Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 02-23-2020, 10:07 AM   #1
letsgetthisworking
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI tracks + external synth control & other MIDI questions

Howdy,

Back from the days when, as a young lad, I had Logic (on a WINDOWS PC! With Sound Blaster Live! & SoundFont 2 instruments...),
I faintly remember that, besides, obviously, musical notes, you could, in a MIDI track, also put all sorts of meta information, e.g. at the beginning, to set all sorts of parameters for an instrument to start with.

Now I have a DeepMind12 hardware synth connected to my PC.

If I now set up a MIDI track for it, it would be handy if that also would, on start, make the synth switch to the correct sound patch automatically.
How would I do that?

Of course, I'd like to use more than one sound from that synth.
So ultimately, I'll be setting up several MIDI tracks, and corresponding audio tracks to, at some point, "bake" the played-by-MIDI synth into a wave file, when I'm happy with all the settings.
This of course works only by one voice, or timbre / instrument, if you will, at a time. So I'd mute all but the one MIDI channel to record, and this would make the "patch loading" codes embedded in the other tracks not mess with the one that's due being recorded, right?
Or is there some sort of cleverer management facility for such scenarios?
I'm out of touch with DAWs 'n' stuff for over a decade.

Btw., I'm also using VST plugins and have an older Novation ReMote keyboard. I bought that for its many knobs and sliders, but initially rather for my extra-economical-UI DIY synth stuff - so I wouldn't have to build something with lots of knobs.

Are there good use cases (not necessarily for VST synths, but for anything in using Reaper that comes to mind) for a keyboard like that, maybe even readily made templates to download somewhere?
I also have a Roland A500(?) MIDI keyboard.

And also a Roland Jupiter 50 digital synth keyboard.
If there are any ways that I could make such devices work hand-in-hand with Reaper, beyond just sending MIDI notes to it (and receiving them), I'd appreciate any hints that come to mind.
I really have no idea what can be done these days to make life easier here and there by automation of some sort.
letsgetthisworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 10:22 AM   #2
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetthisworking View Post
Now I have a DeepMind12 hardware synth connected to my PC.

If I now set up a MIDI track for it, it would be handy if that also would, on start, make the synth switch to the correct sound patch automatically.
How would I do that?
I know nothing about the deepmind, but i'd be very surprised if it didn't respond to standard MIDI program change (PC) messages.
So just stick a PC message in your MIDI item, lots of different ways to do this, but i find it easy to do it via the event list of the MIDI editor.
domzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 10:29 AM   #3
DarkStar

Quote:
How would I do that?
The way to do this is to send MIDI Bank Select / Program Change messages to the synth before you send any MIDI notes. You can edit those events into a MIDI clip or use ReaControlMIDI. Either way, the first thing to do is build a .reaBank file for your synth, defining the bank and program numbers which select each sound.

For details, have a look in the User Guide for "reaBank", "ReaContorlMIDI" and "Program Change".

Quote:
Of course, I'd like to use more than one sound from that synth.
All you need to do is send different Bank Select / Program Change messages.

Quote:
So ultimately, I'll be setting up several MIDI tracks, and corresponding audio tracks to, at some point, "bake" the played-by-MIDI synth into a wave file, when I'm happy with all the settings.
OK, you'll need additional tracks set to Record the audio from the synth.

Quote:
This of course works only by one voice, or timbre / instrument, if you will, at a time. So I'd mute all but the one MIDI channel to record, and this would make the "patch loading" codes embedded in the other tracks not mess with the one that's due being recorded, right?
Correct. Depending on the synth you might be able to do multi-channel playing and recording. But, probably leave that for another day.

Quote:
Btw., I'm also using VST plugins and have an older Novation ReMote keyboard. ... Are there good use cases (not necessarily for VST synths, but for anything in using Reaper that comes to mind) for a keyboard like that, maybe even readily made templates to download somewhere?
Well, more flexibility. It is probably easier to position / play the Novation keyboard close to your computer rather than moving over to the synth and back again.

Quote:
If there are any ways that I could make such devices (other synths) work hand-in-hand with Reaper, beyond just sending MIDI notes to it (and receiving them), I'd appreciate any hints that come to mind.
Any audio from them can be recorded back into Reaper, for mixing, FXing etc

Quote:
I really have no idea what can be done these days to make life easier here and there by automation of some sort.
Loads
Old 02-23-2020, 02:14 PM   #4
letsgetthisworking

Thanks, I'll try those things!

Btw., is there a feature to put annotations somewhere over the tracks, like sticky notes? Maybe not so usual for a DAW, but it would be great
Old 03-01-2020, 09:14 AM   #5
letsgetthisworking

Default MIDI Editing - key customization?

In that user guide I saw some things about customizing key shortcuts, *keyboard* modifier keys that alter mouse actions, etc.

But can you also customize *mouse* controls for very basic actions?

For one thing, it's irritating that MIDI note selection happens with the right mouse button, contrary to what the rest of the world does, in any kind of software I ever used and am using, wrt the generic concept of item selection.
I don't think I even want to try to get used to that, then making me inefficient in other software due to confusion.
(only trying to explain why it is an issue)