Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 09-11-2017, 06:17 PM   #1
toneguy86
Human being with feelings

Default Multiple takes showing up

For some reason all of my takes on most tracks have suddenly showed up, or at least in places. I figure it must be come view that I have brought up by accident as I was in the process of gluing all my final takes together. Is there a way to guarantee that my last takes on every track are what I see?

Part 2: I just assumed that when I recorded over a track, it was gone. How do I make it so that is the case (or if there are earlier takes how do I access them just in case). For me though, in most cases, I work until I have something I like. I have sections where I have "punched in" and fixed things too and in that case I will likely just delete any previous takes. Any help appreciated.
toneguy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:49 AM   #2
toneguy86

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneguy86 View Post
For some reason all of my takes on most tracks have suddenly showed up, or at least in places. I figure it must be come view that I have brought up by accident as I was in the process of gluing all my final takes together. Is there a way to guarantee that my last takes on every track are what I see?

Part 2: I just assumed that when I recorded over a track, it was gone. How do I make it so that is the case (or if there are earlier takes how do I access them just in case). For me though, in most cases, I work until I have something I like. I have sections where I have "punched in" and fixed things too and in that case I will likely just delete any previous takes. Any help appreciated.
Anyone? Why did all of my previous takes show up in sections of each track?
Old 09-13-2017, 08:55 AM   #3
Tod

Quote:
Hi toneguy86, Once you select the take you want, you should get rid of the the others. There are actions for all this that will do different things.

Open the actions list and type "take" into the filter. You will see a lot of listings and most will have nothing to do with what you want.

Also type "plode takes" in the filter and it will narrow it down a lot.

Quote:
If you don't want to record with takes, you should just delete the part you want to record over or replace.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:52 AM   #4
ashcat_lt

Come on, Tod, you can do better than this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Hi toneguy86, Once you select the take you want, you should get rid of the the others. There are actions for all this that will do different things.
To get rid of every take but the one you've selected, you want "Crop to active take". Simply gluing would do it, too, but that creates a whole new file.
Quote:
If you don't want to record with takes, you should just delete the part you want to record over or replace.
Or go to Options>New recordings that overlap...>Trim...(Tape Mode) and you shouldn't ever have to worry about it again.

And right there in the Options menu, you will also see the setting that started the thread: Show all takes... Maybe you accidentally hit Ctrl+L somewhere along the line?
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:20 PM   #5
toneguy86

That is entirely possible as I was just gluing a bunch of sections together in tracks. I had the shift key down and suddenly all these previous takes showed up. There was also some other strange stuff but I figured that out.

So far (besides this) Reaper seems to be working well. I don't need to do much fancy stuff, as my son is a master with pro tools and he does all of the detailed mixing and mastering stuff for me. I just need to get him decent, clean tracks. My evaluation process for this actually is completely recording one song start to finish. I just sent a rendered rough mix to my oldest son who is adding another solo and some other things. Great to be able to work with my boys.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:42 PM   #6
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Come on, Tod, you can do better than this.
Yeah, you're right ashcat, heh heh, I don't use it very often. I do use it for special things like creating samples. The takes system does have some problems/bugs.

I suggested the action list because there are several ways to deal with the takes, "Crop to active take" is just one of them. I guess you can right click on the items, and look under "Take", and most of the actions are right there.

Actually nearly all the actions I use for the take system are custom, for my special needs and I've got a toolbar set up just for that.

Quote:
I just sent a rendered rough mix to my oldest son who is adding another solo and some other things. Great to be able to work with my boys.
Heh heh, it don't get any better then that.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:00 AM   #7
toneguy86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Yeah, you're right ashcat, heh heh, I don't use it very often. I do use it for special things like creating samples. The takes system does have some problems/bugs.

I suggested the action list because there are several ways to deal with the takes, "Crop to active take" is just one of them. I guess you can right click on the items, and look under "Take", and most of the actions are right there.

Actually nearly all the actions I use for the take system are custom, for my special needs and I've got a toolbar set up just for that.

Heh heh, it don't get any better then that.
It does NOT get better than that. So proud of my boys.

I spent some time just watching videos and playing with things last night. I learned a lot and also discovered that I can use Control-L as a way to hide those previous takes as well.