Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 02-05-2020, 07:45 AM   #1
randall7
Human being with feelings

Default (SOLVED) Korg nanoKontrol Studio not recognized by Reaper

EDIT: Googled, and found this which is think is the problem and probably a solution. It seems to be a problem with Windows, and KORG, not Reaper, and this problem likely arose from a recent f&^cing Windows update:
https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-u...B-MIDI-device-
The video that solved this for me was this video:
https://youtu.be/18SLcnbqwaI

Basically, KORG needs its devices assigned to midi ports 0-9. If Windows sees your KORG device at a port above 9 then the KORG driver will not work with the device, and so of course Reaper will not detect the KORG device. I followed the video link above, changing several registry entries in Windows (I have Windows 10 x64 Home) and then rebooted and all is fixed now.

- - - - -
KORG nanoKontrol Studio mixer midi controller. It is not showing up in Reaper Preferences Audio>midi devices input, but it is showing up as a device in devices output. Windows 10 x64 devices shows it available as a device. I even uninstalled then reinstalled the driver for it. Its panel lights up like a xmas tree, like it always did, so it is connected to Windows 10 and shows as a device in Windows, just not in Reaper 6. How can I get Reaper to recognize this midi controller/mixer?

Last edited by randall7; 02-05-2020 at 10:41 AM. Reason: SOLVED !
randall7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 12:50 PM   #2
flowheimer

I was just about to start a new thread about this but I found this so I'll post here:

My Korg MicroKey 25 suddenly stopped working on one of my laptops and it was making me crazy. I tried uninstalling MicroKey entries in Device Manager, including hidden devices; I tried uninstalling and reinstalling my entire USB driver stack. Manually uninstalling the driver files. You name it.

It seemed like too specific a bug to Duck-Duck-Go but I finally got fed up and searched, and—go figure—it turns out that Windows 10 1909 borked something to do with MIDI. Korg issued a statement and a new driver in response. I installed it and everything's okay again

If you're having MIDI issues with a Korg device after a Windows 10 update this is probably why.
Old 02-11-2020, 02:10 PM   #3
randall7

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowheimer View Post
I was just about to start a new thread about this but I found this so I'll post here:

My Korg MicroKey 25 suddenly stopped working on one of my laptops and it was making me crazy. I tried uninstalling MicroKey entries in Device Manager, including hidden devices; I tried uninstalling and reinstalling my entire USB driver stack. Manually uninstalling the driver files. You name it.

It seemed like too specific a bug to Duck-Duck-Go but I finally got fed up and searched, and—go figure—it turns out that Windows 10 1909 borked something to do with MIDI. Korg issued a statement and a new driver in response. I installed it and everything's okay again

If you're having MIDI issues with a Korg device after a Windows 10 update this is probably why.
Very cool, good to know. I am going to see if I can find that updated Korg driver, because it is ridiculous that users should have to do multiple hacks in the low level Windows 10 registry to make a Korg midi device work.