Old 01-03-2012, 08:57 AM   #1
spaceman
Human being with feelings

Default Noise in OSX vs. W7

This is not really a Reaper specific question but I hope to find some hlep anyway.

I use a Saffire 6USB and Yamaha HS50M monitors with balanced cables.

Under Windows 7 (HP EliteBook) I get a huge amount of noise through my monitors, from hard drive, scrolling on screen, etc. constant changing noise even when doing nothing, not even running audio apps, but on my MBP with the same setup I get practically no noise at all.

Is it because of the internal wiring of this EliteBook? Or is it ASIO4ALL?

I have no idea what's going on there.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:20 AM   #2
spaceman

Thanks for that info.

Just realised that the noise is not present in the headphone output, so it's just speakers. So I'm guessing it might be the laptop itself. As you said, maybe a certain chipset or simply 'mechanical' interference.

Bloody annoying anyway.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:51 AM   #3
Thuneau

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
This is not really a Reaper specific question but I hope to find some hlep anyway.

I use a Saffire 6USB and Yamaha HS50M monitors with balanced cables.

Under Windows 7 (HP EliteBook) I get a huge amount of noise through my monitors, from hard drive, scrolling on screen, etc. constant changing noise even when doing nothing, not even running audio apps, but on my MBP with the same setup I get practically no noise at all.

Is it because of the internal wiring of this EliteBook? Or is it ASIO4ALL?

I have no idea what's going on there.
This is usually from a poorly built power supply and voltage regulators on your motherboard. You have noise from various chips spilling on the ground plane and making its way to the audio circuits of your interface. If you are powering your interface with 5V from USB the problem could be worse. If you use a separate power adapter, make sure it's on the same AC circuit as your computer- so that ground loops are minimized.
Here are a couple good links:

http://wiki.robotz.com/index.php/Lap...und_Loop_Noise
http://www.circuitsathome.com/measurements/usb-isolator
Thuneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:24 AM   #4
bingethink

I have an HP EliteBook as well and have exactly the same problem. Line noise whenever any kind of audio software is fired up...it's not just Reaper but also Audacity, Music Maker and even Lync when making voice and video calls. I can only conclude, as you've already done, that the HP is just an electronically noisy so and so. I given up using it for recording and reverted to an old mini ATX machine which has a loud fan but gives a clean line.
bingethink is offline   Reply With Quote