Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 05-09-2019, 01:54 PM   #1
DANIELE
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper very long loading times and freezes

I'm experiencing many serious issues with Reaper lately. I don't know if it is an update fault or whatever but loading old projects now is taking forever, fx chain window is opening slower, Reaper often hangs and freezes...

What's happening?

I'm mostly using Kontakt but it loads really really slower then ever...I never had this problems before..

Even Swam Instruments load a lot slower...

Last edited by DANIELE; 05-09-2019 at 02:38 PM.
DANIELE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 01:05 PM   #2
DANIELE

A little update, I tried it with a fresh installation of Reaper (deleted the folder REAPER in Appdata and started Reaper).

I have the same strange behavior loading Kontakt instruments, Kontatk itself seems to load fine but when I load instruments I see the progress bar, a little kontakt freeze and then the instrument UI appears.

This is a strange behavior because it not happens with standalone Kontakt, it load quickly and correctly in it.

I don't know where it started, I tried one or two older Reaper version and had the same behavior.
I installed VEP recently and I'm having many UI problems between Reaper and VEP, VSL guys told me that they are working on a fix...but...I'm not using it in this test.

I don't see a link between this strange behavior and VEP, I cannot think it acts on other plugin even if it is off.

I really don't understand what's happening.

This behavior cause my old (one month old) project loads in 10 minutes or more. Before it loaded in maybe 2-3 minutes.

Is there someone that could give me a hint or a tip to find a solution to this. Even a pure Reaper installation cause me this problem, I'm not able to find the solution, is there someone that could help me?

I'm on Windows 10 1809, the last update (as always) has caused me some troubles with Reaper not playing but I solved this by deleting the midi devices file and generating a new one.

Thank you.

EDIT

I tried to load it in VEP standalone and it works very well, so it's happening something in Reaper I don't know not depending on my configuration, maybe something on VSTs managing, I don't know.

Last edited by DANIELE; 05-11-2019 at 01:25 PM.
DANIELE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 01:27 PM   #3
akademie

Could you try to disable AntiVirus software for a test?

Maybe it is now checking all opening files, so when .NKS files are loaded by Kontakt VST they are scanned by AV and that is why it takes so long time now.
I don't know why it wouldsuch behavior now and not few weeks ago when it was fast but maybe some update made some weird settings. But it is worth trying I think.

EDIT: Oh I see that in Kontakt standalone it loads fast and also in VEP as you added note right now. Then I am not sure that AntiVirus may be to blame :-/
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 02:02 PM   #4
DANIELE

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
Could you try to disable AntiVirus software for a test?

Maybe it is now checking all opening files, so when .NKS files are loaded by Kontakt VST they are scanned by AV and that is why it takes so long time now.
I don't know why it wouldsuch behavior now and not few weeks ago when it was fast but maybe some update made some weird settings. But it is worth trying I think.

EDIT: Oh I see that in Kontakt standalone it loads fast and also in VEP as you added note right now. Then I am not sure that AntiVirus may be to blame :-/

I killed Windows Defender many time ago from the registry so it can't be the cause.

I checked already if it was re-enabled but it's not.

The strange thing is that I have not the same behavior with all the instruments.

I tried to load the same instrument in a kontakt instance on VEP7 standalone and it loads instantly.

There is something happening inside Reaper...maybe it is related also with the bug I'm having when I use VEP7 server.

This problem it is very hard to solve...
Old 05-16-2019, 02:10 AM   #5
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Try setting the Kontakt plug-in to save minimal undo states:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=72349

Also if it worked OK before, maybe you added more instruments/plug-ins (and sample libraries!) to the plug-in folder later? This could increase seek times, it's generally advisable to have sample libraries (or anything else that consists of many files) in a folder that's not part of the plug-in search path.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:16 AM   #6
DANIELE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
Try setting the Kontakt plug-in to save minimal undo states:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=72349

Also if it worked OK before, maybe you added more instruments/plug-ins (and sample libraries!) to the plug-in folder later? This could increase seek times, it's generally advisable to have sample libraries (or anything else that consists of many files) in a folder that's not part of the plug-in search path.

Thank you so much Ollie, I'll try this evening after work. I don't remember if the state is on or off in my actual configuration.

Maybe VEP is related with this strange behavior, there are similar bugs that affects NI products for other VEP users.

I need to understand what is the cause of this overall performance problem affecting my PC. I'll try with it and let you now here.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:42 PM   #7
DANIELE

Ehi Ollie, I did it but nothing changed, same behavior, slow to load and slow to show.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:00 PM   #8
uncleswede

Have you tried running a Kontakt Batch Resave?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt9z-7t6ODs
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 02:12 PM   #9
DANIELE

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleswede View Post
Have you tried running a Kontakt Batch Resave?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt9z-7t6ODs

Yes, many times.

I did it again on the libraries that has this strange behavior but nothing changed, I don't know why some libraries behave like this and some other not.

I'll keep testing to try to understand where the fault is.

You people keep suggesting me if something cames to your mind.

Thank you for your help.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:17 AM   #10
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

How exactly did you disable Windows Defender? Did you replace it with some other AV software? If you disabled WD via GPEdit, there's still a chance that you didn't disable the "Realtime Protection", that's quite easy to miss. Also, Windows is making it quite hard to disable WD permanently, it may have been turned back on secretly after some update, and the working steps to disable it keep changing...

It would've been better to simply create exclusions for all sample- plug-in- and whatnot- folders pertaining to the DAW, because this would keep the realtime protection out of them reliably, also if you replaced WD with some other AV scanner you need to create exclusions in that too.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:41 AM   #11
DANIELE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
How exactly did you disable Windows Defender? Did you replace it with some other AV software? If you disabled WD via GPEdit, there's still a chance that you didn't disable the "Realtime Protection", that's quite easy to miss. Also, Windows is making it quite hard to disable WD permanently, it may have been turned back on secretly after some update, and the working steps to disable it keep changing...

It would've been better to simply create exclusions for all sample- plug-in- and whatnot- folders pertaining to the DAW, because this would keep the realtime protection out of them reliably, also if you replaced WD with some other AV scanner you need to create exclusions in that too.

I don't have any other AV installed, I disabled WD from registry as a tutorial I found on internet (the only way to completely disable it).
I tried to add exceptions in the past but I still had some slow downs so I disabled it from the registry, I could check again if it is reenabled but I checked recently and it still was disabled.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:55 AM   #12
DANIELE

Checked: "Your virus & threat protection is managed by your organization". I really don't have anything else as AV so I think is not this.

I'm asking because I already tried all the thinks it gave me problems in the past, I tried everything that comes to my mind and still I can't find a solution.