Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 10-08-2018, 09:27 PM   #1
Blairio
Human being with feelings

Default Suggestion: Provide a 'Dispatcher' function for Reaper

I have an idea for what I think could be a useful new Reaper function. I had already posted this in the General Discussion section in a thread titled 'Providing a 'Dispatcher' function for Reaper', before I found the New Feature Requests section.

Perhaps a note 'dispatcher' could be built into a Reaper midi track, where you define 2 or more destinations, on 2 or more midi channels, and the track assigns notes to be played across the two based on a knowledge of the available polyphony of each, and the choice of load balancing algorithm.

For instance,

1. I select 'add a new Dispatcher track' in my Reaper project
2. I set number of destinations to '2'
3. I define my Roland JU-06 on midi channel one of the dispatcher track, and set its polyphony parameter to 4 voices
4. I define my Roland JP-08 on channel 2 of yes same dispatcher track, and again set its polyphony parameter to 4 voices
5. I select the Note Allocation Behaviour from a drop down list, such as 'round-robin', 'load balancing', or basic 'note overflow'.

The Reaper track now knows it has a pool of 8 voices, and how it must allocate those voices to the destination devices. It doesn't need to know anything more about the destination devices.

Taking the idea further, I could define a dispatcher track with 5 destinations, each with one note polyphony. I could then assign each of my 5 midi compatible monosynths as a destination, and end up with a crazy 5 voice polysynth!

That would be a very cool feature, and doesn't rely on a synth communicating its polyphony back to Reaper. I know that some synths handle note overflow well (AudioThingies MicroMonsta or DSI Polychaining), but others don't, and it would be good to have this capability an attribute of Reaper. Reaper wouldn't need to know anything about the target synth except its available polyphony, and the midi channel it is on.

This dispatcher behaviour is available in several eurorack modules for note allocation via CV/gate - Mutable Instruments 'Yarns' for example, but I don't *think* it is available in DAWs, such as Reaper.

I think this would be a useful addition to Reaper.

Last edited by Blairio; 10-08-2018 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Clarified that Mutable Instruments YARNS assign notes via CV/Gate, and not midi.
Blairio is offline   Reply With Quote