nicely with others when it comes to audio.

It's nice to know that Win 7 can work well for people (as there are people in this thread who swear by it) but if I were you, I would stick with XP. I wish I had.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:18 AM   #21
norbury brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyHomes View Post
Windows 7 X64 has been a difficult experience for myself and my searches around the internet show me I'm not the only one. It seems that Win 7 doesn't play nicely with others when it comes to audio.

It's nice to know that Win 7 can work well for people (as there are people in this thread who swear by it) but if I were you, I would stick with XP. I wish I had.

If you have drivers for your hardware then I don't see how windows 7 x64 doesn't play nicely with others for audio.

Here's two things windows 7 is better than xp for audio wise.

1: better multi threading/scaling
2: the GUI on windows 7 runs from your graphics card not your cpu like in Xp so there's now less chance of any interference from the GUI.

There's also a lot of very useful general day to day things that i find useful too.For example, using the windows+up/down/left/right arrows to Maximise/minimise or maximise to left or right of screen so two windows can be maximised side by side.
Or quick launching your programs with 'windows key + 1-10' opens the corresponding numbered program on your taskbar.

Right clicking on the program icon in the task bar gives you a recent projects menu.

there's loads of other stuff to that just makes the day to day usage a better experience than XP.

MC
Old 10-26-2010, 05:34 AM   #22
Ed Zeppeli

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyHomes View Post

It seems Win 7 plays nicely with audio here! In fact, it's been flawless on my two year old machine.
Ed Zeppeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:35 AM   #23
mtsproductions

Just downloaded Win7 64 Upgrade from Microsoft for $64.95 (student discount)

I am not really looking forward to re-installing and re-authorizing everything like Komplete 7, but another 4gb of ram is defenetly worth it, XP 32 has been flaky with my setup lately so I went for the upgrade. XP 64 bit only works with a special recipe that includes a hand full of drivers at which point you might as well be using a self contained system like pro-tools.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:14 AM   #24
arkima

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsproductions View Post
Just downloaded Win7 64 Upgrade from Microsoft for $64.95 (student discount)
Well done! That's awesome mtsproductions - congrats!

@SEA
Well, I just wanted to say that I'm running XP64 and have for a while but for a number of reasons I'm actually pretty sold on upgrading to Windows 7 x64 when I can afford it.

I'm not sure if I'm right but I've been under the impression that Midi devices in general will show and work better on Windows 7. Also, that because it can run in XP mode - I'm hoping that means if the need arises you can run 32 bit hardware drivers in this mode - but I'm not up to speed with how this all actually works.

Compatibility with newer hardware on XP64 is a bit of a concern I reckon. Do not buy a new graphics card (unless you know otherwise) to run on a XP set up. I had to replace a dead Graphics card some time back and bought a 2 series nVidia card and after experiencing a fair bit of re-drawing issues (mostly in Reaper but a few here and there's too) I've read up and found out because of the way XP handles 2D graphics (which is basically everything you'd use apart from 3D games) there's a lot of new and kind of new cards (nVidia and ATI) that don't get on with XP when it comes to drawing 2D.

I think my set up would be working better on XP64 if I had made more informed hardware choices....

Anyway, I hope this post will be of some good food for thought in your quest.
arkima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:02 AM   #25
SEA

I'm trying to install Windows 7 64bit on my 2 plus year old daw.

I have the following components.

1. ABIT IP35 Pro XE LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

2. INTEL core 2 quad q6600 (BX80562Q6600) 2.4ghz

3. 8 gigs of Corsair ram

4. NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS

5. CORSAIR 620HX PSU

So far it SEEMS to not like my DVD drive (or something) and I keep getting this error.

Quote:
"A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a floppy disk, cd, dvd, or USB flash drive please insert now."
After trying many times to up grade the drivers etc., it all seems to no avail (unless perhaps I buy a another DVD drive).

However, I do have XP64 freshly loaded working great on another drive (which is why I'm even able to communicate with the Reapers).

So I was thinking... "Why not just use XP64? Like... if everything works, what's wrong with it?"

Now I have to check and se if the Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 and the liquid Mix 16 work ok with XP64 and if it does then sweet!

I am saving up for a new system as we speak, but here's what I'm thinking... if everything works WITH XP64, you could use it for years to come as long as your gear and drivers work correct?

And I agree with Jim Roseberry. YES! Upgrade is inevitable! Windows 7 is the future for sure.

Any input on the said above would (as always) be most appreciated ;-)

SEA

Old 10-26-2010, 08:17 AM   #26
mtsproductions

are you booting from the cd or trying to just run the installer?
Old 10-26-2010, 10:17 AM   #27
SEA

Quote:
are you booting from the cd or trying to just run the installer?
Well... I would assume I'm booting from the DVD since the internal hard drive has no info on it.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:19 AM   #28
Jason Brian Merrill

since you have the same specs as me, i can only say you have a bad disc.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:24 AM   #29
SEA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
since you have the same specs as me, i can only say you have a bad disc.
Perhaps... but it does go through the whole procedure like... it ask me what language... starts to try to install... yada yada yada.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:39 AM   #30
mtsproductions

Quote:
Perhaps... but it does go through the whole procedure like... it ask me what language... starts to try to install... yada yada yada.
Sounds like a bad disc to me, like Jason said..
Old 10-27-2010, 07:08 AM   #31
mtsproductions

So installed Win 7 64 last night, the initial install took about 45-60 min and after installing a few drivers and komplete7 just the apps not the sample libraries a total of 2 hours, i have yet to install the updates from NI service center and a bunch of plugins and softsynths which i guesstimate another hour or so. Everything worked perfectly without any drivers installed from the exception of the onboard sound card but i went ahead and installed Nvidia drivers along with lan and sound drivers. I have yet to test reaper with plugins and softsynths but i am sure there wont be an issue. I've seem to misplaced my licence file for Reaper though who do i need to contact to get it anybody know?
Old 10-27-2010, 09:30 AM   #32
vassago

A 1974 Chevy Nova or a 2010 Acura TL ... your question is in the same line. The Nova was garbage on wheels but at the time it was among the best cars out there...the best of the worst...the problem is that WinXP 64 was never good, end of story. Any of you can say anything you want WinXP 64 was amoung the worst OS MS has put out after Millenium, it cashes all the time, the 32bits bridge is flaky at best, drivers for XP 64 are always buggy because companies never bothered to maintain them for the couple of users out there and concentrated on 32 bits, the majority. A half baked good product, is a bad product, had it been maintained and developped properly it could have been good...but it was left to rot and should be left to rot.

Windows 7 Pro is by far the best and most stable OS that has been made for the past 20 years. (exception made of OS/2...what if IBM had not killed it by there incompetence?...what if...)

MS is going to put me out of business, I see just about no PC win Win7 installed in my repair shop...just about none...thank goodness a lot of people still use Vista and XP
Old 11-04-2010, 06:20 AM   #33
mtsproductions

this is really pissing me off
Run as administrator, I am logged in as an administrator damn it!!
there are some applications that i can not get to right click and run as admin like antivirus updates. Another thing thats weired everytime i open Reaper 64 it runs my tc electonics installer, but it's allready installed? any ideas???
Old 11-04-2010, 07:01 AM   #34
sstillwell

Quote:
this is really pissing me off
Run as administrator, I am logged in as an administrator damn it!!
there are some applications that i can not get to right click and run as admin like antivirus updates. Another thing thats weired everytime i open Reaper 64 it runs my tc electonics installer, but it's allready installed? any ideas???
Logged in as Administrator != Run as Administrator. Windows 7 (and Vista, and Windows 2008 Server) use a least-permissions model such that programs do NOT run with escalated privileges no matter who you're logged in as...unless you tell them to. I believe that programs written to support UAC directly can request escalation when launched, but mostly, if you're going to install something that mucks with the registry, you'll need to Run As Administrator.

Instead of double-clicking to launch a program, right-click and "Run as Administrator". You'll get a UAC prompt asking if you want to do that (unless you've turned UAC off), then you're off to the races.

Scott
Old 11-04-2010, 07:15 AM   #35
mtsproductions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstillwell View Post
Instead of double-clicking to launch a program, right-click and "Run as Administrator". You'll get a UAC prompt asking if you want to do that (unless you've turned UAC off), then you're off to the races.

Scott
Thanks Scott
This is how i run all the installers by right clicking and choosing "run as administrator" but with things like antivirus updates i cant do that. How do i turn of the UAC?

I dont remember how i did this exactly but i went in and changed it to "run all programs as admin" mode, but its still doing it. And there is still the interface installer issue that happens every time i open Reaper64
Old 11-04-2010, 08:27 AM   #36
SEA

Quote:
Thanks Scott
This is how i run all the installers by right clicking and choosing "run as administrator" but with things like antivirus updates i cant do that. How do i turn of the UAC?

I dont remember how i did this exactly but i went in and changed it to "run all programs as admin" mode, but its still doing it. And there is still the interface installer issue that happens every time i open Reaper64
I know NOTHING about Windows 7 but I just googled "How to trun off the UAC in Windows 7"

Here's the link http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/1...-in-windows-7/

Hope it helps! ;-)

SEA

Old 11-04-2010, 08:39 AM   #37
mtsproductions

Quote:
I know NOTHING about Windows 7 but I just googled "How to trun off the UAC in Windows 7"

Here's the link http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/1...-in-windows-7/

Hope it helps! ;-)

SEA
cool thank you
Old 11-04-2010, 08:39 AM   #38
mtsproductions

did you get your firewire hooked up? SEA
Old 11-04-2010, 11:22 AM   #39
hwhalen

Win 7 64 on a recently purchased laptop
AMD Athlon II P320 DualCore with 4 gb memory

So far I like. Running 64 bit Reaper.
I can mix my ~16 track 96khz/32fp with some plugs.
Can't do it on my 2006 desktop. (Win XP/2 gb)

So, eventually I'll be moving the older platform forward with something new.

Cheers!
hwhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:05 PM   #40
SEA

Quote:
did you get your firewire hooked up? SEA
Not Yet! LOL

My Liquid Saffire 56 is coming Saturday so I'll have it hooked up pretty soon for sure