Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 01-27-2021, 02:24 AM   #1
matt07ie
Human being with feelings

Default Transposing key on finished song

Hi,finished a complete song, vocals rhythm bass midi drums and keyboards, only to now realise I should have sang my song a tone higher, so without restarting the whole process all over,
Is it possible to globally transpose the entire finished project easily in Reaper, or will I have to go through each of the track recordings
separately? Can anyone help here with this thanks, I did try one option I was told the shift + 0 and shift+9 tried on vocals and did make my vocal go completely weird and wobbly, so is there a way to change up or down key without this happening..
matt07ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 05:02 AM   #2
martifingers

Hi Matt. Of the top of my head I would say one easy option would be to do a mix of all the instruments and render it as a stereo pair. Reimport into a new project, use a plugin to raise the pitch and re-record the vocals in the new key.
Alternatively you could send all the instruments to a bus and apply the pitch plug-in to that.
I am guessing the choice would be down to how heavy a load the plug-in places on your CPU - I think pitch shifting can do that.

The "wobbliness" may be down to just that. Is it still wobbly if you render the track?
The other issue is the quality of the plug-in. In my experience no plug-in is totally convincing with large pitch shifts (say more than 6 semi-tones?) but some are better than others with Melodyne often cited as one of the best. I think you can get a demo of it to try but for small shifts (2 semi-tones?) and in a mix, Reapitch may be fine. This also looks promsiing maybe : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_al9aHLkoJU
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:19 AM   #3
toleolu

Is there some reason you can't re-record the vocals in the correct tone/key? Is the tone/key outside your vocal range?
Old 01-27-2021, 08:38 AM   #4
matt07ie

Hi,I just want to say thank you for quick replies, to martifingers I did not render after applying the shift+9 method,due to the weird sound on my vocals, but I will try your suggestion,
I have no problem with my singing range, usually I would sing way higher, but this time I laid back and think I just laid back just a tad too much,
Old 01-27-2021, 09:33 AM   #5
jrk

Odd. shift+9 (by default) shifts down one semitone?

Anyhoo, it's worth noting that the choice of pitch shift algorithm can make a big difference. You might find that selecting "elastique 3.x soloist" works best for vocals.

For other instruments, maybe "Pro". Avoid pitchshifting drums (so probably best not to do it on a full mix).
Old 01-27-2021, 11:25 AM   #6
matt07ie

Shift+9 or shift+0 which ever is up or down, soon as I heard the vocal I said that's it lol and left well alone,so let's be honest I think to sort this is to go back and redo the vocals keyboards bass guitar and this time sing in the key I'm happy with, it's a pain but best cure, I'm a newbie, but you learn as you go, thanks so much to all, stay safe, ill be back