Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 10-17-2018, 05:49 PM   #1
Xaos
Human being with feelings

Default Backup and Undo files no longer save into subdirectory as of 5.96

Running Mac OS X 10.10.5, REAPER64 5.96.

Since updating to 5.96 (possibly as far back as 5.95, but cannot confirm yet), backup and undo files no longer save to the relative path location set in the Project window of the application preferences.

This was working. I have tried deselecting it, applying the change, then activating it again. No joy. REAPER is saving all my backup and undo files in the project directory. Bad behavior!

Let me clarify, this is a path relative to the project file and it has worked fine in the past. Cannot confirm if this broke in 5.95 or 5.96, but will try it in 5.95 when I get back into town at the end of the week.

Can anyone reproduce this? Please tell me it's not just me!

Attached are images of the setting, and an example of a file I just saved.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BackupSettings.jpg (33.2 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg BackupLocattion.jpg (36.4 KB, 132 views)

Last edited by Xaos; 10-20-2018 at 10:46 PM.
Xaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:28 PM   #2
Justin
Administrator

Hmm I don't think the backups/undo files ever went into another path (that path specified there is for additional copies of the backup files).
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:47 PM   #3
Xaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Hmm I don't think the backups/undo files ever went into another path (that path specified there is for additional copies of the backup files).
They always did for me. REAPER would usually make one in the same directory as the project, but put subsequent copies in the folder specified. If an absolute path wasn't specified, it creates a relative path and would put backups and undo files there. This is the same behavior that the media file location setting uses. In fact, the "Backups" directory shown in the screenshot I attached was made by REAPER, not me.

It always worked before, with the exception of the first files it made, which I would just manually move into the "Backups" directory. Not a big deal. What is big deal is digging through dozens or potentially hundreds of .rpp.]-bak and .rpp-bak-UNDO files to find the project files. This is a recent break, and it's untenable! I'm working on a series of short clips for a film (mostly in RX) but between just the two project files that are sharing that directory, I've already had to manually move over 125 files into the Backup directory.

I love Cockos and REAPER, but this is an unacceptable break/bug. I've encouraged dozens, if not more, producers to switch from either ProTools, Logic, Cubase, or Studio 1 to REAPER. I'm downright evangelical about REAPER, but I can't play apologist over this one.

Come on, guys! This should be a ten minute fix, if not faster. Just copy and paste the code for the media file setting, switch the reference, write a quick comment line, and you're done. I'm pretty sure it's a least two revs old now. Can't confirm because I'm on a self-imposed vacation from audio work until tomorrow. :-D

Return the love, devs!
Old 10-20-2018, 10:49 PM   #4
Xaos

Is no one else having this issue? I'm surprised there are only crickets on this.
Old 03-09-2021, 01:32 PM   #5
MonkeyBars

+1

Very annoying bug. I thought this feature was added to Reaper a couple years back but it doesn't actually work. Other threads addressing this niggling bug:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....ckup+subfolder
MonkeyBars is offline   Reply With Quote