Old 07-16-2018, 06:15 AM   #1
massyntesium
Human being with feelings

Default ReaVocode in real time (and also the fx)

Hey Guys,

I'm Edoardo and I'm new here.
I have a question for you. Now I use Reaper I found lots of funny stuffs to use, like fx, vocoder, editing, split etc.

One of the thing I notice is I have to first record the audio and after I could set fx on the track in real time. If I want to set the fx in real time in playback without recording audio first, how could I do?
Especially for reavocode and for voice in general is comfortable to set up all my stuffs before recording track without made a rec for try.
Also it will be useful for live contest (think about Kraftwerk)

I use a Scarlett 6i6 2nd generation, a PC3K8 Kurzweil, a Neewer nw-800 and, obviously, Reaper

Thanks for the help
massyntesium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:23 AM   #2
Amether

Do you have input monitoring ON? In the default skin, this is the little picture of the speaker next to the input channel selector.

Some FX such as ReaVerb and the Tuner aren't great for live work, but there are free vst ones out there too.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:40 PM   #3
massyntesium

Yes it works with record monitoring: I can listen fx in real time for voice effects like compressor, eq etc. Thank you

The only problem is the Vocoder. I create 3 tracks:

1) Mic (Modulator)
2) Synth (Carrier)
3) Vocoder (where all is melting into ReaVocode)

When I play and speak at the same time, nothing happens (I unpick master send for Mic and Synth). Voice Signal comes in the Vocoder Tracks, but the carrier one no! Where is the mistake?
Old 07-16-2018, 03:23 PM   #4
massyntesium

I found the solution: on the VOcoder Track, you have to select 4 channel input.Now the live is funny!
Old 07-17-2018, 02:49 AM   #5
massyntesium

Hey Guys,

I hope this little guide could help you to use the vocoder live.
First of all I want to thanks Amether for his help (so important) in this thread.

Now, how you can use the vocoder in live?

Reminding how to make vocoder you could use or two tracks or three tracks:

Case 2 tracks:
1) First track is the voice where you put the vocoder. In the routing option, on track channels select "4".
2) In the Second track put the carrier synth (I recommend sawtooth or a wave rich of harmonics) and in the Route Options add a send to the Voice Track in 1/2 -> 3/4 (don't forget to unpick master send)

Case 3 tracks (which I prefer):

As above, but with a new track:

1) In the 3rd track where you put ReaVocode, on the Route Options Select 4 track channels.
2) THe First Track is for voice, add from route options the send to the 3rd track 1/2 -> 1/2 (don't forget to unpick master send)
3) In the Second track put the carrier synth (I recommend sawtooth or a wave rich of harmonics) and in the Route Options add a send to the Voice Track in 1/2 -> 3/4 (don't forget to unpick master send).

Now this is the real part for the live vocoder.

First of all if you notice on the tracks there is a little buttons with a speaker named record monitoring (thanks again Amether). Click only on the one of the ReaVocode Track (case 2 tracks is the voice one, case 3 tracks is where you put only ReaVocode FX). After that to heard vocoding live you have to enlarge the track (the horizontal one) until you see a drop-down menù with input. Select from it the 4 channels input (it is useful also for select input from your audiocard).

Be careful with mic volume and also deactivate the direct monitoring from your audiocard to prevent to heard FX Vocoder and your natural voice.

THis method works for both MIDI Carrier and Audio Carrier (I tried with a PC3K8)

Don't forget to use some effects on the voice to normalize and to improve the quality, or vocoder should be too much low. Also use on the vocoder track, after ReaVocode FX a volume adjustement to have higer sound (BE CAREFUL).

Last Tip: PUT EVERY TIME THE MASTER LIMITER ON THE MASTER AND SET IT IMMEDIATELY. YOU PREVENT CLIPPING AND DISTORSION

I hope I help you. And sorry for my English
Old 07-19-2018, 02:05 PM   #6
massyntesium

I have to correct one thing: press the direct monitoring on the track with external sound (modulator and carrier), not on the vocoder one.