Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 08-06-2015, 09:42 AM   #401
tgraph
Human being with feelings

I heard they tried naming the email app Bono but ran into licensing problems...
tgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:42 PM   #402
dea-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgraph View Post
I heard they tried naming the email app Bono but ran into licensing problems...
That's because had they used that nomenclature they would have had to indicate registration like this:

Bono(R)
Old 08-07-2015, 12:11 PM   #403
SmajjL

OEM licenses will pretty much line up with the 3 year thing anyway as Swedish kids upgrade their motherboard in that rate (crazy people) so no change for (some) and MS is not going all charity yet even if they would like for us to assume this.

SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 11:50 PM   #404
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
OEM licenses will pretty much line up with the 3 year thing anyway as Swedish kids upgrade their motherboard in that rate (crazy people) so no change for (some) and MS is not going all charity yet even if they would like for us to assume this.
Windows will make money selling rights to 3rd parties to build windows devices, and to offices, and they want to gain market share in phones and with bing.

So, it's not a problem for them to give away windows, in order to get everyone to use an OS, that is designed to get people to use these things a lot more.

They invested a lot of money in creating these things. Giving windows away is an effective way to get people to use them, and provide them with profit from that investment, at a fraction of the cost.

Right now, giving windows 10 away for free as an upgrade to everyone that has windows already, is the most profitable thing they could ever do.

Certainly not charity. But I won't complain.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:08 AM   #405
SmajjL

No complains here either i'm exited to join the future of stuff and what's ahead of us.
Even if I myself Must buy boxed OEM now if.. I find an English version since Cortana does not speak Swedish yet and I, don't like to read Swedish in computer terms.
Just more practical to go English straight up.

So everything is as before only, a minor upgrade since 3.1, might come as a shock for some with all this stuff?
Windows 8 told me enough about their future plans and all that, i'm personally fine as long as it stays for what it is intended for, business and for services to function.
Not perfection for everyone I know, I know..

Old 08-09-2015, 07:52 AM   #406
Jae.Thomas

I'm quite happy with win10... it's on all... six of my capable devices atm...

my studio pc has some of the same permissions issues that I get every time I upgrade to a new windows system... but I'm coming from XP originally with some of these folders so I let it slide and spend a little time changing the permissions and sorting out some of the rough edges.
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:49 PM   #407
Stringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post

my studio pc has some of the same permissions issues that I get every time I upgrade to a new windows system... but I'm coming from XP originally with some of these folders so I let it slide and spend a little time changing the permissions and sorting out some of the rough edges.
I have been reading various forums, audio and techie, about windows 10. The mainstream sites like CNET and PC Mag, seem very positive, but the comments in response to the articles seem very negative. There are posts that are in line with what Jason says above, that transition was fairly seamless and no difficulties of great consequence occurred. However, there are lots of posts about problems great and small. Even allowing for the tendency that people with problems are more likely to post than people who are in bliss, it seems like the consensus is that Win 10 is not really ready.

Then there are the privacy concerns. Mainstream sites tend to say that there is no such thing as privacy anymore, so give it up. I am not quite ready to give up. If I chose to install Win 10, I would turn all of this stuff off, disabling many or most of the "features" of the upgrade. In that case, why upgrade?

Then there are the practical issues of automatic upgrades. Even if it is true that Win 10 Pro users have some control over this, it seems like an ongoing problem for mission critical projects.

Then there are the ethical issues. Microsoft snuck GWX.exe onto our systems. It required some knowledge and research to understand and eliminate. This creates trust issues that make it hard to accept Win 10's automatic updates.

Is this the kind of OS we want? Is this the kind of company we want to deal with? But maybe this question is moot. We have to deal with Microsoft, Apple, Google, or Linux, and they all have their problems.

I am glad that Jason and others are not having big problems. Work is getting done. But I don't feel happy about about Win 10. I haven't used it, but nothing I have read about it makes me want to. I have used Apple. Now I am using Win 7. About 5 years ago I had a Linux machine. I am thinking of sticking with Win 7 for Reaper and going back to Linux for everything else. Microsoft's tactics with Win 10 leave a bad taste, and the features are not attractive.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:32 AM   #408
+NRG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
Yes, me, too... Did some research. Turned off all of the privacy stuff and disabled / tweaked / deleted anything new I didn't need. Probably, the easiest / most pain free OS update / upgrade for me.
+NRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:35 AM   #409
SmajjL

Me three today! finally..
Did a couple of laps, one pitstop and as the tires went warmer and glueier I sat laprecords and now, I know the circuit in my sleep.
And I found an e-license of the fullversion that cost like an OEM so I can afford Reaper.
I'm even using an MS account and I am so scared..

Old 08-10-2015, 06:05 AM   #410
Mercado_Negro

FYI

I'm not sure if this is old news for some (mostly Win8 users) but running REAPER as administrator breaks files drag-and-drop (from Desktop or File Explorer to REAPER) and Automap plug-ins control.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:58 AM   #411
Damage Inc.

So, the general consensus is that Windows 10 isn't much of a problem?

I had made a reservation for W10 just so I'd have it, cause I sure as hell can't afford to both buy a new system plus a new Windows-license any time soon, and my PC is still decent.
But even though I've been holding off with installing it, or even downloading it, suddenly the update/upgrade seems to be pending for once you hit "shut down" (you know, with that little orange shield with the exclamation mark in it). I never allowed anything, so they're being really pushy with this.

Now, I don't mind getting Windows 10 at all, but I'm really worried about things not working anymore or being deleted. Obviously one of the major things would be audio-projects.
Of course I have backups of the projects and so forth, but then there's all the tedious plug-ins and their settings.

Does anyone know if there's any risk of losing any compatibility or data? Such as plug-ins that might suddenly freak out because they're usually very iffy,
or do any deep-rooted settings in like the User Data or any other system-directories get wiped?
Plug-ins I have would be like a bunch from Waves, a very old version of those EastWest virtual instruments, some D16 synths, and a bunch of free ones as well. I'm not sure which to be more worried about in terms of stability, the more expensive ones or the free ones. But I'm mostly worried about having to reinstall and losing their internal settings.

So is there any risk to this? Also with Reaper itself by the way...
Oh, and I also have an ASUS audio-card. Not sure if its drivers would suddenly freak out as well.
Damage Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:59 AM   #412
ivansc

What they dont seem to mention a lot is that you CAN revert back to your previous installation very easily.

Which reduces any risk involved.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:14 AM   #413
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
... if we assume, that the built-in fallback feature works like it should.

So far I have found no reports of someone, who did such a fallback to the former Windows installation.

Conclusion: I would clone my old Windows C: drive before I upgrade. Just to make sure, I have a chance for a working fallback, just in case it should be needed.

As always ... there can always be a case, where something goes wrong, even if the majority of users has no issues. We currently have such a case in the OSX forum, where someone has issues with Reaper projects, which were recorded on OSX, but mixed on Windows and then caused trouble after migrating them back to OSX. I myself OTOH had no issues porting my Windows projectcs to OSX.

So it's never a bad idea to expect the worst case and prepare for that case.

Chris
Aymara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:22 AM   #414
karbomusic

Quote:
So far I have found no reports of someone, who did such a fallback to the former Windows installation.
I've done it several times, back and forth when testing. I don't see a problem with cloning the image anyway just to be safe.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:48 AM   #415
godly

Quote:
Originally Posted by +NRG View Post
Yes, me, too... Did some research. Turned off all of the privacy stuff and disabled / tweaked / deleted anything new I didn't need. Probably, the easiest / most pain free OS update / upgrade for me.
Any advice or guidlines to get it music production ready?
godly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:50 AM   #416
godly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
What they dont seem to mention a lot is that you CAN revert back to your previous installation very easily.

True ! (happy )
http://www.howtogeek.com/220723/how-...dows-7-or-8.1/
Old 08-12-2015, 09:12 AM   #417
paulheu

Quote:
Originally Posted by godly View Post
Upgrade .. should be set

New install, once complete install Reaper and whatever plugins..
paulheu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:34 PM   #418
+NRG

Quote:
Originally Posted by godly View Post
Lots of junk running in the background, app notifications, privacy settings, live tiles...
+NRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:59 AM   #419
godly

Well, according to that video it looks very promissing in latency and buffering.
Just hope it's stable enough and the background updates don't mess it up.
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/20...p-development/
Old 08-13-2015, 02:41 AM   #420
SmajjL

Even on the Home version one can choose When the reboot should take place though, thank gawd, they are not That! brutal.
Also, we have in System Properties / Device Installation Settings some control over the auto install of drivers.

Just saying for whom it might concern.

Old 08-13-2015, 02:44 AM   #421
godly

Quote:
Even on the Home version one can choose When the reboot should take place though, thank gawd, they are not That! brutal.
Also, we have in System Properties / Device Installation Settings some control over the auto install of drivers.

Just saying for whom it might concern.
thx, I heard that home users cannot choose to stop the updates and pro users have some limited functions. Updates will come anyway?
Lately lots of users were cut off for several days to their computer because of a bad update.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke...rity-problems/
http://www.zdnet.com/article/mandato...entially-ugly/
Old 08-13-2015, 03:02 AM   #422
SmajjL

On Home, yes, no option to defer and that stuff.
On the recent Patch Tuesday I noticed 0 problems, I was there and I saw the whole thing! and that also included a Cumulative update, 0 problems.
I guess the security updates will be pushed out fast to everyone for obvious reasons though.
Ive had no problems at all i'm afraid concerning the updates.
You have the option to un-install though and the poor Insiders are suppose to take the worst bugs so we don't have to. heh

Last edited by SmajjL; 08-13-2015 at 03:33 AM.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:20 AM   #423
SmajjL

You want something "bad? the DPI scaling now actually scales whole Reaper incl the mixer and all, Windows 7 was only the reaplugins and menus in a usefull way, to me atleast.
And the scaling is blurry'isch, one will have to use font sizes instead and even that is not perfection yet as the options are limited comparing to 7.
I will try to mess with the fonts through regedit but, don't get why we should have to and I don't get why they have made colorthemeing harder.
There.. something negative.

One good thing ive noticed coming from 7 is that HTML5 now works and I don't get why it did not for me on 7 with... Explorer.

Old 08-13-2015, 04:27 AM   #424
godly

Quote:
You want something "bad? the DPI scaling now actually scales whole Reaper incl the mixer and all, Windows 7 was only the reaplugins and menus in a usefull way, to me atleast.
And the scaling is blurry'isch, one will have to use font sizes instead and even that is not perfection yet as the options are limited comparing to 7.
I will try to mess with the fonts through regedit but, don't get why we should have to and I don't get why they have made colorthemeing harder.

One good thing ive noticed coming from 7 is that HTML5 now works and I don't get why it did not for me on 7 with... Explorer.
Explorer what's that? ;-)
Do you have a screenshot from the rescaling? Seems a weird problem?

Last edited by godly; 08-13-2015 at 04:49 AM.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:39 AM   #425
SmajjL

This is the default layout, promise, take coveeeEEER!!
Edit: 125 DPI @ 1080p

Last edited by SmajjL; 08-13-2015 at 04:45 AM.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:48 AM   #426
godly

yiykes !!!
that's v5 right?
Old 08-13-2015, 04:51 AM   #427
SmajjL

Latest pre, but potato potata close enough.
So 10 scales everything, not Reapers fault.
.. that is Bitwig that is suppose to be 10 certified also gets scaled, eeeeverything so if I was to go ultra def monitor then I must enlarge the fonts or I could not see *beep* and if scaling looks scaled..

Last edited by SmajjL; 08-13-2015 at 05:11 AM.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:11 AM   #428
cyrano

For those of us who are interested in privacy related threats in Win 10:

This is imho the main company that directly gets your [encrypted and NOT anonymous] data:

http://integralads.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integral_Ad_Science

They're fairly new (2012). Before that, they were known as AdSafe Media (started in 2009). The company changed it's status again in februari 2015. You could say they are a company of mainly lawyers, having many names and even more locations.

They are partnered with Nielsen and various copyright protection entities. Integral is a member of the "Interactive Advertising Bureau" and works with the "Brand Integrity Program Against Piracy" initiative by the "Trustworthy Accountability Group".

They also run their own crawler (indexing) network named "Kraken/nutch". See:

https://github.com/mattheath/kraken

Their main target product is ad value (ROI) calculation and ad fraud detection. At least, that's what their website tells us.

It was kind of hard to link their input domain name to the company as everything is shrouded by privacy protection. It seems they know what privacy means.

They also have patented a large number of processes in the ad industry. It looks like they are branching out into political campaign optimization...

From the looks of it, it could very well be financed by NSA. They're able to raise tons of money through various venture capital funds. This is typical for NSA/CIA startups. No problem getting big bucks at all.

You could think about nullrouting their servers in your hosts file, but it won't work. They don't even have to change domain name or ip, as Win 10 just doesn't work without these and a lot of other entries. Swirching off these services doesn't work either.

They are not the only MS partners. McAfee and Google also seem to have a privileged channel in Win 10. But they don't hide behind cryptic subdomains without an A-record in DNS.

Even the first startup from your webcam gets sent to these servers. It's around 35 MB. And every half hour, on the dot, all the text you typed gets sent too.

More here:

https://translate.google.com/transla...ich-a-hlasu%2F

I hope this will be up long enough for you to read, as the original is in Czech and a lot of info has already been deleted on the web.
cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:27 AM   #429
cyrano

I'll just give you one quote:

Quote:
This nightmare scenario, in which a small number of programmers manipulate the
politics of the United States by injecting undetectable malicious software into voting machines
has more in common with spy novels than it does with reality.
It's from:

http://www.cfp2004.org/program/materials/p12-shamos.pdf

One of the leading consultants that work for Integral Ads Science, Inc.

Those of us who have followed Diebold as a company, will know how false this statement is.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:10 AM   #430
paulheu

I doubt it, last I heard the Illuminati are behind this and China is paying them to bring down Microsoft..

Meanwhile in other news, there has been a recent surge in sales of Tin Foil Hats.. /s

Frankly, the chance of Donald Trump becoming the next president of the USA is better than this nonsense having any truth to it..
Old 08-13-2015, 10:47 AM   #431
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulheu View Post
I doubt it, last I heard the Illuminati are behind this and China is paying them to bring down Microsoft..

Meanwhile in other news, there has been a recent surge in sales of Tin Foil Hats.. /s

Frankly, the chance of Donald Trump becoming the next president of the USA is better than this nonsense having any truth to it..
Lol..... favorite post for the week!!
Old 08-13-2015, 11:45 AM   #432
musicbynumbers

Quote:

I've haven't got into this mess yet but not looking forward to it

Just in case.. Have you set up "cleartype" on windows settings yet as that might help with the blurry text. Getting the calibration right for that is key
Old 08-13-2015, 07:47 PM   #433
SmajjL

Well this actually annoy me for one.
Usually I rely on the design of the font with no font smoothing but now, since some places are small, adding smoothing makes the text little fuller so I see better where the font insists on staying to small.
I have made a .reg and successfully changed to Calibri and things got a little better at least.
So I would love Windows to scale fonts, not graphics in a nutshell, like 7.
Would like to hear what owners of Samsung 34" S34E790C Curved Ultra WQHD-VA has to say.
I guess there is still room for some more hacking but..
Anyway.. .. pft!

Old 08-13-2015, 09:30 PM   #434
Stringer

Quote:

Well, it seems that Win 10 does phone home even when told not to:

http://arstechnica.co.uk/information...-to-microsoft/

It is not really helpful if every time someone raises privacy concerns someone else starts talking about tinfoil hats. There is a whole lot of ground between "Microsoft would never do that!" and "Microsoft is in bed with the NSA." What if turning off the data sharing simply disables the features associated with it, but doesn't turn off the data sharing? What if turning off Cortana means that she doesn't respond, but is still listening? How would you know? These are legitimate questions. Big data is big money and it can be used for more purposes than marketing consumer products. I don't know what Microsoft is doing with all this data, but they sure seem to want it, and the user agreement says they have a right to it.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:59 PM   #435
cyrano

Quote:

You seem to have a memory problem. About a week ago, you were still claiming Microsoft wasn't selling the collected data, while it's in the EULA.

This has been reported by Forbes, about a year ago. Various other sources have confirmed, amongst which, Ars Technica.

There may be errors in the listing, but nobody claimed it was a perfect report. But I guess you didn't even bother reading that.

Sigh. Sheepish believers alaways amaze me.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:08 AM   #436
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
... and the user agreement says they have a right to it.
But that doesn't mean, they really have the right, because in some countries like Germany this kind of data collection and sharing (!) is clearly against the law!

Chris
Old 08-14-2015, 02:07 AM   #437
paulheu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
It is not really helpful if every time someone raises privacy concerns someone else starts talking about tinfoil hats.
There's people raising privacy concerns and then there's people wearing Tin Foil Hats..
Old 08-14-2015, 02:12 AM   #438
Aymara

Quote:
There's people raising privacy concerns and then there's people wearing Tin Foil Hats..
... and the masses are closing their eyes and shutting down their brains.

Chris
Old 08-14-2015, 02:17 AM   #439
paulheu

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
You seem to have a memory problem. About a week ago, you were still claiming Microsoft wasn't selling the collected data, while it's in the EULA.
Where in the EULA does it state that Microsoft _sells_ the collected data to _any_ 3rd party? In some cases they are required (by law) to collect and hand over data .. For this provisions need to be made in EULA.

If you can't agree to the EULA, feel free to choose another OS which you can use. No one forces you to use WIN10..

The whole privacy 'issue' is now a prime click bait topic for a lot of sites who will.... use your activity on their site to profile you and target specific adds towards you..
Old 08-14-2015, 02:21 AM   #440
ivansc

And of course it really all comes down to exactly WHAT data MS is gathering & how they are using it. For me that is of far more relevance than "can we shut it off or not"

I would be amazed if companies like Apple MS et were NOT doing this as matter of course - certainly if you us any of the major search engines you can pretty well guarantee your activities online are being logged and harvested.

So the most relevant question now that this particular horse has bolted is "what are we going to do about it" bearing in mind that your average 14 year old hacker can easily circumvent any attempt to police this stuff, let alone professionals with all the resources the major OS companies can throw at it in order to hide their dirty little secrets.

Wonder how the Germans will decide to enforce their law?
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote