Old 11-16-2017, 05:56 AM   #41
_Stevie_
Human being with feelings

Yes, it would be easier, I agree. But it's also more flexible the way it is now:

Imagine that you have an instrument with keyswitches on a track.
You will use Sustain and Staccato articulations. When using the same delay
for one track, you will have issues, because the articulations need different delay values. However, when you put the delay on an item you are way more flexible. I personally like the item approach more.
For now, you could create track presets with the delay already inserted.
_Stevie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 03:29 PM   #42
cfillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tusitala View Post
It would be amazing if it was applicable to group tracks (for example "LASS Strings") as well without having to set it for every single track.
Folder tracks already exists for applying the same processing to a bunch of tracks.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:40 PM   #43
Gass n Klang

still missing that feature. it's one of the features I'm missing the most since I turned from cubase to reaper two years ago.
Gass n Klang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:37 PM   #44
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gass n Klang View Post
still missing that feature. it's one of the features I'm missing the most since I turned from cubase to reaper two years ago.
Please let me know why you think it's not easy enough just to use the plugi provided ? (In fact I am about to release an improved version of same via ReaPack.)

I understand that using a +/- delay on a track is very viable in certain situations (e.g. for phase compensation between multiple mics), but unless you feel the need to impose this on close to any track, using the plugin is not much of a hassle ?

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:25 AM   #45
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
I understand that using a +/- delay on a track is very viable in certain situations (e.g. for phase compensation between multiple mics), but unless you feel the need to impose this on close to any track, using the plugin is not much of a hassle ?
Hi Michael, thanks so much for the plugin. You've actually hit right on the head with the problem. There are SO many libraries and samples you need a negative track delay on that it makes it very onerous to put a time adjustment plugin on all of them.

The other thing is we are talking about MIDI here, not audio. So, it's a much more efficient implementation to simply adjust the MIDI offset rather than putting an audio plugin on a track, especially with the number of tracks that need an offset delay.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:32 AM   #46
mschnell

Negative delay is accomplished by making the plugin specify a delay to the DAW is claims to impose while in fact it does not do so. Now the DAW imposes such delay do all other tracks, appropriately.

A positive delay needs to be done by the plugin itself by doing appropriate operations on the audio data. This of course does impose additional "local" overhead.

Positive Midi delay needs to be done by appropriate specifying the position of Midi messages within an audio sample block's time and if it falls outside of same storing it for some future block. This is a rather complex task.

AFAIK, it's not possible to do negative Midi delay (other than doing the same as with negative audio delay).

-Michael
Old 11-17-2017, 08:33 AM   #47
Klangfarben

Quote:
AFAIK, it's not possible to do negative Midi delay (other than doing the same as with negative audio delay).
Negative MIDI delay isn't that hard at all. You are simply telling the DAW to play the MIDI data early by a certain amount. There isn't any audio processing involved. Hence one of the reasons it is standard on most DAWs.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:12 AM   #48
mschnell

OK. So I see that the request for negative Midi delay as a Reaper feature might be viable, as it can't be done by a plugin.

-Michael
Old 11-17-2017, 10:15 AM   #49
deeb

Quote:
OK. So I see that the request for negative Midi delay as a Reaper feature might be viable, as it can't be done by a plugin.

-Michael
yes please +1
deeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:14 PM   #50
mpl

I use some custom script to quick add delay control to TCP. Just added it to ReaPack as mpl_Add time adjustment JSFX to selected tracks (with delay TCP).lua
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:22 PM   #51
_Stevie_

Awesome, thanks mpl!
Old 12-10-2017, 06:03 PM   #52
MorkV

Very very very needs this!! Js plugs often works incorrect(time_adjustments not works with kontakt and VEpro) or increase the load on cpu(if we has big project with 200-300 tracks)
MorkV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:58 PM   #53
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpl View Post
I use some custom script to quick add delay control to TCP. Just added it to ReaPack as mpl_Add time adjustment JSFX to selected tracks (with delay TCP).lua
Great !
Found it.
But no idea what exactly it does and how (and why) to use it
-Michael
Old 12-11-2017, 05:45 AM   #54
_Stevie_

This is for sample libraries that introduce a delay when using legato transitions like CSS or Hollywood Strings. Even for percussion where the attacks/transients haven't been cut to death, this can be helpful.

Last edited by _Stevie_; 12-11-2017 at 06:21 AM.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:17 AM   #55
heda

helpful? no... essential

I'm want to add presets to the delay panel in Track Inspector. So you can have a menu with names of the libraries to quickly add the exact delay you know it works for a particular library.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 06:21 AM   #56
_Stevie_

Wow, awesome, that would rock!
Old 12-18-2017, 06:14 PM   #57
tusitala

Default Time Adjustment not being bounced in the stems

Hi!
I've been successfully using JS Time Adjustment on my strings folder track, to compensate for a bit of delay in my strings library. It works perfectly!

Today I exported Stems for the first time, and when listening back to the exported stems, i found out the plugin is not "translated" into the rendered tracks...i tried twice and always got the same result...why?

is it normal behaviour?

is it because i put it on the folder track that contains my strings tracks instead of individually placing one instance of it on the individual tracks?

thanks for your help!
all the best
-t
tusitala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:43 PM   #58
FlowDenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Yes, it would be easier, I agree. But it's also more flexible the way it is now:

Imagine that you have an instrument with keyswitches on a track.
You will use Sustain and Staccato articulations. When using the same delay
for one track, you will have issues, because the articulations need different delay values. However, when you put the delay on an item you are way more flexible. I personally like the item approach more.
For now, you could create track presets with the delay already inserted.
I know this is an older thread, but has this been addressed? I've searched the forum the best that I can, and I was unable to find a good non audio plug in solution. I agree with Stevie that a per item solution would be best. I'm a former L*gic user and I need the ability to shift a MIDI item by a negative value while keeping the item and it's contents aligned or quantized on the grid. This is because of the variable delays incurred by CSS legato performance for instance.
It would make it a lot easier to edit the MIDI information on the grid while having REAPER calculate the negative shift.
I know I can "nudge" the Item or MIDI information manually but I feel like it would be double work to shift back and forth whenever I want to make an edit or draw notes in. I'm aware of Heda's track inspector (with track delay), as well as MPL's time shift script (both utilize an audio plug in). Unfortunately none of the JS plugins allow shifting MIDI information earlier.
Any help or workarounds are appreciated.
Also, should I put this in as a feature request?
Thank you in advance!
FlowDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:55 PM   #59
tack

I know this doesn't help the general case, but I intend to incorporate this capability into Reaticulate at some point. I've done a proof of concept:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Yu74i53FyY

It's able to adjust MIDI offsets based on, in this case, note velocity, which for CSS will trigger different legato speeds (requiring different offsets).

I could probably clean up this prototype and release a simple script to do a fixed negative delay. Would at least bring parity with something like Logic. For anything more sophisticated, I'd prefer to invest that time adding the capability into Reaticulate (since it already has the notion of articulations and can contextualize delay based on current articulation).
tack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 06:26 PM   #60
FlowDenny

Tack!!!!! That's brilliant! If there is anything I can do to help you test or further the script along please let me know. I think it's a great solution until something better comes along.
FlowDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 03:21 PM   #61
Xaviez

The earliest feature request I've found for this stems from back in 2009, but I will still hold some hope that this will be implemented as a base feature in Reaper.
So far have not been able to find a proper workaround for it, other than dealing with offsetting the MIDI notes manually.
Xaviez is offline   Reply With Quote