Old 09-15-2021, 12:32 PM   #1
drbam
Human being with feelings

Default Master efx chain order question

I'm working on a dense mix that is right where I want it except the overall level to the master bus is too hot by about 3db. I don't want to lower all of the tracks but instead insert the JS volume control set at -3db in the master bus. I also have Ozone inserted in the Master and my question is: which efx should be on top in this chain?

I realize that I can lower the input level in Ozone but I am only using Ozone as a final mixing reference and it is not applied to the render.

Hope this makes sense and thanks in advance!
drbam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:29 AM   #2
Karmoon

It's fine to put a trim on the master. Make it your first plugin.

If it's too hot coming out of Ozone, then you need to set the limiter/maximizer accordingly.

But I do recommend looking into 'gain staging'. Though there's no noise floor in a modern context, managing your levels can prevent this from happening in the first place.

Prevention is better than cure. Having good levels from the get go makes the entire process easier.
Karmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:41 AM   #3
drbam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
It's fine to put a trim on the master. Make it your first plugin.

If it's too hot coming out of Ozone, then you need to set the limiter/maximizer accordingly.

But I do recommend looking into 'gain staging'. Though there's no noise floor in a modern context, managing your levels can prevent this from happening in the first place.

Prevention is better than cure. Having good levels from the get go makes the entire process easier.
Thanks and yes I agree, prevention is the key. This specific composition and mix is indeed an anomaly for me in terms of the gain staging. Multiple tracks of tribal drums and percussion drove it into a zone that I rarely encounter when doing these types of projects. But it sounds so good that I did not want to mess with lowering all the track levels. But you answered my primary question about the order of the trim efx on the master. Thanks again.
Old 09-16-2021, 01:44 PM   #4
Karmoon

I get you with escalation haha.

I think one way that I counter this is by working with a group of tracks I call 'production groups'. Just for very broad strokes, like Percussion, Instruments, Vocals, Synths, Effects etc.

Though it's a bit of work to set up, the template system in REAPER means you can use it and edit to your liking very easily. That can often help a lot with organization, so I can turn down large amounts of tracks while still taking care that I'm hitting compressors and such properly.

REAPER is honestly a blessing for these huge and complex projects.

But yeah, when people do mastering work it's very common to just trim the signal. The -6dB headroom before mastering doesn't really matter anymore, but by the same token, trying our best to respect it can make life easier.

Rock on!
Karmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 01:57 PM   #5
drbam

Thanks again!