Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2021, 10:35 AM   #1
Reflected
Human being with feelings

Default Feature Request: More Devs please

I think that hiring someone that already use Reaper could improve the user experience so much better for all of us.

Someone like Sexan/MPL/Saike/heda... = someone who has enough programming skills and know the vibe of Reaper DAW.

I truly do love how you develope this amazing DAW, but lets be honest, there are lots of features that we probably won't see anytime soon, and no because you don't like them, but because you simply don't have enough time to do everything.

No offense
Just my honest thought and wish.
peace and love.
Old 09-12-2021, 10:57 AM   #2
mpl

No, thanks.
The less developers working on project, the cleaner code we use.

Better request: more attention to API requests, (edit: ) since it just an extending possibilities around existing features, rather than creating new ones (I guess creating something new is more time consuming).

Ah, and digging Reaper code require sooo much knowledge about math, DSP, drivers, plugin compatibility etc. I personally have near zero knowledge like that comparing to Schwa or Justin.

Last edited by mpl; 09-28-2021 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-12-2021, 11:26 AM   #3
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpl View Post
No, thanks.
The less developers working on project, the cleaner code we use.
Not necessarily true or false but anyway Hiring people for just applying/implement the API while Cockos assure quality, coherency and support for them, probably could lead also to good results.
Old 09-12-2021, 11:51 AM   #4
Philbo King

More cooks often leads to blander food...
Old 09-12-2021, 12:30 PM   #5
UknownSource

I agree with the OP

more musicians can lead to a great orchestra.
it all depends on the maestro.

hiring more developers mean you can do more of what you wish in less time.

the names that the OP noted proved themselves to code their stuff very carefully and they fix bugs on daily basis.

good devs are usually careful with what they do.
I'm sure that hiring a dev to make improvement according to a list of projects that ordered by the main devs could lead to great results and they sure will improve and learn by the time how the main devs would want it to be...just like in any job with a motivated worker and inspiring bosses.
Old 09-12-2021, 01:55 PM   #6
EpicSounds

did I dream we had this discussion last week?
Old 09-13-2021, 12:37 AM   #7
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

If we're making deeply inappropriate requests that are none of our business, I request that Kenny does all his videos in a Dick Van Dyke mock cockney accent while wearing the bottom half of a horse costume.
Old 09-13-2021, 02:53 AM   #8
UknownSource

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
I wear the bottom half of a horse costume.
that could be funny
Old 09-13-2021, 03:28 AM   #9
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by UknownSource View Post
Please ban me
Are you sure?
Old 09-13-2021, 04:34 AM   #10
Coachz

Quote:
If we're making deeply inappropriate requests that are none of our business, I request that Kenny does all his videos in a Dick Van Dyke mock cockney accent while wearing the bottom half of a horse costume.
Only if he does the dances too

Coachz Repo
Old 09-13-2021, 05:12 AM   #11
UknownSource

Quote:
do you want ice cream?
Nope but thanks for the offer.
Old 09-13-2021, 05:18 AM   #12
UknownSource

Quote:
Better request: more attention to API requests.
more attention to API
more attention to FX
more attention to MIDI
more attention to ....

Need more devs or need to wait more.
Old 09-13-2021, 08:56 AM   #13
EpicSounds

Hijacking the thread to remind everyone to support 3rd party REAPER devs.

Have you donated to SWS, ReaPack, ReaScripters, theme creators, and educators?
Old 09-13-2021, 10:24 AM   #14
Reflected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
Hijacking the thread to remind everyone to support 3rd party REAPER devs.

Have you donated to SWS, ReaPack, ReaScripters, theme creators, and educators?
I've donated to few of them

if they could create a good fx chainer I would donate for that too, but they can't. (at least that's what they said...due to reaper's limitation when it comes to scripting)
Old 09-13-2021, 10:45 AM   #15
Pink Wool

Would it then make more sense to focus on API requests like MPL wrote? So that the people who CAN code here, would have more with what to work on?

Edit: Not that this "FR" and API requests are mutually exclusive...
Old 09-13-2021, 11:15 AM   #16
Reflected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Wool View Post
Would it then make more sense to focus on API requests like MPL wrote? So that the people who CAN code here, would have more with what to work on?

Edit: Not that this "FR" and API requests are mutually exclusive...
Just to get the idea, will more APIs help the coders here to make a good fx container? or is it something to do with how the software itself works ?

Perhaps someone could help the devs to make more APIs?
Old 09-13-2021, 11:25 AM   #17
TonE

Adding saike to any project will destroy it, in the most positive sense, but saike is already busy elsewhere and I should not comment for him. .lua and .jsfx fields are fun enough, for the advantage of all Reaper users.
Old 09-13-2021, 11:33 AM   #18
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Wool View Post
As i stated previously i think it could give good results if cockos could manage projects with other devs which would be using exclusively fhe api and that cockos could guarantee quality /coherence/support
Old 09-13-2021, 12:17 PM   #19
mpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflected View Post
Just to get the idea, will more APIs help the coders here to make a good fx container? or is it something to do with how the software itself works ?

Perhaps someone could help the devs to make more APIs?
No, it is not possible with scripts. It is complex change in REAPER workflow and signal flow. Maybe someday it will happen. Maybe not. Up to devs. You can take it as is or use other software. You are free, you can choose ))
What I meant about API is allow to manipulate existing REAPER features in more extended and easier way.
Old 09-13-2021, 02:45 PM   #20
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
What I meant about API is allow to manipulate existing REAPER features in more extended and easier way.
I'm not sure exactly what this means but allow me to tell a story.

About 5 or 6 years ago I was helping a few Pro Tools users transition to REAPER. But they really wanted to use a theme and a bunch of scripts that made it behave as close to Pro Tools as possible.

So they found something that I had nothing to do with. But they all came back to me in a few weeks telling me that REAPER sucked. As it couldn't do this, this and this.

And I knew they were wrong. So I asked them to delete all of that crap and start over with the default. Turns out, that theme/script packaged was crap and they could do this, this and this but not with their tainted version of it.

The moral of the story is that the more you allow users to customize the program, the less you can support it. Or control the narrative regarding what new users think of it. As you can't fix what other bozos may do with it.

We see this all the time with themes. A modified version of a theme no longer can be the work of the original themer and they are judged by what other people are doing with it.

Now, I'm sure no one is going to agree with me but I just felt like typing this out.
Old 09-13-2021, 04:39 PM   #21
daniellumertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
I'm not sure exactly what this means but allow me to tell a story.

About 5 or 6 years ago I was helping a few Pro Tools users transition to REAPER. But they really wanted to use a theme and a bunch of scripts that made it behave as close to Pro Tools as possible.

So they found something that I had nothing to do with. But they all came back to me in a few weeks telling me that REAPER sucked. As it couldn't do this, this and this.

And I knew they were wrong. So I asked them to delete all of that crap and start over with the default. Turns out, that theme/script packaged was crap and they could do this, this and this but not with their tainted version of it.

The moral of the story is that the more you allow users to customize the program, the less you can support it. Or control the narrative regarding what new users think of it. As you can't fix what other bozos may do with it.

We see this all the time with themes. A modified version of a theme no longer can be the work of the original themer and they are judged by what other people are doing with it.

Now, I'm sure no one is going to agree with me but I just felt like typing this out.
Hey Kenny, maybe there was some miss understanding. I agree that flexibility leads to harder support. The thing is Idk if the API is linked necessarily to flexibility, sure users can do actions that wasnt there before...But is more another way to control reaper though code, and THEN make different tools for it. I also dont really encourages using big changes packs on reaper, go from the basic and go on making your changes, collecting scripts. The API sure will need to be supported by the devs but not the scripts... But the API is just small functions to do tasks though code, in my perspective the flexibility comes from the scripts not just the API it self.
EDIT:ah idk , I do not want to enter this topic anymore, I like reaper, I like the devs, I would like some API requests to be fulfilled

And about the original topic: wtf are you requesting ?

Last edited by daniellumertz; 09-13-2021 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-13-2021, 11:17 PM   #22
enroe

This thread is actually similar:

What's the plan for Reaper?

Old 09-14-2021, 05:56 AM   #23
gogi

A couple more talented programmers, I think, wouldn't hurt.
Although, I think it is not easy to find people who would fit into the team.
Old 09-14-2021, 08:16 AM   #24
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellumertz View Post
Hey Kenny, maybe there was some miss understanding.
Yeah. I don't really understand what an API is so my story might not be relevant.
Old 09-14-2021, 08:20 AM   #25
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogi View Post
A couple more talented programmers, I think, wouldn't hurt.
It's an "odd" request to just want more of what you're already getting and also diminishing to act like the current team couldn't come up with that idea on their own.

I love Tarantino movies but would also love if he made more. So maybe if he hires more Tarantino's I could get my feature request. I bet Quentin never thought of that.
Old 09-14-2021, 08:33 AM   #26
Jae.Thomas

It is literally none of our business.

Things seem to be working great over the past 15 years for me. The majority of my recording life has been on reaper.

More features all the time, some lately are more intricate and they make sure they work, so maybe they take a little more time, but I haven't found myself lacking anything
Old 09-14-2021, 09:50 AM   #27
Reflected

I think it's odd and absurd not to search for more potential devs to such a giant full of potential DAW, This DAW is far from being underground and it's time to think bigger imho.

there are lots of very basic yet super important workflow features that were requested 12 years ago and still weren't implemented because of time limitation.

no offense again I love what the devs did so far and I love the way they code everying, but there is time limit for what 2 devs can do and there is a lot of great stuff to do and potential to fulfill.

Last edited by Reflected; 09-14-2021 at 09:56 AM.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:57 AM   #28
gogi

Quote:
It's an "odd" request to just want more of what you're already getting and also diminishing to act like the current team couldn't come up with that idea on their own.

I love Tarantino movies but would also love if he made more. So maybe if he hires more Tarantino's I could get my feature request. I bet Quentin never thought of that.

This request appeared because there are requests for new features, which obviously will be done, because these are the trends today, and the development of all DAWs go in this direction - I'm talking about features such as FX-Container (this one - https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=226533). But it seems that this functionality still does not exist precisely because a couple of developers physically do not have time to do this, and probably do not want to hurry, they work for their own pleasure (not in any way I judge).

Although, I agree that the request looks a little weird, like, "Hey, you out there, I want you to hire more employees, and buy some new equipment!"
It's really none of our business.
Old 09-14-2021, 10:07 AM   #29
Coachz

Quote:
I think it's odd and absurd not to search for more potential devs to such a giant full of potential DAW, This DAW is far from being underground and it's time to think bigger imho.

there are lots of very basic yet super important workflow features that were requested 12 years ago and still weren't implemented because of time limitation.

no offense again I love what the devs did so far and I love the way they code everying, but there is time limit for what 2 devs can do and there is a lot of great stuff to do and potential to fulfill.
Reaper is what it is. I totally get where you are coming from but the devs have their own private goals. I too have desires and expectations but they simply don't happen because the devs have their own direction.

So.....I make what I call hit records anyways. Reaper let's me do that. I'm finishing up my 3rd album in the next couple of weeks and I have created enough workarounds to let me work effortlessly in Reaper. For me, there is not a single thing in Reaper significantly slowing me down. Musicians come in and we record like crazy, comp like crazy and make finished albums with this awesome tool. Reaper is NOT for everyone. If they can't find the tools to let them do what they need, there is a good chance those tools they need will never be implemented resulting in heartache and the need for another DAW.

If you can find a way to get Reaper AS IS to be what you need, then you will have a blast, if not it can be painful. The user/devs here are awesome at coming up with workarounds and workflow ideas to get you closer to what you need but for real success you will need to come up with your own customs actions and workflows. Good luck and I hope Reaper can be your baby !

Coachz Repo
Old 09-14-2021, 10:26 AM   #30
Reflected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Reaper is what it is. I totally get where you are coming from but the devs have their own private goals. I too have desires and expectations but they simply don't happen because the devs have their own direction.
when I first joined this forum and bought reaper, this daw was all about listening to members.

elevated requests got implemented and the majority (if not all) of the members were super happy to see this flow and this was talked about everywhere...

here is a proof in case you are new or forgot:

https://forum.cockos.com/project.php...suestatusid=35

Last edited by Reflected; 09-14-2021 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-14-2021, 11:52 AM   #31
Coachz

Quote:
when I first joined this forum and bought reaper, this daw was all about listening to members.

elevated requests got implemented and the majority (if not all) of the members were super happy to see this flow and this was talked about everywhere...

here is a proof in case you are new or forgot:

https://forum.cockos.com/project.php...suestatusid=35
My Join Date: 10-24-2010 with Total Posts: 10,307. I never got the impression they were really willing to engage in conversations about design (like the take system for example) or bend to my annoying will. I have adapted though and made it work for me. I hope you can make great music !

Coachz Repo
Old 09-14-2021, 12:00 PM   #32
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Reaper is developed with a great deal of attention paid to its users and their needs, but that is not, nor has it ever been, an absolute guarantee.

Cockos is a private company; its internal workings are none of your business.
Old 09-14-2021, 12:23 PM   #33
juliansader

Sheesh, why are people so rudely dog-piling on the OP? His post was perfectly reasonable.

I'm sure all of us have at some point wondered why Cockos doesn't employ more developers, and the question has in fact come up many times before. Cockos did actually have a third dev, Jeffos, once upon a time.

IIRC Justin explained that he simply doesn't like managing people.
Old 09-14-2021, 12:36 PM   #34
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

How reasonable his post might be is simply not the point. This is the Reaper feature requests forum.
Old 09-14-2021, 01:12 PM   #35
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
Sheesh, why are people so rudely dog-piling on the OP? His post was perfectly reasonable.

I'm sure all of us have at some point wondered why Cockos doesn't employ more developers, and the question has in fact come up many times before. Cockos did actually have a third dev, Jeffos, once upon a time.

IIRC Justin explained that he simply doesn't like managing people.
absoLUTELY not a reasonable post.

I think it could probably be addressed a bit more politely, but the very idea of telling someone how to run their business definitely comes across as offensive. However, I guess it's true that it isn't a given that the OP might recognize that.
Old 09-14-2021, 01:14 PM   #36
Held

Attached Images
File Type: jpg more_developers.jpg (60.2 KB, 417 views)
Old 09-14-2021, 01:51 PM   #37
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held View Post
[Funny comics]
It is true for people from the outside. If these new persons are already working for company, then it might not be true.
Old 09-14-2021, 01:54 PM   #38
vitalker

Quote:
Yeah. I don't really understand what an API is
In simple words: these are functions, which allow third parties to use some internal code to build something (new) in a form of scripts.
Old 09-17-2021, 11:29 AM   #39
TabbyCat

I find the OP request a little weird...here's why. I started in computer-based DAWs 23 years ago. Reaper is my fourth DAW. I now use it full-time. Before finding Reaper, I was used to:
  • Lengthy and obscure development timelines, maybe 4-5 updates per year...despite having in some cases literally hundreds of employees. Hundreds!
  • 6.02214076×10²³ marketing emails per week, encouraging me to buy things I don't need, while doing nothing about the very broken things in the existing products. And I mean genuinely broken - not supporting x64, crashes to desktop, etc.
  • Charging for minor version number updates (e.g. v9.0 --> v9.5), because they fixed something that had been broken for years. Years.
  • Updates costing at least $99 / yr, in some cases $239. Just to stay in the game.
  • No APIs, maybe just keystroke macros. And in one case not even being able to change the key commands at all (a very popular DAW - I wish I were kidding).
  • An expansive void between the community and the developers, stretching across the blackness of space. The notion of an actual developer posting in direct response to a user in a forum would be comedic farce.

That's my perspective. So when I see Reaper updates with tangible improvements pushed out on the regular, sometimes weekly, I go holy crap these people have their act together. That's why I find the nature of the original post a tad strange. This is not an attack, I just find it...strange.

Don't change anything - I like it here
Old 09-17-2021, 11:46 AM   #40
enroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbyCat View Post

6.02214076×10²³ marketing emails per week, ...
The number sounds kind of familiar to me ...