Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2018, 06:10 AM   #1
GoldenDeathMusic
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 15
Default New Song featuring real tape delay, tanpura, sax and fuzzrite

https://goldendeathmusic.bandcamp.co...motion-forever

I made some recent additions to the studio and this is the first song I was able to integrate the majority of them into. Most notably, I finally was able to acquire a real tape delay (T-Rex Replicator Jr.) after a lot of time of not having one. I have owned 2 or 3 vintage RE-201's over the years, and had forgotten how amazing real tape sounds! I also just started learning the sax and the tanpura, and have really been enjoying the extra variety of sounds these new instruments have afforded me. Also, after nearly a decade of reading people online rave about the SM7, I finally got one for myself and have been loving the sound of my voice and sax recorded through it. Signal chain for everything you hear is a Rode NTR or the SM7---> UA Twinfinity---> Golden Age Comp-2A---> Tascam UH-7000 using Reaper. All guitars, bass and synth are recorded direct through the same signal chain.

Hope someone out there enjoys!
GoldenDeathMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:08 AM   #2
zeekat
Human being with feelings
 
zeekat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Polandia
Posts: 1,988
Default

You can reliably guess the genre by the gear list alone. Great dirty psych jam and production is totally pro.
__________________
my soundclouds+youtubings
zeekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:11 AM   #3
GoldenDeathMusic
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
You can reliably guess the genre by the gear list alone. Great dirty psych jam and production is totally pro.
Haha, yeah...not many tanpura rap or country jams....

Thanks though, I appreciate the listen! All the best to you and your own music.
GoldenDeathMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:19 AM   #4
dave_t
Human being with feelings
 
dave_t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 55
Default

Trippy! I like it. What is the synth (the high monosynth line)?
dave_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:24 AM   #5
GoldenDeathMusic
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_t View Post
Trippy! I like it. What is the synth (the high monosynth line)?
Thanks for listening and glad you dig it! The synth is a Pioneer AS-1. A relatively underappreciated and current production analog monosynth designed by Dave Smith. I've owned a lot of analog synths and think this is one of the best sounding ones to come out in recent years, though it has relatively limited control knobs. It gets a lot of use in my live set these days as well, controlled by a Behringer foot controller while I play guitar and sing.
GoldenDeathMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:31 PM   #6
Calaban
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 131
Default

Sounds great man. I really dig it. Slight Tame Impala influence?

Curious about the drums.....live or VSTi?
Calaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:06 PM   #7
GoldenDeathMusic
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaban View Post
Sounds great man. I really dig it. Slight Tame Impala influence?

Curious about the drums.....live or VSTi?
Thanks a lot for listening! I like Tame Impala and love the album Lonerism. I was actually kind of depressed when it first came out because I feel like he made the album I'd been trying to make for the last ten years haha. More than anything I'm a big fan of 60's and 70's prog and garage/psych-rock.

Drums are Addictive Drums 2 (VST) with some tambourine and one of those mini cajon shakers thrown in the mix. That's been my go to these days as my recording environment doesn't really permit an actual drum set. Pretty much everything else is a real instrument though. I do use Addictive Keys for piano and rhodes sounds, however, which I can also heartily recommend.
GoldenDeathMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:22 PM   #8
Calaban
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 131
Default

Cool thanks for the update. I also use VSTi drums in my little home studio productions...BFD3, a bunch of EZ Drummer kits, Abbey Roads 60ís Drummer. Plus tons of other virtual instruments for keys (which I canít really play but I can do a half decent mock-up.) I do play my own guitar parts however.

My band (which has both a real drummer and keyboardist) is also way into 60ís and 70ís prog/folk/psych

Digging your sound man.

Check us out if you get the chance!

https://youtu.be/74mdilcaeik
Calaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:05 AM   #9
GoldenDeathMusic
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaban View Post
Cool thanks for the update. I also use VSTi drums in my little home studio productions...BFD3, a bunch of EZ Drummer kits, Abbey Roads 60’s Drummer. Plus tons of other virtual instruments for keys (which I can’t really play but I can do a half decent mock-up.) I do play my own guitar parts however.

My band (which has both a real drummer and keyboardist) is also way into 60’s and 70’s prog/folk/psych
Wow, I clicked with the intention of quickly checking out a song and got sucked into listening to the entire album! Very cool stuff you guys are doing. It initially reminded me of Dungen, ever heard of them? Tons of cool prog influences are evident though, and you guys are certainly putting your own spin on it. Thanks so much for sharing this! You've definitely gained a new fan.

And yeah, I 've used Abbey Roads 60's kit as well but ended up settling on Addictive Drums 2 because of the variety and great sound. Ideally I would be playing a real kit but I'm limited by budget and space - my last setup was in the kitchen space of my studio apartment so I had to unplug the interface every time someone wanted to microwave a burrito Though I would rather record in the worst possible environment than not record at all.
GoldenDeathMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:02 AM   #10
L_Grizzle
Human being with feelings
 
L_Grizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 163
Default

Sounds fantastic! I have addictive drums, but can never really get them to sit great in a mix - hearing how well yours do, I definitely just need to spend some more time working with them.

Great stuff!
L_Grizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:51 AM   #11
GoldenDeathMusic
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_Grizzle View Post
Sounds fantastic! I have addictive drums, but can never really get them to sit great in a mix - hearing how well yours do, I definitely just need to spend some more time working with them.

Great stuff!
Thanks! Do you have addictive drums 2? I found the second version to be a big improvement, and I really liked the first one. I usually use Magnetic (Tape Sim/Saturation plug-in)on the master drum bus to help get it to sit well in the mix, and do a little mixing within the AD2 mixer to help balance the various sounds out.
GoldenDeathMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:46 PM   #12
L_Grizzle
Human being with feelings
 
L_Grizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenDeathMusic View Post
Thanks! Do you have addictive drums 2? I found the second version to be a big improvement, and I really liked the first one. I usually use Magnetic (Tape Sim/Saturation plug-in)on the master drum bus to help get it to sit well in the mix, and do a little mixing within the AD2 mixer to help balance the various sounds out.
Thanks for the tip! I'm almost positive that I've got addictive drums 2 (but it's been a while since I've used it, so I could be mistaken). Who makes magnetic? I've got a few tape/saturation plugs (waves j37 being my go-to). I'll for sure be playing around with that, I'm not sure why I never put that together - seems so obvious.
L_Grizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:51 PM   #13
GoldenDeathMusic
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_Grizzle View Post
Thanks for the tip! I'm almost positive that I've got addictive drums 2 (but it's been a while since I've used it, so I could be mistaken). Who makes magnetic? I've got a few tape/saturation plugs (waves j37 being my go-to). I'll for sure be playing around with that, I'm not sure why I never put that together - seems so obvious.
Nomad Factory makes Magnetic. I have both Magnetic I and II which my brother gave me after he won all the Nomad Factory plug-ins on some online contest and didn't want them, but for whatever reason I prefer the first one on the drum bus. I also have been experimenting with Slate Virtual Tape Machine on the master bus. The song from this post is actually the first time I ever tried that.
GoldenDeathMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:48 PM   #14
Calaban
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenDeathMusic View Post
Wow, I clicked with the intention of quickly checking out a song and got sucked into listening to the entire album! Very cool stuff you guys are doing. It initially reminded me of Dungen, ever heard of them? Tons of cool prog influences are evident though, and you guys are certainly putting your own spin on it. Thanks so much for sharing this! You've definitely gained a new fan.

And yeah, I 've used Abbey Roads 60's kit as well but ended up settling on Addictive Drums 2 because of the variety and great sound. Ideally I would be playing a real kit but I'm limited by budget and space - my last setup was in the kitchen space of my studio apartment so I had to unplug the interface every time someone wanted to microwave a burrito Though I would rather record in the worst possible environment than not record at all.
Oh wow man....thanks for the kind words and for listening to the whole record!

The songwriter/singer/keyboardist and I are huge Dungen fans. Probably my favorite rock band at the moment. Super creative guys. I needed to stop listening to them for a while lol.

Burritos will have to wait....there is prog rock to be made!

Best of luck and Iíll be sure to check out some more of your songs.
Calaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:56 PM   #15
Calaban
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenDeathMusic View Post
Thanks! Do you have addictive drums 2? I found the second version to be a big improvement, and I really liked the first one. I usually use Magnetic (Tape Sim/Saturation plug-in)on the master drum bus to help get it to sit well in the mix, and do a little mixing within the AD2 mixer to help balance the various sounds out.
Curious...do you send each AD2 channel out into itís own channel in Reaper, or just use the AD2 mixer/FX?

I have been doing both with BFD3 and AR60 but Iím not convinced I have to, especially with BFD. The mixer and FX are pretty comprehensive.

But sometimes I just want to run them through some other plugins....mostly Soundtoys 5 stuff.

Just curious....love the roomy sound youíre getting.
Calaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:58 AM   #16
GoldenDeathMusic
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaban View Post
Curious...do you send each AD2 channel out into itís own channel in Reaper, or just use the AD2 mixer/FX?

I have been doing both with BFD3 and AR60 but Iím not convinced I have to, especially with BFD. The mixer and FX are pretty comprehensive.

But sometimes I just want to run them through some other plugins....mostly Soundtoys 5 stuff.

Just curious....love the roomy sound youíre getting.
I just have one track dedicated to AD2 in 99% of my sessions. The only reason I could see myself wanting to do otherwise is if I wanted to add a vst effect to a specific part of the kit, but I'm pretty happy with the sound I'm getting and the ability to mix/add effects in the native AD2 mixer. I already have tons of tracks in a any given session as is, so it would just be increasing the clutter by having dedicated channels for each part of the kit. One thing I have been doing recently though is manually playing a Korg Volca Beats drum machine (or a djembe or white noise oscillator on my analog synth) to reinforce the snare and add a little variety to the sound. I also have a couple real cymbals/cymbal like percussion things that I use instead of/in addition to the AD2 cymbals sometimes. But yeah, the only fx I add to the drum kits are mild compression (URS 1975, if I want more of a punchy sound) and the aforementioned Magnetic. Now that I have a real tape delay again, though, I will probably be experimenting more with that on the drums for some dubbed out sounds...it is kind of relatively lo-fi, but I love this new T-Rex Replicator Jr. I recently purchased. Sometimes I just use it to bounce the track to tape and don't even use that much delay in the signal - it really adds a cool depth and chorusy effect to tracks I had recorded before buying the T-Rex. It's what I did with the sax and voice on the song from this thread.
GoldenDeathMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 06:28 AM   #17
GoldenDeathMusic
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 15
Default New Video for the Song

Just finished this the other day
Hope you like it!

https://youtu.be/ABIJyWkjgg0
GoldenDeathMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:27 AM   #18
4ong
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Andorra
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenDeathMusic View Post
Just finished this the other day
Hope you like it!

https://youtu.be/ABIJyWkjgg0
It's cool! Feelings of Popol Vuh vs early U2
4ong is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.