Old 02-24-2020, 05:07 AM   #1
Whelfen
Human being with feelings
 
Whelfen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 8
Default Midi flame / tonal arp, midi note repeater

Hi!

Unfortunately, i cannot find a program that can do the following:

If you press a note, the notes repeat in the frequency of the note pitch.
It should work like a simple arp.
But it should work with either glide or pitch wheel.

So I only need the following parameters:
- pitch bend / pitch bend range
- octave
- note length (0-400%)
- maybe max. frequency

So the speed of the "arp" should follow the pressed key.

I think it's probably pretty simple, but I can't writing jsfx.
But maybe with your help, we can make it. Or do you know something that does just that?
Whelfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 04:16 PM   #2
Time Waster
Human being with feelings
 
Time Waster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bowral, Australia
Posts: 924
Default

A potential problem with this is that MIDI messages can only be sent out with the frequency rounded to the nearest sample. This might not be much of an issue at lower frequencies, but may become more of an issue at high frequencies. However, not sure exactly what you are trying to achieve. Can you be more specific?
__________________
ReaRack JSFX Modular Synth - Mostly harmless: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/28403/ReaR...dularSynth.zip
The Wasters of Time: https://soundcloud.com/thewastersoftime
Time Waster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 05:18 PM   #3
TonE
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Reaper HAS send control via midi !!!
Posts: 2,292
Default

Taking logarithm might lower the higher values?

Probably best would be taking an existing note repeater, then playing around there.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 07:55 AM   #4
Whelfen
Human being with feelings
 
Whelfen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Waster View Post
A potential problem with this is that MIDI messages can only be sent out with the frequency rounded to the nearest sample. This might not be much of an issue at lower frequencies, but may become more of an issue at high frequencies. However, not sure exactly what you are trying to achieve. Can you be more specific?
Ok, that's what I thought, also the CPU load would be much too high then, so the idea was the max. freq. slider. It doesn't have to be designed to work live. Direct bouncing here.

It has several targets:
- an advanced resonator with the ability for random copies (random per note) or other kind of automation
-> otherwise I could take a delay or feedback that would be sound rigid and equal, not what i want
- Bass enhancer, for excample a clack (with round robin samples) in the frequency of the bass note
- Creating downrolls or uprolls that ends on a specific note
- Percussion that gets faster and faster until it becomes a note and a melody can be created
- tonal granular things

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Taking logarithm might lower the higher values?

Probably best would be taking an existing note repeater, then playing around there.
Like I said, a limit is in order.

With an arp it's really difficult or impossible to get the right note.

Last edited by Whelfen; 02-27-2020 at 08:28 AM.
Whelfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 05:33 PM   #5
Time Waster
Human being with feelings
 
Time Waster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bowral, Australia
Posts: 924
Default

Rather than sending out MIDI notes, could you just sample the audio and repeat that? I've done something like this in ReaRack2 (see link below) with the Karplus-Strong Delay module (used for generating string sounds from a white noise seed). Probably not exactly what you are looking for, but might be a start.
__________________
ReaRack JSFX Modular Synth - Mostly harmless: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/28403/ReaR...dularSynth.zip
The Wasters of Time: https://soundcloud.com/thewastersoftime
Time Waster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 07:49 AM   #6
Whelfen
Human being with feelings
 
Whelfen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Waster View Post
Rather than sending out MIDI notes, could you just sample the audio and repeat that? I've done something like this in ReaRack2 (see link below) with the Karplus-Strong Delay module (used for generating string sounds from a white noise seed). Probably not exactly what you are looking for, but might be a start.
Thank you for the tip, it's good to know to have a resonator ;-)!
But yes, not that what i'm looking for. I need the freedom of note changes during reptition and automation of the speed/freq.

Well, maybe I'll have time to write something myself someday, but I just can't understand the JSFX manual. It's a reference or an overview, nothing more. Admiral bumblebee tutorial is good too, but how do I go on? I can't find any nice book, wiki or complete tutorial collection about JSFX, so even an idiot like me would understand :-P.
LUA on the other hand is simple and I find all the information I need about it.
Whelfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 04:22 PM   #7
preferred.nomenclature
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 361
Default

> LUA on the other hand is simple and I find all the information I need about it.

You may want to have a look at https://www.osar.fr/protoplug/ in that case
preferred.nomenclature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 06:19 AM   #8
Time Waster
Human being with feelings
 
Time Waster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bowral, Australia
Posts: 924
Default

I had a bit of a go at this as an experiment. There is a JSFX in the stash here - https://stash.reaper.fm/v/38471/Note...dRepeater.jsfx

This JSFX repeats a note at the note's frequency. Adjustable tuning. Repeat frequency can be modulated with pitchbend or CC messages. Will continue repeating while the note is held down. Sends a lot of data and can get overloaded, so maybe not very useful.

It doesn't have adjustable note length as requested by the OP. 400% is not possible in any case, because a note-off has to be sent before each new note-on, so in this JSFX the note length is set at 100%.
__________________
ReaRack JSFX Modular Synth - Mostly harmless: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/28403/ReaR...dularSynth.zip
The Wasters of Time: https://soundcloud.com/thewastersoftime
Time Waster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 11:38 AM   #9
Whelfen
Human being with feelings
 
Whelfen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Waster View Post
I had a bit of a go at this as an experiment. There is a JSFX in the stash here - https://stash.reaper.fm/v/38471/Note...dRepeater.jsfx

This JSFX repeats a note at the note's frequency. Adjustable tuning. Repeat frequency can be modulated with pitchbend or CC messages. Will continue repeating while the note is held down. Sends a lot of data and can get overloaded, so maybe not very useful.

It doesn't have adjustable note length as requested by the OP. 400% is not possible in any case, because a note-off has to be sent before each new note-on, so in this JSFX the note length is set at 100%.
Wow, Time Waster!!!! That's genius! Thank you a thousand times !
You can automate the note length in the plugin, but I'm absolutely thrilled! Haha, I'm having a lot of fun right now! Great so nice, thank you!
Whelfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 02:36 PM   #10
Whelfen
Human being with feelings
 
Whelfen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 8
Default

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3cn5uodpem...eater.mp3?dl=1

Only a simple test. The attack is a liddle to hard if you increase the pitch modulation range, but somtimes it sounds nice! And if I see it right, there's no note end send to the plugin, but that might not be that bad.

Wow, you can make realy nice granular things, FX and so on, so nice!!!
Whelfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 06:29 PM   #11
Time Waster
Human being with feelings
 
Time Waster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bowral, Australia
Posts: 924
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whelfen View Post

And if I see it right, there's no note end send to the plugin, but that might not be that bad.
The note-off should be passed through, but I'll check this later and post an update.
__________________
ReaRack JSFX Modular Synth - Mostly harmless: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/28403/ReaR...dularSynth.zip
The Wasters of Time: https://soundcloud.com/thewastersoftime
Time Waster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 06:52 PM   #12
Time Waster
Human being with feelings
 
Time Waster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bowral, Australia
Posts: 924
Default

I just ran some quick tests using ReaControlMIDI to monitor the output and it was always finishing with a note-off, so should be OK.
__________________
ReaRack JSFX Modular Synth - Mostly harmless: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/28403/ReaR...dularSynth.zip
The Wasters of Time: https://soundcloud.com/thewastersoftime
Time Waster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 04:16 AM   #13
Whelfen
Human being with feelings
 
Whelfen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Waster View Post
I just ran some quick tests using ReaControlMIDI to monitor the output and it was always finishing with a note-off, so should be OK.
Ok, hm, maybe the plugin reacts too slow, I'll try it again at home with others plugs. Thank you !
Whelfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 01:49 AM   #14
TonE
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Reaper HAS send control via midi !!!
Posts: 2,292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whelfen View Post
And if I see it right, there's no note end send to the plugin, but that might not be that bad.
pizmidi midiConverter3 can convert any midi event to any other, experiment and you should even get note off addition.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.