Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2020, 07:41 PM   #1
prepro
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 9
Default Reaper audio playback glitching when limiter placed on sub-master bus

I recently isolated a persistent audio glitching issue that I have been experiencing over the last year during playback on Reaper projects.

I use Reaper for audio post production. During my re-recording mixes on a number of TV series, I noted that Reaper was experiencing buffer-style playback glitches as I neared the end of my mix of each episode. The Reaper Performance Meter has always reported relatively minor CPU usage (<25%), so I was quite confused.

On my last mix I began experiencing the same issue, but luckily I noticed that the issue ceased when I disabled a limiter on a bus within the project. The bus in question I label: sub-master. I use it like a master bus for all audio in my project (i.e. dialog, Foley/SFX, score, soundtrack, etc.) with the exception of a track containing the -20 dBfs reference tone and the 2-pop, which need to pass through to the actual master bus unprocessed by plugins that reside on my sub-master.

My sub master contains a compressor followed by a limiter and then finally a gain plug-in. The limiter that I typically use is the Waves L3-LL Ultra Stereo limiter. When this limiter is active on the sub-master, I experience audio playback glitching. When I disable the limiter, the glitching ceases and audio playback is error-free. While troubleshooting I also swapped-out the Waves limiter for other limiters by Izotope and Slate Digital. Once again, each time one of these limiters was active, I experienced audio playback glitching.

Next, I tried moving the sub-master plug-in chain to the actual Reaper master track and experienced no audio playback issues. On a hunch, I replaced all busses in my project with folder tracks (but an otherwise identical routing structure) and the audio playback glitching ceased. I can use a limiter on a folder track sub-master with no issues whatsoever.

So it appears that the playback issue is specific to a buffering issue when a limiter is placed on the sub-master. Using folder tracks is an acceptable workaround for me, but I wanted to report this behaviour as is certainly seems unusual, creating an almost unworkable situation if one needs to process all audio in a project through a single bus prior to the master bus. I'm pretty sure it is a bug.

I look forward to any responses/insight.


LAPTOP SPECS

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)
Processor: 2.9 GHz Intel Core i9
Memory: 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Storage: 1 TB APPLE SSD
Graphics: Radeon Pro Vega 16 4080 MB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
macOS Mojave 10.14.6



CURRENT PROJECT SPECS

VIDEO
Length: 44:32.704
Video: 1920x1080@23.98fps, Aspect=1.00, Decoding format=RGB


Using VLC decoder (v3.0.x)
Video: 1920x1080, h264, 23.98fps

AUDIO
48 kHz, 24-bit

I am using REAPER 6.04/64
prepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.