Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 01-21-2018, 03:03 PM   #1
StevenJobs
Human being with feelings

Default Separate item and track volume settings

In short, setting the "volume/fader range" maximum to 0db in order to limit track faders max range to 0db means that there is no way (that I know of) to boost the gain of individual media items, because the range for the volume in the media item's setting becomes limited to 0db. There are a lot of practical reasons why it would be preferable to be able to boost the gain of a clip by an amount greater than one would prefer to set the maximum value for track faders, and in other DAWs that I have worked in, individual audio clip/item gain has always been handled separately from settings for track faders. In my particular case, I have to set the max fader volume to 0db as a workaround to limitations in Reaper's midi handling, but working with voiceover, I routinely need to be able to boost specific sections of the audio in order to have a good working gain pre-fx to start with. In practice, this means that I have to change the fader range setting back and forth while I am working.
StevenJobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 04:23 PM   #2
sisaso

Don't see this here. I suppose this happens with:Items volume control-Handle Top of Item is 0dB.
sisaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:53 AM   #3
nofish

^^ Also with this setting enabled you can hold Shift to go > 0dB.
Or set it to 'Knob' there instead of 'Handle'.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:17 AM   #4
Allspice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
^^ Also with this setting enabled you can hold Shift to go > 0dB.
Or set it to 'Knob' there instead of 'Handle'.
Yeah it took me a moment to figure out that Holding down Shift allows you to increase gain with the item volume handle. So I switched it to knob because it’s easier to see and adjust, in my opinion.

Does this solve your problem?
Allspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:45 AM   #5
StevenJobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allspice View Post
Yeah it took me a moment to figure out that Holding down Shift allows you to increase gain with the item volume handle. So I switched it to knob because it’s easier to see and adjust, in my opinion.

Does this solve your problem?
It works, though it is still the case that the volume fader in the item properties dialog is still tied to the same setting as track faders, which I still think is less than desirable. Knowing the tricks I learned from this thread make this more of a quirk than an issue, though.
StevenJobs is offline   Reply With Quote