Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 12-22-2016, 07:52 AM   #1
MRMJP
Human being with feelings

Default More Intelligent Finding Of Files When A Project Is Moved

When I'm done with a mastering project, I move it over to a different archive hard disk. Sometimes I need to reopen the REAPER session after the entire project folder has moved. I move the entire folder so the folder and it's subfolders all stay intact the same way, the main folder is just in a different location.

The REAPER session is a subfolder within that main folder. All the files REAPER needs are within this main folder in the same arrangement so it should be simple. It's not messy.

It seems that I always have to help REAPER find the first file before it can figure out where the rest of the files are now located.

Is there any way to add ability for REAPER to reconstruct the session even though it's been moved to a new drive without having to help it out?

Last edited by MRMJP; 12-22-2016 at 07:59 AM.
MRMJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 04:39 PM   #2
mlprod

I think Prefs/Project/Save projects with relative paths names does exactly this.
mlprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 09:35 PM   #3
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlprod View Post
I think Prefs/Project/Save projects with relative paths names does exactly this.
Thanks. I'll try this when I get back to it next week.
Old 12-25-2016, 01:14 AM   #4
uncleswede

If you use Melodyne on any tracks, by any chance, make sure you render them to new tracks before you save the project elsewhere, otherwise you may lose the melodyne edits
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:38 AM   #5
MRMJP

Quote:
It turns out I already had this option turned on. However, if I move an entire folder containing a REAPER project to a new hard disk, I have to help REAPER find the first missing file before it can locate the rest.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:05 PM   #6
MRMJP

I figured out what's going on here. REAPER can find the files I recorded which logically end up in the Audio Files subfolder for the project.

What REAPER can't find is any associated files that are not in the Audio Files subfolder but still remain in the same relative place of the main folder that the project is in.

For example. Each project of mine has this folder structure:

Artist Name>Project Name

From there, there are other subfolders. One is a subfolder of the original source files that get loaded into my REAPER sessions for mastering. Then there is the REAPER project folder itself and some others.

My point is, not all the files for my REAPER session live in the Audio Files folder that REAPER creates for each project.

However, the files are still in the same relative place as far as the main folder of the entire project.

It would be nice if REAPER could understand this when I go to open a project after it's been moved to my archive drive.

In other words, the entire project is on a new drive but nothing about the relative folder structure has changed. All REAPER knows is that the hard drive name/location has changed and it has a problem with that.
Old 11-24-2017, 04:45 PM   #7
mlprod

This has never been a problem for me. But if I understand your post right, you have files belonging to the project in a folder which are not below the project file.

The solution being that you must have the RPP in the very top level folder of the project, otherwise the relative thing wont work. Reaper cant know what is going on above its project file.
Old 11-24-2017, 04:47 PM   #8
MRMJP

Quote:
This has never been a problem for me. But if I understand your post right, you have files belonging to the project in a folder which are not below the project file.

The solution being that you must have the RPP in the very top level folder of the project, otherwise the relative thing wont work. Reaper cant know what is going on above its project file.
Maybe I'll think my file structure system but right now, the main project folder and the source files folder are at the same level. This is because they're not reaper recordings, they are files that have been sent to me.

I guess you're right that REAPER can't see files that are at the same or higher level than the main folder the RPP file is in.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:27 PM   #9
mlprod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMJP View Post
Maybe I'll think my file structure system but right now, the main project folder and the source files folder are at the same level. This is because they're not reaper recordings, they are files that have been sent to me.

I guess you're right that REAPER can't see files that are at the same or higher level than the main folder the RPP file is in.
Yep its has to be in the same actual folder or below.