Old 12-08-2017, 01:23 AM   #1
JC1987
Human being with feelings

Default Playback syncing issues

Dear all,

Recently I have experienced essential problems with Reaper recording and playback timing. My version now is 5.62/x64 Windows 10. I'm using it in combination with a RME Babyface PRO, a very capable soundcard.

However, my problem is this: I usually have a preset session opened with 1 VSTi track (BFD drums), 2 guitars (Peavey Revalver), 1 bass (AMPEg SVT), 1 vocal and 1 mp3 track (original song).
When I record guitars or drums over the mp3 track, everything goes fine. My latency recording is around 4ms in + out so definitely not the problem. After playing back my recordings and skipping to certain parts of the song everything goes out of sync. The guitars are too early or late, the drums too and everything just sounds terribly out of sync, even though I know perfectly that the recording was in sync. I have not yet found a solution on the internet after several detailed searches. I also remember I didn't have this in previous versions of REAPER but I can't exaclty remember when it got introduced because I don't always record after a software update...

I have excluded the plugin processing and it still occurs so the problem must lie somewhere else...
JC1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:23 AM   #2
JC1987

Hello again,

is there someone who experienced this or is able to help me with this bug?
I really cannot proceed to record until I have a clue where to start to fix this problem...

Thanks in advance
Old 12-11-2017, 09:51 AM   #3
Stella645

If something is in time at some point then it would seem odd for it to go out of time unless you changed tempo without timestretching audio to fit.

When it sounds out are the audio recordings still lined up to the grid...is your midi still on the grid. In other words is stuff visibly out of time or only what you hear?

And if you save and restart Reaper is the issue still in the project?

Maybe if the issue sticks with the project, upload one that does this with at least one of the out of time bits of audio and I'll see how it loads here.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:13 AM   #4
JC1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
If something is in time at some point then it would seem odd for it to go out of time unless you changed tempo without timestretching audio to fit.

When it sounds out are the audio recordings still lined up to the grid...is your midi still on the grid. In other words is stuff visibly out of time or only what you hear?

And if you save and restart Reaper is the issue still in the project?

Maybe if the issue sticks with the project, upload one that does this with at least one of the out of time bits of audio and I'll see how it loads here.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/eequbhdn5t...0Test.zip?dl=0

I've made a test project with one single line of guitar over an existing NOFX song. Normally I use plugins to simulate guitar sound but the problem occurs even without those so you should be able to see the problem as well.

Let me try to explain the problem again regarding this particular project.
When I recorded this guitar line the timing was more or less in sync, I just know that. When I play it the first time after recording I can hear it's synced properly. However when I skip further in the track the timing get's messed up. Guitar line is totally out of sync (like 0.5s or more) and I can't understand why. It's a simple audio track without processing so it cannot be the lack of processing power...
When I recorded this I am at 3.1ms input delay and 3.5ms output delay.

hope I can get my head around this...
Old 12-12-2017, 03:28 AM   #5
Stella645

I'll take a look shortly.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:53 AM   #6
Stella645

This doesn't particularly seem out of time here.....not by half a second anyhow.
Not the easiest to confirm precisely as tempo of project has no relationship to the track

First thing that strikes me is that you are mixing sample rates
As you're using a backing track that is 44.1k then set project and record at the same rate....or convert the backing to 48k if this is the rate you want to use.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:10 AM   #7
JC1987

Quote:
This doesn't particularly seem out of time here.....not by half a second anyhow.
Not the easiest to confirm precisely as tempo of project has no relationship to the track

First thing that strikes me is that you are mixing sample rates
As you're using a backing track that is 44.1k then set project and record at the same rate....or convert the backing to 48k if this is the rate you want to use.
What do you mean with "tempo of project has no relationship to the track"?
If you play the project on your computer, is it synced?

EDIT: I tried with same sample frequency and same problem occurs...

Last edited by JC1987; 12-12-2017 at 04:16 AM.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:02 AM   #8
Stella645

So the project is set to 44.1k as far as I can see
But your guitar that you recorded in the project is a 48k wav?

So I suspect you have a sample rate mismatch. You need set the interface and the project to the same rate.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:08 AM   #9
Stella645

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC1987 View Post
What do you mean with "tempo of project has no relationship to the track"?
The tempo of this prerecorded track is not exactly 120bpm so it isn't aligned to the grid.

NB: it is in syn on playback as far as I can tell but if I render a mix it is definitely out....it must be the sample rate issue.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:23 AM   #10
JC1987

Quote:
The tempo of this prerecorded track is not exactly 120bpm so it isn't aligned to the grid.

NB: it is in syn on playback as far as I can tell but if I render a mix it is definitely out....it must be the sample rate issue.
I've just recorded the guitar again in 44.1, same result. About the 120BPM, I don't want the recording to align to the metronome because I'm using a reference track to play along with. I also have metronome disabled...
Old 12-12-2017, 06:02 AM   #11
Stella645

Are you having this issue with any other project or only when playing to this backing track - or others from the same source??

I have a feeling that WMA is the problem. It thinks it's 44.1 but actually it's been recorded 48k.

So be sure to set your interface settings to 48k, start a new project and set it to 48k, then import the wav from this link and try again.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-hs...ew?usp=sharing
Old 12-12-2017, 10:09 AM   #12
JC1987

Quote:
Are you having this issue with any other project or only when playing to this backing track - or others from the same source??

I have a feeling that WMA is the problem. It thinks it's 44.1 but actually it's been recorded 48k.

So be sure to set your interface settings to 48k, start a new project and set it to 48k, then import the wav from this link and try again.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-hs...ew?usp=sharing
It's fixed with this new track! Setting everything to 48k solves the problem.
To understand the core issue better, was it the audio track that was actually 48k instead of 44.1k?

I get that everything in the project should be in the same sample frequency...
Old 12-12-2017, 11:02 AM   #13
Stella645

The WMA file was 48k but it seemed to have been flagged as 44.1 when it was created.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:41 PM   #14
JC1987

Quote:
The WMA file was 48k but it seemed to have been flagged as 44.1 when it was created.
Thanks, you saved my day. Stupid of me to not try with another mp3 track, would've probably isolated the issue to that specific project...