Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 03-26-2024, 04:44 PM   #1081
chmaha
Human being with feelings

NEW: ReaClassical 24.10
  • Various: Use Pyramix-style single mixer
  • F7/F8: Auto-upgrade of old projects to single mixer paradigm
  • F8: Sync record inputs, track lock states
Right then! Here's the big release and the culmination in routing paradigm shift that started with RCMASTER bus. I'm super-excited to share this with you. Now you have a Pyramix-style single mixer that all the source groups feed into (identified in the mixer window by tracks starting with "M:". Set all your track controls, sends and FX on these tracks without having to sync across multiple source groups! Thanks for the nerd-snipe, @goldec!

Plus, as promised, any old projects are seamlessly updated with the press of F7 (horizontal) or F8 (vertical). This is super cool. We are talking any track settings originally in the first group (volume, pan, polarity, sends to @aux tracks, even FX!) are magically moved to the new mixer tracks and routing auto-magically rebuilt.

The F8 shortcut also syncs record inputs and track lock states. In other words, set your inputs once on the destination group, press F8 and hey presto! Need to stop recording on a spot microphone because your musician finished for the day? Set the affected track in the destination to locked (right-click "Lock Track Controls"), press F8 et voila! Need to rename your tracks? Do so just on the destination group and press, you got it, F8. Yes, the original version managed this but using a very different method. The new mixer paradigm forced me to rethink the entire function.

Horizontal workflow users are not left out. You, too, get the single mixer tracks just in case you ever want to convert to vertical workflow later. Press F7 after renaming tracks to sync to the mixer track.

In both modes, F7/F8 can easily rebuild the routing structure if you accidentally delete one or more of the mixer tracks and/or RCMASTER bus.

Also try Add Track to All Groups (Shift+T) to quickly add a new track to all groups (and rebuilt routing) during a recording session. This works in horizontal workflow too!

Oh, yes! And the ReaClassical theme was updated to make it obvious where things are supposed to be manipulated. Tracks only have a record-arm button and trackname (still easy to tell solo/mute modes). The rest is now on the mixer tracks.

Read the manual but hopefully this will all feel extremely natural. If you haven't worked with a Pyramix-style single mixer before, enjoy! It makes things SO much easier and is definitely way more resource friendly. The general structure is regular groups feed into the single set of mixer tracks (which optionally send to @aux tracks) which feed RCMASTER.

========

For a quick sense of what the various scripts can do, see appendix A of the PDF manual included in the metapackage (H) or here: https://github.com/chmaha/ReaClassic...cal-Manual.pdf

For a fresh install, upgrade in place etc please see the installation guide.

If you like these new updates and want to support continued development, please consider donating (as promised, I'm limiting these polite asks to coincide with releases that contain new features). Thanks so much to those who have done so already. It means a great deal to me.

Last edited by chmaha; 03-26-2024 at 05:16 PM.
chmaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 04:14 AM   #1082
robinb

Hello everyone, first post here, and thank you most of all chmaha for the torrent of updates you have put out in recent weeks. I am (frustratingly) still a beginner with Reaper but am enjoying seeing your ReaClassical extensions develop so much, just as I'm about to embark on two huge editing projects...

I just updated to 24.10, but am seeing a few things I can't reconcile with your description of the new features. I expect it could be user error, or me misunderstanding some fundamentals, but I'd be grateful for any pointers:

1. I opened an existing vertical-style project, with 7 tracks-worth of items in just one source group, a reverb aux (created with the @ command), four tracks sending to that aux, and nothing in the Destination group yet. When I press F8 I only get a 'Create Source Groups' popup, not the conversion to the new single mixer with the 'M:' prefixes. What's more, if I now audition any audio in the source group, all channels disappear from the mixer apart from the RCMASTER. The mix itself seems unaffected except that the reverb aux is now not active.

2. By way of getting some extra perspective, I opened the same project in an earlier state, horizontal-style, but which also already had an RCMASTER and to which I'd also added the reverb aux via the @ shortcut. Same four tracks sending to the aux. If I press F7 here I get the 'Create/Sync Horizontal Workflow' popup, the mixer then rebuilds with 'M:' prefixes, but the aux sends are deleted. That is not a big problem of course, and they can be reinstated manually, but I just wanted to note this.

I'm stumped by 1. Could there be something specific about my project that is causing the problem here?

Many thanks - R
robinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 04:31 AM   #1083
chmaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
Hello everyone, first post here, and thank you most of all chmaha for the torrent of updates you have put out in recent weeks. I am (frustratingly) still a beginner with Reaper but am enjoying seeing your ReaClassical extensions develop so much, just as I'm about to embark on two huge editing projects...

I just updated to 24.10, but am seeing a few things I can't reconcile with your description of the new features. I expect it could be user error, or me misunderstanding some fundamentals, but I'd be grateful for any pointers:

1. I opened an existing vertical-style project, with 7 tracks-worth of items in just one source group, a reverb aux (created with the @ command), four tracks sending to that aux, and nothing in the Destination group yet. When I press F8 I only get a 'Create Source Groups' popup, not the conversion to the new single mixer with the 'M:' prefixes. What's more, if I now audition any audio in the source group, all channels disappear from the mixer apart from the RCMASTER. The mix itself seems unaffected except that the reverb aux is now not active.

2. By way of getting some extra perspective, I opened the same project in an earlier state, horizontal-style, but which also already had an RCMASTER and to which I'd also added the reverb aux via the @ shortcut. Same four tracks sending to the aux. If I press F7 here I get the 'Create/Sync Horizontal Workflow' popup, the mixer then rebuilds with 'M:' prefixes, but the aux sends are deleted. That is not a big problem of course, and they can be reinstated manually, but I just wanted to note this.

I'm stumped by 1. Could there be something specific about my project that is causing the problem here?

Many thanks - R
Hi, and welcome! Hmm, there may well be some gremlins. But, I can't recreate your two issues weirdly despite trying with various projects without mixer tracks and/or RCMASTER bus.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to look into this until the middle of next week. For now, it might be best to continue with 24.9. Go to Extensions > ReaPack > Browse... Search for ReaClassical, right-click versions and re-install 24.9.3.

Last edited by chmaha; 03-27-2024 at 05:05 AM.
Old 03-29-2024, 04:27 AM   #1084
goldec

Oh wow the latest main release is a banger. Incredible work, the best just got WAY better!
goldec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 08:16 AM   #1085
robinb

Default 24.10 success, and thanks...

A follow-up to my post from a couple of days ago, and thanks chmaha for looking into my issues and helping me via PM. As predicted, user error. I had renamed my aux track, losing the @ prefix in the process. With @ reinstated all goes swimmingly.

The other reason I'm posting is to second @goldec's comments, and say just how brilliantly ReaClassical is working for me. I did a first big day of editing yesterday, in an S-D project with one source group, and it's proving to be brilliant in very many ways. Delightfully easy to jump between source takes and audition them, and I'm discovering that source markers well-placed on the fly are leading to assembly-line-style edits that frequently work perfectly from the off. But when it's required the crossfade editor is revelatory too - so quick and flexible, with the clustering of A, Z & X keyboard shortcuts a stroke of genius, and the ability to step sequentially through fades with Q and W the height of luxury. Even as a relative beginner I must be working 10 times faster than with any non S-D DAW. Can't wait to see what else is in the pipeline.
robinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 12:16 PM   #1086
goldec

I agree. Using reaclassical has taken off hours of editing time from each project I work on.
And since auditioning and editing has become much easier the quality of my work has improved aswell.
I really can't imagine my life without reaclassical anymore.
goldec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 08:18 AM   #1087
AndiS

Hi,
I am using REAPER for S-D editing of classical music for several years now, starting well before the creation of ReaClassical. If it existed at the time, I would have for sure jumped on the ReaClassical train from the beginning.
It seems very thought through and enjoyable to use. But since I developed a slightly different (and sufficiently well working) approach, I wonder if I could somehow migrate (parts of) my workflow.
The thing is that I use seperate projects (project tabs) for source and destination (that was the only real option at the time with REAPER), just like Sequioa does. I like the clean look and clarity of the desination project then, since large and complex source projects can get... well... complex, large and at times even a bit messy (looking). Also, I sometimes enjoy having multiple source projects that edit into a single destination project, like different movements of one larger piece of music.

What do you (all) think? Could a multi-project option for editing with ReaClassical be interesting or even technically realizable?

If there is a way to make it happen, I am of course happy to help.

All the best!
Andi
AndiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 08:45 AM   #1088
chmaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiS View Post
Hi,
I am using REAPER for S-D editing of classical music for several years now, starting well before the creation of ReaClassical. If it existed at the time, I would have for sure jumped on the ReaClassical train from the beginning.
It seems very thought through and enjoyable to use. But since I developed a slightly different (and sufficiently well working) approach, I wonder if I could somehow migrate (parts of) my workflow.
The thing is that I use seperate projects (project tabs) for source and destination (that was the only real option at the time with REAPER), just like Sequioa does. I like the clean look and clarity of the desination project then, since large and complex source projects can get... well... complex, large and at times even a bit messy (looking). Also, I sometimes enjoy having multiple source projects that edit into a single destination project, like different movements of one larger piece of music.

What do you (all) think? Could a multi-project option for editing with ReaClassical be interesting or even technically realizable?

If there is a way to make it happen, I am of course happy to help.

All the best!
Andi
Hi! Long story short...the ability to S-D edit across any number of project tabs is already in the development queue If you look at the functions available in 24.10, there are three functions for adding source and destination project markers and also deleting them. These do nothing of note at present but I'm part way through coding the actual multi-project S-D editing part so thought I'd add them in preparation.

Basically, all that's left is figuring out how many of the S-D edits are viable for multi-project mode. I suspect all but one of the 2-point edits (involving 2 source markers) are sensible but I would probably just keep them all in the first instance.

I don't think you'll be waiting too long for this to become a reality but I'll probably put out a few point releases based on 24.10 first.
Old 04-03-2024, 09:11 AM   #1089
AndiS

Oh, that is great to hear!
I'm very much looking forward to it.
Thank you!

All the best
Andi
AndiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 09:41 AM   #1090
chmaha

NEW: ReaClassical 24.10.1
  • Prevent RCMASTER conversion message if messagebox is cancelled (F7 and F8)
  • Test if first track is a parent before allowing to add child track to table (F8)
  • Route regular tracks to mixer tracks when running F8 from empty project
Just a small update to makes things a little better. The first one is purely cosmetic so that if you cancel either the F7 or F8 function on an empty project you don't get any message about your project being auto-magically upgraded. The second one is in case of user error and your destination "group" isn't actually a group. The result is that you'll get the usual message that your groups need to be the same size. Finally, of more importance, is F8 will actually route tracks into the mixer tracks when run on an empty project

As with all of the functions, there are probably ways to generate generic REAPER lua error messages if you try hard enough and use them in ways not intended. It would be good to know of these so I can eliminate them and replace with gentle ReaClassical messages that are actually useful.

NEW: ReaClassical 24.10.2
  • Simplify Duplicate Folder function
  • Remove message when synchronizing via F8
A couple more. Duplicate Folder (\) can be drastically simplified given it calls F8 sync before the close. And, it turns out that I need to remove the sync message from F8 otherwise it really gets annoying when using Classical Take Record (F9). I don't think there's a way in REAPER to detect if a lua function is called from within another otherwise we could disable the message for just those occasions. In any case, running F8 sync is so predictable at this stage there's no real need for a message. The alternative is to copy/paste most of the code across multiple functions but my brain rebels against that (DRY - Don't Repeat Yourself).

NEW: ReaClassical 24.10.3
  • Classical Take Record: Mute non-selected tracks
  • Classical Take Record: Do not mute @ aux tracks
  • Auditioning: Fix mixer view for horizontal workflow
  • Auditioning: Track: Unarm all tracks for recording
  • Vertical: Tweak use of solo depending on situation
Last update for tonight...Classical Take Record (F9) now mutes non-recording tracks much the same way as auditioning. Auditioning now has the correct mixer view for horizontal workflow with a single group. Hopefully in the name of efficiency, auditioning via A or shift+A un-arms any tracks armed for recording so it is super-easy to disengage a large group of armed tracks at once. You can, of course, use shift+R or F9 to quickly arm a whole group while a parent track is selected. Finally, vertical workflow creation and sync (F8) solo() function is only used on a blank project or with a single folder. As in, if you sync, your current solo/mute configuration is retained.

Last edited by chmaha; 04-03-2024 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-03-2024, 11:43 PM   #1091
chmaha

NEW: ReaClassical 24.10.4
  • Vertical Workflow: Stop jumping to top of project when running sync
  • Vertical Workflow: Remove unnecessary code
  • Duplicate Folder: Scroll to new folder
Further refinements over breakfast. Vertical workflow sync (F8) will no longer jump to the top of the project. Various bits of superfluous code have been removed. Duplicate Folder (\) now centers the view on the newly created folder.
Old 04-04-2024, 11:25 AM   #1092
chmaha

NEW: ReaClassical 24.11
  • Various: Allow for not routing directly to RCMASTER
  • Theme: Remove rec input on mixer
  • PDF Manual: Add new submix info
  • PDF Manual: Add info about automation/envelopes
NEW: ReaClassical 24.11.1
  • Workflows: Do not show RCMASTER upgrade message if function cannot run
  • Classical Take Record: Slight change to message when attempted to run on empty project
Hehe. This one is pretty seismic (at least from a mixing point of view!). But first...I made a few more tweaks to the default ReaClassical theme to further push users in the right direction for track vs mixer panel controls. Depending on your screen resolution etc, you'll see just a pan button in the upper section of the mixer tracks. Adjust accordingly if it looks like a lot of white space.

Now, onto the big news. Yes, we already have the new mixer tracks and RCMASTER. Woohoo. We also have the existing @ aux send tracks. And everything synchronizes reliably on repeated F7 and F8 presses. But...what if you actually wanted submixes? As in, one or more of your mixer tracks going to a @ track but not to RCMASTER. For example, channels 3-6 first summing to a @strings submix bus.

Good news, and after much thought, I came up with the "ReaClassical" way that needed to be reliably recreated like the item naming for DDP/CD album creation (Y) and the existing synchronizing of mixer tracks + RCMASTER routing. So, it's this simple: Add a minus sign¹ (-) to the end of any track name in the first group for the related mixer track that you don't want routing directly to RCMASTER. Sync. Route. Done. In our strings example above:
  1. Create an @ track (via shortcut @, of course!) and rename it @strings
  2. Add a minus sign to the end of the names for tracks 3-6 in the first group
  3. Sync via F7 or F8 depending on your workflow
  4. Route the relevant mixer tracks ("M:") to @strings mixbus by click-dragging from the routing "stripes" to the @strings submix.
Further F7 or F8 synchronizing will respect this routing.

So, in a way, this sorta recreates what I like about Harrison Mixbus routing. For example, you could also easily add a minus sign to the end of a @ submix track to recreate Harrison's Mixbus32C's structure of submixes feeding other submixes. Or, in the case of our strings example, we could create a @verb send and route @strings to it. Note that both @ tracks don't have minus signs in this example so will also route to RCMASTER (as we would expect with a reverb send).

Basic rule of thumb / summary: If you add a minus sign to the end of a track in the first group or a @ track and sync, the mixer track equivalent or @ will be disconnected from RCMASTER. It's good for creating submixes (or submixes feeding other submixes)

========
¹ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyphen-minus. You can use the numpad key version too if you have one. The hyphen and minus sign are one and the same symbol.

For a quick sense of what the various scripts can do, see appendix A of the PDF manual included in the metapackage (H) or here: https://github.com/chmaha/ReaClassic...cal-Manual.pdf

If you like these new updates and want to support continued development, please consider donating (as promised, I'm limiting these polite asks to coincide with releases that contain new features). Thanks so much to those who have done so already. It means a great deal to me.

Last edited by chmaha; 04-05-2024 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-05-2024, 11:42 AM   #1093
chmaha

Default Installer news

NEW: Installer Features
  • Pull latest recommended REAPER ver from here and use latest ReaClassical major version (short year) for portable folder suffix from the @version line in the ReaClassical.lua metapackage
  • Add useful REAPER and ReaClassical version info after the welcome message
Not a ReaClassical functions update but cool nonetheless. It saves me typing variable constants in three installer files every time I decide to switch the installers to a new REAPER base. It also means that theoretically I never have to update the installers again given the ReaClassical short year suffix should be in lockstep with whatever major version number is latest in ReaPack.

I made a few other alterations while I was at it too including printing the versions after the welcome message so it is super clear what is about to be installed. For example, this should be pretty similar across all OSes:

Don't forget that you can have multiple portable ReaClassical installs in the same location given the ReaClassical installer will automatically add a 5-character hash if the original exists. It's primarily there to prevent issues with overwriting existing files but if you wanted to check out new features while you continue work in a previous version, there's nothing stopping you. Enjoy!

(And, yes, REAPER 7.14 is super cool when it comes to waveform loudness coloring and momentary/short LUFS graphing overlay!)

Last edited by chmaha; 04-05-2024 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-05-2024, 12:28 PM   #1094
Postfade

Chmaha,
You're producing updates so fast.....I just can't keep up with trying the new features, all of which are amazing.
OUTSTANDING WORK!
Postfade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 02:27 PM   #1095
chmaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postfade View Post
Chmaha,
You're producing updates so fast.....I just can't keep up with trying the new features, all of which are amazing.
OUTSTANDING WORK!
Thanks for the kind words and thanks for your support. One day I'll slow down but not yet There is at least one more major feature to add for the 24.x series. Could be this weekend, could be a few weeks from now. Then I'll take some time to get feedback on all the new (and old) features and bugfix, improve documentation etc as needed.

As ever, if anyone has feature requests or bug reports (including any generic REAPER Lua error messages), just let me know. I'd say any feature requests would now be for the 25.x series but you know me by now that if something grabs my interest it's generally coded in a day or so Plus we're still only at the beginning of April.
Old 04-06-2024, 04:48 AM   #1096
chmaha

NEW: ReaClassical 24.11.2
  • New: Add plus sign to RCMASTER name to show in TCP
  • Various: Adapt mixer() to deal with RCMASTER+
So in REAPER/ReaClassical you can do track automation/envelope editing on any regular tracks in folders (only the first group makes sense given it is where you compile your final edited audio) plus you have the handy "take" envelopes which you can apply on individual items to do cool things like tame stray peaks in a quicker and more transparent manner than using a limiter on a tiny sliced edit (it visually affects the waveform too!). You can read about it in the ReaClassical PDF manual.

But, then there's good ol' riding the main fader to do manual compression. You can of course ride the fader in the mixer either on RCMASTER or the master bus. But if you like drawing in with the pencil you have two options. Either enable the master track in the arrange window (via View > Master Track) or to keep with the ReaClassical way of doing things, simply add a plus (+) to the end of RCMASTER name then sync, or use audition etc and it appears in the main window (until you remove the +). Now you can press the envelope button on RCMASTER mixer track, select "volume" for example and you'll see it appear under the track. Further, you can change the the envelope to appear over the items vs in their own lanes. I've changed mine over to appear over the items as I find it much easier to work with:

If you have existing envelopes you can toggle them to appear over the media items by running "Envelope: Toggle display in separate lane for selected envelope" from the actions menu (?). No doubt that this will be a default ReaClassical setting for new portable installs the next time I upload a new Resource Folder Base.

And, there's more:

NEW: Installer Features Part 2
  • Use system TMP directory for handling downloaded resources

I did another big update on these this morning. Every installer now uses the system temp directory for the downloading and processing the various components before assembling where you ran the script/binary. At the end, the temp folder is removed. It's much cleaner visually. Plus, I calculated that it will make your ReaClassical productions sound 20% more pleasing too.

Last edited by chmaha; 04-06-2024 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-06-2024, 12:04 PM   #1097
chmaha

NEW: ReaClassical 24.11.3
  • New: Add submix function (#)
  • Rename original @aux function
  • Various: Tweak solo() and mixer() functions to allow for submix
  • Rename F7 and F8 functions
  • Updated Keyboard Shortcuts file for new and renamed functions
I didn't want to have to push this update but here goes. I realized that I broke the Exclusive Audition function (due to the new routing power via minus sign given I could no longer assume mixer tracks were connected directly to RCMASTER) so had to come up with another solution. Hopefully this is it.

So, we have a new Add Submix function (#). This is the track you need for all submix duties and the original aux function (@) for any sends. Given you'll have to use the ReaClassical Updater (Shift+U) to automatically grab the new shortcuts for new and renamed functions, I thought I'd also rename the F7/F8 ones while I was at it. The filenames for what it's worth are now "ReaClassical_Horizontal Workflow.lua" and "ReaClassical_Vertical Workflow.lua". Same functionality, same shortcut (if you update) but different name.

But, of course, in reality, the functionality did change because the solo() and mixer() functions had to account for the new type of track.

The same things apply as before...add a minus sign to any track to disconnect it from RCMASTER. You can then route however you like with the added benefit that both auditioning tools should do what they are supposed to do now (ignore sends but route submixes all the way through to RCMASTER so you can actually hear things).

I bashed my head against the desk several times late afternoon but I think I finally got there. I also realized too late that this is really 24.12 given we have a new function but given the stressful circumstances of its birth, it will be a lowly minor release. And I should probably update the PDF manual later to reflect all this too!

NEW: ReaClassical 24.11.4
  • Aux/Submix/RoomTone: Change message to reflect new naming
  • Horizontal/Vertical: Ensure messagebox titles are in line with new naming

Last edited by chmaha; 04-06-2024 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-07-2024, 01:46 AM   #1098
chmaha

NEW: ReaClassical 24.11.5
  • Various: Change NamedCommandLookup to reflect F7/F8 name change
  • Submix and various: Change to teal color
  • PDF Manual: Add new submix info, change function names where needed
OK, here's the morning update. Submix gets its own muted teal color and I've updated the PDF manual to reflect the new type of track and use up-to-date names for functions.

NEW: ReaClassical 24.11.6
  • Various: Sync after adding @,# and ~ for auto spacing
  • Remove confirmation message from F7 so sync can happen from other functions
Every time you add an aux send, submix or roomtone track, the project will sync via F7 or F8 depending on your folder count and auto-space the mixer panel so you always have a gap after the destination/first group, a gap after the last source folder and before RCMASTER. We like things neat and tidy.

NEW: ReaClassical 24.11.7
  • Auditioning: Simplify solo() logic
  • Audition: Remove solo from RCMASTER after using exclusive audition

Last edited by chmaha; 04-07-2024 at 05:24 AM.
Old 04-08-2024, 12:17 AM   #1099
chmaha

NEW: ReaClassical 24.11.8
  • Fix auditioning of RoomTone track
Both A and shift-A + mouse hover actions now allow for RoomTone track audition (exactly the same output but wanted both to do something!). I wonder if anyone is using this track yet. I've used it to add some realism to VSTi recording but it is really there as the beginning steps of an automated gap-filler. Eventually, when using the Y shortcut if RoomTone track is present it will generate some envelope points there that are an exact inverse of the fade-ins and fade-outs on the first destination track. In other words, your roomtone will seamlessly come in and out based on what is happening in the destination. Again, because it is ReaClassical, it will be easy to make adjustments to track spacing for your album, re-run Y and have instance inverse-matched volume points.

However...this is a tough code. I managed an prototype yesterday but more needs to be done to understand exactly what is going on under the REAPER hood. Anyway, this and the multi-tab S-D editing will be the final big two features being added for 24.x (unless someone manages to nerd-snipe me).

NEW: ReaClassical 24.11.9
  • Actually fix auditioning of RoomTone track
If a group track had been exclusively auditioned, bus and RoomTone tracks kept their send mutes. Now, all are reset at the start of solo() logic.

Last edited by chmaha; 04-08-2024 at 02:31 PM.
Old 04-09-2024, 02:22 PM   #1100
chmaha

NEW: ReaClassical 24.12
  • New: "Mastering" Mode via ReaClassical Preferences (F5)
  • Create CD Markers (Y): Add automatic RoomTone volume envelope function
Two big new features! First are the beginnings of a "mastering" mode. Open ReaClassical preferences and set "Mastering mode" to 1. Sync via F7 or F8 and you'll see any source groups disappear (hidden, not deleted!) and any # and @ busses plus RCMASTER magically appear in the arrange window so you have full access to automation drawing and editing. Obviously setting mastering mode back to 0 and syncing will restore the project as it was. Expect more features to be added in this mode (a Pyramix Final Check clone perhaps?!) but for now it seems like the best way to control automation at the mixer track, bus and RCMASTER level (given this, I've since removed the ability to add a plus sign to the end of RCMASTER).

And then even bigger: One-click room tone automation arrives! When you run Create CD Markers (Y), if you have a Room Tone track in the project (ideally with either a long recorded, convolution-generated audio of the room¹ OR shorter sections very roughly covering the gaps of silence in the first destination track) it will generate volume envelope points that create exact seamless crossfades with destination item starts and ends.

Slicing and dicing room tone audio should now be a thing of the past. And, like all the functionality of the Create CD Markers, this volume automation is non-destructive and trivially recreated based on the positions of the destination items. And, don't worry about pieces of music with hundreds of internal edits - the function will only add fade ins and outs whenever there is digital silence (as in when adjoining items don't overlap)!

A screenshot is better than a thousand words:

(note the brown-colored room tone audio with the magic automation generated underneath)

OK, enjoy. There's now the small matter of introducing multi-tab S-D editing at some point as the final big planned new feature for 24.x series. Maybe next weekend at this point. Although earlier today, someone may have successfully convinced me to introduce another time-saving automation-based mixer feature. More to follow on that...

---
¹ As described in an earlier post and in the manual, running white noise into a few seconds of actual recorded room tone will give you as many minutes/hours of lovely room tone as you could wish for either produced on-the-fly or by rendering a time selection. I found the idea here but, of course, it is super-easy to recreate in REAPER using ReaVerb.

Last edited by chmaha; 04-09-2024 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-10-2024, 09:44 AM   #1101
chmaha

NEW: ReaClassical 24.12.1
  • Minimize mixer tracks etc in mastering mode
When syncing, auditioning etc in "mastering" mode, all mixer tracks, busses, RoomTone and RCMASTER are minimized and first track expanded. If you choose to expand automation lanes, these will not be affected.

NEW: ReaClassical 24.12.2pre0410
  • New: Automation mode (Ctrl+I)
  • New: Insert mixer envelope points (I)

Well, this happened quite fast. This is a pre-release so you'd need to go into ReaPack, search for ReaClassical, right-click versions and select 24.12.2pre0410. Or you can wait the hours or day until I release it officially (and you can then automatically pull the updated keyboard shortcuts too). But here is yet another ReaClassical time-saver. Here's how it works:

(ideally in "mastering" mode so you can see the automation lane points)
  1. Enter "automation" mode via Ctrl+I (envelope buttons go blue for "latch preview")
  2. Change a fader or two (or pan, or even FX parameter etc)
  3. Press I to insert the automation as envelope points either at the edit cursor (until end of project) OR inside a time selection if present
Immediately you can audition back the results. Keep adding and editing until you are happy then exit the "automation" mode via Ctrl+I (envelope buttons go green for "read"). You could also switch to trim/read too via the envelope manager > "Global override: Trim/Read". I love how it will transform my ability to quickly create static mixer settings for different pieces on the same album. And, of course, this doesn't prevent you from then going on to do detailed envelope editing to briefly bring out a solo spot etc. I'm super happy with this but, then again, I'm quite very biased

Last edited by chmaha; 04-10-2024 at 04:41 PM.
Old 04-10-2024, 03:21 PM   #1102
chmaha

NEW: ReaClassical 24.13.5
  • New: Automation mode (Ctrl+I)
  • New: Insert mixer and FX parameter envelope points (I)
  • Automation Mode: Display correct keyboard shortcut in messagebox
  • New: Multi-purpose hide/show folder/automation lanes functions
  • Add new automation-related keyboard shortcuts
  • Re-arm lanes when showing previously hidden envelopes
  • Actually add new functions to meta-package (ugh!)

Here's another release that adds yet another "ReaClassical" way of operating that hopefully makes your life a lot easier. The focus here is a quick and painless way to add mixer scenes to various parts of your classical production. From the post above:
Quote:
(ideally in "mastering" mode so you can see the automation lane points)
  1. Enter "automation" mode via Ctrl+I (envelope buttons go blue for "latch preview")
  2. Change a fader or two (or pan, or even FX parameter etc)
  3. Press I to insert the automation as envelope points either at the edit cursor (until end of project) OR inside a time selection if present
Immediately you can audition back the results. Keep adding and editing until you are happy then exit the "automation" mode via Ctrl+I (envelope buttons go green for "read"). You could also switch to trim/read too via the envelope manager > "Global override: Trim/Read".
Added in the official release, the shortcuts D and E are now standalone ReaClassical functions that operate as before but in "mastering" mode (set in ReaClassical Preferences F5) also serve to hide and show automation lanes. Simply select the track associated with the lane(s) and use as you would on source folders.

Again, this automation workflow should make your life easier. Previously, I've always resisted automation to the point I rarely used it. But now, I'm looking forward to using it a lot more!

Don't forget if you are on the recommended portable install to run the ReaClassical Updater (Shift+U) to grab both the latest functions and the new shortcuts automatically.

========

Last edited by chmaha; 04-11-2024 at 02:33 AM.
Old 04-12-2024, 11:09 AM   #1103
chmaha

NEW: ReaClassical 24.14.1
  • Add multi-tab S-D editing
Here we are. The final piece of the S-D edit puzzle: multi-tab S-D editing is here! I'm very excited to share this! It works as follows:

You can set a pair of S-D "project" markers to enable the mode via ctrl+alt+1/2 for destination and ctrl+alt+3/4 for source. Yep, you can use either of the numbers that you already associate with source/destination. Once set, place your regular S-D markers as normal (1,2,3,4) and then use any of the S-D edit functions (5 for 2,3 or 4-point edits, F3 for assembly line, F4 for time-stretch). Easy.

Things to note:
  1. In multi-tab mode, source markers set by the user are retained after the edit. This is to make undoing extremely easy. Simply undo in the "destination" tab and you are immediately ready to reapply the edit after tweaking the destination and/or source markers.
  2. Source and destination markers (1,2,3,4) should pair with the project-level equivalent. You won't get very far trying to place destination markers in a tab marked as source.
  3. In multi-tab mode, placing regular S-D markers and S-D project markers will automatically delete any copies elsewhere in the tabs to ensure that only a single version exists.
  4. To delete regular S-D markers use existing ctrl+del (again it will auto delete across all tabs) and for the S-D project markers use shift+del (again, run from any tab and both will be deleted)

Enjoy! This was quite a lot of work and involved much re-working of the functions. But, I hope, totally worth it! @AndiS, hopefully you can begin to use ReaClassical... As I note in the manual:

Quote:
This workflow would, for example, allow you to have multiple project tabs (perhaps one for each symphony movement plus a final ‘destination’ tab), allowing for both internal S-D editing per tab but after setting the S-D project markers compiling the final edit in the ‘destination’ tab.
I now plan to go into "low power" mode for a while. I'll still be very much a presence here, bugfixing and tweaking PDF manual wording etc but I want to give you plenty of chance to use all the brand-new features for 2024. There were a LOT! If you've enjoyed this onslaught of new features, carry on reading below the dotted line to see how you can give back to the project...

========

Last edited by chmaha; 04-13-2024 at 03:15 AM.
Old 04-12-2024, 11:40 AM   #1104
MonkeyBars

I have a classical background as a musician but was never a classical audio engineer so I don't use ReaClassical but I love following the fascinating developments. Thanks chmaha you inspire me for my ReaScript projects and I can't wait to get back to them soon
MonkeyBars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 03:15 AM   #1105
chmaha

NEW: ReaClassical 24.14.2
  • Custom Toolbar(F6): Switch to S-D editing + help
With the various revamping of functions which in some cases also involved renaming, I therefore broke some of the icons on the custom toolbar. So here is the new slimline S-D edit version:

From left to right you have: Destination IN and OUT markers (1, 2), Source IN and OUT markers (3, 4), Delete S-D markers (Ctrl+Delete), S-D Edit (5), 3-point ‘Assembly Line’ Edit (F3), Insert with Time-stretching (F4), Delete With Ripple (Backspace), Delete Leaving Silence (Ctrl+Backspace), Set Destination Tab Project Marker (ctrl+alt+1/2), Set Source Tab Project Marker (ctrl+alt+3/4), Delete S-D Project Markers (shift+del), and finally, ReaClassical Help (H). Obviously the new additions are due to the new (optional) multi-tab S-D editing capabilities.

I'm trying to encourage people to use the keyboard shortcuts for all ReaClassical functions because, well, they are fast and logical. However, I'll keep the S-D editing functions on a toolbar as I know a good number who used to operate that way in Sequoia and Pyramix. Plus you have another way to access the PDF manual too. This is the default for a new portable install and also what you'll get if you run ReaClassical Updater (shift+U) and answer 'yes' to overwriting custom toolbars.

NEW: ReaClassical 24.14.3
  • Prevent marker number clash when auditioning in xfade view
I realized that auditioning in xfade mode was sharing temporary marker numbers with the new S-D project markers so the auditioning ones have been changed (including one you never actually see given it is deleted in the blink of an CPU eye). No difference to the user experience...

In related news, I discovered an oddity with one keyboard shortcut. On Linux I have backtick and ctrl+backtick set up for zooming out horizontally and vertically respectively. However on Windows, the ctrl+backtick combo is unexplainably replaced with ctrl+' (apostrophe). What's even weirder is that I can remap to ctrl+backtick and it then works! Apparently this might be an OS issue as I see issues raised on other software forums based on this very shortcut combo. @schwa or @justin - is this something that you can perhaps solve in REAPER?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
I have a classical background as a musician but was never a classical audio engineer so I don't use ReaClassical but I love following the fascinating developments. Thanks chmaha you inspire me for my ReaScript projects and I can't wait to get back to them soon
Thanks for the kind words!

Last edited by chmaha; 04-15-2024 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-13-2024, 07:28 AM   #1106
voltronic

Default Track controls gone?

I just updated, and all of the track controls have vanished from my tracks except for the record arm button. (See attached.) I thought that my installation had gotten corrupted, so I wiped out my existing install of ReaClassical and installed fresh. No change in behavior. Any idea what has happened?

EDIT: I just found that this is due to an update in the newest Theme. Setting it to ReaClassical 6.x or any other theme restores all of my track controls.

Is the removal of these controls in the latest theme intentional? If not, is there a way to restore them?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2024-04-13 102813.jpg (41.3 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by voltronic; 04-13-2024 at 07:35 AM. Reason: More info
voltronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 11:40 AM   #1107
chmaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltronic View Post
I just updated, and all of the track controls have vanished from my tracks except for the record arm button. (See attached.) I thought that my installation had gotten corrupted, so I wiped out my existing install of ReaClassical and installed fresh. No change in behavior. Any idea what has happened?

EDIT: I just found that this is due to an update in the newest Theme. Setting it to ReaClassical 6.x or any other theme restores all of my track controls.

Is the removal of these controls in the latest theme intentional? If not, is there a way to restore them?
Yes, intentional. I've documented it in the thread. Basically, yes, you can always use one of the other themes like 6.x or Pyramix/Sequoia/SaDiE etc...no worries. However...the idea behind removing the track controls is to force the user to use the new mixer tracks for everything but track naming and record-arm and setting record inputs etc. Everything else should be done on the mixer tracks at this point given we now have a Pyramix-style single shared mixer. Assuming your projects were set up correctly according to the pre-RCMASTER upgrade, you can simply press F7 (if horizontal) or F8 (if vertical) to auto-upgrade and add the new routing structure. Or, work off a previous version until you've completed your project.
Old 04-13-2024, 06:11 PM   #1108
voltronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmaha View Post
Yes, intentional. I've documented it in the thread. Basically, yes, you can always use one of the other themes like 6.x or Pyramix/Sequoia/SaDiE etc...no worries. However...the idea behind removing the track controls is to force the user to use the new mixer tracks for everything but track naming and record-arm and setting record inputs etc. Everything else should be done on the mixer tracks at this point given we now have a Pyramix-style single shared mixer. Assuming your projects were set up correctly according to the pre-RCMASTER upgrade, you can simply press F7 (if horizontal) or F8 (if vertical) to auto-upgrade and add the new routing structure. Or, work off a previous version until you've completed your project.
Thanks for your reply. I had missed that info.

Please pardon my ignorance: Not being familiar with Pyramix, I am struggling to understand the benefits of the mixer tracks and RCMASTER bus for horizontal editing workflow. What am I missing?

Thanks for your continued great work on ReaClassical!
Old 04-14-2024, 01:24 AM   #1109
chmaha

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. I had missed that info.

Please pardon my ignorance: Not being familiar with Pyramix, I am struggling to understand the benefits of the mixer tracks and RCMASTER bus for horizontal editing workflow. What am I missing?

Thanks for your continued great work on ReaClassical!
There are definite benefits for both workflows. The key one is the ability to control the volume, pan etc of the main pair (or whatever you have on the first track) independent of the other tracks. Previously, if you pulled the fader down on the parent, every child track was affected. That was solved via just adding RCMASTER and changing the track routing according (all automatic via a F7 or F8 sync). A single shared mixer is also a much better approach in terms of system resources when dealing with multiple sources especially with the use of FX - one instance versus potentially many.

But to your question about benefits of mixer tracks for a horizontal workflow, I valued a single experience given that quite a few people I've interacted with seem to use horizontal workflow for the recording and move to vertical for editing. As in, they start a project with F7 and then post-recording, press F8. It doesn't seem like good UX to be manipulating volume, pan, automation etc on regular tracks in one workflow but then on the mixer tracks for another.

To my mind it is also good to have a separate sense of mixer versus simply seeing the same regular track controls in two different places. I feel Pyramix got this right and I'm thrilled to be able to recreate this in ReaClassical.

Both workflows have their benefits and horizontal took on new life recently with the new robust take management window and find takes system I added. It simply comes down to user preference and the nature of the session. Plus, with the even more recent multi-tab S-D editing capabilities, you could have a sort of hybrid approach, using horizontal and/or vertical workflow in multiple tabs and doing S-D edits between them. Lots of possibilities at this stage!

Stay tuned for a minor but important update later this evening...

Last edited by chmaha; 04-14-2024 at 01:37 AM.
Old 04-14-2024, 08:06 AM   #1110
voltronic

Quote:
There are definite benefits for both workflows. The key one is the ability to control the volume, pan etc of the main pair (or whatever you have on the first track) independent of the other tracks. Previously, if you pulled the fader down on the parent, every child track was affected. That was solved via just adding RCMASTER and changing the track routing according (all automatic via a F7 or F8 sync). A single shared mixer is also a much better approach in terms of system resources when dealing with multiple sources especially with the use of FX - one instance versus potentially many.

But to your question about benefits of mixer tracks for a horizontal workflow, I valued a single experience given that quite a few people I've interacted with seem to use horizontal workflow for the recording and move to vertical for editing. As in, they start a project with F7 and then post-recording, press F8. It doesn't seem like good UX to be manipulating volume, pan, automation etc on regular tracks in one workflow but then on the mixer tracks for another.

To my mind it is also good to have a separate sense of mixer versus simply seeing the same regular track controls in two different places. I feel Pyramix got this right and I'm thrilled to be able to recreate this in ReaClassical.

Both workflows have their benefits and horizontal took on new life recently with the new robust take management window and find takes system I added. It simply comes down to user preference and the nature of the session. Plus, with the even more recent multi-tab S-D editing capabilities, you could have a sort of hybrid approach, using horizontal and/or vertical workflow in multiple tabs and doing S-D edits between them. Lots of possibilities at this stage!

Stay tuned for a minor but important update later this evening...
Thanks for that thorough reply. I'll have to dig into it a big more. Part of this is that I only use a fraction of what you have put into ReaClassical - I mainly use the 3/4-point S-D editing and crossfade editors on recordings from my field recorders.

Again, thank you. I look forward to the next update.
Old 04-14-2024, 02:04 PM   #1111
chmaha

Quote:
Thanks for that thorough reply. I'll have to dig into it a big more. Part of this is that I only use a fraction of what you have put into ReaClassical - I mainly use the 3/4-point S-D editing and crossfade editors on recordings from my field recorders.

Again, thank you. I look forward to the next update.
Glad you are finding those aspects useful. Let me know if you have any other questions.

In terms of the minor update I mentioned, that will have to wait until tomorrow.
Old 04-15-2024, 11:01 AM   #1112
chmaha

NEW: ReaClassical 24.14.4
  • Album Reports: Remove zero padding on hour
  • Add ext_state to special tracks
The minor update that does quite a lot under the hood. First, something of nothing: HTML and plaintext album reports drop the zero-padding for the hour given I'm adding AM/PM. Takes a bit of going around the houses to make that work.

Second, more importantly, special tracks such as mixer tracks ("M:"), aux sends (@), submixes (#), RoomTone and RCMASTER have a hidden ext_state added when created so that even if you accidentally drop the prefix when remaing (or try to rename mixer tracks that should be renamed via the first group in the arrange window track panels) will not cause any serious issues and on sync (F7/F8) will simply regenerate the prefix. Essentially as long as you don't delete the track, it can always be identified as a special track.

The question I have now is — how expensive would it be to run sync every time you audition? This would, for example, prevent erroneously renamed tracks even disappearing until a re-sync. It's all very well on my 16-core ryzen but on a Raspberry Pi it might not be good (or it might be equally trivial). I try to avoid too much overhead on playback/recording duties and at some point simply need to trust that people read documentation

Last edited by chmaha; 04-15-2024 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-16-2024, 10:30 AM   #1113
chmaha

Default One more thing...

NEW: ReaClassical 24.15
  • New: Move Tracks Up/Down in All Groups (Ctrl+Alt+Up / Ctrl+Alt+Down)
  • RoomTone: Fix naming in ext_state command
  • Add Track to All Groups: Add mixer track to avoid rebuilding entire mixer
  • Add missing submix to folder_check()
  • Add new keyboard shortcuts
NEW: ReaClassical 24.15.1
  • Move Tracks: Further refine message boxes
I wasn't quite done. I decided to tackle another set of new functions that will be useful. We already have Add New Track To All Groups (Shift+T). How about Move Track Up/Down in All Groups (Ctrl+Alt+Up / Ctrl+Alt+Down)? Give it a whirl by highlighting a child track in the first group Nicely complements the move album tracks left/right! Use the ReaClassical Updater to grab the new keyboard shortcuts.

Final, final new feature for 24.x will probably be Delete Track from All Groups given I can re-use some of the same logic. I'll update the PDF manual to reflect the new changes once that one is ready.

NEW: ReaClassical 24.16
  • New: Delete Track From All Groups (Ctrl+Shift+Del)
OK! Another new function to complete the set. Select a child track from the first group et voila! PDF manual will be updated in the next few days. If I can allow for the parent track to be involved in moving/deleting that would be great but AFAIK, it would involve a little bit of an as-yet-unknown workaround (as did deleting the final child track in the group).

Last edited by chmaha; 04-16-2024 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-17-2024, 04:30 AM   #1114
chmaha

NEW: ReaClassical 24.16.1
  • Move/Delete Track Within All Groups: Enable for horizontal workflow
  • Actually change order of mixer tracks versus just re-syncing the names
Now we're getting somewhere! The Add/Move/Delete Track stuff affecting all groups and mixer set now works for both horizontal and vertical workflows (important given we actually do need to deal with the mixer in both!). Finally, the mixer tracks now actually switch order when a track is moved as can be tested by applying some FX or custom routing to the track before running.

Probably this is a good opportunity to summarize these new features given that they are also now in the PDF manual (assuming Win/Linux modifier keys...replace with MacOS equivalents):

Add Track to All Groups (shift+T): No need to have a group or track selected. Just run, enter the desired name (could have a hyphen if you know that you want it disconnected from RCMASTER on creation). The track is added as the final child track in every group. Which means you could then...

Move Track Up/Down In All Groups (ctrl+alt+uparrow/downarrow): Select a child track and shift it up or down. Note that the mixer tracks are also affected as we require.

Delete Track From All Groups (ctrl+shift+del): Select a single child track and, hey presto, the track disappears along with its mixer track equivalent. In real life, err on the side of caution and save a version of your project before being destructive. During a recording session, it's perhaps better to lock the track controls as explained in the manual to be super safe.

Do let me know if you have issues with anything. I rely on feedback (both positive and bug-related). Use it and all the other ReaClassical features and don't be afraid to say if something doesn't feel like it works how you think I've said it should or if you think it could be done in a different and better way.

And, because I didn't add the blurb for the previous major release:

========

Last edited by chmaha; 04-17-2024 at 05:18 AM.
Old 04-17-2024, 05:11 AM   #1115
theorbe

Move Track Up/Down In All Groups (.....+alt+uparrow/downarrow): Select a child track and shift it up or down. Note that the mixer tracks are also affected as we require.

caution replace ctrl with md
theorbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 05:18 AM   #1116
chmaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by theorbe View Post
Move Track Up/Down In All Groups (.....+alt+uparrow/downarrow): Select a child track and shift it up or down. Note that the mixer tracks are also affected as we require.

caution replace ctrl with md
NEW: ReaClassical 24.16.2
  • PDF Manual: Add short placeholder text in "preliminaries" section about keyb shortcuts and OS

Thanks @theorbe. I've also added a note to the previous post re Win/Linux vs MacOS shortcuts. What happens on MacOS if you use ctrl by accident? In any case, I'll add these to the manual in a subsequent update for others' benefit: ctrl = cmd, alt = option and win = ctrl (but we don't use that in ReaClassical), shift is the same in all OSes.

Last edited by chmaha; 04-17-2024 at 05:29 AM.
Old 04-17-2024, 06:05 AM   #1117
theorbe

on Mac OS nothing happens if you do: ctrl+alt+uparrow/downarrow
Old 04-17-2024, 09:19 AM   #1118
chmaha

Quote:
on Mac OS nothing happens if you do: ctrl+alt+uparrow/downarrow
OK, good...that's what I would have expected. When you said "caution" in your previous post, I was worried it was doing something bad like deleting items/tracks etc given it could have been a REAPER-assigned shortcut combo
Old 04-17-2024, 09:54 AM   #1119
theorbe

Quote:
OK, good...that's what I would have expected. When you said "caution" in your previous post, I was worried it was doing something bad like deleting items/tracks etc given it could have been a REAPER-assigned shortcut combo
There may be some misunderstandings in what I write... That's because I use a translator as I'm unable to write in English.
Old 04-17-2024, 10:11 AM   #1120
chmaha

Quote:
There may be some misunderstandings in what I write... That's because I use a translator as I'm unable to write in English.
No worries! I hope that you enjoy exploring the new features...