Old 05-20-2007, 09:46 PM   #1
Synn
Human being with feelings

Default n00b midi question

OK so I'm a total n00b to Reaper and music production, I need a little help getting midi tracks to play.

I am inserting a multi-track midi file onto my timeline and assigning VSTi instruments to each track, but I only get audio coming out of the first track, subsequent tracks produce no audio.

I am arming the record button on each track, and assigning the VSTi using the FX button. I have tried many of the Input/Output setting on the tracks but I can't find the right settings to make them play.

If someone can help me get the settings right I would appreciate it.

Let me know if I need to post more info.

Thanks.
Synn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:29 AM   #2
Rann

Hi Synn,
I ran into this last month trying to import a midi file. Here's a screenshot with as much detail as I could get.

My vsti's consist of multiple instances of sfz.

Hopefully this will help.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...er/midiout.png

(Edit)
the midi file is divided into 9 tracks numbered 1-9, which isn't apparent from looking at the screenshot

Last edited by Rann; 05-21-2007 at 09:34 AM. Reason: added afterthought
Rann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:36 PM   #3
alex zonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synn View Post
OK so I'm a total n00b to Reaper and music production, I need a little help getting midi tracks to play.

I am inserting a multi-track midi file onto my timeline and assigning VSTi instruments to each track, but I only get audio coming out of the first track, subsequent tracks produce no audio.

I am arming the record button on each track, and assigning the VSTi using the FX button. I have tried many of the Input/Output setting on the tracks but I can't find the right settings to make them play.

If someone can help me get the settings right I would appreciate it.

Let me know if I need to post more info.

Thanks.
Synn, there's no need to arm record buttons in order to hear VSTi's play the midi files on track. After importing a multi-channel MIDI as seperate tracks, it should be enough to drag 'n drop VSTi's from the FX Browser on the various tracks to make them perform the song/MIDI sequences, after hitting the play button.

What VSTi's are you loading? Note that there will be a different MIDI channel on each track. Are these VSTi's that require selecting an input channel, or selecting a preset before producing any sound?
alex zonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 11:06 PM   #4
Synn

Hey guys thanks a lot for the replies.

Rann - Thanks for the pic, I'll match my settings to it and see if it works.

alex - Thanks a lot for the suggestions, I didn't know I could drag a VSTi onto a track. I have tried with several different instruments, all of them work fine on track 1 but no sound on any other tracks. The VSTi I have been wanting to use most is EWQL Colossus with various instrument presets. Yes I have to select a preset before I get sound on this VSTi.

I don't know about selecting midi input channels for the VSTi's, I didn't mess with that yet. Should I be selecting a different channel for each track?

Thanks.
Synn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 04:00 AM   #5
alex zonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synn View Post
I don't know about selecting midi input channels for the VSTi's, I didn't mess with that yet. Should I be selecting a different channel for each track?
Normally there's no need to. But say in Sampletank you need to have an instrument loaded on the right channel to hear anything. The same would be true for a VSTi like Hypersonic I guess. Don't know Colossos in that respect.
alex zonder is offline   Reply With Quote