Old 12-08-2019, 05:37 AM   #1
RobertP
Human being with feelings

Default Elves messed with my theme

I am a bit puzzled here.
I am using a theme that was in the stash a while back but not now - sort of retro thing? I have made and saved some minor coloring tweaks only.

I decided to clean up my portable Reaper folder and delete the many many try-out themes I had there, though not any Reaper default ones. Fortunately I cut and pasted them to a non Reaper folder because when I then opened Reaper my theme seemed to have reverted to something very different. I could post screen shots later.

When I put the unwanted themes back it reverted to my theme. Now I suppose I could cut them out then put them back one at a time to spot what worked together, but am curious as to why this might happen. Would there be bits of code in another theme that my one relies on? would a Reaperthemezip do that, I thought they were distinct inclusive packages?
A puzzle...
Old 12-08-2019, 09:54 AM   #2
lucas_LCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertP
Would there be bits of code in another theme that my one relies on? would a Reaperthemezip do that, I thought they were distinct inclusive packages?
It sounds like your theme is still relying on resources from another theme.
I'm guessing your images and layouts don't look anything like they did previously.

If you created a full theme zip that included the image folder, then you files are there, but your theme is still set to look at the other for thos files.

- open your theme
- open the Theme Tweaker from the Reaper action list.
- look at the image path in the box at the bottom of that tweaker window.
- click the Browse button, then navigate to and select your theme
- click the Save button at the top of the Tweaker window.
- move the other theme out of the ColorThemes folder and reload your theme to test.

If it's still not looking right, unpack/unzip your theme and verify the main theme file and the image folder were packed together.
check that the image folder has all the images needed and the RTCONFIG file is there and includes your customizations.

::
Old 12-08-2019, 02:54 PM   #3
RobertP

I really appreciate your help Lucas.
I have grandkids for a few days now so will get to try it at some point.
I will post back here with results.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:49 AM   #4
RobertP

Tried what you posted Lucas but the 'browse to my theme' bit wouldn't take me past the Colored Theme Folder.

I looked at all my themes in explorer and noticed that there were several versions of my preferred theme of different sizes. The biggest, about 2,500KB held all the information - main theme file, the image folder and config. The one I was using was about 9KB and so I think was acting like a shortcut.

So, I cut everything unrelated to my theme from the Reaper Theme folder (pasted elsewhere for safety)apart from Reaper defaults, and it turned out ok, apart from a few very minor tweaks missing. Looking at the defaults, it is apparent that resources were used from the v1.x classic theme... ah well.

Now, again for safeties sake, I need to learn how to save my theme in total so it is in one .ReaperThemezip after putting back the minor tweaks.

Once again, thanks for taking the trouble to help
Old 12-09-2019, 09:53 AM   #5
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
Now, again for safeties sake, I need to learn how to save my theme in total so it is in one .ReaperThemezip after putting back the minor tweaks.
Inside the .ReaperThemeZip package you have the .ReaperTheme color definition file and a folder which has all the image resources, as well as the rtconfig file.

When you are doing edits with the Theme tweaker and save the edited theme from there, a new .ReaperTheme color definition file will be saved into the root of the ColorThemes folder. Later on when you are using this modified & saved theme, this new .ReaperTheme file overrides the original one inside the theme package.

So if you want to make a complete theme package, you will have to replace the original .ReaperTheme file inside the .ReaperThemeZip with the new one.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:20 AM   #6
RobertP

Oh, that simple ..cough..
I will give it a go and see what happens.
Many thanks
Old 12-10-2019, 03:29 AM   #7
RobertP

Worked a treat
Big thank you all