Old 04-02-2024, 05:52 AM   #401
ArKaDaTa
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurelien View Post
Really interesting ! To be honest, i'm not using the extension because of the hassle of choosing and creating icons, even having a limited number of chars for the action name would be very nice.
Also, you can still have the full name within the center of the pie even with character limitation.
And with small icon + text you may be able to write less text since the small icon can also convey important information (even thought we go back to the root of the icon problem with search and design, but less so).

The user is responsible for determining text lengths and the number of buttons. If a text menu requires more nesting or more concise titles, I believe it's up to the user to work within these limitations, despite Sexan's efforts to address many of the challenges users may encounter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexan View Post
Will have something today to play around with, its not exact same experience as normal pie angle select but its close as it can get for this style (needs a bit of brain adjusting)
It'll be great to have it on hand to test it and give feedback.
Thanks a lot Sexan

Last edited by ArKaDaTa; 04-02-2024 at 06:30 AM.
ArKaDaTa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 12:06 PM   #402
Sexan

Code:
-- @version 0.34.00
-- @changelog
--  Added Button Text style

Pie style can be changed in Settings (MODERN/BUTTON TEXT)

This is WIP so its semi-ugly, things might be broken somewhere, there is no icon support for it yet but can do I hope everything normal style does. Made a selecting code to be 99.9% normal pie menu feel. But since this is not shared but totally new logic some things may be broken so test

I won't be prettifying it until it works like MODERN/NORMAL menu...

EDIT: IF YOU DONT SEE YOUR PIE AFTER THIS UPDATE, GO TO SETTINGS AND CHOOSE PIE STYLE (SORRY FOR YELLING)

Last edited by Sexan; 04-02-2024 at 02:31 PM.
Sexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 02:15 PM   #403
L33t4e

Can you make it default to the Modern selection for Pie? Reason I ask is because when I updated, I thought all my menus were gone or broken even though they were listed in the setup. It wasn't until I selected Modern or Text that all the menus came back.
L33t4e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 02:30 PM   #404
Sexan

Yeah I saw that bug. Its set to MODERN not sure what went wrong. Anyway pushed few updates and one of them fixes it (hopefully)

Code:
-- version 0.34.01
-- changelog
--  Fix Text Button style selecting button while opening/closing new menu

-- version 0.34.02
-- changelog
--  Check nil on loading default style

-- version 0.34.03
-- changelog
--  Prettify Text Buttons style
--  Style Text Buttons add Icon support
Old 04-02-2024, 04:21 PM   #405
ArKaDaTa

Trying it out right now, it seems to work well with a lot of nesting (to avoid massive menus) and with a small radius size for the pie.

You do lose central text information with such a small radius tho, it's hard to find a perfect solution anyway, but since we have full text on buttons it's alright.

It was a bit disconcerting at first with a big radius since all the options were really far apart, which may not be the strong suit of such a display. But I've got a good feeling about this after these few adjustments.

Going to test this thoroughly, thanks a lot Sexan.

Last edited by ArKaDaTa; 04-02-2024 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-02-2024, 07:37 PM   #406
ArKaDaTa

Had some thoughts while in the process of testing and creating many menus and sub-menus.
You'll probably already have such features in mind, but I did a few mockups for improving the workflow/organization within the Pie XYZ 3000 Setup (using my theme assets for the sake of quick iteration, so don't pay much attention to the style of my elements).

Menu Editor

Access to Core/Context Menus
I think you should have access to the core/context menus from within the Menu Editor (can only access from Pie currently).
I was trying to edit my menus and their hierarchy within the Menu Editor, it may not be the preferred workflow for Hierarchy editing, but I still think it shouldn't be missing from this view.

Folders in Menu Editor
Given that the Menu Editor is just a database of menus you can pick from, with a number of menus that can quickly increase, it'd be great to have the ability to have folders within the Menu Editor for better organization.

Menu Title
I think it'd be nice to have the selected menu's title somewhere in a big font. Since the Pie center change dynamically depending on what's being hovered, it's not enough. Also, with a small radius you generally can't see text in the pie center.

Pie / Pie Hierarchy

Pie Hierarchy Menu
Concept for a different way to view and manipulate the Pie Hierarchy for each context.

Taking inspiration from Wwise's project explorers, I think it could be neat to have the List of menus and the Menu Hierarchy next to each other to just drag and drop Menus into the Menu Hierarchy to build the Pie. It'd be another way to build the Pie without having to go back and forth between Pie's menu/submenu, while allowing a more 'macro' visualization and navigation of everything, and Pie navigation would still be perfect for precise adjustments, actions, properties, etc...

I combined both below, maybe I should have inverted them horizontally for consistency with the Menu Editor, that way Menus List would always be far left, while Actions would remain alone in the bottom right.

Mostly just food for thoughts, I think the feedback/concepts regarding the Menu Editor are easier to implement and more useful overall but I'm curious about your opinion on this kind of display/workflow for the Pie Hierarchy.

Hope this will help in some ways, keep up the great work Sexan. The workflow within the Pie Setup is already fantastic as it is, especially Actions ease of access / drag&drop.

Last edited by ArKaDaTa; 04-02-2024 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-02-2024, 07:59 PM   #407
ArKaDaTa

Few other smaller things regarding the Pie Setup Menu

The ability to copy/paste colors using hex codes to ensure consistency across button styles / Facilitate copying/pasting icon references, though it's less critical.

One way to achieve the previous two would be to implement shortcuts (CTRL+C for copy and CTRL+SHIFT/ALT+V for style paste (common within Photoshop/Affinity products) or a right-click menu for style duplication.

New setting to globally set radius "limits" or auto-adjust the radius to ensure elements are neither too spread out nor too crowded. Could definitely help out the new Text Buttons display style and potentially benefit the Modern display as well.

Last edited by ArKaDaTa; 04-02-2024 at 10:02 PM.
Old 04-03-2024, 06:05 AM   #408
Alez156

I absolutely love these new text buttons!!!!
Old 04-03-2024, 08:57 AM   #409
alex64

I use a generic mouse with extra buttons in Reaper while running Linux. It might seem unrelated, but when I attempt to utilize these extra buttons in Reaper to select an action from the regular action list, it simply doesn't allow me to do so. It's as if the extra buttons don't exist with Reaper.

Interestingly, though, when it comes to Pie3000 actions list, I can select them without any issues. The extra buttons appear as MouseX1 and MouseX2.

Do you have any idea why this might be happening? In fact, I'd like to use one of these extra buttons to initiate Pie3000.
Thanks
alex64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 09:07 AM   #410
cfillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex64 View Post
when I attempt to utilize these extra buttons in Reaper to select an action from the regular action list, it simply doesn't allow me to do so. It's as if the extra buttons don't exist with Reaper.

Interestingly, though, when it comes to Pie3000 actions list, I can select them without any issues. The extra buttons appear as MouseX1 and MouseX2.

Do you have any idea why this might be happening?
That's because REAPER does not implement support for mouse buttons 4 & 5 on Linux, but ReaImGui does.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 11:44 AM   #411
Sexan

Code:
-- @version 0.34.04
-- @changelog
--  Style Text fixed detection logic for uneven button number
--  Style Text Buttons calculate font color from bg luminosity
--  Style Text Buttons Add Shortcuts preview
--  Style Text Buttons added click/confirm highlight
--  Style Text Buttons reduced outer radius a bit for button start positions
--  Style Text Fixed Drag and drop swap 
--  Style Text Added menu indicator (Credits ArKaDaTa for idea)
--  Style Text Added selection hover
--  Keyboard shortcuts preview bluish color and darker background
--  Expose color picker inputs
Mostly new style specific updates to make it on pair with modern style

Last edited by Sexan; 04-03-2024 at 12:45 PM.
Old 04-03-2024, 12:06 PM   #412
Digitt

this is AMAZING thank you soooooo much!!!! There is a radial menu script i tried before but this is miles better, especially loving the icons that make it so easy to add and visually it looks beautiful, the menu setup is so easy too, just absolutely mazing thank you so much!

is there a way to have this be done with right click in place of me using right click menus? or better yet: to have right click menu still available if i hold down a key and right click, but have this still be with normal right click?
Digitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 12:11 PM   #413
Sexan

Unfortunatly no without extreme hacks that will interfere with normal reaper workflow
Old 04-03-2024, 12:23 PM   #414
Vagelis

Amazing, love it!
Vagelis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 01:51 PM   #415
alex64

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfillion View Post
That's because REAPER does not implement support for mouse buttons 4 & 5 on Linux, but ReaImGui does.
Understood. I hope Reaper will correct that. Multi-button mice are ubiquitous.
Thanks
alex64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 02:52 PM   #416
Netchicks

Amazing stuff!

Is it possible for the "Select thing under mouse" setting to be context sensitive? When opening up the PIE menu for an envelope context I'd love the envelope to be selected automatically. Same thing for tracks under mouse when opening PIE in the MCP. I don't want new things to be selected in the track context and especially not for the item context.
Netchicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 02:13 AM   #417
Digitt

Quote:
Unfortunatly no without extreme hacks that will interfere with normal reaper workflow
ok thank you i actually found a workaround. I'm on mac so I use bettertouchtool (https://folivora.ai) which is an app that can automate stuff on mac with hotkeys etc. I made it that when reaper is being used, I can right click and it will press a hotkey. I assigned that hotkey to pie3000.

It works and the right click menu on reaper doesn't open up, so it essentially "overrides" it.

The only problem is, I can't open and immediately close the radial menu. If I right click twice, it doesnt open and then close. It opens, then only after 5 seconds or so of right clicking, it finally closes.

It closes instantly though if i choose an option and click it. I'm talking about if I right click and decide I don't want to use any of the options in the radial menu (ie cancel it).

for my settings: i've got hold key to open/close disabled. and close script when action is clicked enabled.

I might change it to hold key to open/close enabled. but bettertouchtool doesn't hold down the hotkey I assigned when i right click, it just presses it. But i'll contact the dev for bettertouchtool and see if its possible there. if it is, then this could work for me

Is there some sort of timer on it that can be changed so that it can instantly be opened and closed?

FR: clicking on the circle in the middle to close would be quite intuitive i feel.

Last edited by Digitt; 04-04-2024 at 02:18 AM.
Old 04-04-2024, 03:53 AM   #418
ArKaDaTa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitt View Post
FR: clicking on the circle in the middle to close would be quite intuitive i feel.
When you're within a menu, clicking the circle will move back to parent menu currently, if I correctly understood what you mean I think it's hard for theses 2 behavior to coexist
Old 04-04-2024, 11:54 AM   #419
Sexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netchicks View Post
Amazing stuff!

Is it possible for the "Select thing under mouse" setting to be context sensitive? When opening up the PIE menu for an envelope context I'd love the envelope to be selected automatically. Same thing for tracks under mouse when opening PIE in the MCP. I don't want new things to be selected in the track context and especially not for the item context.
Except envelope which is currently not selected I don't understand the request since they are all context sensitive:
Over mcp mcp will be selected, over tcp tcp will be selected, item item etc but you don't want it to be selected ?

You want per context option ?
Old 04-04-2024, 03:15 PM   #420
Netchicks

Quote:
Except envelope which is currently not selected I don't understand the request since they are all context sensitive:
Over mcp mcp will be selected, over tcp tcp will be selected, item item etc but you don't want it to be selected ?

You want per context option ?
Yeah per context option! Now it selects whatever is under the mouse. It doesn't make sense to me that opening PIE selects the item under the mouse right now when hovering over a media item, as I'm mostly using actions that affect an entire group of items that I've selected. Current behavior solo selects the item under the mouse. This kind of solo select does however make sense for envelopes. This is specific to my workflow however, so adding some options to tailor when the PIE selects under the mouse or not would help a lot
Netchicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 12:03 AM   #421
hans

Yes, selection option under mouse depending on context. I also thought that would be a good idea.
hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 12:36 PM   #422
Digitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArKaDaTa View Post
When you're within a menu, clicking the circle will move back to parent menu currently, if I correctly understood what you mean I think it's hard for theses 2 behavior to coexist
makes sense, thanks
Old 04-07-2024, 12:19 AM   #423
erikmartinez

Hi, I get an error while opening a menu and launching a hotkey for an existing submenu
I restarted the ripper but the problem cannot be repeated on purpose
Code:
Error: Sexan_Pie3000.lua:453: attempt to index a nil value (field '?')

Stack traceback:
 Sexan_Pie3000.lua:453: in upvalue 'ExecuteAction'
 Sexan_Pie3000.lua:490: in upvalue 'DoAction'
 Sexan_Pie3000.lua:515: in function <...g\REAPER\Scripts\Sexan_Scripts\Pie3000\Sexan_Pie3000.lua:494>
  [C]: in function 'xpcall'
 Common.lua:585: in function <...\Roaming\REAPER\Scripts\Sexan_Scripts\Pie3000\Common.lua:584>

Reaper: 7.12/x64
Platform: Win64
erikmartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 01:53 AM   #424
DillonTerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungryMurloc View Post
I seem to have found a workaroud for this, although that means creating custom actions for every FX, on top of creating shortcuts:

- Create new custom action
- Firstly, Add SWS/BR: Focus tracks
- THEN add the FX shortcut.

And by selecting the new custom action in the Pie Menu setup, it changes focus from arrange to track and adds selected fx.

Is it possible to add the option in the settings to auto-call this command before inserting FX?

I too would love a fix for this if possible. I've created a shortcut for an insert fx for all of my vst's but they currently do nothing when selected in the arrangement

I'm also wondering if it is possible to duplicate an entire menu, so that when I create the Track menu for all of my vst's i can duplicate all of the buttons to the "Item" menu so i have the same vst's there ready to apply to an item.

This script is awesome thanks for your hard work

Last edited by DillonTerry; 04-07-2024 at 02:01 AM. Reason: adding more info
DillonTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 02:58 AM   #425
ArKaDaTa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DillonTerry View Post
I too would love a fix for this if possible. I've created a shortcut for an insert fx for all of my vst's but they currently do nothing when selected in the arrangement

I'm also wondering if it is possible to duplicate an entire menu, so that when I create the Track menu for all of my vst's i can duplicate all of the buttons to the "Item" menu so i have the same vst's there ready to apply to an item.

This script is awesome thanks for your hard work
Regarding VST inserts for track/Items, you can already integrate a menu on another one, so if you had your "Inserts" menu it's easy to add it to both the "TCP" and "ITEM" context.

But I suspect you added actions directly to the "TCP" and "ITEM" context instead of using a submenu and in this case it's true that there seem to be no way to easily duplicate/mirror the 'first level' of a context menu.

I believe Sexan will add more options for pie/menu management at some point, in the meantime there is one way you could achieve this by messing with the "pie_file.txt" within the script folder, and copying content from "tcp =" to "item =" (be aware that this could break things so back things up or don't do it).

Last edited by ArKaDaTa; 04-07-2024 at 03:46 AM.
Old 04-07-2024, 04:20 AM   #426
Sexan

Inserting only works in TCP natively (needs to be focused) when you try to execute that action from action list. When changing that focus via script some actions don't work properly. So there will be no workaround for this or options to insert it any other way.

Your best bet is to add FR to devs for this (inserting while Arrange is in focus) or do custom action like you are already doing.

@eric I need a gif or steps to reproduce
Old 04-07-2024, 06:04 AM   #427
erikmartinez

Could not repeat the problem, now the problem appears when the envelope track is not from the standard, for example some parameter soothe

Old 04-07-2024, 07:29 AM   #428
Sexan

Is that exported menu?
Old 04-07-2024, 10:34 AM   #429
erikmartinez

Quote:
Is that exported menu?
This is the default menu for the envelope context. So far, the error is only manually detected for envelopes
Old 04-07-2024, 10:51 AM   #430
Sexan

Can you share me the pie file over discord for easier debug? (menu file also)
Old 04-08-2024, 10:04 AM   #431
Sexan

Larger update
Code:
-- @version 0.35.00
-- @changelog
--  Tracker script - set focus on window under mouse (fixes script not opening when context is not in focus)
--  Simplify detecting midi/media explorer
--  Protect call context function
--  Added midi track list Context
--  Added Ruler Region,Marker,Temp context
--  Add actions filters (Main, Midi, ME)
--  Run OnCommand API depending is the current context Main/Midi/ME
--  Show warning if action does not belong to context
--  If envelope is unknown (VST etc) return default main context (fixes crash on shortcut press on unknown envelopes)
--  Select envelope under mouse
--  Style Text Button improve state spinner animation
--  Style Text Button tweak toggle state animation
--  Replace OPEN AS DROPDOWN with DropDown Style
--  DropDown Style Improve and simplify code
--  DropDOwn Style Ignore HOLD_TO_OPEN,ANIMATION,ADJUST_PIE_NEAR_EDGE,SWIPE
--  DropDOwn Style Disable buttons in Opening behavior
--  DropDOwn Style Setup Setup Drawing
Added third style DropDown, lots of fixes, new contexts....

So this concludes pie styles...no....more

One new thing is context will detect if actions is for it (this is necessary since you can add any action anywhere). In that case tooltip warning will showup

This applies for any style

EDIT: wait I've broke something in DropDownMode

EDIT2: fixed
Code:
-- @version 0.35.01
-- @changelog
--  Track actions for DropDown Style by name instead of table idx
EDIT3: Forgot to add tracker to dropdown

EDIT4:
Code:
-- @version 0.35.02
-- @changelog
--  Added Tracker button for DropDown Style

EDIT5:
Code:
-- @version 0.35.03
-- @changelog
--  Prettify DropDown Style setup

Last edited by Sexan; 04-08-2024 at 12:50 PM.
Old 04-08-2024, 01:55 PM   #432
Vagelis

The new dropdown menu looks very good, thx Is it possible to add our icons too with this menu?
Also, I couldn't figure how to use it with midi inline editor actions.
Old 04-08-2024, 02:02 PM   #433
Sexan

Ah I did not add inline actions... will add in next update (events list also)
Adding icons is little complicated with imgui, you need to edit them, set in specific range etc..
Easiest here is to add images (not yet added that support for dropdown).

But in any case images would beed to be 15x15ish to work properly here

Last edited by Sexan; 04-08-2024 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-09-2024, 01:46 AM   #434
Sexan

Code:
-- @Version 0.35.08
-- @changelog
--  DropDown Style fix item hover (reset last action if no items are hovered)
--  Exported menu separate action search logic from normal Pie
--  Exported Menu detect action context
--  Exported Menu detect MIDI CC action context
--  Improve action context detect Warning when activating action
--  Added Midi Inline, Midi Event actions
Old 04-09-2024, 03:36 AM   #435
pjs

I've successfully created menu items in TCP and TCP EMPTY during previous versions of the Pie menu script.

The latest @Version 0.35.08 is throwing the errors below when I either select TCP or TCP EMPTY during setup.

Same message when I activate the script with the mouse over the TCP panel.

I have tried disabling the "ReaImgGui to reset saved settings" as per the ImGui assertion failed message but it made no difference.

Error: Common.lua:991: bad argument #1 to 'GetToggleCommandStateEx' (number expected, got nil)

Stack traceback:
[C]: in field 'GetToggleCommandStateEx'
Common.lua:991: in upvalue 'PieButtonDrawlist'
Common.lua:1562: in upvalue 'DrawModernStyle'
Common.lua:1919: in function 'DrawPie'
Sexan_Pie3000.lua:635: in function <...g\REAPER\Scripts\Sexan_Scripts\Pie3000\Sexan_P ie3000.lua:596>
[C]: in function 'xpcall'
Common.lua:628: in function <...\Roaming\REAPER\Scripts\Sexan_Scripts\Pie3000\ Common.lua:627>

Reaper: 7.14/x64
Platform: Win64
pjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 03:39 AM   #436
Sexan

Which style you are using?

EDIT: Nvm my bad fixing

EIDT2: Should be fixed
Code:
-- @version 0.35.11
-- @changelog
--  Expand action section id for inline and event list
EDIT3:
Code:
-- @version 0.35.12
-- @changelog
--  Improved/optimized action find logic
--  Improved/optimized action state checking
--  DropDown Style added state spinner
Made better logic for this and should be more performant

Last edited by Sexan; 04-09-2024 at 04:59 AM.
Old 04-09-2024, 06:36 AM   #437
Vagelis

Quote:
Ah I did not add inline actions... will add in next update (events list also)
Adding icons is little complicated with imgui, you need to edit them, set in specific range etc..
Easiest here is to add images (not yet added that support for dropdown).

But in any case images would beed to be 15x15ish to work properly here
Thanks for the update! I've added an inline action to midi item context for testing, but it seems I can't run it. Am I using the wrong context? The action is "reverse all events"

*It would be very nice if there was support for images too Thinking to use it for my custom tools.
Also, would it be possible to add the option "Activate hovered action when closing script" for the dropdown menu please?
Old 04-09-2024, 06:47 AM   #438
Sexan

Hm... maybe api is not supporting it (like media explorer),,,will check...

Rest of FR are comming
Old 04-09-2024, 12:45 PM   #439
Sexan

Code:
-- @version 0.35.21
-- @changelog
--  Reintroduce Limit mouse movement to Pie radius
--  DropDown Style disable and ignore Reintroduce Limit mouse movement to Pie radius option
--  DropDown Style Allow Activate action on script close
--  Custom Scripts Pies allow functions name (func = "NameOfFunction") in pie table
--  Disable Midi Inline, Midi Event actions for now
Also we have a problem with InLine and Event List actions,, they cannot be triggered from api..... added FR to devs...
Until then I will remove them from script

Last edited by Sexan; 04-09-2024 at 01:08 PM.
Old 04-10-2024, 01:25 AM   #440
pjs

Quote:
Which style you are using?

EDIT: Nvm my bad fixing

EIDT2: Should be fixed
Perfect.
Many thanks!
pjs is offline   Reply With Quote