COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :

Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Other Software Discussion > WDL users forum

Old 11-28-2018, 11:14 AM   #1
Nonlinear
Human being with feelings

Default Most requested plugin format by Mac users?

I'm just starting out cross-compiling my plugins for both Mac and PC and want to limit my options (headaches) for the time being.

What format is most common/preferred by Mac users? VST3 is what I have for PC and probably would, therefore, be easiest to port to Mac but I suspect AU/AAX is more popular.

What do you suggest to get started/most bang for buck developing for Mac?

Last edited by Nonlinear; 11-28-2018 at 08:49 PM.
Nonlinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:24 AM   #2
Judders

VST3 is my preferred option, but if you want Logic users to be able to use it then you'll have to use AU.

AU plugin parameters don't report specific values to REAPER automation, only generic 0-1 range, so VST is preferred in REAPER for me, for this reason.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 07:34 AM   #3
Bobflip

Using the WDL frameworks should make it pretty straightforward to compile for any of the formats, no reason to limit yourself or your users!

Personally though, I go for AU as I'm a Logic user. AAX is the only format I haven't released for as that requires a special license that costs money.
Bobflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:56 AM   #4
Nonlinear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobflip View Post
Using the WDL frameworks should make it pretty straightforward to compile for any of the formats, no reason to limit yourself or your users!
LOL, so far I can't even get my working VST3 PC version to compile as a VST3 in XCode!

Old 11-30-2018, 12:42 PM   #5
Bobflip

Ah, then I think that's the real question! Did the default IPlugEffect OSX VST3 compile and run ok?
Bobflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 01:39 PM   #6
Nonlinear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobflip View Post
Ah, then I think that's the real question! Did the default IPlugEffect OSX VST3 compile and run ok?
Thank you for the follow up. I haven't tried IPlugEffect yet but certainly will. I think the problem is that I'm using XCode 8.2. Oli's instructions say it must be XCode 9+.

As you may have guessed I'm new to this. I wrote several VST plugs many years ago but only VST2 for PC. Lotta new stuff to learn here!

Even when I went to compile IPlugEffect on MSVC it didn't build at first. I had to remove all the projects I wasn't using from the Solution Explorer (AAX, VST2, etc.) and finally got VST3 (only) to build.

I still don't understand why "IPlug, "LICE", and "BASE" show up in the Solution Explorer as "Projects" as if they were separate products. Why don't they show up under the VST3 project heading as part of THAT file tree since they seem to be required for VST3?
Old 11-30-2018, 02:22 PM   #7
gstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonlinear View Post
Thank you for the follow up. I haven't tried IPlugEffect yet but certainly will. I think the problem is that I'm using XCode 8.2. Oli's instructions say it must be XCode 9+.

As you may have guessed I'm new to this. I wrote several VST plugs many years ago but only VST2 for PC. Lotta new stuff to learn here!

Even when I went to compile IPlugEffect on MSVC it didn't build at first. I had to remove all the projects I wasn't using from the Solution Explorer (AAX, VST2, etc.) and finally got VST3 (only) to build.

I still don't understand why "IPlug, "LICE", and "BASE" show up in the Solution Explorer as "Projects" as if they were separate products. Why don't they show up under the VST3 project heading as part of THAT file tree since they seem to be required for VST3?
They are separate standalone projects, that can be loaded and compiled on their own. IPlug and LICE are dependancies of all formats, BASE makes up VST3.
gstuff is offline   Reply With Quote