Old 10-06-2023, 03:03 AM   #1
Daniel Webb
Human being with feelings

Default Realearn track selector

Hi,
Having fun with TouchOSC and ReaLearn, trying to create a track selector, but I feel like I'm missing something important.

At the moment I have an 8 step TouchOSC radio control that is mapped to update Parameter 1 of ReaLearn and a second realearn mapping that sets the selected reaper track based on Parameter 1. That sort of works, however, the TouchOSC radio does not update if I manually select a track in reaper, obviously because it's not connected to anything.

My question is if using a Realearn Parameter like this is the best way to select tracks in Reaper?

The end goal is to be able to switch 'banks' of 8 tracks with a bank radio and then select one of the 8 tracks with the track radio. Other controls will then allow adjusting of the selected tracks key channel parameters.

I've attached screenshots of the two realearn mappings and the touchosc channel selector.

I also made a little video showing the issue if that helps:

Many thanks for any assistance you can provide, I'm so excited by the potential of this tech stack, but still at the steep end of the learning curve!

Daniel
Attached Images
File Type: png realearn mapping 1 - set p1.png (46.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: png realearn mapping 2 - p1 set selected track.png (43.9 KB, 46 views)
File Type: png touchosc channel selector.png (16.7 KB, 46 views)
Daniel Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 02:12 PM   #2
7enz

try
Track: <dynamic> selected_track_indexes[0]

as the p[0] dynamic track selection is based on a fixed position
ie track1 = p[0]

whereas selected_track_indexes[0] is relative to the selected position
ie if track 5 is selected that becomes index 0 or the relative track1

not sure if it will work or not *shrugs
7enz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 12:06 PM   #3
Daniel Webb

Thanks Zenz, I’ll give that a go and report back
Old 10-08-2023, 12:00 PM   #4
Daniel Webb

Hi Zenz,

Thanks for the suggestion but I couldn’t get this to work at all:
Track: <dynamic> selected_track_indexes[0]

I have got a functioning track selector working. It doesn’t stay synced if you select a track in reaper so if anyone can advise on that it would be appreciated, but it does work apart from that so onwards and upwards!
Old 10-09-2023, 06:50 AM   #5
MST

The way I did it,,
I used the "Project: Brows Tracks" Realearn action, controlled with TouchOSC radio buttons.
Works well, feedback and everything.

I used it without banking, just made the row of radio's as long as needed.

I used the "Tracks: Select/unselect" method as well, but used normal buttons for that (no radios).
(Combined with bank activation for more channel banks)
Also worked well, feedback included.

Feel free to ask as much as you like,,

Last edited by MST; 10-09-2023 at 07:23 AM.
MST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 10:30 AM   #6
Daniel Webb

Hi MST,
Nice one, thank you, you've really helped me!

The Project Browse Tracks is great (why did I never find that!!) with radios for a fixed number of tracks, but I don't see a way to use it with banks.

Quote:
I used the "Tracks: Select/unselect" method as well, but used normal buttons for that (no radios).
(Combined with bank activation for more channel banks)
Also worked well, feedback included.
I have got pretty close switching to buttons for the track selectors. The only bit that's not working is the bank selector:

If I use a radio for the bank selector then it works fine apart from selecting a track in reaper outside of the selected bank. The bank and track don't change.

If I use buttons for the bank selector then I can't figure out how to show which bank is selected.

Any advice?
Old 10-10-2023, 05:24 PM   #7
MST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Webb View Post
Any advice?
I'm just a basic Reaper user, I'm sure there are many (and better) ways of doing things, but I used the Realearn Select/unselect function with TouchOSC toggle buttons on track-selections, and when needing more banks of select buttons, I just used the Realearn Bank selection with mappings to the other tracks as explained in the manual.

An other recommendation I can ad, is checking out CSI, there is a complete TouchOSC setup included made by MixMonkey with a rich toolset, the setup is not that hard, and you might have all you need there at ones.
MST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 07:23 AM   #8
helgoboss

Quote:
Hi MST,
Nice one, thank you, you've really helped me!

The Project Browse Tracks is great (why did I never find that!!) with radios for a fixed number of tracks, but I don't see a way to use it with banks.

I have got pretty close switching to buttons for the track selectors. The only bit that's not working is the bank selector:

If I use a radio for the bank selector then it works fine apart from selecting a track in reaper outside of the selected bank. The bank and track don't change.

If I use buttons for the bank selector then I can't figure out how to show which bank is selected.

Any advice?
I think what you need is target-based conditional activation.

First, for each button/track, use a mapping with "Track: Select/unselect" with the "exclusive" option. That gives you a radio-button like behavior. It's better than "Project: Browse tracks" in your case because you can accurately define which tracks should be selected/unselected. "Browse" is only suitable for encoders and incremental (+/-) buttons.

Then set the "Active" option of the dependent mappings (the ones that should automatically get active/inactive based on track selection) to "When target value met" with expression "y > 0", pointing to the corresponding mappings of the first step.
helgoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 04:25 AM   #9
Daniel Webb

Thanks helgoboss,

with target-based conditional activation I can get the bank buttons of my track selector to respond correctly when clicked, or when the 'bank' realearn parameter changes, but I still can't get the bank to change when the selected track is changed in reaper. It's only a small thing and I should leave it as it is, but it is driving me crazy.

I think it comes down to this question:
I have set up two realearn parameters for selected bank (0-3) and track (0-7). Is there any way these can change when I click on a track in reaper?
Old 10-12-2023, 04:38 AM   #10
helgoboss

Quote:
Thanks helgoboss,

with target-based conditional activation I can get the bank buttons of my track selector to respond correctly when clicked, or when the 'bank' realearn parameter changes, but I still can't get the bank to change when the selected track is changed in reaper. It's only a small thing and I should leave it as it is, but it is driving me crazy.

I think it comes down to this question:
I have set up two realearn parameters for selected bank (0-3) and track (0-7). Is there any way these can change when I click on a track in reaper?
What's your understanding of bank? A particular value of one of ReaLearn's internal parameters?
Old 10-12-2023, 05:22 AM   #11
Daniel Webb

Quote:
What's your understanding of bank? A particular value of one of ReaLearn's internal parameters?
Sorry, I am talking about my track selector in TouchOSC having 4 banks of 8 tracks. So there are 4 bank buttons and 8 track buttons.

Maybe easiest to see in a quick video:

thanks
Old 10-12-2023, 05:27 AM   #12
helgoboss

I'll have a look at the video later.

In the meantime, concerning your question before about ReaLearn parameters: No.

The following explanation might help you understand how it works and where are the limitations of this feature:

Imagine a railway switch. The position of the railway switch affects where the train will go (at some point in future). If it's switched to A, the train will go to direction A. If switched to B, it will go to B. A ReaLearn parameter is just like that railway switch and A and B are the banks.

The switchman can press buttons to put the railway switch into another position. That's what you can do in ReaLearn as well: Map some buttons to "FX parameter: Set value". That's how you change banks.

What a railway switch doesn't do: Change it's position automatically because the train somehow manages to go to A or B on its own Same in ReaLearn. ReaLearn parameters are unidirectional when it comes to cause and effect. You can use them to influence other things. But they can't be influenced themselves by those other things.

I think you can go completely without the banks. Just target-based conditional activation.
Old 10-12-2023, 06:02 AM   #13
Daniel Webb

Haha, thank you for the analogy. I will try building another track selector without using parameters.