Old 01-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #1
samfrancis83
Human being with feelings

Default Tascam US-800, setting up input channels

This should be a simple question, but I'm a novice with Reaper and the Tascam US-800. Under preferences there's an option to use direct sound with the tascam, however I'm not sure where to assign tracks. Also should I include the MIDI tracks as 2, so 8 total rather than 6?

And if you are familiar with this tascam model, I was wondering how you actually update drivers? I've downloaded them from tascams' site, however have no clue what to do now? I know I'm green with a lot of this, so any help would be great.
samfrancis83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:58 AM   #2
Diogenes

Quote:
Originally Posted by samfrancis83 View Post
This should be a simple question, but I'm a novice with Reaper and the Tascam US-800. Under preferences there's an option to use direct sound with the tascam, however I'm not sure where to assign tracks. Also should I include the MIDI tracks as 2, so 8 total rather than 6?
Don't use Directsound. Use the ASIO driver. Set the input and output ranges in Reaper. Preferences > Audio > Device > Audio system: ASIO. ASIO driver: Tascam US-800 (I think?) Then enable the inputs and use the drop-down list to pick the first and last.

The first SIX inputs are the mic/line connectors. Two on front and four on back. The other two are the S/PDIF digital stereo pair for a total of EIGHT possible audio inputs.

MIDI: There is one MIDI IN and one MIDI out. You'll set those up under Preferences > Audio > MIDI Devices.

Quote:
And if you are familiar with this tascam model, I was wondering how you actually update drivers? I've downloaded them from tascams' site, however have no clue what to do now? I know I'm green with a lot of this, so any help would be great.
I think you just go download the latest driver from Tascam's website, unzip the file after download and run the installer. If you are running Windows, just double-clicking the zip file should uzip it someplace and let you run the installer.

I don't have my US-800 in front of me so I am rattling off a lot from memory here... You should be able to get it going though.

D

PS I think the Directsound driver will only give you a stereo pair of Ins and Outs. Besides that, the ASIO driver is much better for low-latency recording.
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:11 AM   #3
Third Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
Don't use Directsound. Use the ASIO driver. Set the input and output ranges in Reaper. Preferences > Audio > Device > Audio system: ASIO. ASIO driver: Tascam US-800 (I think?) Then enable the inputs and use the drop-down list to pick the first and last.

The first SIX inputs are the mic/line connectors. Two on front and four on back. The other two are the S/PDIF digital stereo pair for a total of EIGHT possible audio inputs.

MIDI: There is one MIDI IN and one MIDI out. You'll set those up under Preferences > Audio > MIDI Devices.

I think you just go download the latest driver from Tascam's website, unzip the file after download and run the installer. If you are running Windows, just double-clicking the zip file should uzip it someplace and let you run the installer.

I don't have my US-800 in front of me so I am rattling off a lot from memory here... You should be able to get it going though.

D

PS I think the Directsound driver will only give you a stereo pair of Ins and Outs. Besides that, the ASIO driver is much better for low-latency recording.
As a bit of a hijack...have you been able to use the mixing panel for the US800? Also with the input level on channel 1 all the way down, I still get signal when it is dry or using a guitar plug...why is that? Am I missing something obvious?
Old 01-30-2012, 11:32 AM   #4
Jeffw

Quote:
Originally Posted by samfrancis83 View Post

Just a heads up: I have had the Tascam US-800 for 1 month now and it works great! However I highly recommend NOT USING any other USB devices along with it even a USB keyboard or USB mouse.

This US-800 does not share USB very well. I use Reaper with the US-800 and these 2 really work well together IF I do not use any other USB devices even sticking a FLASH drive in will cause lock ups on the audio then you have to reset the Tascam by unplugging the power and waiting for things to clear...OR reboot windows.

I am trying to install Reaper on Linux and run the US-800 with that but so far no luck, might be a better way to go IMHO.
Jeffw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:42 AM   #5
Third Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffw View Post
Just a heads up: I have had the Tascam US-800 for 1 month now and it works great! However I highly recommend NOT USING any other USB devices along with it even a USB keyboard or USB mouse.

This US-800 does not share USB very well. I use Reaper with the US-800 and these 2 really work well together IF I do not use any other USB devices even sticking a FLASH drive in will cause lock ups on the audio then you have to reset the Tascam by unplugging the power and waiting for things to clear...OR reboot windows.

I am trying to install Reaper on Linux and run the US-800 with that but so far no luck, might be a better way to go IMHO.
Just returned mine to Musicians friend.....