Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 03-26-2024, 12:39 AM   #1
joesh
Human being with feelings

Default Warning: Cleaning Up & Deleting Unused Files

Just a warning after watching the excellent Kenny Gioia video on "Cleaning Up & Deleting Unused Files". At the moment, Reaper doesn't recognise your rendered files as important, as they are not part of the project - if you see what I mean. This means if you select the delete option on the 'clean current project', your rendered files will disappear into the trash!

I've sent a message to the Reaper team suggesting that Reaper should by default create a 'Renders' file in the project file, where all rendered work will be put by default (unless you choose otherwise). This means that when 'cleaning current directory', Reaper would take into account the Renders file as part of the project, and thus not delete it.

BTW, if someone knows something different, please update me here as it could be useful to know (maybe there's something I've missed).
joesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 12:56 AM   #2
DrKev

You can set a specific directory for Renders in Preferences > General > Paths.
Old 03-26-2024, 01:07 AM   #3
joesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
You can set a specific directory for Renders in Preferences > General > Paths.
Yes, this I know, and a good point to mention (see below). But, it would seem a good idea that Reaper actually creates a default file which is considered a part of the project, just to be safe.

BTW, even though you can set your render option in preferences, you'd need to update it each time for each project (at least a file name).
joesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 05:04 AM   #4
Frank Lee Scarlett

I never render into the project folder. I have a separate "Wave" folder, an "Mp3 folder", "pre-master" folder, etc...

This way, I don't ever have to worry about changing render settings or anything like that. (I didn't even know there were "render settings").

I'm not disagreeing with you that some kind of warning would be helpful.
But, just saying a good solution is to just have separate "rendered" folders.

Last edited by Frank Lee Scarlett; 03-26-2024 at 07:45 AM.
Frank Lee Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 07:13 AM   #5
ScuzzyEye

I wouldn't normally consider any sort of output to be part of the project, because it can be rebuilt. Only the the files needed to render would be important. Just render it again. (Reaper does have an option to save an .RPP with the state of the render, if you're worried about making changes after and not being able to recreate the same output again.)
ScuzzyEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 07:26 AM   #6
mister happy

My default File > New project has ..\mixes listed as the default Render Output Directory, so renders end up inside my project folder in another folder called "mixes."

Every render preset I use has a similar or slightly modified path. For example, if I am working on an album, I may place the "mixes" folder in the album's directory alongside the constituent songs' project folders.

I would never render into my audio folder. It seems like a good way to make a mess that will then need to be cleaned up.
mister happy is offline   Reply With Quote