Old 07-20-2018, 01:23 AM   #1
CDS
Human being with feelings

Default Protect Yourself from microsoft

check out Spybot Anti-Beacon

My system has much better performance without microsoft mal-wear, in my book if it is not mandatory for the os it is mal-wear.

Last edited by CDS; 07-20-2018 at 10:02 PM.
CDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:11 AM   #2
ivansc

You are not the only one to have discovered this. Lots of "Auntie Bacon" threads on here!

I ran it ages ago & it doesn`t seem to have made a huge difference but ymmv as always.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:49 AM   #3
CDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
You are not the only one to have discovered this. Lots of "Auntie Bacon" threads on here!

I ran it ages ago & it doesn`t seem to have made a huge difference but ymmv as always.
It eliminates the advertising that microsoft has included.
When win 10 attempts to send something to microsoft it gets sent to a local address instead.

I don't now why anyone would want there stuff on someone else's computer.
CDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:12 AM   #4
EvilDragon

I used it at a time but stopped using it. I notice absolutely no difference in performance with or without its fixes.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:24 PM   #5
sickamorz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDS View Post
check out Spybot Anti-Beacon

My system has much better performance without microsoft mal-wear, in my book if it is not mandatory for the os it is mal-wear.
Anti Beacon works great preventing all the malicious software that is forced on you by win10 from functioning.
sickamorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:01 PM   #6
Glennbo

I read an article a month or two ago where a guy setup a virtual Windows 10 on his Linux machine, then monitored the communications using Wireshark on the Linux box that was hosting the virtual Windows 10.

He took note of the servers being hit, then installed Anti-Beacon and re-ran the test. His results showed that Anti-Beacon did indeed stop quite a lot of the communications to many of the servers, but noted that some were still talking back and forth. He had IP addresses and tried blocking them with a HOSTS file, but Windows automagically ignores your HOSTS files for these and other M$ owned web servers.

I can confirm since switching to Linux as my primary OS that my HOSTS file, which I get from,

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

and use both in Windows and Linux, behaves differently in Windows than it does in Linux. In Windows I have no problem reaching sites like Bing, or MSN, but in Linux with the exact same HOSTS file those and others that M$ is behind either do not load at all, or load with messages about my ad blocker messing with them. I do NOT get these issues if I disable the HOSTS file in Linux, but in Windows the HOSTS file can be enabled and causes no problems, most likely due to what the article pointed out. That Windows maps some M$ owned sites such that you can't block them.

BTW, the HOSTS file is just a list of tens of thousands of sites that are either parasite trackers, adware hosts, and other bad stuff you don't really want your machine hooking up with while browsing. It re-directs requests for these sites to localhost. M$ evidently either owns or uses some of these entries on the bad guy list when you visit places like MSN and Bing, but while running Windows, they are NOT blocked, even though the HOSTS file instructs them to connect to localhost instead.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:35 AM   #7
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickamorz View Post
Anti Beacon works great preventing all the malicious software that is forced on you by win10 from functioning.
None of that software is malicious and it doesn't prevent you from functioning at all. Let's not be ridiculous here.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:43 AM   #8
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I read an article a month or two ago where a guy setup a virtual Windows 10 on his Linux machine, then monitored the communications using Wireshark on the Linux box that was hosting the virtual Windows 10.
If it's the article I think it is....

1. He was using a pre build from insider program.
2. The rest he simply got wrong.

Assuming it's the same article, I debunked it by tracing myself (I teach wireshark and deep network analysis).

Last edited by karbomusic; 07-24-2018 at 06:50 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:16 AM   #9
cyrano

It depends if you consider DRM malicious or not.

And both Apple and MS collect a lot of user data. Apple is (I hope) smart enough to keep this data private (as in Apple-only). MS clearly states that they will share your data with third parties.

Personally, anything that tries to collect my data without CLEARLY informing about what is collected, I consider malicious. Apple is on the edge. MS is over the edge, as far as I'm concerned.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:31 AM   #10
_Stevie_

I guess a router, where you can block all those hosts, would work here, right?
Old 07-24-2018, 07:40 AM   #11
serr

If something can get installed with no warning or telltale or if something can make a network connection with no echo or telltale... well, it sure LOOKS malicious!

Maybe it's innocently looking for clues for what to sell to people? There IS an innocence to that (at least in theory). Maybe someone decided that notifying the user of additional background running apps being installed or asking for permission was too confusing? Still, at the end of the day if something is installed unannounced or something tries to call home without asking and receiving permission, it's never OK. If it wasn't intended to be malicious, then someone needs to treat the "unannounced" part as a bug and fix it or you're going to be labeled malware.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:53 AM   #12
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
If something can get installed with no warning or telltale or if something can make a network connection with no echo or telltale... well, it sure LOOKS malicious!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post

It depends if you consider DRM malicious or not.

And both Apple and MS collect a lot of user data. Apple is (I hope) smart enough to keep this data private (as in Apple-only). MS clearly states that they will share your data with third parties.

Personally, anything that tries to collect my data without CLEARLY informing about what is collected, I consider malicious. Apple is on the edge. MS is over the edge, as far as I'm concerned.
Not about DRM as far as I know. Just read it so you are informed.

My point... knowledge (good or bad) is better than guessing.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:11 AM   #13
EvilDragon

Quote:
MS has Diagnostic Data Viewer which shows you exactly what's collected.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:13 AM   #14
serr

The real problem here is we considered these computer makers our personal audio tool makers for 20 years. They make products for people to just browse Buttbook now! Welcome to the modern world where professional computers are now niche DIY tools.

Aside, I believe my Applications folder is still free of any MS apps. (As is LaunchDaemons, Extensions, etc etc if someone want to be a wise guy!) Do I win a prize? Probably not because I'd have to allow something to call home and enter me in the drawing...
Old 07-24-2018, 08:17 AM   #15
lucas_LCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
None of that software is malicious and it doesn't prevent you from functioning at all. Let's not be ridiculous here.
What's ridiculous is he started a thread with one user name and then backed up his position with one of his 3 other user names.

Last edited by lucas_LCS; 07-24-2018 at 08:24 AM.
lucas_LCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:30 AM   #16
Valle

Oh ... people actually still "hate that darn micro suft"?

Does OP own a cell/mobile phone, I wonder ...
Old 07-24-2018, 09:15 AM   #17
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valle View Post
Oh ... people actually still "hate that darn micro suft"?

Does OP own a cell/mobile phone, I wonder ...
Wireshark tells me the Linux I'm running right now isn't talking to Microsoft every few seconds or to Canonical either!

Behold, the evolution of Windows. <g>

Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:40 AM   #18
cyrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
I guess a router, where you can block all those hosts, would work here, right?
Some routers have even worse security. But, yes, that would be the best approach. Open WRT comes to mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post

Maybe it's innocently looking for clues for what to sell to people? There IS an innocence to that (at least in theory). Maybe someone decided that notifying the user of additional background running apps being installed or asking for permission was too confusing? Still, at the end of the day if something is installed unannounced or something tries to call home without asking and receiving permission, it's never OK. If it wasn't intended to be malicious, then someone needs to treat the "unannounced" part as a bug and fix it or you're going to be labeled malware.
Apple's is about marketing and security. Apple is turning into a bank. It's their security, not yours. Evert password on your Mac can be saved, except your Apple account.

Besides, all traffic is encrypted. So you have to guess by size and time what they are siphoning.

It used to be innocent. But it's turning into a goldmine, fast. As a bank, Apple keeps all the data in-house.

An example as the not so innocent: A company can sell you a method to target ads to your spouse. They even suggest in their ad, that it's the way to get more sex from your wife.

Give that kind of marketeers broad data, even anonymized and they will do stuff that's not so innocent. The biggest danger are the aggregators, who buy info on the open market, throw it in a gigantic bucket and mine it. I used to run systems like that, 20 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Not about DRM as far as I know. Just read it so you are informed.
I ran a couple of Windows VM's a while ago, as I had an online network analyzer at hand atm. I remember seeing a connection to a RightMark server more than once. All of these were Win10, from different sources.

Quote:
My point... knowledge (good or bad) is better than guessing.
My question at the time was if Win 10 free and Pro were different. They are.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:00 AM   #19
tls11823

Quote:
An example as the not so innocent: A company can sell you a method to target ads to your spouse. They even suggest in their ad, that it's the way to get more sex from your wife.
I'm listening...
Old 07-24-2018, 10:04 AM   #20
karbomusic

Quote:
I ran a couple of Windows VM's a while ago, as I had an online network analyzer at hand atm. I remember seeing a connection to a RightMark server more than once. All of these were Win10, from different sources.
I wouldn't doubt DRM gets used for DRM protected content (that's what that is) but that would be a different subject than diag telemetry. I'm also not siding with anyone or anything, I just like accurate info or better favor more accuracy over less accuracy regardless of product or technology.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:40 AM   #21
AudioWonderland

My DAW's stay offline. Until they master comm over the A/C lines i should be good.... I still turn off what I reasonable can though...
AudioWonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 03:03 PM   #22
cyrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by tls11823 View Post
I'm listening...
LOL. It's 29$ a month. You need to smuggje a cookie into her phone (by sending her a URL to visit) and from then on, ads she sees on her phone will get you nookie.

At least, that's what they promise. If this is a scam, or real, is impossible to tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I wouldn't doubt DRM gets used for DRM protected content (that's what that is) but that would be a different subject than diag telemetry. I'm also not siding with anyone or anything, I just like accurate info or better favor more accuracy over less accuracy regardless of product or technology.
Me too. I like to know. But the state of OS docs is sad, really. Apple doesn't even bother anymore. Most stuff gets less and less documented. And MS has no real docs about what goes over the line.

Think about stuff like Intel's ME. The only raison d'être is DRM as business model. Intel could put a switch on it. They could provide a tool to disable/erase ME. But they don't.

I sometimes see stuff like that surfacing when connecting gear. As soon as you unplug the computer, it all behaves. Plug it back in and lose the picture on the projector.

I'm not suggesting Windows is sending pirate's info to the DRM folk, but they sure are sending the metrics. I've got no doubt about that.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:37 PM   #23
rothchild

Rather than just a hosts file (which windows tends to ignore anyway) the best way to help keep your connections clean (and to reduce the overall amount of bandwidth you're using) is to drop this; https://pi-hole.net/ on to an SBC (such as a raspberry pi) and set it up as the DNS server for your router (it's very straightforward).

The updside is that it's one list for all the machines on your network, currently my pi is blocking over 1M dodgy domains at the router (the dns requests for them don't even go out over the wire).

I find the best way to get it installed is using https://dietpi.com/
rothchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 02:11 PM   #24
Luster

Dumb question: wouldn't do O&O ShutUp10 do the job also?

I just installed Win10 this summer to run PT and this tool looked like a complete solution for the data-sensitive user of this OS.
Luster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:23 PM   #25
Tyrannocaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioWonderland View Post
My DAW's stay offline. Until they master comm over the A/C lines i should be good.... I still turn off what I reasonable can though...
Two tentacles up.
Tyrannocaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:41 PM   #26
MikComposer

This might be off topic, but it seams that recent updates cause more memory related crashes on my side.

Also, does any one of you know, which updates were rolled out for cpu vulnerabilities, that cold be removed ( and some of that lost processing cpu power restored)?

Any thoughts?
Old 07-25-2018, 03:52 PM   #27
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikComposer View Post
This might be off topic, but it seams that recent updates cause more memory related crashes on my side.

Also, does any one of you know, which updates were rolled out for cpu vulnerabilities, that cold be removed ( and some of that lost processing cpu power restored)?

Any thoughts?

You want InSpectre:
https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:54 PM   #28
peter5992

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioWonderland View Post

That used to be the golden rule, but some software needs to be authenticated online, and then there's upgrades of VSTs and software which is sooo much easier to do online (not just the latest version of Reaper but the large VSTs by NI and East West).

Not to mention the useful youtube music related videos with tutorials etc.

Just use your common sense and stay away from suspicious websites, use a virus scanner, don't open attachments to emails etc.

And if you want to protect your privacy from snooping advertisers, turn off cookies, clean your browser cookies, and use a VPN.
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:13 PM   #29
cyrano

One of the BSD's shot down HyperThreading completely for security. How's that for performance loss?
Old 07-27-2018, 03:54 PM   #30
CrimsonFlak

Heres a nice list of what/where connections are going to for those interested:

https://mspoweruser.com/these-are-th...-to-by-itself/
Old 08-05-2018, 01:05 AM   #31
Tubeguy

Anything that's tracking anyone's actions without their knowledge is stalking. Criminal offense.
Tubeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 03:49 AM   #32
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
Nice one.
Just downloaded. I'm expecting it to tell me my system is unpatched. I haven't done any MS updates since before the Meltdown and Spectre fiasco and don't plan to patch anything either. My system is working very nicely right now and I don't use it for anything other than studio purposes.
I have a good backup system in place so in the very unlikely worst case scenario that a software update (VST or any other studio application that I update online), infects my system, I'll just format everything and restore the backup.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:02 AM   #33
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDave View Post
Nice one.
Just downloaded. I'm expecting it to tell me my system is unpatched. I haven't done any MS updates since before the Meltdown and Spectre fiasco and don't plan to patch anything either. My system is working very nicely right now and I don't use it for anything other than studio purposes.
I have a good backup system in place so in the very unlikely worst case scenario that a software update (VST or any other studio application that I update online), infects my system, I'll just format everything and restore the backup.

With the latest versions you can disable the protection for a CPU boost.
I haven't done so so far but if a project starts to suffer it is nice to know it is an option.

Surprised Mik didn't come back with a comment on that.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:33 AM   #34
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
With the latest versions you can disable the protection for a CPU boost.
I haven't done so so far but if a project starts to suffer it is nice to know it is an option.
Yeah. I saw that. That's indeed a good option to have.
My preference is to not mess with something that is currently working well though, hence not installing the patches and updates.

It may not even be an issue to install the patches but I've read too many stories of people who had previously rock solid systems who've had issues after patching their systems. I'd rather run with the very slim chance that my system could be vulnerable to an attack. Given the amount of time this machine is online and the purpose of such online activity, the risk of vulnerability is far less of a concern than the risk of messing up a very stable system with something I don't need or want.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:55 AM   #35
serr

If you need to protect an audio workstation computer from someone gaining physical access to install malicious code because you also work for the CIA or something... Jeeze, just get yourself a 'work' computer for the high security stuff!

I don't know about Mircosoft but the high security features against physical access that Apple is doing aren't so much about selling their newer machines to CIA agents or C-level folks with business secrets worth millions but have everything to do with preventing physical access by a 3rd party repair center. It's delusional to pretend otherwise at this point.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:02 AM   #36
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDave View Post
Yeah. I saw that. That's indeed a good option to have.
My preference is to not mess with something that is currently working well though, hence not installing the patches and updates.

It may not even be an issue to install the patches but I've read too many stories of people who had previously rock solid systems who've had issues after patching their systems. I'd rather run with the very slim chance that my system could be vulnerable to an attack. Given the amount of time this machine is online and the purpose of such online activity, the risk of vulnerability is far less of a concern than the risk of messing up a very stable system with something I don't need or want.
Fair enough, if you don't need it to be online.....
The patches do knock CPU performance with an older CPU like my ye ole 2012 i7.

At first I had a few crashes after the patches in Reaper too. Seemingly stable now though. I have no idea if this is down to Reaper updates or Microsoft ones, or both.

We've all had these patches installed with no known instances of attacks. I wonder how many extra sales of newer CPUs Intel will get out of this vulnerability?
Old 08-05-2018, 08:35 AM   #37
hopi

you've all missed the REAL threat!

sure you have heard of AI, Artificial Intelligence, right?

but do YOU know about the top secret project, AS [Artificial Stupidity]?

It is a brain wave thing that slowly but surely changes one's mental abilities to reason and also changes one's mind set to be more stupid.

It is being distributed via cell phones and mobile devices... it is an almost inaudible tone that is the frequency used to alter one's brainwaves...

Every time one hears it, it's effect becomes increasingly cumulative, gradually increasing stupidity in the subject.

Ok... well you've been warned!
Old 08-05-2018, 10:10 PM   #38
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
you've all missed the REAL threat!

sure you have heard of AI, Artificial Intelligence, right?

but do YOU know about the top secret project, AS [Artificial Stupidity]?

It is a brain wave thing that slowly but surely changes one's mental abilities to reason and also changes one's mind set to be more stupid.

It is being distributed via cell phones and mobile devices... it is an almost inaudible tone that is the frequency used to alter one's brainwaves...

Every time one hears it, it's effect becomes increasingly cumulative, gradually increasing stupidity in the subject.

Ok... well you've been warned!
There might be a little more truth in this parable than many realise!
Old 08-06-2018, 08:21 AM   #39
sostenuto

Just a random comment to keep the pot stirred

(3) Desktop PC systems running here, (2) Reaper DAW(s). All have been on Windows10 Pro Insider Preview Program for years. A few minor hiccups some time ago, but nothing for many months.
My rationale has been to stay abreast of new features, but mainly to avoid massive changes when latest Update is introduced in Fall 2018.

Enjoying progress so far and looking forward. I am not ignorant or unconcerned about many legitimate concerns re. ( MS & Win10 ) but rationalizing options …. and there are none which I find acceptable.

This leaves me hoping MS has great success with Windows and that they flow freely to me and all Users.
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote