Old 09-11-2017, 06:59 PM   #1
PausitiveSounds
Human being with feelings

Default I'm a noob! Midi device problems

Hello all! I'm new to the Reaper life and I've run into a problem that is impeding further progress. I have a Yamaha ypg635 with the correct driver that I can see in my computer and the Reaper midi device menu as a Grand Piano. I'm having problems getting the ASIO4ALL v2 driver to work properly. So then I tried some diy with the Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO driver to no avail. The "input lines" (correct me if there is better terminology) first/last are faded out with no options for me to select. The bar next to the track that should react to an input isn't doing anything. What are the typical causes for this? I've gone through the manual and I can't seem to find the info I'm looking for, but that may be because I'm new to the platform and a lot of it goes over my head. Could someone please advise how I can resolve this problem or point me in a more specific place in the manual to resolve my issue or give me a checklist of things you go through to make sure your midi device is connected or a better place in the forums to take my problem. Ridicule me if you must. Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited by PausitiveSounds; 09-11-2017 at 07:17 PM. Reason: adding relevant info that I forgot before
PausitiveSounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:54 PM   #2
trevlyns

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Plenty of knowledgeable folk here, but regrettably, I'm not one of them But I could maybe get the ball rolling with this suggestion.

Right click the track record button and make sure it's set to Input MIDI>all MIDI Inputs>all channels. Next ensure you have a monitoring mode enabled (right click the monitor button) and finally that the track is record armed.

Hope this helps, if not I'm sure others will jump in soon.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:04 AM   #3
viscofisy

Are you trying to run another device, apart from your Yamaha keyboard?

ASIO and ASIO4all are audio drivers, and shouldn't have anything to do with getting a MIDI device (your Yamaha keyboard) functioning.

I don't know how much you know - but Audio and MIDI are completely different things.
MIDI is a message-sending protocol which has no sounds - only messages about sounds ... like which note to play, how hard it was struck, how long it was held etc etc. These messages are sent to whatever VSTi instrument you have loaded on a track in your DAW. You won't get any sound from your Yamaha over USB MIDI.
_

To get your keyboard MIDI working :

● Make sure you have the latest Yamaha USB MIDI Driver installed (it's likely on their downloads page).

● Then go to Reaper's MIDI Devices page (OPTIONS> Preferences>MIDI Devices) and select and enable your Yamaha.

● Open a New Track in Reaper, and from the Input dropdown select MIDI>(name of your device)>all channels.

● Then load a VSTi (virtual instrument like a software synth or software piano etc)

● On the Reaper Track Control Panel - enable Record and enable Monitoring.

● Play your keyboard - you should now hear whatever VSTi you have loaded playing (through whatever audio device or soundcard or headphones you have connected to your computer).
_
viscofisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:42 PM   #4
PausitiveSounds

Default Thanks sensei

Thank you for your input viscofisy! To answer your question, I am not trying to run any other device other than my keyboard and I had already enabled it. So from what I'm getting from your post is that I should stick with the ASIO4ALL default and it should work. Thanks for your advice on the VSTI workings; that's probably where my problems are coming from. I understand now about the difference between midi and audio. Do you, or anyone else, have advice on on good VSTI downloads and setup? I believe there is a section in the manual about it and I will check it, but tips and tricks would be appreciated. Sorry about the wait on a reply. Hope you have a great day!
PausitiveSounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:40 PM   #5
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by PausitiveSounds View Post
advice on on good VSTI downloads
There are a huge lot of them. e. g. look an the KVM site.

If you are into synths: A free and very nice I use is the "DEXED" - DX7-emulation.

-Michaael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:01 AM   #6
xpoes

This post should get you going :-)

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=52382
Old 09-13-2017, 01:05 AM   #7
viscofisy

The first thing you need to do is create a new folder on your hard drive.

I don't know what version of Windows you're using - but navigate to something like Computer>> C Drive (or choose a drive if you have more than one).

Make a new folder and call it something obvious that you'll remember - say "VST64" - because that's where you'll store your downloaded instruments and effects. If you intend to also use (the older) 32bit plugins then you need to create an additional folder for them - "VST32" springs to mind
_

The important file generally in a download is the .dll file.
That's the one you need to copy into your new folder.
However, some instruments come with presets or with samples. Follow any instructions if there's an installer, or ask here. In any case, even if there's an installer it will usually ask where you want the actual VST placed ... and that's your new folder.

It's not half as daunting as it might sound from reading this

Once you've done it a few times it'll seem really simple.
_

●● Once you've placed your new instruments into the new folder(s) you need to tell REAPER where the folder(s) are. You do that in REAPER by going to OPTIONS>>Preferences>>VST.
You'll see a dialogue box at the top of that page where it asks for the folder path. Just browse to your new "VST64" (or whatever) folder, and confirm (or OK or "apply" ... I forget the exact wording).
_

Lile the others said, there's tons of good free instruments like the Dexed one mentioned - depending on what sounds you're after.

● For synths, for starters, I'd go to Uhe - one of the top developers - and download Tyrell N6 or Zebralette or Podolski ... or all three. That should get you started, and you can download anything you fancy after that.
Here's the link for Zebralette - it's the simplest to operate, but still has some nice sounds :
https://www.u-he.com/cms/zebralette

● For piano, an old favourite seems to be the one now found at Dead Duck Software
Here's the link for that :
http://deadducksoftware.blogspot.ie/...th-bundle.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by PausitiveSounds View Post
Ridicule me if you must. Thanks in advance!!!
What with all the info, I clean forgot to ridicule you - I'll mibby get around to that later

_

Last edited by viscofisy; 09-13-2017 at 01:11 AM.
viscofisy is offline   Reply With Quote