Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Live Use

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2019, 03:10 PM   #1
brk303
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Serbia
Posts: 39
Default Best way to setup 70 songs setlist for live performance

We're going to use Reaper live for automated effects and backing tracks. The plan is for singer to use a tablet with Bandhelper for navigation between songs.
On song selection Bandhelper can send Midi information and I can map it to action in Reaper.
So the plan is to have a repertoire of 70 songs to choose from and being able to navigate to selected song.

Now the question is how to best organize this ?

I could think of few approaches:
1. Make one big project with all 70 songs and then navigate via markers and regions, but there are "only" 30 markers available.
2. have 70 separate projects and load selected one, but how can I load selected project ?
3. Subprojects ? Don't know enough about them, could work, but again not sure how to select the correct subproject.

Any ideas or tips ?
brk303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 08:52 PM   #2
Dynsdale
Human being with feelings
 
Dynsdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 163
Default

Can you do 70 tracks, and make midi commands that go to next track, rewinds and play?
Dynsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 12:35 AM   #3
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Krefeld, Germany
Posts: 8,657
Default

ReaPack -> Song switcher (for Live use)

Seems like to be done for exactly this purpose
Michal (did not try it yet)
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 06:31 AM   #4
dazastah
Human being with feelings
 
dazastah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 114
Default

I use regions instead of markers because regions are better to use for arranging sections/songs around..

You may need to have sws extentions for some extra cool actions that help..
Also sws ext has marker actions..So when the play head cursor goes past a marker it will trigger a action. example would be to goto next region and pause . This marker would be at the end of every region if you dont want the songs to simply play through.

So use MArkers for Marker actions and Regions for songs.


Or You can use Miditoreacontrol path and use midi notes to trigger actions instead of marker actions. This is how i do it as its neater i think than having markers and regions .

I now see theres a "goto marker 30" limit . even though you can have more than 30 markers..

To get around this you need sws extentions.
After installing you have to edit the sws.ini file in the reaper resource path.
Find this line
S&M_GOTO_SEL_REGION=
put in 70 or how many songs you want in your project.
save
open reaper
you will now have "x" amount of actions for goto sel region smooth seek
all of which can be midi assignable. That should give you direct navigation to particular song/region number.
This is how i would do it. Having ll songs in linear fashion allows the use of smooth seek .. ie go to next song without gap .. smooth transition.
dazastah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 12:26 PM   #5
brk303
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Serbia
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynsdale View Post
Can you do 70 tracks, and make midi commands that go to next track, rewinds and play?
I probably could but I if I want to go from song 1 to song 51 I need to click next 50 times, live on stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
ReaPack -> Song switcher (for Live use)

Seems like to be done for exactly this purpose
Michal (did not try it yet)
Yes, the name sounds like it's doing what I want, but it's not.
What Song switcher does is mute/unmute tracks, so you need one track per song.
That approach doesn't make sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazastah View Post
I use regions instead of markers because regions are better to use for arranging sections/songs around..

You may need to have sws extentions for some extra cool actions that help..
Also sws ext has marker actions..So when the play head cursor goes past a marker it will trigger a action. example would be to goto next region and pause . This marker would be at the end of every region if you dont want the songs to simply play through.

So use MArkers for Marker actions and Regions for songs.


Or You can use Miditoreacontrol path and use midi notes to trigger actions instead of marker actions. This is how i do it as its neater i think than having markers and regions .

I now see theres a "goto marker 30" limit . even though you can have more than 30 markers..

To get around this you need sws extentions.
After installing you have to edit the sws.ini file in the reaper resource path.
Find this line
S&M_GOTO_SEL_REGION=
put in 70 or how many songs you want in your project.
save
open reaper
you will now have "x" amount of actions for goto sel region smooth seek
all of which can be midi assignable. That should give you direct navigation to particular song/region number.
This is how i would do it. Having ll songs in linear fashion allows the use of smooth seek .. ie go to next song without gap .. smooth transition.
Thanks for the detailed response !
All great advice.

I decided to use regions for songs as well. Not sure so far if I need markers, I think I can just go to region instead. Didn't yet think about what I want to happen at the end of song/region.

Where I'm stuck is using Song Select MIDI message that Bandhelper sends to Reaper. I can see the message arrives and has correct MIDI raw hex format $F3 XX 00.
But I can't assign it to any action since it's not the expected type, it expects MIDI controller messages, etc.
Any idea how to implement that Song Selecte message with song #3 goes to Region #3 ?
brk303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 02:57 PM   #6
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Krefeld, Germany
Posts: 8,657
Default

In a dedicated track, you could do a JSFX plugin that converts the " $F3 XX 00" Midi Message to a CC message and then use MidiToReaControlPath do sent such message to the Reaper Action mechnism.
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 08:29 PM   #7
Tonegrown
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk303 View Post
Didn't yet think about what I want to happen at the end of song/region.
Marker actions for specifying transport stop. put !1026 in marker name and reaper will stop at the marker.


I address songs by their location on the timeline. I used to do markers but now prefer a simple lua script created in actions window. I don't know who the original author may have been, but i would have found this on reaper forums. msr = your measure number where the song starts. I have close to 100 songs in my session and it works very well. (be careful with time signatures as changing them per song may move measures #s around.)

local msr = 1
local moveview = 1 -- set 1 if you want to move view -- set 0 = don't move view
----------------------------------------------------
local msrcalc = msr-1
local time = reaper.TimeMap_GetMeasureInfo(0, msrcalc)
reaper.SetEditCurPos2(0, time, moveview, 0)
Tonegrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 04:41 AM   #8
EcBaPr
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sydney
Posts: 186
Default

why are you saying there is only 30 markers ? you can added more than 30 markers on the timeline but are you referring to the goto marker action only having 30 ?

the best way to set this up I think is with OSC on a tablet.. I did it a while ago.. I used regions for setlists and markers for each song.. each marker was named as the song title so when the project opened it propagated the tablet with the titles on buttons and then it was just a matter of selecting whichever song to jump to.. at the top of the layout I had buttons for set1.. Set2.. set3.. set4 but you could have it so it showed all songs on one screen if you wanted.. i also had start/stop buttons and timeline counter, plus a few things controlling the mix like mute buttons etc.. the cool thing about an OSC layout is you can make it whatever you want..
EcBaPr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:17 AM   #9
dazastah
Human being with feelings
 
dazastah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk303 View Post
Where I'm stuck is using Song Select MIDI message that Bandhelper sends to Reaper. I can see the message arrives and has correct MIDI raw hex format $F3 XX 00.
But I can't assign it to any action since it's not the expected type, it expects MIDI controller messages, etc.
Any idea how to implement that Song Selecte message with song #3 goes to Region #3 ?
can band helper song select just send midi notes?
Can you change the type of midi message it sends ?
It would be easier if it can just send a midi note per song.
dazastah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 03:23 PM   #10
ivansc
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Cambridge UK and Near Questembert, France
Posts: 19,683
Default

I tried like crazy to find a decent android app along these lines & finally gave up. Bought an old used ipad air & have been running OnSong ever since. The only downside for me is that, as a fully paid up atheist, I find the endless banging on about worship fellowship and the rest of the god-bothering navy unnecessarily obtrusive. They already got my $25 how much more do they want?

But it does do an excellent job of taking care of everything from MIDI stuff (notes as well as DMX via MIDi, etc.) to setlists to enabling foot operated page-turners!
__________________
"What a dick comment. I'm gonna make sure to avoid your name." Dicks other than Trump can speak????
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 12:56 AM   #11
dazastah
Human being with feelings
 
dazastah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 114
Default

lol @ivansc .. Pretty much all tablet "backing track players" are involved somehow in worship .. playback , primeloops , etc .. I guess there's money to be made off gods word/songs .
dazastah is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.