Old 02-26-2020, 07:47 PM   #1
g4greg
Human being with feelings

Default Our second song on the EP.. Does it sound better?

Thanks again guys for all your input on our first song.

I tried to mix it correctly the first time around... Even though the bass will be redone by a real bass player soon, as my bass playing skills are.. well.. Abysmal.

This is pearl, A song about wanting to trying to break out of your shell while secretly wanting to never have broken out of your womb.

As this one is our newest one, I'm very fond of it lyrically and vocal wise, but how does it sound for you guys?

Anything that should be done differently?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qA...EkKrCljlt_CPH1

cheers,
Greg.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:22 AM   #2
martifingers

Hi. I really like this. Great dynamics, fine detailing, impassioned performance and some lovely touches.

Sounded like you knew what you were doing and the mix sounded just fine to me except that in the first half or so I thought I could detect some excess sibilance on the female vocals? I am nitpicking and it might be just me so definitely get a second opinion.
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 06:32 AM   #3
g4greg

Thanks! That's the kind of stuff I need

I'll crank that de-esser up a Hair.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:45 AM   #4
SoundGuyDave

Nice! I agree with the sibilance in the upper-mids, but I wouldn't mind hearing a bit more "air" on the female vocal at the same time. I know I'll sound like a broken record, but rather than a set-and-forget de-esser, you might just try automating an EQ to nip the few little objectionable bits in the bud, then add a nice 12k high-shelf.

Other than that, I think it's pretty good! Instrument tonality is good, the blend is good. If I had a wish, it would be for a bit more "cut" on the percussion. A little dash of 1k6 might bring out the attack without needing to push the levels.
SoundGuyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 07:13 PM   #5
g4greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundGuyDave View Post
Nice! I agree with the sibilance in the upper-mids, but I wouldn't mind hearing a bit more "air" on the female vocal at the same time. I know I'll sound like a broken record, but rather than a set-and-forget de-esser, you might just try automating an EQ to nip the few little objectionable bits in the bud, then add a nice 12k high-shelf.

Other than that, I think it's pretty good! Instrument tonality is good, the blend is good. If I had a wish, it would be for a bit more "cut" on the percussion. A little dash of 1k6 might bring out the attack without needing to push the levels.
Yeah.. I could do it manually. But seriously, the new smart de-essers out there actually work better than automation IMHO. Sibalance is a monster, and it's cheap.

Aaaanyhow, I could crank the 5000khz (that's the "air").. But It's a very thin line between an "airy" vocal, and a harsh sounding one. I made that mistake in the previous song of this album. I'll see what I can do though.

Yeah, I could mess with the percussion a bit. Thanks for the tip
Old 02-28-2020, 10:15 PM   #6
SoundGuyDave

If you've got a plug that works for you, cool! I still like de-essing via automation, since you can grab more than most de-essers will allow... Once you dial in the freq,, gain rides are a piece of cake to add in, even if it's just a single instance of a 250Hz resonance on one note. Also, to me, "air" is up past 10kHz. 5kHz is upper-mid band, and can be a hot spot, vocally, particularly with female vocals, for whatever reason. If you've got a Pultec plug, give that a try, with the HF boosting "2" (or to taste) at either 10 or 12kHz for that airy, sizzle that doesn't get in the way of much else. I would put that either first, or most likely last in the chain.
SoundGuyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 12:02 AM   #7
g4greg

I can definitely crank it past 10kz.. I've got old ears though, so I might overdo it.. I'll give it a shot

Thanks for the advice