Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 10-15-2017, 06:31 AM   #1
colonel_claypool
Human being with feelings

Default How to makemedia item color more saturated?

Hi,

does anybody know the setting I've got to change for a media item color to have exactly the same saturation as the track color?

I'm using the Rado v4 theme and my media items look less saturated in the same color compared to a track color.
Please see the attached image.

I found "Media item background fill mode" in the Theme Development/Tweaker editor. It is currently set to "Normal" with "Alpha: 1.000"
Changing this setting did only make it less saturated.

Thanks for your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (57.6 KB, 345 views)

Last edited by colonel_claypool; 10-15-2017 at 06:50 AM.
colonel_claypool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 04:49 PM   #2
sickamorz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_claypool View Post
Hi,

does anybody know the setting I've got to change for a media item color to have exactly the same saturation as the track color?

I'm using the Rado v4 theme and my media items look less saturated in the same color compared to a track color.
Please see the attached image.

I found "Media item background fill mode" in the Theme Development/Tweaker editor. It is currently set to "Normal" with "Alpha: 1.000"
Changing this setting did only make it less saturated.

Thanks for your help.
use the theme development / tweaker to get the exact color then duplicate it in the desired location.
sickamorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:33 PM   #3
colonel_claypool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickamorz View Post
use the theme development / tweaker to get the exact color then duplicate it in the desired location.
Hi, thanks for your input. Could you please clarify what you mean by:'[...] duplicate it in the desired location'? I don't really know the correct option for changing the background overlay except for what I already mentioned (I found "Media item background fill mode" in the Theme Development/Tweaker editor. It is currently set to "Normal" with "Alpha: 1.000"). However, this didn`t change it. Or am I missing something else.

Thanks for you clarification.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:19 AM   #4
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

The appearance of custom coloured media items is a composite of the colour you chose and an image (item_bg.png or item_bg_sel.png if the item is selected). So, the easiest way to get only the colour you chose would be to remove or disable the image.

See THIS STICKY to learn how to unpack a theme so you can get at its images, and how to refresh a theme so you can see any changes once you've made them.
  • Unpack the theme.
  • Delete (or rename) item_bg.png and item_bg_sel.png.
  • Refresh the theme.

After that, if you want to get a bit fancier, there are indeed ways to have styled media items that also show a rich custom colour. See my post HERE for a introduction. Since you're using an old pre-V5 theme you'd need to do a little bit of editing to get it up to V5 spec, but nothing too odious.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:38 AM   #5
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
Since you're using an old pre-V5 theme you'd need to do a little bit of editing to get it up to V5 spec, but nothing too odious.
I wonder if a tool could be made to update old themes and insert the missing bits with basic values?
Old 10-16-2017, 10:22 AM   #6
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
I wonder if a tool could be made to update old themes and insert the missing bits with basic values?
If you turn an old theme into a V5 theme with the required rtconfig entry, you can then freely steal the item_bg from a V5 theme who's item colouring you like and just drop it in, and get the expected outcome. So obviously that's desirable.

However, you would then see no custom colour whatsoever without adding some transparent bits to the preV5 TCP/MCP panel images, since its a overall theme setting. Adding a blanket amount of transparency would duplicate the old method (sort of), so that would at least give you the V5 item colouring with no panel change. But that sounds like an awful lot of messing about for not much return, IMO.

For old themes to move into the future, in all practicality at some point someone's got to do a bit of work.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:04 AM   #7
colonel_claypool

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
The appearance of custom coloured media items is a composite of the colour you chose and an image (item_bg.png or item_bg_sel.png if the item is selected). So, the easiest way to get only the colour you chose would be to remove or disable the image.

See THIS STICKY to learn how to unpack a theme so you can get at its images, and how to refresh a theme so you can see any changes once you've made them.
  • Unpack the theme.
  • Delete (or rename) item_bg.png and item_bg_sel.png.
  • Refresh the theme.

After that, if you want to get a bit fancier, there are indeed ways to have styled media items that also show a rich custom colour. See my post HERE for a introduction. Since you're using an old pre-V5 theme you'd need to do a little bit of editing to get it up to V5 spec, but nothing too odious.
Thanks a lot for your help. I was able to remove the overlay image.