Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 11-05-2010, 03:44 AM   #41
SEA
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. moon View Post
I'm sticking with WinXP x64 well past the time Win7 SP1 is rolled out. I administer 350+ PCs at work with Win7 x64 and it's been nothing short of a nightmare. If you're forced to make the move to Win7 x64 due to drivers, I would just make sure to test any/all M$ updates before you roll them out as they're currently trying to patch the core OS so many of the updates can really FUBAR applications and drivers.
See... THIS is my concern right now with Windows 7. If you can get XP64 working well with your interface and drivers then what's the point of going to Windows 7X64?

Like... pick up an extra video card or motherboard for spares if you like and run it till the cows come home!

But I'm all for moving on to Win 7 X64. My big question is how does it perform next to XP64? like... is it faster? Slower? Jim Roseberry says Windows 7 X64 is bloated so does the "bloat" factor effect anything?

Also what about tweaks? I know in XP64 there are tweaks to make your system run fast for daws. How about Windows 7?

I'll load Windows 7X64 on a 2nd drive and test it out. I know JBM has the same system as I have except we have different interfaces. My Focusrite Liquid Saffire is coming this weekend and I'll have to see how it runs on XP64 and Windows 7X64. It would be nice to find out which OS can handle more VSTI's and have less CPU usage!

SEA

http://www.facebook.com/jamieseamusic
SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:16 AM   #42
findjammer

I've been running Win7 64bit since February. My connected kit includes Duende Classic (Firewire), Duende PCIe, MOTU Traveler Mk I, MIDIsport 8x8 ... all running flawlessly.

The Machine details are:

ASUS P6T Delux Mk 2
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8Ghz
6Gb Corsair
Belkin Firewire (TI chipset)
XFX GeForce GTS250
Old 11-05-2010, 07:26 AM   #43
SEA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsproductions View Post
did you get your firewire hooked up? SEA
I went to to hook it up and you know what? IT ALREADY WAS!!!!! LOL

I guess I should of check Device Manager first eh?

Says "Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE Host Controller"

So I should be good to go!

SEA

Old 11-05-2010, 07:27 AM   #44
SEA

Quote:
Originally Posted by findjammer View Post
I've been running Win7 64bit since February. My connected kit includes Duende Classic (Firewire), Duende PCIe, MOTU Traveler Mk I, MIDIsport 8x8 ... all running flawlessly.

The Machine details are:

ASUS P6T Delux Mk 2
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8Ghz
6Gb Corsair
Belkin Firewire (TI chipset)
XFX GeForce GTS250
Cool to Know! Looking forward to loading Win 7 X64 on my new drive.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:55 AM   #45
woolyloach

FWIW, I'm running Win7 64-bit on a Toshiba Satellite with a dual-core Turion and 4GB of RAM, 32-bit Reaper, a bazillion plugins, and get pretty darn good performance (and stable!) even with the lame-o on-board Realtek audio and ASIO4ALL!

If XP64 works for you and you're in production mode, switching is NOT a good thing. I'd set up a second machine, Win7 that one, and run in parallel until you're comfortable moving projects over.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:00 AM   #46
SEA

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolyloach View Post
FWIW, I'm running Win7 64-bit on a Toshiba Satellite with a dual-core Turion and 4GB of RAM, 32-bit Reaper, a bazillion plugins, and get pretty darn good performance (and stable!) even with the lame-o on-board Realtek audio and ASIO4ALL!

If XP64 works for you and you're in production mode, switching is NOT a good thing. I'd set up a second machine, Win7 that one, and run in parallel until you're comfortable moving projects over.
Actually... my hard drive I had for the past 3 years crashed, so this is a whole new system. I haven't installed any of my DAW programs, VSTis or plugs yet. Got my new Liquid Saffire 56 coming tomorrow so I'm starting "From The Ground UP!" as they say.

So I can either;

1. Install everything on XP64 or...

2. Load Win 7 X64 on a fresh drive (already installed on my computer) and THEN load everything new!

Choices eh?

SEA

Old 11-05-2010, 10:24 AM   #47
maxgrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kihoalu View Post
So, how DO you disable all that stuff in Win7??

I used to go the the site "sysinternals.com" to get that kind of info, but they were bought-out by MS and now are not reliable or trustworthy.

Is there another place that can show me and others how to turn off all that crap in Win7?

Mucho Mahalo...
Sysinternals is still run by Mark Russinovich, and he is a top-rate programmer and has in no way been co-opted by Microsoft. In fact I watched him speak at TechEd a couple of years back and I think he may be part of the reason Win7 is turning Microsoft's reputation around. And the program you're referring to, Autoruns, is still the best thing for what you are trying to do. Russinovich publishes most of his source code also so you can see for yourself what he's doing.
maxgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:19 PM   #48
findjammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA View Post
Cool to Know! Looking forward to loading Win 7 X64 on my new drive.
I stuffed a 10,000 RPM Velociraptor in this for the boot drive ... very nice ... I recommend doing that.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:20 PM   #49
Kihoalu

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgrant View Post
Sysinternals is still run by Mark Russinovich, and he is a top-rate programmer and has in no way been co-opted by Microsoft. In fact I watched him speak at TechEd a couple of years back and I think he may be part of the reason Win7 is turning Microsoft's reputation around. And the program you're referring to, Autoruns, is still the best thing for what you are trying to do. Russinovich publishes most of his source code also so you can see for yourself what he's doing.
So I glady "sit corrected", surprised he has not gone to the "dark side" yet. However, just like Justin's run-in with AOL, I predict he will eventually butt-heads with the powermongers of MS in a similar manner, and I'll bet that some of his OS snooping tools have already been weakened greatly or neutered by the empire.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:28 PM   #50
chrisharbin

Did we already mention (sorry I haven't read all of this) that xp....in any form is already starting to be dropped from support by some companies (PT being the latest I know of)? Sure, it's not discoed really fast but still I don't understand why anything other than win7/x64 would be a consideration in this day?
chrisharbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 04:11 AM   #51
norbury brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
while this is your experience of windows 7 at your workplace, I feel it isn't relevant to a someone using a computer or two as a DAW in their studio.

I switched to windows 7 x64 from OSX 10.5.x when the beta became available and I've had no problems whatsoever, it's been the best DAW O.S I've ever used.

If your current machine works great with Xp then by all means keep using it until you have a need to upgrade as a working system is a working system.

when you do need to upgrade then I'd have no hesitation in recommending you do so to windows 7 x64.

Bear in mind if you want tech support for your hardware/software you'll find that within a short period of time you'll be unsupported on windows XP.

The latest version of Wavelab is only supported on windows 7 and snow leopard 10.6...

MC

yes

MC
Old 11-08-2010, 04:55 AM   #52
SEA

Quote:
Originally Posted by vassago View Post
the problem is that WinXP 64 was never good, end of story. Any of you can say anything you want WinXP 64 was amoung the worst OS MS has put out after Millenium, it cashes all the time, the 32bits bridge is flaky at best, drivers for XP 64 are always buggy because companies never bothered to maintain them for the couple of users out there and concentrated on 32 bits, the majority. A half baked good product, is a bad product, had it been maintained and developped properly it could have been good...but it was left to rot and should be left to rot.

Windows 7 Pro is by far the best and most stable OS that has been made for the past 20 years.
Just re-reading this thread since my Liquid Saffire arrived this weekend. I guess the SMART thing to do is try to install Win 7X64 again on my new drive and see if everything is working there first, vs. installing to XP64.

One question I have is this. Even though Win 7 is more bloated than XP64, how does it do in performance with daws compared to XP64?

Norbury Brook had some good points regarding Win 7 like:

1: Better multi threading/scaling

2: The GUI on windows 7 runs from your graphics card not your cpu like in XP so there's now less chance of any interference from the GUI.

Has anyone else notice a better performance with Win 7 when it comes to handling VSTis and plugs?

SEA

Old 11-08-2010, 05:04 AM   #53
Jason Brian Merrill

Quote:
Even though Win 7 is more bloated than XP64
--its not.

/thread
Old 11-08-2010, 05:18 AM   #54
SEA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
--its not.

/thread
I was just going by what Jim Roseberry said:

Quote:
"Win7 is more bloated (happens with each new OS) and runs best on recent make hardware."
SEA

Old 11-08-2010, 06:05 AM   #55
norbury brook

windows 7 runs on netbooks so I think that in itself tells you something

Honestly, windows 7 x64 is the best DAW OS I've ever used, it really is that good. As a day to day OS it's very good too, i've not missed my Mac now in over 2 months of daily using win 7 x64 on my laptop instead of my MacBook pro for general computing.

MC
Old 11-08-2010, 06:53 AM   #56
mtsproductions

Just an example:
with XP i could only extract 6 files at once before my system would start to slow down (really slow down) to a point where just opening my documents would take 15 sec.
With win7 I can extract 15+ .rar or zip files without even a hint of the system bogging down.
I used to think that XP was the best OS and was afraid of moving due to driver and application compatabilty but now i so glad that i did, honestly the only driver i had to install is the interface driver and thats it.

It doesent matter if you have XP 64 or 32 its the structure of XP, if you have a multi-core processor Win7 is a must, its like letting your processor breathe through a straw while inderwater with XP with 7 its like having an oxygen mask strapped to your face all the time.

Win 7 64 for the win
Old 11-08-2010, 06:56 AM   #57
mtsproductions

Quote:
I stuffed a 10,000 RPM Velociraptor in this for the boot drive ... very nice ... I recommend doing that.
Sorry you wasted your money, SSD would have been a better choice, but of course this is my opinion.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:44 AM   #58
norbury brook

Quote:
Sorry you wasted your money, SSD would have been a better choice, but of course this is my opinion.
I would agree, I've got my OS on one of these:

http://www.ocztechnology.com/product...ress-ssd-.html

It is,as we say in the UK, the dogs Bollocks

MC
Old 11-08-2010, 07:57 AM   #59
mtsproductions

Quote:

MC
Wow what a beast internal RAID 0 by default thats really cool. As soon as SSD drives come down in prices i will be switching, i can only imagine how fast my sample libraries would load in Kontact and i can just bypass loading some samples into memory and read directly from drive makes me drooool.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:04 AM   #60
norbury brook

yes its amazing, in fact it's a shame to only have the OS on there as it doesn't make full use of it.It's great that it's a PCIe slot though as it's connected directly to the north bridge,and doesn't need cables and a drive bay

MC
Old 11-08-2010, 08:05 AM   #61
mtsproductions

Hey Marcus how do you like your MR816x? I have been looking into that unit and basically my future upgrade will be either the MR816x or one of the RME units if i can find them cheap enough, 1-MultifaceII 2-Babyface or the Fireface 400. My biggest concearn is latency (due to mostly midi work) and coverters , Jim Rosenbury rates the RME stuff better than the MR816x as far as latency and the quality of converters, i just wanted your take on it.

Last edited by mtsproductions; 11-08-2010 at 08:10 AM.
mtsproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:20 AM   #62
norbury brook

well, the AD/DA on the 816 is great,really good, as are the pre's they'e very transparent and clean.Latency, well as it's firewire it's not as good as my PCI RME card,however the MR editor is kind of like totalmix so you can do zero latency monitoring with REV-X too for tracking.

If I were to buy now, I'd seriously look at the new RME fireface UFX, looks great, it has only 4 pre's though whereas the 816's have 8 which makes a mobile rig easier. I have an 8u SKB rack with

1x q6600 PC in a smallish coolermaster case on it's side
2x MR 816's
1x ADA8000

this gives me 24 in/out in a manageable rack.

if you're doing mostly midi then I'd always go for a PCI(e) card. If you have a PCI slot on your MOBO,and most still have at least one,the pick yourself up a RME HDSP 9652 second hand,great card,great drivers works with all current OS's including win 7 x64,and has midi in out too

MC
Old 11-08-2010, 08:42 AM   #63
mtsproductions

Quote:
well, the AD/DA on the 816 is great,really good, as are the pre's they'e very transparent and clean.Latency, well as it's firewire it's not as good as my PCI RME card,however the MR editor is kind of like totalmix so you can do zero latency monitoring with REV-X too for tracking.

If I were to buy now, I'd seriously look at the new RME fireface UFX, looks great, it has only 4 pre's though whereas the 816's have 8 which makes a mobile rig easier. I have an 8u SKB rack with

1x q6600 PC in a smallish coolermaster case on it's side
2x MR 816's
1x ADA8000

this gives me 24 in/out in a manageable rack.

if you're doing mostly midi then I'd always go for a PCI(e) card. If you have a PCI slot on your MOBO,and most still have at least one,the pick yourself up a RME HDSP 9652 second hand,great card,great drivers works with all current OS's including win 7 x64,and has midi in out too

MC
Actually the 9632 was my first option the 9652 is a bit more money, i couldnt quiet get my head around how i would set them up though. There are no mic pre's and i dont use an ADAT, all i would need is at least 2 analog inputs (mic pre's are not essential but would be nice) and just main out.
Bare with me I think you might have clarified some things here for me:
the 9632 would do the job for me all i would need is a monitor volume controller and mic pre's because i do track instruments, I was looking into the other units because they basically have all those features and i wouldn't need to buy anything else. Correct me if I am wrong
Old 11-08-2010, 09:07 AM   #64
norbury brook

yes, I do have an analogue hardware monitor controller though even when using the 816's, probably don't really need it though.

OK I think this boils it down

best latency= PCI(e)
best drivers= RME
most features/pre;s/price= MR816 no midi though

best all round performer for you would be the fireface 400UC as it has USB and FW and pre's and midi.

MC
Old 11-08-2010, 09:18 AM   #65
mtsproductions

Quote:
yes, I do have an analogue hardware monitor controller though even when using the 816's, probably don't really need it though.

OK I think this boils it down

best latency= PCI(e)
best drivers= RME
most features/pre;s/price= MR816 no midi though

best all round performer for you would be the fireface 400UC as it has USB and FW and pre's and midi.

MC
Thanks for the help Marcus I really appreciate it!!
Old 11-08-2010, 12:30 PM   #66
findjammer

Quote:
Write speeds on SSD isn't there yet, pagefile ...
Old 11-08-2010, 12:40 PM   #67
SEA

Anyone using Win 7 X64 Service Pack 1 beta? If so, does it mess things up or help?

SEA

Old 11-08-2010, 12:48 PM   #68
SEA

Quote:

MC
So do you need an internal OS drive with this thing or does THIS become you OS drive?

Like... put this in... then load Win 7 X64 on it from you dvd... then your computer boots off of it?

SEA

Old 11-08-2010, 01:22 PM   #69
Jason Brian Merrill

Quote:
I was just going by what Jim Roseberry said:

SEA
"bloated" is a somewhat subjective term, as we have seen here with software.

It is "bigger" to be sure, and "uses" more RAM at times, and I wouldn't run it on older hardware, but the GUI, response, graphics overall, and the stability is far better than XP for me. So, bloated, well depends on your definition really.

Does it take up more space on your hdd?

yes.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:28 PM   #70
SEA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
"bloated" is a somewhat subjective term, as we have seen here with software.

It is "bigger" to be sure, and "uses" more RAM at times, and I wouldn't run it on older hardware, but the GUI, response, graphics overall, and the stability is far better than XP for me. So, bloated, well depends on your definition really.

Does it take up more space on your hdd?

yes.
Got it up and running now. Seems to be pretty smooth.
Loading 55 updates. You and mtsproductions were right... it was a bad disc.

Still waiting on your stuff.

SEA

Old 11-08-2010, 01:45 PM   #71
chrisharbin

Quote:
Anyone using Win 7 X64 Service Pack 1 beta? If so, does it mess things up or help?

SEA
Oh no, a service pack? For what?
chrisharbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:47 PM   #72
mtsproductions

Quote:
Write speeds on SSD isn't there yet, pagefile ...
Whats your write speed on 10k?
Old 11-08-2010, 01:54 PM   #73
norbury brook

Quote:
So do you need an internal OS drive with this thing or does THIS become you OS drive?

Like... put this in... then load Win 7 X64 on it from you dvd... then your computer boots off of it?

SEA
yes, I just cloned my original OS drive and copied it to this. Computer boots from this as I've set it as my OS drive

MC
Old 11-08-2010, 01:54 PM   #74
SEA

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisharbin View Post
Oh no, a service pack? For what?
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windo...s-148392.shtml

Old 11-08-2010, 06:12 PM   #75
bonfilio

"A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB Flash Drive, please insert now"

This sounds completely backwards, but generally this error happens if you have a USB drive (flash, phone, HDD, whatever) plugged in during the initial partitioning part of installing. Windows won't install to removable media and most bioses will report USB storage media as HDD media on boot and Windows generally gets very confused. Unplug everything USB except mouse and keyboard.

Go with W7. XP64 was awesome, but it's heyday is long past.
bonfilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:43 PM   #76
mr. moon

Quote:

2: The GUI on windows 7 runs from your graphics card not your cpu like in XP so there's now less chance of any interference from the GUI.

SEA
I believe that's only true if you have the Aero interface enabled, which I always disable anyways for various reasons.

www.soundclick.com/mrmoon
mr. moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:17 AM   #77
anyuta
Banned

Really, I thought this would work, in a forum filled with the smartest people in the audio universe, I thought you would all be dumb enough to click my spam

Last edited by pipelineaudio; 11-09-2010 at 01:56 AM.
anyuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:48 AM   #78
ivansc

Quote:
yes, I just cloned my original OS drive and copied it to this. Computer boots from this as I've set it as my OS drive

MC
You swine! I hate you! Just when I thought it was safe to put my GAS catalogue away...
I haven`t dared check out any prices yet... the wife will kill me.. my children will starve etc.
Looks rather nice, by the way..

(grin)
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:13 AM   #79
SEA

Hey guys!

I just installed Win 7 X64 and I have the Abit IP35 Pro XE MB.

I've been trying to find the latest chipset for it. So far not sure what's up with it.

Also, after I updated my driver for my NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS video card, when I let the computer stand for a bit (like maybe a few minutes or less) it seems to go into sleep mode. Didn't seem to do that before.

I also notice when I first boot up... when I sign in and get my desk top... the screen will go black for like 3 or 4 secs, then back to the desktop, then back to black for a few seconds. Does that blink thing for a bit. But normally it's cool. Only when I get started. Perhaps that's my monitor? I have a 20 inch ViewSonic. Seems to do it sometimes when you start a new action like if it checks something or installs something. Screen goes black at times then too.

Any tips about the chipset, drivers, etc?

I posted a new thread on it but thought I'd ask those in the know over here.

Here's a link to the new thread if you want to chime in!
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...398#post614398

Thanks for your help!

Old 11-09-2010, 08:25 AM   #80
mtsproductions

Quote:
Hey guys!

I just installed Win 7 X64 and I have the Abit IP35 Pro XE MB.

I've been trying to find the latest chipset for it. So far not sure what's up with it.

Also, after I updated my driver for my NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS video card, when I let the computer stand for a bit (like maybe a few minutes or less) it seems to go into sleep mode. Didn't seem to do that before.

I also notice when I first boot up... when I sign in and get my desk top... the screen will go black for like 3 or 4 secs, then back to the desktop, then back to black for a few seconds. Does that blink thing for a bit. But normally it's cool. Only when I get started. Perhaps that's my monitor? I have a 20 inch ViewSonic. Seems to do it sometimes when you start a new action like if it checks something or installs something. Screen goes black at times then too.

Any tips about the chipset, drivers, etc?

I posted a new thread on it but thought I'd ask those in the know over here.

Here's a link to the new thread if you want to chime in!
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...398#post614398

Thanks for your help!
check the Abit website the only place you are going to find chipset updates (that i would trust) What chipset are you talking about anyway?