Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 12-27-2011, 03:30 AM   #41
PerunZG
Human being with feelings

I don't think that Radeon HD 5450 is that much better than integrated Intel graphics, so why bother? If you don't plan to play games on your rig, why not take cheap Quadro 400 for pristine picture quality and enormous resolutions?

Also, don't try to save on CPU coolers and PSUs. They are more important than people think. If they fail, everything dies.

Also, why buy RAM that's double the price of any 9-9-9-24? I don't think those 1-2 less cycles are worth the price difference (especially if you're not planning to do any OCing). I would invest extra $50 in Corsair PSU instead (TX or AX series).

But that's just me.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:56 AM   #42
EvilDragon

Yes, DEFINITELY a Corsair PSU!

And there are better coolers out there. I recommend www.frostytech.com for checking out coolers in more detail!
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:58 AM   #43
ivansc

Get more ram than that. IT IS CHEAP.

I bought 8gb and really should have bought 12 or 16.

But I just can't bring myself to throw away perfectly good DDR3 x2gb ram sticks....
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:38 AM   #44
EvilDragon

Why would you throw them away? You can always try selling them...
Old 12-27-2011, 04:59 AM   #45
mikeroephonics

Thanks loads for your help, everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerunZG View Post
I don't think that Radeon HD 5450 is that much better than integrated Intel graphics, so why bother?
Because the mainboard doesn't have video out.

Quote:
If you don't plan to play games on your rig, why not take cheap Quadro 400 for pristine picture quality and enormous resolutions?
I am not paying anything over $50USD for a DAW video card. Especially not if it has a fan (noise.) My video needs are very basic. I don't use the DAW for gaming at all.

Quote:
Also, don't try to save on CPU coolers and PSUs. They are more important than people think. If they fail, everything dies.
I also have this Corsair CPU cooler in mind. It was actually on my list before I saw the $29 unit:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835118051 (65.99 -- 4/5 Eggs/118 reviews))
vs
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103065 ($29.04 -- 5/5 Eggs/2,322 reviews)
Hmmmm... 1,819 people gave it 5 eggs. Could it really be a problem with that much praise? I doubt I'll need to OC the i7 2600K, but I've been wrong before...lol

Quote:
Also, why buy RAM that's double the price of any 9-9-9-24? I don't think those 1-2 less cycles are worth the price difference (especially if you're not planning to do any OCing).
Are you sure those 1-2 less cycles won't matter for general DAW tasks, and more specifically ensuring high polyphony with 0 drop-outs? I would be THRILLED to go with 4x8GB (32GB total) RAM. I could find a use for it, believe me! haha

Quote:
I would invest extra $50 in Corsair PSU instead (TX or AX series).

But that's just me.
I'm looking at Corsair PSUs now. Which do you recommend? I want 700W for sure. This looks promising:
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.2 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139006

I really just want:
1.) Huge polyphony
2.) 0 buffer under-runs
3.) Whisper-quiet operation

Thanks again,
Mike
Old 12-27-2011, 06:22 AM   #46
PerunZG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeroephonics View Post
Because the mainboard doesn't have video out.
Fair enough.

Quote:
I am not paying anything over $50USD for a DAW video card. Especially not if it has a fan (noise.) My video needs are very basic. I don't use the DAW for gaming at all.
That's why I suggested Quadro. There are cheap Nvidia and ATI (even fanless) professional cards that give pristine picture quality, multi-monitor support and high resolutions. They are not meant for gaming.

Quote:
Hmmmm... 1,819 people gave it 5 eggs. Could it really be a problem with that much praise?
I wouldn't look at the stars alone. Your CPU, your decision!

Quote:
Are you sure those 1-2 less cycles won't matter for general DAW tasks, and more specifically ensuring high polyphony with 0 drop-outs? I would be THRILLED to go with 4x8GB (32GB total) RAM. I could find a use for it, believe me! haha
As Ivan already suggested - 100% more RAM > 1-2 more cycles! Especially for polyphonic MIDI.

Quote:
I'm looking at Corsair PSUs now. Which do you recommend? I want 700W for sure.
You can't go wrong with any of Corsair's PSUs. TX and AX are top-quality best-in-class units, but are somewhat expensive. But since I saw two PSUs blowing up in my old rigs, I tend not to take any more chances.

Btw, if you want to keep the noise down, few ultra-low-speed huge case fans are better than one high-speed fan.

edit:

p.s.

What about liquid cooling?

Last edited by PerunZG; 12-27-2011 at 06:55 AM.
PerunZG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:03 AM   #47
EvilDragon

One good reason to go with a better graphics card (especially if it supports CUDA and OpenCL) is exactly that - CUDA. Some plugins (like Nebula) love to use it as additional processing power. It's good to have.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:41 AM   #48
mikeroephonics

Quote:
As Ivan already suggested - 100% more RAM > 1-2 more cycles! Especially for polyphonic MIDI.
Juuust to be clear, do you mean 1-2 or even more cycles deviation from CAS 7 would be OK?

I found some CAS 10 kits here. (6 Results):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...PC3%2012800%29
Sorted by:
1.) Desktop Memory
2.) Type : 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM
3.) Capacity : 32GB (4 x 8GB)
4.) Speed : DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) <-- I should shoot for 1600, right? Versus 1333, which is slower.

That's CAS 7+3=CAS 10, obviously, but where's the point of diminished returns? (crackles & lower polyphony) CAS 12? Larger?
I can't find any information on the specifics of this, but I'm sure it's important to get right. Nor can I find 8GB DDR3 1600 DIMMs with a CAS lower than 10. Is that even a thing yet?

Update: I just got off the phone with G.Skill tech support (very helpful btw)
He said a deviation from CAS 7 to CAS 10 shouldn't be noticeable except in benchmark tests. (God, I hope he's right about that...lol)
He also said this exact kit will work with the Asus P8P67 Pro (rev 3.1)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...00CL10Q-32GBXL
http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=423

Quote:
p.s.

What about liquid cooling?
Already been down that path. Not a huge fan of putting tubes of water in the tower anymore..haha

Thanks again. I'm sure someone will end up Googling this thread looking up these finer details of DAW builds in the future!

Mike

Last edited by mikeroephonics; 12-27-2011 at 07:47 PM.
mikeroephonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:02 AM   #49
ivansc

Yeah, ED. I am already sulking because my onboard GFX wont play nice with Nebula.... Seriously wondering if it would be worth buying a separate GFX card, although the built in gfx are more than adequate...
I just like the idea of utilising all this almost cutting edge technology stuff.

Anyone already utilising the gfx card CUDA facilities for DAW processing power?
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:54 AM   #50
franV

I'm digressing a bit but since where on pc upgrading lets talk about silent treatment.

There is so many products from so many brands that operate quite for home recording, but below is a sample of what can be done to minimize noise.

The most powerfull silent Graphics card on the market is the Radeon HD6670 based ones.
You get 1gb DDR5 Ram with 768 stream processors.

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presenta...n=&lid=1&leg=0

Drop the bundled cpu cooler and go for an aftermarket one. They're usually much more quit.
Look for one with idle noise below 10 dBa like this one.
http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6741

Get case fans with temperature sensor or manual speed setting capability. This way you can set it to quite low revs and then back up again if you like to.
http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=MjY4Ng==

One example of a quite case
http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6702

A real quite PSU
http://www.coolermaster.com/product....roduct_id=4196
franV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:28 PM   #51
vassago

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Yes, DEFINITELY a Corsair PSU!

And there are better coolers out there. I recommend www.frostytech.com for checking out coolers in more detail!
Seasonic, Cheaper and at least just as good. Sorry E but you are about 5 years in the past. Corsair has lost its place as the top PSUs.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:53 PM   #52
EvilDragon

Lost? 5 years in the past? I don't think so. I say they still have excellent performance and durability, whatever you say. Seasonic was always good, no doubt about it. But my personal preference is Corsair. YMMV.

@mikeroephonics - I seriously doubt that CAS latency would be the main reason of dropouts and somesuch. I say don't shell out for CAS 7, CAS 9 should be just as good. Hard drive is more important.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:15 PM   #53
mikeroephonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
@mikeroephonics - I seriously doubt that CAS latency would be the main reason of dropouts and somesuch. I say don't shell out for CAS 7, CAS 9 should be just as good. Hard drive is more important.
How about CAS 10? Like this 32GB kit:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...00CL10Q-32GBXL
http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=423

ED, do you think SSD is the way to go for Kontakt/samplers streaming? I'm still using 3 WD 500GB 3Gb/sec SATAs. I'll see how they fare with the new system, then consider an SSD at some point (probably 256GB.)
EDIT: You already answered this.

"Definitely get an SSD if you're using some very demanding orchestral libraries. And as time goes, replace your HDDs with SSDs." - ED

Do you know what kind of numbers we're dealing with here? I saw some SSDs which can transfer 400MB+/sec! They sure sound like winners. I'm just looking for some real-world reports. For some reason these are hard to come by (probably the prohibitive price point of SSDs at this time.)

Thanks

Last edited by mikeroephonics; 12-28-2011 at 04:39 AM.
mikeroephonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:36 AM   #54
EvilDragon

Yes, I know the numbers. Yes, they're ridiculous, they allow for an extremely high voice count, provided your CPU can handle it!

I would go CAS 9 at least, though.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:31 AM   #55
mikeroephonics

The time has come. New DAW ordered.

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I'll report back with how well this works with REAPER.

Mainboard: ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1)
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz
CPU Cooling: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1600
GFX: ASUS EAH5450 SILENT/DI/512MD3(LP) Radeon HD 5450 512MB
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W
Old 12-28-2011, 07:39 AM   #56
Jcschild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
So maybe Gigabyte is an Intel thing.
nope GB is all i will use for AMD ( i wont touch asus for nothing and definately not asrock (the budget asus)
far to many DOA boards and other issues
Quote:
But I can nearly build 2 AMD systems for the same price as one equivalent Intel box...
not even close man not even close...
for every AMD processor there is an equally priced intel that out performs it. this whole AMD is best bang for buck died 5 yrs ago.. the newest AMDs are actually slower than the last gen. dont know how AMD pulled that off.
the only potenial for savings is possibly a cheap POS motherboard.
Quote:

And when it comes down to price vs performance, I have to go with bang for the buck in my parlous financial state.
assuming same price for board,ram etc it really comes down to CPU price.

Phenom 2 1090T 6 core 3.2GHz $179
Intel 2400 3.1GHz Quad $189 much faster for a whopping $10

AMD 8150 6 core (actually slower than the 1090T for audio) $269
i7 2600 quad $299 for a deal busting $30 you would get over 2 times the performance ability.

so please lets put this AMD is cheaper nonsense to bed.

now if you want to compare something as cheap as the
amd Phenom II 555 $87
Intel G850 $87

no point to building an AMD system at all.

Scott
ADK
Jcschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:45 AM   #57
EvilDragon

Quote:

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I'll report back with how well this works with REAPER.

So you went CAS10 in the end? Hm... let me know how it goes.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:58 AM   #58
Evan

I would prefer an ASUS motherboards, instead of GIGABYTE for one good reason: ASUS have real EFI implementations in the motherboards. (That's the BIOS replacement system that will be utilized by Windows 8 and beyond).

Last time I checked (probably a month or two ago), Gigabyte motherboards did NOT have a true EFI implementation.

I would not pick a motherboard without true EFI at this point in time, if future-proofness is what you want.
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:49 AM   #59
maxdembo

Just out of interest, why did u choose the P67 board as opposed to a Z68? Jealous of your i7, I could only afford the i5 (on an Asus P8Z68)

Enjoy the new pc!

Quote:

Old 12-28-2011, 12:29 PM   #60
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
I would prefer an ASUS motherboards, instead of GIGABYTE for one good reason: ASUS have real EFI implementations in the motherboards. (That's the BIOS replacement system that will be utilized by Windows 8 and beyond).

Last time I checked (probably a month or two ago), Gigabyte motherboards did NOT have a true EFI implementation.

I would not pick a motherboard without true EFI at this point in time, if future-proofness is what you want.
Nothing is ever future-proof in computer world. IMHO W8 is gonna suffer the Vista-syndrome. Perhaps Windows 9 will be better. Microsoft does not deal well with even numbers.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:12 PM   #61
Evan

The Vista syndrome implies that the OS is heavier, slower and buggier than the previous one. It doesn't seem to be the case with Windows 8 (with what we know thus far). If anything, it's designed to be even leaner.

I doubt we'll see a mass migration to Windows 8 on the desktop, simply because win 7 is so good, no good reason to do so! However, I believe it's going to catch on and replace windows 7 eventually.

Vista suffered from a mass abandonment in favor of XP (people were 'downgrading') because of major problems. Vista was also a large departure from XP. With Windows 8, it will probably be a very similar experience to windows 7 (i.e. works right and gets out of the way). People buying PCs and laptops with windows 8 pre-installed won't have any serious reasons to downgrade to 7. It will therefore catch on.

Sorry for the off-topic but I think the OP has already had his questions answered?
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:43 AM   #62
mikeroephonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdembo View Post
Just out of interest, why did u choose the P67 board as opposed to a Z68? Jealous of your i7, I could only afford the i5 (on an Asus P8Z68)

Enjoy the new pc!
Looking on the net, it seems the Z68 boards are more for
i. SSD buffering (not sure if I'd need that or not considering the nature of sample streaming technology where RAM buffers .wav data already.) Is SSD buffering something I should think about in the future? I could always buy a Z68 board at some point if it's REALLY a good thing to use with a DAW.

ii. People who need the on-CPU graphics. I don't play games on the DAW (got a working N64 for that.)

That's pretty much it. I have seen so much praise for the Asus P8P67 Pro rev 3.1/i7 2600K combo, I felt confident with the choice. I feel this is an epic combo. I'll know Friday evening.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:57 AM   #63
maxdembo

Quote:
Looking on the net, it seems the Z68 boards are more for
i. SSD buffering (not sure if I'd need that or not considering the nature of sample streaming technology where RAM buffers .wav data already.) Is SSD buffering something I should think about in the future? I could always buy a Z68 board at some point if it's REALLY a good thing to use with a DAW.
Yeah, this has been confusing me tbh, not sure if I should add an SSD to my next upgrade list. But I got the board anyway, just in case

Quote:
ii. People who need the on-CPU graphics. I don't play games on the DAW (got a working N64 for that.)
Yep, thats me! I only had an old, noisy, gfx card and wanted rid of it but wasnt sure the onboard would cut it. Turns out that not only does the i5 overclock like a maniac but so does the onboard gfx (to a whopping 2ghz), which has meant I can finally ditch the gfx card.

Quote:
That's pretty much it. I have seen so much praise for the Asus P8P67 Pro rev 3.1/i7 2600K combo, I felt confident with the choice. I feel this is an epic combo. I'll know Friday evening.
Agreed. It took me weeks to figure out which mobo to get and the P8P67 was always on the shortlist. Sounds like you made a great purchase, dont be surprised if you piss yourself with glee on Friday