Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 02-03-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
zardoz
Human being with feelings

Default Alesis i04 not showing up in Reaper

My Alesis i04 doesn't show up in Reaper at all. However, it does show up in ASIO4all, which in turn is recognized by Reaper. This would be fine, as the box has better latency with ASIO4all anyway, but it only allows one audio path at a time; whatever audio application gets started first takes control of the Alesis, which is kind of a problem; I'm doing preproduction and working on guitar sounds, so it's nice to fire up YouTube and compare sounds to whatever I like.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:55 AM   #2
V'ger

Are you sure you have installed the Asio drivers correctly? Do they show up in any other hosts like Savihost or Minihost?
V'ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
Swamp Ape

This seems to be a peculiarity of the Alesis interfaces - Reaper does not like sharing it with other programs. You can open your browser, watch a video or whatever, and close it and reaper will still work, but you'll have to re-open and close it every time. Same with any other audio related program. I haven't found a way around it, but I usually have everything else closed when running reaper anyway.

I don't know why the asio isn't showing up but as you said you're better off with asio4all anyway.
Swamp Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:45 PM   #4
zardoz

Thing is though, it's just not showing up at all . . . Reaper recognizes no such device.

I'm gonna declare this one "solved by technicality" though, as the i04 is making a very loud 60-cycle hum and is going back to the shop pronto. Frankly I only bought it so I could resort to Linux as a fallback but let's face it, that's crazy-talk. Linux never makes anything easier. ; )
Old 02-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #5
RunBeerRun

I think those Alesis units are w/o ASIO drivers, I know the IO Express was, so to see it in Reaper it'd be in Directsound or under Asio with Asio4all, once you installed that.

As for the hum, if you hook a computer up to any monitors or amplifier there'll be a ground loop hum, is that it? There are a ton of ways around it, I use the Behringer Hum Destroyer.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:12 PM   #6
zardoz

Just in case anyone came here with a similar problem, I got a reply from Alesis. They never answered why the i04 doesn't show up in Reaper, but did provide a workaround:

Some users have overcome by trying steinberg's 'asiomulti' with ASIO4ALL running "inside" of it.

1. Install asiomulti.
2. Start up the asiomulti server and make sure it is using ASIO4ALL as the target driver.
3. Start up the 1st application, set output to "ASIO Client" (the asiomulti virtual device).
4. Close the 1st application.
5. Start up the 2nd application, set the output to "ASIO Client".
6. Configure the 2nd application to use the same sampling rate and bit depth as the 1st application.
7. Start up the 1st application again and you should be good.

RunBeer, thanks for the tip re. ground loop, I am indeed connected to a monitor. I'll try working this stuff out tonight . . . like an idiot I bought the unit on a 30-day trial, then spilled coffee all over the manual & software pouch, so I guess it's mine now. ; )
Old 02-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #7
Swamp Ape

Interesting, I've not seen an actual solution to this before. Did you try it?

I never got a 60 cycle hum off mine, and I've got two monitors and a sub woofer hooked up. I wonder what you're doing differently...

Last edited by Swamp Ape; 02-05-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Swamp Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #8
zardoz

To be honest I just hooked up my ole Steinberg Ci1 instead. I'm partway thru preproduction so if something doesn't work it's back to the tried and true pretty quick. Just occurred to me though, the Alesis uses an AC adapter, which I had plugged into an extra power outlet on the back of my amp . . . pretty much begging for ground-loops, should've thought of that.

If/when I figure all this out, I'll post the results.

What I'd really like to know is, Why doesn't the Alesis show up under Audio Devices in Reaper? Alesis dodged that question, curious if it's just me?