Old 02-18-2020, 02:53 AM   #1
DevonPT
Human being with feelings

Default No Sound, etc.

Hi All
Iím early on my reaper and music production journey, trying to create some song demos of my own songs.

I wonder if you can help. Iím sure there are logical explanations for everything.

Following advice from here, Iíve got ASIO4ALL set up so I can use my blue ice snowball mic and a focusrite audio interface.

A general thing I seem to notice is that randomly, repear just wonít give me sound, until I try again several times.. maybe it needs to be restarted with all hardware attached before it will work.. is that a thing?

Also, once I have opened repear I canít listen to any videos on youtube.. the sound coming from other apps (e.g. firefox) seems to be disabled. Any way around that.

Also, right now I am trying to develop a drum track using MTPowerDrums. Iíve got the beginnings of a track on the project, and I have listened to it, on Sunday, just though the speakers on my desk, plugging straight into my laptop. At this time I had to set the devices in ASIO4ALL to include my soundcard(?), but I have not changed any settings since, yet there is no sound. I also see no sound on the meters, even tough the track is there and you can see all the midi information. Any ideas on what obvious thing I am missing?

Thanks

Paul
DevonPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 05:21 AM   #2
DevonPT

I've now noticed that now that I have unmuted the click track, that is playing, showing in the meters an I can hear it.. it is just the drum track that I cant hear. It is not muted.. it is turned up.. I just can't see wht the issue is. I am going to create a new drum track just to see if it still happens then.
Old 02-18-2020, 05:41 AM   #3
DevonPT

Yeah, after some initial wierd behaviour (for no apparent reason), the (startings of a) new drum track works fine, but I cannot hear the old one. All the settings that I can see seem to be the same, but I don't know if I am checking all the settings that I should. I wonder if somehow although reaper has my existing track midi information, it doesn't know that it should play it using the sounds on the MTPowerDrumKit...
Old 02-18-2020, 05:50 AM   #4
DevonPT

hmm. seem to have addressed this one. I needed to press the FX button on the track, and select the only thing that was there, and that already seemed to be selected.. the MT PowerKit. Then the kit window opened up, and it worked.. mental!
Old 02-18-2020, 06:31 AM   #5
martmix

if you have a focusrite audio interface,you dont need ASIO4ALL

you just use ASIO driver in preference-device
martmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 07:34 AM   #6
Stella645

They do need ASIO4all to use multiple devices which is what they're trying to do.(Focusrite as output and USB mic as input)

re listening other audio while Reaper is open: In prefs audio you can set Reaper to close the audio device when inactive and then listen YT or whatever when the browser is in focus but with ASIO4all you won't hear both at once.

With the Focusrite ASIO driver, match sample rate of Windows and Reaper and you might be able to hear both together.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 07:02 PM   #7
EpixZC

Hello. I'm a newbie as well and having a "no Sound" problem.

See attached image. When pressing the keyboard I can see activity, but no sound. I can record using the mic.

I also installed ASIO4ALL. Any suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reaper-ns4.jpg (50.8 KB, 13 views)
EpixZC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 07:14 PM   #8
dug dog

Lots going on here but, one thing to watch for if you are using the "free", unregistered version of MT drum- you have to click an activation thingy in the bottom right corner every time you open the project. The button is "SKIP".
dug dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 07:54 AM   #9
Stella645

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpixZC View Post
Hello. I'm a newbie as well and having a "no Sound" problem.

See attached image. When pressing the keyboard I can see activity, but no sound. I can record using the mic.

I also installed ASIO4ALL. Any suggestions?
Have you loaded any instrument to make a sound??
Old 02-19-2020, 02:56 PM   #10
DevonPT

Hi All
Thanks for the comments...

-I've installed ASIO4ALL because I was advised to do it when I was having latency issues when I was recording through the only mic I have, a Blue Ice Snowball thingy.
-I've tried selecting alternatives now.. just selecting ASIO and then tried both of what seemed like relevant sub options: Focusrite USB ASIO or Focusrite Thunderbolt ASIO.
I tried them both and in both cases I get "error opening devices.. there was asan error opening the audio hardwarde: Error initialising ASIO driver." This happens whether I connect the focusrite before starting reaper, or the otherway around.

Absolutely right about the issue with MT drums, you have to press "skip" to get the thing to connect and work.. took me a while to spot that.. I wonder what problems that might present to me in the future (which might force me to make a payment to someone!)
Old 02-21-2020, 08:47 PM   #11
EpixZC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
Have you loaded any instrument to make a sound??
Hello. First, apologies to the person that started the "no sound" thread. I thought it would be easier to add on to it as I am having a sound problem, instead of creating a new thread.

I did add instruments. See attached screenshot. VSTI Reasampl; VSTI ReaSynDR; VSTI ReaSynth. I can see the sound bars moving when I hit keys, but I cannot hear anything.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reaper-instr.jpg (34.8 KB, 8 views)
EpixZC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 05:37 AM   #12
Stella645

Record monitoring needs to be enabled to hear while you play....did you do this too?

Your first screencap shows a track with no instrument loaded, record not enabled and I'm guessing record monitor also not enabled (though this is hidden). SO I would not expect any sound from this track.