Old 02-07-2020, 07:41 PM   #1
toleolu
Human being with feelings

Default Mix suggestions

Something I have been playing around with for a bit. Just MT Drum Kit and some guitars and a bass, Ignite Amps amps on the bass and guitars, and then a little EQ and compression. Please keep in mind I only have the basic Reaper plugins.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f50l6tzwb5...Minor.wav?dl=0

Thanks
toleolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:48 PM   #2
dug dog

Cool.
Second impression: I'd like to hear a bit more authority on the snare. I'm not sure what I'd use without playing with it but maybe just louder or EQ boost 1.5-2K? Hi shelf? Maybe a bit of attack added with transient designer. (Do you have the JS based Transpire?)
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 08:06 PM   #3
toleolu

Thanks.

No, I'm not seeing the plugin you mentioned, but I did bump up the the EQ on the snare a little bit in the range you suggested.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q5922kspx9...inor1.wav?dl=0
Old 02-08-2020, 08:04 AM   #4
sammydix

Smooth, laid back groove. I think the drums as a whole could have more life. They just sound "there," but lacking some 'excitement' for lack of a better word. The lead guitar is clear, but the rhythm sounds slightly indistinct from a bit too much in its lower end (not the high pass type, but more the lower mids type).
sammydix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 08:12 AM   #5
dug dog

Sonic Anomaly has a bunch of cool JS based plugs. (I'm not saying Transpire is the magic bullet in this case, btw.)

https://github.com/Sonic-Anomaly/Son...master/Plugins

As for the snare, EQ, I think it sounds better but still lacking something. (Not sure exactly what, though, sorry.)
Old 02-08-2020, 08:47 AM   #6
toleolu

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammydix View Post
Smooth, laid back groove. I think the drums as a whole could have more life. They just sound "there," but lacking some 'excitement' for lack of a better word. The lead guitar is clear, but the rhythm sounds slightly indistinct from a bit too much in its lower end (not the high pass type, but more the lower mids type).
Thanks Sammy. I've got two different guitars on the rhythm tracks, a PRS and a Strat. When I record my rhythm tracks I typically record them twice, then I'll pan each track a little left and right respectively. I try to set the rhythm tracks to where they're audible in the mix but not really in your face to so speak.

With respect to the low end on those tracks, I run into that a lot, think it might have something to do with my hearing, I would typically go into the EQ and tweak that low end there. I'll give that a shot on those rhythm tracks to see what that does, unless you think there might be something else I can look at to accomplish that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug dog View Post
Sonic Anomaly has a bunch of cool JS based plugs. (I'm not saying Transpire is the magic bullet in this case, btw.)

https://github.com/Sonic-Anomaly/Son...master/Plugins

As for the snare, EQ, I think it sounds better but still lacking something. (Not sure exactly what, though, sorry.)
I'll check into those plugins.

When I record my guitars, I typically rely on guitar, pedal board, and amp setting to get the sound that I want. I have no doubt that my recordings would benefit greatly from my better understanding how to use plugins, but I must confess, I get a little confused when using them because I haven't really spent the time to try to understand how they work.

As far as the drums go, I've always struggled with that for the same reason I mentioned above. I will typically use the Reaper presets in ReaEQ and ReaComp for the different drums, cymbals, etc. but once again I struggle a bit from not really understanding how to mix drums all that well.

Probably need to spend some time looking at some You Tube videos on how to mix drums.

I've got that project up on Reaper, I'll play around a bit and post what I come up with.

Really appreciate the help.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:55 AM   #7
dug dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by toleolu View Post
Probably need to spend some time looking at some You Tube videos on how to mix drums.

It's been a while since I used those MT Power drums but, as I recall, they were pretty heavily processed right out of the box and you may not need to do much to them at all. (My memory isn't that great, tho. LOL.)
Old 02-08-2020, 09:16 AM   #8
dug dog

So, I found out that i DO still have that drum VST on my system and I gave it a quick spin. I would say that they ARE, in fact, quite processed already.

So, throwing Reacomp on the snare, for example, and using one of the supplied snare presets may be doing more harm than good. Just for fun, why not try the drums without any additional processing?
Old 02-08-2020, 09:26 AM   #9
toleolu

Is this getting any closer?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gsfqcz4v3j...inor2.wav?dl=0
Old 02-08-2020, 09:30 AM   #10
sammydix

The rhythm guitars sound much cleaner on this one.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:42 AM   #11
toleolu

Quote:
So, I found out that i DO still have that drum VST on my system and I gave it a quick spin. I would say that they ARE, in fact, quite processed already.

So, throwing Reacomp on the snare, for example, and using one of the supplied snare presets may be doing more harm than good. Just for fun, why not try the drums without any additional processing?
All effects removed from the drums and the compressors turned of in the MT mixer.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2723c642xu...inor3.wav?dl=0
Old 02-08-2020, 09:45 AM   #12
toleolu

Quote:
The rhythm guitars sound much cleaner on this one.
Thanks.

To my ears, it sounds a bit bright for lack of a better term, but I did spend 2 years working on and aircraft carrier flight deck so that might have something to do with it.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:10 AM   #13
dug dog

I don't have the original for comparison but I'm pretty sure the drums sound much better.
Cool song.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:17 AM   #14
toleolu

Quote:
I don't have the original for comparison but I'm pretty sure the drums sound much better.
Cool song.
If you're referring to the original mix, it's in the first post.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:33 AM   #15
toleolu

I was watching this video:

At about 13 minutes in he talks about routing all the drum tracks to a bus, which is basically what I have with the MT drum kit, all the individual tracks routed to track 1, the track with the MT Drum Kit plugin.

I can add effects to track 1 but the slider on track 1 never has worked as far as adjusting the output level.

Is that the way MT is supposed to work, or have I missed something in the setup of that plugin?

Thanks
Old 02-08-2020, 01:55 PM   #16
toleolu

I don't know if I'm making any progress, but I think this sounds a little better.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ftxv3hnwv3...inor4.wav?dl=0
Old 02-08-2020, 02:48 PM   #17
sammydix

Compared to version 1, it sounds like you lifted off a woolen blanket. What'd you end up changing?

Last edited by sammydix; 02-08-2020 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-08-2020, 03:06 PM   #18
toleolu

Quote:
Compare the version 1, it sounds like you lifted off a woolen blanket. What'd you end up changing?
Just pretty much did what you and dug dog suggested. Really appreciate your help.

Removed all the effects from the drum tracks, tweaked the levels a bit in the MT Drum Kit mixer, and then just tweaked the EQ on the rhythm tracks to make them a bit brighter. I don't know if brighter is the correct term, I just kind of rolled the low end off a bit more and boosted some of the mid to higher range frequencies.

Almost forgot, after adjusting the levels in the MT mixer I had to adjust the levels a bit on the bass and other guitars as well.

Last edited by toleolu; 02-08-2020 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-08-2020, 03:14 PM   #19
toleolu

Quote:
Cool song.
Thanks for your help.
Old 02-09-2020, 04:46 AM   #20
synkrotron

I listened to V2 and V5 and I can definitely hear improvements with respect to the percussion.

Nice guitar work
Old 02-09-2020, 05:59 AM   #21
toleolu

Quote:
Originally Posted by synkrotron View Post
I listened to V2 and V5 and I can definitely hear improvements with respect to the percussion.

Nice guitar work
Thanks Synk, that means a lot coming from you, much appreciated.