Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 02-21-2020, 11:08 AM   #1
Vagelis
Human being with feelings

Default Please add media item edge-bottom half and loop divider notch contexts

Now that we have the new modifier for adjusting the start/end loop, (huge thanks for that!), it would be really useful if we had a media item edge bottom half context when we drag the edge to adjust the loop and another context for the loop divider notch. Because now in order to use all of the actions from the edge e.g move edge, stretch and adjust loop, together with ignoring snap, we have to assign more than one key modifiers, which is not very handy...
So i believe a way to simplify this is to have a bottom half context for media item edge and another context for loop divider notch in order to split these actions.

Last edited by Vagelis; 02-21-2020 at 12:26 PM.
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:55 PM   #2
n997

+1 to mouse modifiers for media item edge bottom half, and for loop divider notch.
n997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 03:50 AM   #3
Vagelis

Amen! I thought i was the only one who finds this useful.
I believe when more users will start using the new modifiers, they will notice that having so many actions like stretch, adjust loop,move edge + ignoring snap just from one conext is not useful at all.
It would be more consistent to use the same key modifiers for each of them e.g shift for stretch, adjust loop, notch divider, and e.g shift+alt for ingnoring snap.
And this could be done only if we have more contexts.
Old 04-19-2020, 06:16 AM   #4
Vagelis

Friendly bump!
Old 04-19-2020, 07:43 AM   #5
deeb

Friendly + 1 ! Now seriously yes
Old 03-27-2021, 03:15 PM   #6
Vagelis

Bump for the sake of simplicity!
Old 05-26-2021, 05:20 AM   #7
Vagelis

Bump-licious!

Media item edge bottom half context would be extremely useful to assign adjust loop/ignoring snap or split all the behaviors between top and bottom context, which woul make life easier with less key modifiers
It's the best way we can loop or stutter audio and it's not useful when we have to press a bunch of different key modifiers to use all of the behaviors.

There's been a long time since adjust loop was introduced and still without a media edge bottom half context it's hard to use it and i think it's been buried and unused by many users for that reason..

The same thing goes for loop divider, we should be able to drag it from it's own context so we can use it with ignoring snap too or for any other additions in the future.

Please devs!
Old 05-26-2021, 06:37 AM   #8
Vagelis

I d like to add an example because this is not just related with stuttering an audio or moving their positions from the divider notch..
Also i ve seen in the forum many users are not aware of this, they just turn on/off the loop with an action, which is not the best method..

Having the adjust loop for top edge context, we could use it as the default behavior for just extend the item's edge without looping the item. This will speed up the workflow for many cases where we don't want to loop the item each time we drag the edge or when we glue it.
Just to add here, this method could make even more sense when we have a looped item and the adjust start/end modifier wouldn't move the looped sections positions and change the length of the item when we drag from the edge, but instead it would be nice if this behavior was as a separate mouse modifier so we can apply this behavior independently.

On the other hand after adjusting the item's top edge and we want to loop that length, we could easily drag the bottom edge from the item.

So this is not just related for stuttering or repeating the audio, but could also improve some of the basic editing.

Last edited by Vagelis; 05-26-2021 at 06:53 AM.
Old 10-11-2021, 10:27 AM   #9
jmp909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
On the other hand after adjusting the item's top edge and we want to loop that length, we could easily drag the bottom edge from the item
I agree. For me, for MIDI items the ideal situation would be either:

A) loop by dragging the bottom right corner (top right does crossfade, middle does normal extend)

or

B) loop is done by holding down eg CTRL or SHIFT
jmp909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 08:25 AM   #10
MonkeyBars

notch +1!
MonkeyBars is offline   Reply With Quote