Old 09-19-2012, 09:02 AM   #121
ivansc
Human being with feelings

I suspect that if you have to ask if what you re creating is music, it probably isn't.

Even more scary is watching the delusional idiots on things like X Factor who honestly cannot hear that they cannot carry a tune even in a bucket.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:45 AM   #122
Sambo Rouge

Mozart tried writing with a mouse, but the coagulated blood and bits of fur obscured the notes, so he gave up.
Sambo Rouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:18 AM   #123
msore

Default delusion all the way to the top

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
I suspect that if you have to ask if what you re creating is music, it probably isn't.

Even more scary is watching the delusional idiots on things like X Factor who honestly cannot hear that they cannot carry a tune even in a bucket.
or ...
successful recording artists with the same problem.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #124
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeroephonics View Post
Exactly how organized does the sound have to be before it can officially be defined as music?

What if you're making musical-like sounds which are not sold? Is the buying & selling of the sounds (or the mediums on which they are recorded) required before it can officially be considered music?

What does "artistically performed" mean?

I don't know what things are. Thanks for any help.
music is vibrations, waves of vibrations, that are combined together in rhythmic manner, and which, combined together in this way, incite emotional responses from humans such as dancing, or feeling sad.

the organization of it, is what makes it sound good. perfect fifths sound good just alone, a pleasing sound. evolution has given us this, for one reason or another, but then one can take these sorts of emotions, and combine them one after another, to take the listener on an emotional journey, which because of organized timing, "feels right". so this is music.

random noise is unpleasant, and unexpected.

there is a gray area though. is your left hand indicator ticking away on your car, music?

idk, you could start a song that way though, and then now is it music?

so, it's a gray area for sure, but in most cases it is easy to see.

music affects emotionally, and since we are smart humans, we can wield the emotional trip, and do so much with it with all the ways we've discovered to manipulate sound to date.

back on topic, i'd also like to add that i find a DAW can be a great learning tool for me too, because it lets me mess around with my own songs, and my own chord progressions, and lets me understand those more in depth.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:00 PM   #125
Cosmic

I'm just grateful every minute of every day that I was around and young enough to be here for the Home Recording Revolution.

All my dreams came true.Always wanted a record deal so I could make records..now I don't need one.I just make records.

There is nothing that cant be achieved in your home studio..the only limits are your imagination and ability.And the dedication to relentlessly pursue a better sound with every song..sure thats brilliant...nothing else I'd rather do.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:25 AM   #126
Sambo Rouge

Totally agree Gaz,

Far from destroying music, home studios have provided the freedom to produce a finished product without the politics, greed, whims or vagaries of the big music machine.

If anything, the major label conglomerates themselves and their avaricious execs did more to destroy the music industry than anyone else.

They systematically emasculated and absorbed or eradicated the smaller competition in a calculated and cynical manner.

They won't have the last laugh however -- there is a flourishing of musical minows all over the globe --- its like micro breweries all over again.

Sure, a lot of the stuff being churned out by people is dross, but if you go back to the "golden days" of the 60's, whilst there was some superb and even iconic stuff being made --- there was an awful lot of crap.

On balance I think home studios are a wonderful gift to be much appreciated and cherished.

Now, if we could only have the perfect DAW.
Sambo Rouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:49 AM   #127
Vhyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
I'm just grateful every minute of every day that I was around and young enough to be here for the Home Recording Revolution.

All my dreams came true.Always wanted a record deal so I could make records..now I don't need one.I just make records.

There is nothing that cant be achieved in your home studio..the only limits are your imagination and ability.And the dedication to relentlessly pursue a better sound with every song..sure thats brilliant...nothing else I'd rather do.
You and I share the exact same mentality. The Home Recording Revolution is a huge step in the world of music production, and I am very happy to be right in the middle of it all. I love it. What recording artists are doing in their own homes nowadays amazes me, and it will only get better from here.

Back in the day when I played in other bands, I remember us always chasing after a record deal. As I started dabbling in home recording and getting my solo project off the ground, that became less and less important. I don't really care for a record deal now. I'm doing exactly what I want with my music, whenever I want, and however I want. And of course, the whole process is always a huge learning experience. Every time I hit that CTRL+R, or mix a track, I learn something new. And watching a project come together from your own hard work in your own studio, is irreplaceable.
Vhyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #128
Mouasic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhyle View Post
Every time I hit that CTRL+R, or mix a track, I learn something new. And watching a project come together from your own hard work in your own studio, is irreplaceable.
I agree with this 100%. There's something about creating something from nothing or an idea in a mind and watching it move into music that can be heard that is just amazing. I am not the most talented person ever but being to create with freedom is not killing music it is only helping it grow.
Mouasic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #129
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouasic View Post
I agree with this 100%. There's something about creating something from nothing or an idea in a mind and watching it move into music that can be heard that is just amazing. I am not the most talented person ever but being to create with freedom is not killing music it is only helping it grow.
not killing music. that was never the premise, killing the live performing of the artist that owns the recording studio. that's the premise.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:22 PM   #130
Cosmic

My gigs only became EPIC after I started recording all my stuff first.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #131
robo

The article in the OP is right in a number of ways, two of which are:

1. Simplicity and permanence of a take on tape meant playing it as best you could the first time before tape degradation.

2. The absolute and undeniable noise level of available "music" is so incredible now. It's similar to the amount of hipster iphone instagram food pics on the net. For every song you upload there must be 10,000 or more.

Another point is the quality of audio engineering has gone way, way down due to the "fix it later" and beat detective mentality. So there's experts at autotune that can't position mics without googling but it's something they'll probably never have to worry about anyway.

Lastly the quality of songwriting among the noise is pathetic. Of course there's no law against learning about song structure and musical phrasing, let alone grammar.

Dancing has become pretty intense though.

-robo
robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:09 AM   #132
franV

1. LEARNING CURVE: People are trying to do too much with their DAW in the beginning.

2. ENVIRONMENT: Setup is not right. It you don't have a secondary device like a dictaphone or cellphone with soundrecording your pc have to be on or sleep.
The program's has to be loaded and you instruments plugged in. Otherwise the of recording random ideas is going to become to much of a hassle and your brain will shut down the flow.

3. GAS: Setting your sights on to expensive and extensive equipment like OTB summing and DAC's, etc.

4. PERFECTIONISM: Endlessly trying to improve your mix. The it's never right syndrome that ruins songmaking.
franV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:44 AM   #133
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by franV View Post
1. LEARNING CURVE: People are trying to do too much with their DAW in the beginning.
Bingo.

Every DAW user wants to learn production, engineering and mastering all at the same time while (I suppose) also continuing to develop their musical skills like performing, arranging and songwriting.

That's a lot of hats to wear.

I kinda suck as a songwriter but I often see people spending hours trying to learn some new mixing trick when (maybe too often) the actual songs themselves are subjectively lifeless and somewhat boring.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:51 AM   #134
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Bingo.

Every DAW user wants to learn production, engineering and mastering all at the same time while (I suppose) also continuing to develop their musical skills like performing, arranging and songwriting.

That's a lot of hats to wear.

I kinda suck as a songwriter but I often see people spending hours trying to learn some new mixing trick when (maybe too often) the actual songs themselves are subjectively lifeless and somewhat boring.
There should be an 8-track mode that works like video game levels. 8-Track mode is level 1 and you have to successfully use it before it allows you to do more than 8 tracks + Eq or similar. "Back in my day" it was 4 tracks to cassette, 1 mic, 1 DI no FX. Sounds horrid but there is no better way to learn how to get good recordings and songs than having to make something from nothing.

Actaully... the earliest days were even worse... two table top cassette players, lay guitar track on player one, play it back and record through the air to the 2nd one's built in mic while I played along. Every track was an overdub yay!
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #135
Jae.Thomas

how about guessing the right volume for the next overdub? lol thats what I had to do with my karaoke machine I used. Each take was an experiment.

that machine i highlighted in the back was my first experience with multitrack recording. I feel like it taught me a lot :_)
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:54 AM   #136
Lawrence

Haha.

All you need is a tie die shirt and a joint in the corner of your mouth.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:20 AM   #137
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post

that machine i highlighted in the back was my first experience with multitrack recording. I feel like it taught me a lot :_)
Lol yes on the guessing part... I'm sure it did help teach, there is nothing better than necessity+determination sometimes. Nice pic.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:11 PM   #138
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
how about guessing the right volume for the next overdub? lol thats what I had to do with my karaoke machine I used. Each take was an experiment.

interesting. that looks like a strat body with a tele neck.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:15 PM   #139
Jae.Thomas

its a bloody great guitar. I still have it - was my first one. an early 80s squire. Only one working pickup. Who needs anything more?

and I wasn't that much of a hippie at the time, but I do see what you're saying, L.

1996 baby
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:14 PM   #140
Jacks24

Default Home Studios Are Killing Music

On the contrare, I have been playing music for 12 years and my enthusiasm and skills have sharply increased in the past 4 months of recording. Having my own cheap ass excuse for a studio has allowed me to hone my rhythm which has suffered in the past and I now play 6 instruments rather than 2. Anyone aspiring to be a musician or at least be capable of expressing themselves must first understand what they sound like, in order to learn how they want to sound.
Jacks24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:04 AM   #141
mad demon

To me it seems most here got the article of Ronan Chris Murphy wrong or are a prime example of what he is talking about.

First we should make a strict distinction between song writer and recording artist. What has been said in this thread about recording more songs with a daw than a 4-track simply doesnt mean anything in regard to the writing aspect but rather the recording aspect.

Many times I found people being unable to judge their own writing simply by playing the song. They have to record it first. Then often they have to tweak it in the DAW to see whether it is good or not. I mean, really?

Also many are not able to actually play any instruments at all anymore.

So it really boils down to the fact that the time spend on recording and fumbling with your daw is time not spend on actually writing a song.

Anyway concluding from this that home studios are killing music is simply not true. Because each home studio is there to produce music! But it's also true that some folks are better of not recording their own stuff as they can not handle it.
mad demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #142
morgon

Probably the R&D experimental stage [sound setups etc] gets dragged out a bit too long in some [mine]cases.

I do wonder how much i coulda got done if spent just 1/2 the time etc

Then you find some great plug that almost justifes the time,happened here last week,but im gettin on with it now,its taking too much time just to scroll thru me vst lists.
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:33 PM   #143
Big Label Sound
Banned

Default Wearing Too Many Hats

The toughest part about the music biz for most is lack of funds = wearing too many hats.

It would be great if we could all be like the Beatles in their prime. Rich and sitting around a room smoking weed all day, making music, without a care in the world. Plus knowing your next release will be on the radio next week is a great inspirational boost. A lot gets done when you can allot 60 hours or more a week to just writing music.

The average writer/artist/band is working 40 hours a week, has many other responsibilities, and is broke. There isn't much time to write, and one person ends up being the songwriter, producer, arranger, singer, recording engineer, mixing engineer, mastering engineer, marketing guy, web designer, booking agent.... And not only will your song not be on the radio next week, it will be an amazing accomplishment if its ever on the radio! That's the opposite of inspiration.

The only thing lack of technology did before is it forced people to pay others more knowledgeable than they are in certain areas. Now someone can try to do everything themselves on the cheap, and they're not going to be really good at enough things. If you're a great singer and songwriter, but you are bad at mixing, terrible at mastering and have no clue when it comes to marketing, you don't get an average grade of a "C-." You get an "F" because you'll end up with a poor final product that you don't know how to market.
Big Label Sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #144
msore

Default yes - the social networking approach is hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Label Sound View Post
The toughest part about the music biz for most is lack of funds = wearing too many hats.

It would be great if we could all be like the Beatles in their prime. Rich and sitting around a room smoking weed all day, making music, without a care in the world. Plus knowing your next release will be on the radio next week is a great inspirational boost. A lot gets done when you can allot 60 hours or more a week to just writing music.

The average writer/artist/band is working 40 hours a week, has many other responsibilities, and is broke. There isn't much time to write, and one person ends up being the songwriter, producer, arranger, singer, recording engineer, mixing engineer, mastering engineer, marketing guy, web designer, booking agent.... And not only will your song not be on the radio next week, it will be an amazing accomplishment if its ever on the radio! That's the opposite of inspiration.

The only thing lack of technology did before is it forced people to pay others more knowledgeable than they are in certain areas. Now someone can try to do everything themselves on the cheap, and they're not going to be really good at enough things. If you're a great singer and songwriter, but you are bad at mixing, terrible at mastering and have no clue when it comes to marketing, you don't get an average grade of a "C-." You get an "F" because you'll end up with a poor final product that you don't know how to market.
YES.

Good economies, good markets, require specialization of function and labor.

Been that way since ten thousand years ago, folks. Not EVERYONE has to handle irrigation. Not everyone has to defend the borders. Not everyone sings songs and tells stories.

But here come the goddam amateur economists of the internet age, who insist that everyone can be and do everything. You can write, perform, record, market, get gigs, organize your own tour, and conquer the world by just starting a Facebook page!

Amazing.

Except that it does not fukn work.

Anyone who has a subscription to Writer & Poet, check out the article by Ron Tanner on organizing your own book tour.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #145
Kundalinguist

Speaking as a former owner of a commercial recording studio (large 2" tape facility) I find that the new digital technology has more empowered me as a creator than owning a "real studio." There were a lot of prohibitive costs, time and traveling distance involved back then.

The world is different today, obviously. I think we just have to dial back our ambitions in trying to achieve the same status as the Beatles or others of the pre-digital era. Those days are over. As a further aspect of that evolution, even successful young bands today seem to be less ground breakers of note, yet playing seems "better" after being inspired by so many better players. I think also that we can agree that there were never so many amazing women guitarists.

So much has changed. But of note: I remember when DJs began killing the live music industry in 1991 and onward. I got out then after many years of live playing. But I couldn't blame DAWs back then for what happened. It was records and brick and mortar economics.

Fortunately, I later toured with a band in the states for 1 1/2 years, while my friend continues to tour today with his band, taking planes, trains and automobiles. It's still possible. It's just different today. He's in a tribute band.

Point? Not sure there's a real downside to a change that gives us greater power as individuals.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #146
Cosmic

Sure,who wants to be as big as the Beatles?

I mean..whats the point?

It won't make you a better musician..and the only point in our lives is to be the best we can be.And doing that is free..just takes hard work,only its not even like work,because it brings you joy.

Having loads of money would have an adverse effect on my creativity.It'd be a distraction from getting down to buisness.Anything that takes me away from my music gets the elbow as it is..sure,I'd like to make a regular wage from tunes..and that is still possible.

I don't need a lear jet..unless for some reason recording in one would improve my mixes.

A ME friend of mine only today reccomended I invest in Soundtoys Radiator..I told him I don't think I need it..I can make my tunes noisy/warm enough for free.Just by the very nature of the amount noise in my world!

Well,not really,but a bit.The hiss coming from my cpu cooler has me covered for analog hiss anyway.

Besides..its all subjective.One mans lo fi is another mans unobtainable goal.Or at least it becomes such when the tune becomes popular to some degree.

In fact..if I could turn back the clock..I'd have only picked the handfgul of plugins I now use on everything from the get go..novice recordists..of which I am surely still one..should be restricted to about 10 quality procsseros.Trying out every vst on earth is a distraction and not even that useful a pastime in the long run I think.Although..its a bit of craic!

Bit of a ramble here...I'm in a thinky mood.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:26 PM   #147
karbomusic

I was just killing some music in my home studio last night.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #148
Cosmic

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I was just killing some music in my home studio last night.
Sweet!

I'm attempting to do the same right now.It won't die though

Theres something weird going on..a strange boxiness on my vocal..but I havent moved anything around...

I think my voice might have gone boxy from too many sweets at xmas
Old 01-17-2013, 11:58 AM   #149
andrew grove

What he does not see in the obvious. He had a nice break from writing and so when he returned it was fresh again. I need the distraction of trying to perfect the sound. The read interpretation of his statement, and all the others alike for that matter, is the private music recording business is suffering. To them I would like to say: I remember when a real talent was around they used to fight to record him/her not charge them money!
andrew grove is offline   Reply With Quote