Old 12-21-2016, 06:16 AM   #441
rowan abrey
Human being with feelings

Default video playback unstable

Hey guys,

I'm having a lot of trouble with trying to get video playback to work properly in reaper, as it seems to stop and stutter quite frequently which, as you can imagine is a nightmare when trying to sync it with audio.

Reaper is unable to find the VLC decoder no matter where it's file is placed, don't know if this is anything to do with it.

If I'm honest at this stage I have no idea what the problem can be and wondered if any of you could help.

Thanks, Rowan.
rowan abrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 06:58 AM   #442
airon

Simply install VLC in the default manner. That way Reaper will find it. You don't have to place anything.

32-bit VLC for 32-bit version of Reaper, 64->64.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:27 AM   #443
_parasite_

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowan abrey View Post
Hey guys,

I'm having a lot of trouble with trying to get video playback to work properly in reaper, as it seems to stop and stutter quite frequently which, as you can imagine is a nightmare when trying to sync it with audio.

Reaper is unable to find the VLC decoder no matter where it's file is placed, don't know if this is anything to do with it.

If I'm honest at this stage I have no idea what the problem can be and wondered if any of you could help.

Thanks, Rowan.
Make sure you have the right version of vlc installed. You have to use a older version. VLC 2.0.x-2.2.x

Last edited by _parasite_; 12-21-2016 at 07:32 AM. Reason: added version...
_parasite_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:36 AM   #444
urednik

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowan abrey View Post
Hey guys,

Thanks, Rowan.
Rowan, when having multiple video tracks it is normal, since Reaper does not resize them and plays them in original resolution. For timing try to disable all fx and perhaps mute unneeded ones in order to get cuts correctly, later on enable for rendering.
W10 (64) Lenovo E540 - SSD; Lenovo B590; W7 (32), Compaq 610 (2.1Ghz core 2 duo, L2 cache, 2GB RAM); DPA 4018, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MTSC 64, Neumann mk184, AEA Ribbon 88mk, AKG SolidTUBE; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, recording merely live acoustic music.
urednik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:34 AM   #445
rowan abrey

Thanks everyone! Now that VLC is working it's running perfectly.
rowan abrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 06:50 PM   #446
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
If my video is always upside down plus mirrored, what can be the reason for this?

reaper 32bit in wine, using vlc 2.2.x
what are you filming with?

edit - Preferences>Media>Video
[ ] Auto rotate videos and images with orientation tags on import

override in source properties
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXRccvkSkuc
Old 01-04-2017, 08:19 PM   #447
insub

@Airon

FYI:
Links in the OP to the ffmpeg.zeranoe.com build packs point to version 1.2.11 rather than 3.0.1

Thanks for this thread, BTW!
insub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:39 PM   #448
insub

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
First, render your video with the following settings in Reaper :
MKV container, HUFFYUV video codec, 24 bit PCM audio
This will produce a rather large file. Check your video dimensions and frame rate before starting the render, so they match the source video in your timeline. The small arrow box on the right lets you pick various resolutions, frame rates or the resolution and frame rate of the source video.

Now use that resulting file as a source video in Handbrake, pick your preset and where Handbrake should save your video, and off you go.
[/indent]
I need a different recommendation than this for the output file. The resultant file is way too big. My SD (720x480) 2:16 hr video file came out as 63 GB! The source files were only 5.29 GB.

Can you all recommend render settings to get a near lossless output closer to the size of the original source files?
Old 01-09-2017, 04:35 AM   #449
airon

I do not know.

The next codec to test could be MJpeg at quality 95. I'd need to test.

Quicktime ProRes is available via FFMPEG, but it seems, not in Reaper. Perhaps that would be good for near-lossless output, and so fast that using just a single core on video rendering does not matter.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:52 AM   #450
insub

Thanks, Airon. I may give that a try.

I did try using MKV, H.264 @ 95% and PCM 24 bit and the resultant files were 6.08 GB compared to the original files which were 5.27 GB.

I haven't had a chance to compare the quality though.

I'm not working professionally, so I just need a trade-off that's good enough and file sizes that I can work with. On a 3 min video, I imagine that lossless file size would be no problem, but for over 2 hr's worth of video, I just don't have the computing power and patience to deal with 60+ GB files.

This is like mixing audio with MP3s. The source files have already been compressed, and there's no way around it. The camcorder had already compressed the file to MPEG-1/2 (mpgv) 720x480. So, I'm just trying to retain a comparable quality output. I think if I want to prevent the DVD Authoring (DVDStyler) software from re-encoding the video and compressing it again then I have to use MPEG 1 or 2. I don't know which because the documentation for DVDStyler is not very good. Also, DVDStyler will compress it more if I cannot get the file size down to the destination media which will be DVD5 (needs to be not more than 4.6 GB). I believe that if the files are the correct codec and size that DVDStyler will throughput the video.

I tried DVD Flick, but DVD Flick does not allow custom chapters (skip forward points) like DVDStyler does. DVD Flick can add chapters every so often, but in DVDStyler you can define exactly when each individual chapter should be rather than every 10 min or whatever.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:38 AM   #451
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by insub View Post
Thanks, Airon. I may give that a try.

I did try using MKV, H.264 @ 95% and PCM 24 bit and the resultant files were 6.08 GB compared to the original files which were 5.27 GB.

I haven't had a chance to compare the quality though.

I'm not working professionally, so I just need a trade-off that's good enough and file sizes that I can work with. On a 3 min video, I imagine that lossless file size would be no problem, but for over 2 hr's worth of video, I just don't have the computing power and patience to deal with 60+ GB files.
Ah. I see the problem now. You are looking for a file format that ready-to-use files. The MKV/Huffyuv is meant as an inbetweener format. The only reason for this is speed. Reaper is very, very slow for video encoding compared to solutions like Handbrake. Reaper uses one core. Handbrake uses all.

There are also solutions that encode MPEG2 files for you. You may want to take a look at this forum for all the help you're likely to need: https://forum.doom9.org/. On that forum you'll find plenty of free tools and encoders for producing your video.

Videohelp.com is great too. Here's a good post about a free MPEG2 encoder: http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/3...-MPEG2-encoder

Reaper is slow, and since space is cheap and you can make smaller files for archiving from that large master file as well, it's a decent solution. For archival, I'd recommend H264 at 50 MBit for 1080p/60fps material. 25 MBit might be ok for 30fps, but go higher if possible. And keep the soundtracks in a separate file if possible if you want to edit with that stuff later on.

FFMPEG with its many frontends might be what you need. Video to Video converter, Avanti, WinFF and so on. Plenty to find. Handbrake is mainly for H264 and H265 encoding as far as I know.

Last edited by airon; 01-09-2017 at 07:55 AM.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:47 AM   #452
insub

Thanks for those resources. I'll look into it.

I suppose, my question now is:
Are the lossless options the very fastest render option for Reaper?

I mean, if it takes 30 min to render the lossless file then another 30 min in another program to convert it to the destination format, or it takes Reaper 1 hr to render the destination format directly, then what's the difference?

I'm going to be using free conversion and DVD authoring software on Windows 10, so no matter which option I choose it looks like the FFMPEG libraries are what's being used regardless which software I select. So, I suspect the quality of the final file should be similar so long as the same codec options are available for selection. For instance, you recommended H.264 @ 50 Mbit which I assume is a recommendation for other encoding/conversion software since Reaper only lets you choose a % value for that codec.

I apologize if this has all been covered already. This thread is really long now.
Thank you so much for your help!
Old 02-16-2017, 09:17 AM   #453
jvamos

Default Black Magic Output

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has had any success with playback of h264 with a hardware decoder like the Black Magic Cards that are offered today? I have a powerful PC but still have issues with smooth playback without transcoding.

J
jvamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:34 AM   #454
vidalsh

Default I think video and reaper not for me

I never can use video and reaper on my old pc, doesn´t runs well.

Now I got a new pc, 6800k and still doesn´t works.

I tried all things of those pages, vlc, ffmpeg, mkv...

nothing works for me, video and audio stops and there is no sync into audio and video...

the video is synced with audio, but if I opens it into reaper runs not synced...I can render and open video in another program to play and is synced...

Into reaper playback has a lot of stops (audio and video)...

This comes video to unusable into reaper...

Runs well for audio, as always, but runs terrific with video, as always...
vidalsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 12:12 PM   #455
urednik

reaper video is not for real time viewing. just for exporting. because it plays original size and it don't downsample video for preview.
W10 (64) Lenovo E540 - SSD; Lenovo B590; W7 (32), Compaq 610 (2.1Ghz core 2 duo, L2 cache, 2GB RAM); DPA 4018, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MTSC 64, Neumann mk184, AEA Ribbon 88mk, AKG SolidTUBE; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, recording merely live acoustic music.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:21 PM   #456
vidalsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by urednik View Post
reaper video is not for real time viewing. just for exporting. because it plays original size and it don't downsample video for preview.
I only needs reaper video to recorded videos from my webcam playing guitar...only to change guitar rig vst effect...audio and video are synced...

if audio and video were no synced this will be crazy...

If reaper doesn´t works for that, then reaper doesn´t works for video...
Old 02-25-2017, 12:23 PM   #457
urednik

It works, but if the video is more than 1080px or there are more at the same time it will not work. You can compare waveform to make it in sync. Reaper is not for preview but for render!
Old 02-25-2017, 12:27 PM   #458
vidalsh

Quote:
It works, but if the video is more than 1080px or there are more at the same time it will not work. You can compare waveform to make it in sync. Reaper is not for preview but for render!
I usually record with my webcam at 1080 x 720 60f...

So I will need to record under 1080?
Old 02-25-2017, 12:39 PM   #459
urednik

No. Why 60 frames? You need to slow down?
Use 25 frames rather.
It of course depends on what computer you have. Because other programs downsample for preview they of course do that action easier, but you usually do not need full preview, just render, wait and view if it is ok.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:02 PM   #460
vidalsh

Quote:
No. Why 60 frames? You need to slow down?
Use 25 frames rather.
It of course depends on what computer you have. Because other programs downsample for preview they of course do that action easier, but you usually do not need full preview, just render, wait and view if it is ok.
Ok, I know. thanks.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:47 PM   #461
heda

I wish REAPER could export directly to x264 with the option to specify the command parameters, or even better with access the x264 configuration dialog, without the need to export to loseless huge file and then finish the encoding in handbrake or similar. Am I dreaming too much?
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:16 PM   #462
Cableaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
.....The only thing I don't like is that the audio and video are kinda attached at the hip. To use audio from one clip while looking at video from another clip you can't just trim it like you can in a typical editor, you have to put the video in a position where it just won't show, to just hear the audio.

Lawrence, I know your post is old, but if I'm understanding you correctly, there is a simple fix:

Using some third-party app, separate / convert the audio from your video. (On a Mac, you can use Quicktime.)

Lay that audio below the Video track in Reaper, on another track.

Then just pull-down the volume of the video-audio track, to zero, but keep both tracks open.

--------------

You now have audio that's independent from the video. You can chop, move, whatever, and still render at the end.
Cableaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:33 PM   #463
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cableaddict View Post
Lawrence, I know your post is old, but if I'm understanding you correctly, there is a simple fix:

Using some third-party app, separate / convert the audio from your video. (On a Mac, you can use Quicktime.)

Lay that audio below the Video track in Reaper, on another track.

Then just pull-down the volume of the video-audio track, to zero, but keep both tracks open.

--------------

You now have audio that's independent from the video. You can chop, move, whatever, and still render at the end.
it's even easier than that. Duplicate the video item and run the glue action to make a wav. Then use source properties on the video to ignore the audio.

If you want to do it in advance you can use Vordio. The demo will let you do this.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:18 AM   #464
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
I wish REAPER could export directly to x264 with the option to specify the command parameters, or even better with access the x264 configuration dialog, without the need to export to loseless huge file and then finish the encoding in handbrake or similar. Am I dreaming too much?
If it could use the commandline FFMPEG encoder, wouldn't it need to be able to frame-serve or something ?

Maybe we can cook up a solution ourselves that way. FFMPEG would give us a LOT of good options.

I could put timecode on the frame of the video, and export a no-audio Prores Proxy Quicktime-container video. I usually do the Prorex Proxy encoding via TEncoder, which uses FFMPEG, but it doesn't have timecode displays. For that I'd have to use Avisynth, and that's hard to setup I find.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:51 PM   #465
Andfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
it's even easier than that. Duplicate the video item and run the glue action to make a wav. Then use source properties on the video to ignore the audio.
http://www.android-rescuer.com/trans...-computer.html
If you want to do it in advance you can use Vordio. The demo will let you do this.
Just to transfer Samsung to computer , is it a hassle?

Last edited by Andfer; 08-27-2017 at 01:58 AM.
Andfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:41 AM   #466
stegra_sund

Default Low Framerate on Video Playback

Hey there, only just started using Reaper and would love some help.

Video playback is very choppy, FRAPS says the video inside Reaper is at 11FPS, when it should be at 30FPS (the video works fine outside Reaper).

Using Reaper 5.4 64bit, Windows 10, SSD, 16GB Ram, M-Audio Fast Track Ultra Pro, project is completely empty except for the video.

I've tried - Different codecs (FFMPEG, VLC and QT), Increasing buffer size, Using MP4, JMPEG, Prores on various qualities, Removing audio portion out of the video file, Disconnecting 2nd monitor that uses integrated graphics card, Unchecked colorspace and high-res peaks options, Unchecked enhanced video renderer, made sure FPS option is correct. All this and its still bottlenecked at 11fps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
stegra_sund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:00 AM   #467
dimitris

Hi,

To start with the simplest, are you sure the project is not set to 11 fps? You can set video frame rate in the Video tab of Project Settings (alt+Enter).
dimitris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:50 PM   #468
airon

What type of video is this ?

Play it in Mediaplayer Classic (one of its versions) or VLC and copy/paste the media information here. That'll give us container, codec for video and audio and so on.

Reaper 32-bit needs the 32-bit version of VLC. 64-bit/64-bit.

A good thing to check is the Source Properties of the video item. That will give you information, and tell you which playback engine is actually being used by Reaper for this video.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:39 AM   #469
JEL

For getting detailed info on videos and audio-files, this software is excellent:

https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo
JEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:47 AM   #470
s9meNiNE

Default How to make video preview as fast as possible?

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm a sound designer and often have to make sounds synchronizing to videos of animation, but after a lot of experimentation with video resolutions, file sizes, and formats I still can't get the video preview to work lagless 100% of the time. Can anyone give me some pointers? Thanks in advance!

For reference, currently I'm using FFmpeg to downscale source footage to 320p 500kpbs with the H.264 codec, and I usually get 1~2 seconds of buffer time on playback or seeking (down from up to 10 secs with source videos).

P.S. If I use the "delay video playback" setting to allow the video to buffer, would I have to delay the audio by the same amount to sync properly? I've tried it with large values to experiment but can't tell if it's the setting working properly or just usual lag.
s9meNiNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:36 AM   #471
airon

Try using this format:

Quicktime container
ProRes Proxy Codec (quality between 12 and 20 is fine)

Use this transcoding tool, TENcoder. It's free and fairly easy to use.

Get it at these websites:
https://portableapps.com/apps/music_...coder-portable
https://www.videohelp.com/software/TEncoder
http://codecpack.co/download/TEncoder.html

The files may be large, but they'll work, if you use VLC as the playback engine. I use 1920 x 1080 at 60 fps on my machine, and it works well.

Check the first post for more information on that.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:03 AM   #472
s9meNiNE

Quote:
Quicktime container
ProRes Proxy Codec (quality between 12 and 20 is fine)
Buffer time on playback is now virtually eliminated, thanks! I skipped over the QuickTime related info in the top post since I thought it didn't apply to Windows, silly me :P

After looking up why this codecs works so much better, I found that my approach (trying to compress the video as small as possible) was actually the opposite of how the problem should be solved, here's an article on the matter that should help any future readers of this thread: http://telestreamblog.telestream.net...hen-editing-2/
s9meNiNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:34 AM   #473
Javier Robledo

Default Mp 4

Hi a little and fast question.

I'm really busy these days and have few time for web searching.

Is it posible to video export straight from Reaper to mp4 format ?

I use Airon suggestions and Handbrake so are Two steps and a big Avi file first from Reaper.

Thanks ¡¡¡

Javier Robledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:32 AM   #474
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecl View Post
Hi a little and fast question.

I'm really busy these days and have few time for web searching.

Is it posible to video export straight from Reaper to mp4 format ?

I use Airon suggestions and Handbrake so are Two steps and a big Avi file first from Reaper.

Thanks ¡¡¡

It takes forever, so no, it's hardly worth it.

Btw, I recommend using the container MKV. AVI can only take 16-bit PCM audio, but MKV can take anything. 16-bit is fine really . I just prefer MKV because all kinds of tools are available to process and create those files as well. MP4 and AVI are quite limited.

One format for sharing video quickly for demonstration purposes is WEBM with the VP8 video codec and OGG audio. ANY web browser can play this file natively(not just VLC), because WEBM with VP8(and VP9) is a supported standard. Youtube actually uses VP9(Video) and Opus(audio) for streaming.

VP8 encodes fairly quickly. VP9 is very slow. Reapers severe limitation is that it tries to encode video with just one CPU core. Thus, Handbrake saves you time for a good quality final master, and all it costs is a couple of GB of hard disk space, temporarily.

Handbrake can encode VP9 as well now btw, and Opus. It even comes with presets for that.

Last edited by airon; 12-06-2017 at 03:46 AM.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:48 AM   #475
dimitris

Quote:
It takes forever, so no, it's hardly worth it.
Hi,

In my case, rendering H264/AAC mp4 videos (or mov) is much faster than VP8/VORBIS webm. Like 4 times faster.
dimitris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 04:18 AM   #476
Javier Robledo

Thanks ¡¡¡
Javier Robledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:36 AM   #477
ADDIKTION

Hi guys,

I am using a portable version of Reaper x64.

I have noticed that even if I copy latest FFmpeg dlls, Reaper seems to use \Plugins\FFmpeg.dll, which seem to be older.

Does this mean FFmpeg is somewhat included with Reaper install?
Old 01-25-2018, 02:57 AM   #478
godly

It's better to post my question here, added to this topic:

I've been using Reaper for years with live video on stage from within the timeline.
Now I started a new project and I've found out that this video takes more CPU than expected.
I'm not sure if it's due to my new laptop (new drivers, new windows new vlc), or due to the video format (mp4 720p).
Suddenly my CPU shoots up an extra 10% only with the video.

Any of you got any ideas what gives the lowest CPU or how to solve my prob?
What are the required settings or decoders needed?
godly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 04:48 AM   #479
Dstruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDIKTION View Post
Does this mean FFmpeg is somewhat included with Reaper install?
A crippled version is included in REAPER.
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 05:03 AM   #480
godly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstruct View Post
A crippled version is included in REAPER.
Thx.
So what is the solution?
godly is offline   Reply With Quote