CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 08-23-2017, 05:55 AM   #1
nosonic
Human being with feelings

Default Some more iPlug examples?

Hi!

here is a new one :-) I've just started with iPlug a couple of days ago using wdl-ol repo. It worked fine so far, at least I'm able to build examples and now I'm in process of checking these reading Audio Programming book in parallel...

I have a simple kind of sampler plugin in my mind to start with and looking for some more iplug examples:

a) an "audio player" class as well some visualisation component that shows you something similar you see on soundcloud.com.
b) peak/rms/(lufs) meters. Here I mean visual as well non visual libraries/classes.
c) spectrum analyser
d) filters
Is something similar existing already for iplug?

And more general:
Can you suggest a good "general" c++ audio library that everybody is using here? :-)
Are there any other cool examples or reposistories one must check?

I'm still very unsure if I want to go a JUCE way, despite quite high license costs. But I wanted to give a good try with iPlug first!

Thanks!
Alex
nosonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:40 AM   #2
bozmillar

I remember STK being a good resource when I was starting out. https://ccrma.stanford.edu/software/stk/

I personally don't like using other people's libraries because I like my code to all be formatted in a way that I can read and use it without having to look stuff up, and it's easier to make things work they way you want them to work when it's your own code. It just takes time to build up your own library of code. But something like STK is a really good place to start.

For filters, this is a great place to start: http://www.musicdsp.org/files/Audio-EQ-Cookbook.txt

Here's another good resource for code. It just has a ton of user submitted algorithms. Some can be useful, some not, but it's a good place to get ideas.

http://www.musicdsp.org/archive.php?classid=3

As far as going JUCE, it's not a terrible idea. It has a much larger user base, and the people running it have a financial interest in keeping it current. You can get JUCE and use it for free as long as you release your code. If you are going commercial, that $1000 licensing fee will be the least of your worries. I would happily pay $1000 for wdl if I knew it was going to help keep it alive and growing. The fact that wdl works as well as it does is pretty amazing considering how few people are making it happen.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:49 AM   #3
Youlean

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozmillar View Post
The fact that wdl works as well as it does is pretty amazing considering how few people are making it happen.
We will make WDL/IPlug alive for long into a future. The thing is that WDL is much easier to work than JUCE, or at least for me. I tried JUCE when I was starting and I couldn't understand a thing, so then I tried WDL-OL and I made my first plugin in one week. I got JUCE licence after winning the KVR developer challenge but I didn't even bother to install it on my PC...
Old 08-24-2017, 11:22 AM   #4
bozmillar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youlean View Post
We will make WDL/IPlug alive for long into a future. The thing is that WDL is much easier to work than JUCE, or at least for me.
My experience is the same. I've tried switching to JUCE a number of times, and I always come back to wdl. I just can't tell at this point if it's because I'm so comfortable with wdl or if it really that much easier to use.

I just worry a little bit that being completely free and open source and only really being held up by a couple of people, that when one person gets burned out, it can fall to dust quickly. I'd be completely happy if wdl decided to go the JUCE route and charge for pro licenses, in exchange for paying people to keep it running smoothly and adding features. That money could go to people creating more example projects, keeping things up to date, and all sorts of stuff.

It's not that wdl is doing a bad job of it now, it's just that it could collapse at a minute's notice due to just a couple people changing their focus. Also, it would help ease the guilt I feel every once in a while for being able to support a family off of someone else's hard work.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:02 PM   #5
Youlean

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozmillar View Post
My experience is the same. I've tried switching to JUCE a number of times, and I always come back to wdl. I just can't tell at this point if it's because I'm so comfortable with wdl or if it really that much easier to use.

I just worry a little bit that being completely free and open source and only really being held up by a couple of people, that when one person gets burned out, it can fall to dust quickly. I'd be completely happy if wdl decided to go the JUCE route and charge for pro licenses, in exchange for paying people to keep it running smoothly and adding features. That money could go to people creating more example projects, keeping things up to date, and all sorts of stuff.

It's not that wdl is doing a bad job of it now, it's just that it could collapse at a minute's notice due to just a couple people changing their focus. Also, it would help ease the guilt I feel every once in a while for being able to support a family off of someone else's hard work.
Indeed, WDL is very fragile, and this is the biggest disadvantage of it. Not sure what is the best strategy for keeping WDL alive. One of the most important thing is to have as much people on board as possible. That would benefit us all. I have plans how to make this happen, but we will see...

The biggest problem with WDL is to make people contribute to it. I have spent more than year implementing proper cairo support, gui resizing and live edit and for that time I could make couple of plugins instead, but I have vision how my plugins should work and that's why I decided to do all this things. Now, income for contributing to framework will encourage more people to contribute to it but how should this be handled? Who decides who did more work? This thing that I worked was nothing compared to years of Olis addons and not to mention Cockos... Only thing that comes to my mind is to people donate for framework that they are using. Or maybe to make team that will work on WDL, but then this team will need to be payed...
Old 08-24-2017, 10:43 PM   #6
nosonic

@bozmillar thanks a lot! :-)
Any chance you could point me to some routines or maybe ready classes for painting waveforms? Actually I'm looking for something to render a raw preview of a wav/mp3 files acound 5-10 mins long. So I can play it and show current position later.

Still playing with both iplug and juce. My first impression juce is helping you here and there. It is well engineered. For iplug you have to do almost everything from scratch. On the other hand, if you have all your stuff in place you don't need all these dependencies. You're not a hostage of a framework anymore ))).

So currently I would prefer to donate for iplug, but we will see...

PS:
yesterday I checked Youlean's repo. Had no problems at all building examples on Sierra with Xcode 8.

Last edited by nosonic; 08-25-2017 at 12:47 AM.
nosonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:07 PM   #7
Tale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youlean View Post
Indeed, WDL is very fragile, and this is the biggest disadvantage of it.
Is it, really? Zlib in being maintained by a single person (Mark Adler), and almost every piece of software I know (including IPlug, your internet router, etc.) depends on it. I think this is just how open-source software works. And with Git in a way we are all maintainers (of IPlug, zlib, etc.), right?

BTW, I also doubt that this is different for JUCE (I'd say its development depends largely on Jules Storer, and not so much on ROLI).
Tale is offline   Reply With Quote