Old 09-12-2015, 12:45 PM   #1
cereboso
Human being with feelings

Default FX Trim Controls

Idea: Adding simple Input and Output volume trim controls to the FX plugin window.

Sorry if this has been suggested before, but I just thought it might come in handy in certain situations. The built in wet/dry mix knob on every plugin window in Reaper is great but I was thinking it could be cool to have built in trim knobs for pre and post level gain coming into and out of a plugin for gain staging. This would help for certain plugins that don't have their own input or output gain options. See attached graphic mockup (in the top right). This would just be more convenient and lighter on CPU than installing an extra volume trim plugin in between plugins. Thanks!

Last edited by cereboso; 09-12-2015 at 01:41 PM.
cereboso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 01:33 PM   #2
LightOfDay
Banned

I dont think so. at least not regarding reacomp.

because: the wet/dry controls are an output-trim. and the input of a comp is utilised by the threshold. if you would dial in an input-trim you would have to compensate that with the threshold. why turning 2 knobs when 1 is enough?

for reaeq I would like to see an automatic gain-compensation as in TDR VOS Slick EQ. the overall gain of the eq stays constant input to output. so you are not fooled by louder sounds better.

with reacomp you dont want (most of the times) to have a constant input to output ratio. and if so: see above. the trim is already there.
LightOfDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 01:37 PM   #3
cereboso

Ya, the plugin in the example is irrelevant. I just updated the original post to show a generic FX window. This would be universally available for any plugin.
Old 09-12-2015, 02:11 PM   #4
LightOfDay
Banned

ah, yes, universal should be a good idea. you dont have to use them, though it would be an advantage in case.
LightOfDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 02:13 PM   #5
cereboso

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightOfDay View Post
ah, yes, universal should be a good idea. you dont have to use them, though it would be an advantage in case.
Exactly. I wouldn't use them for the vast majority of plugins because they have those options built in, but it would be good to have for the occasions when they don't. And it seems easy enough to implement and pretty unobtrusive.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:04 AM   #6
teeramusic

It's surprising a DAW as well thought out as Reaper doesn't already have this feature! It would be easy to implement (I think) and really super awesome to have!

Of course you can add extra VSTs to do the job, but that's two extra VSTs! Plus that makes it more difficult to bypass and audition.

Last edited by teeramusic; 10-02-2015 at 08:42 AM.
teeramusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 01:32 AM   #7
Masi

That would be nice. But what I miss more is a VU meter for input and output. Some plugins have them, but most of them not.
Masi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 09:51 PM   #8
Kyran

This would be very useful. The wet/dry knob is already fantastic since many plugin devs seem to be oblivious of the need to blend in dry signal. Many plugin devs are also oblivious of the importance of gain staging, and omit input and output trim controls from their plugins. Having it integrated into Reaper would remove a lot of irritation and fiddly workarounds like having to insert extra trim plugins.
Kyran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 09:12 AM   #9
Aeolian

One of the reasons i tend to favour JS plugs over Reaplugs, is because ALL js plugs have meters (optional, customizable), and i can add trim/output controls as i see fit.

I've always found it odd that JS has generic metering as standard, but VST and Reaplugs do not.

At least once a day, i wish VST had generic meters, across the board, just like JS plugs ... after reading this thread, i'm certain i'll start pining for trim knobs as well

Some VST plugin GUIs have little or no metering (mod plugs, for example), so one has to slap a simple JS meter/fader before and/or after these plugs in an FX chain ... It's pretty simple to do this, but at the same time it's messy and rather chaotic.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:41 AM   #10
cereboso

That would also be really nice to have a checkbox in the same place to make optional meters appear on the left and right just like the JS plugins have.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:03 AM   #11
foliage

Old post, but fx trim controls would be cool, especially an output trim. I have quite a few plugins that don't have an output trim on them and it can make them a pain to use. Adding another plugin and toggling about just to hear a level matched comparison can be annoying.
foliage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:09 AM   #12
thunderaxe

i would like to echo this request. there are plenty of FX that produce major volume differences with no ability to compensate for this with a built-in output volume trim. it makes it much more difficult to A/B when i need to insert a separate volume trim VST after it and click them both on and off to compare.
thunderaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:32 AM   #13
Tone Ranger

Absolutely +1000 on this. Unfortunately too many plugins don't include input and output gain controls, yet they affect the gain level of the track when used...which is pretty annoying. Having input and output gain alongside the wet/dry control on each plugin instance would be HUGE!! Simple, but really useful for gain staging. Please consider adding this!!! :-)
Tone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 06:03 PM   #14
rbm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Ranger View Post
Absolutely +1000 on this. Unfortunately too many plugins don't include input and output gain controls, yet they affect the gain level of the track when used...which is pretty annoying. Having input and output gain alongside the wet/dry control on each plugin instance would be HUGE!! Simple, but really useful for gain staging. Please consider adding this!!! :-)
Very much agree with this!
rbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 08:31 AM   #15
caronte23

THIS!
caronte23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 10:07 AM   #16
JonLinnarson

Default Pretty please

I would love this! If the Cockos team could implement this together with a small pre-gain/trim knob or slider for every track, to easily gain stage without using extra plug-ins, my life would be complete... at least DAW-wise 😅 I promise to never look at another DAW ever again if this happens 🙏
JonLinnarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 12:03 PM   #17
Tone Ranger

Really hope more Reaper folks support this, such a simple but massively useful addition to make gain staging simple.
Tone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:34 AM   #18
Kr3eM

Yes, I support this feature request
Kr3eM is offline   Reply With Quote