Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 09-21-2021, 08:15 AM   #41
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPBaker View Post
Just thinking about all the potential ways one might want to configure ReaVerb for different IR sources and purposes (mono to stereo, true stereo, various flavors of surround or synthesized IRs), it makes me wonder if the standard I/O pinout isn't the ideal way to handle this.

Perhaps adding new dropdown/parameter/config box would allow users to select between the default config and these more complex situations? Because it seems to me that in all these other cases we're looking at situations where we'll need ReaVerb to use more channels for IR processing "internally" than would ultimately be used for for plugin I/O.

EDIT: Ha, BethHarmon beat me to it!
The LSP Impulse Reverb I normally use has a "Processors" section where you select a file, and in the case of a quad file, which track to use, plus individual R/L input signal pan, pre-delay, output level, and R/L output signal pan. All of which gets saved with a preset.

If ReaVerb just expanded the VST output pins to match the number of channels in the impulse that would prolly do it for me.

Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 08:40 AM   #42
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
If ReaVerb just expanded the VST output pins to match the number of channels in the impulse that would prolly do it for me.
I was thinking whether it makes sense to save the plug-in channel count within rpl presets, but this would work for me as well.

Btw, I'm getting continuous crackling (xruns) with quad files when switching plugin-in channel count to 4 for the first time. Unchecking and re-checking zero latency mode fixes the issue.
Old 09-21-2021, 09:00 AM   #43
musicbynumbers

I think saving a single fx as an fx chain will retain routing normally so that might work?
Old 09-21-2021, 09:25 AM   #44
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
That would be handy if you're using a single file whether it's mono, stereo or quad-channel. But if you're using two stereo files meant to be used together as a quad-channel reverb (such as the Bricasti impulses), there would need to be a way of telling ReaVerb that each file gets assigned the VST channels it requires. Currently when multiple files are loaded in ReaVerb, they're effectively run in series.

So for the sake of using files such as this within ReaVerb, having the ability to assign channels to each file loaded would be important. Otherwise it's necessary to merge the two stereo files in advance as a 4-channel file (so that it could be loaded into ReaVerb as a single file). That can be done, but this set alone has 268 files that would need to be done with, and I can't think of a way of doing that sensibly in a batch.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 09:57 AM   #45
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedTheCat View Post
I was thinking whether it makes sense to save the plug-in channel count within rpl presets, but this would work for me as well.

Btw, I'm getting continuous crackling (xruns) with quad files when switching plugin-in channel count to 4 for the first time. Unchecking and re-checking zero latency mode fixes the issue.
I was playing Superior Drummer through it for testing and a couple of times started getting long delays that would eventually straighten themselves out. This was not changing anything but just playing through it for ten or fifteen minutes.
Old 09-21-2021, 10:02 AM   #46
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
That would be handy if you're using a single file whether it's mono, stereo or quad-channel. But if you're using two stereo files meant to be used together as a quad-channel reverb (such as the Bricasti impulses), there would need to be a way of telling ReaVerb that each file gets assigned the VST channels it requires. Currently when multiple files are loaded in ReaVerb, they're effectively run in series.

So for the sake of using files such as this within ReaVerb, having the ability to assign channels to each file loaded would be important. Otherwise it's necessary to merge the two stereo files in advance as a 4-channel file (so that it could be loaded into ReaVerb as a single file). That can be done, but this set alone has 268 files that would need to be done with, and I can't think of a way of doing that sensibly in a batch.
The way LSP handles different types of files is that you select a file and a channel from that file, so if it's a quad file you would select,

File1-Track1 File1-Track2 File1-Track3 File1-Track4

and with two stereo files you would select,

File1-Track1 File1-Track2 File2-Track1 File2-Track2

and with four mono files you would do,

File1-Track1 File2-Track1 File3-Track1 File4-Track1
Old 09-21-2021, 10:02 AM   #47
BPBaker

Quote:

Interesting points. It's easy for me to get carried away dreaming about the "ideal" way of doing this without any real understanding of how hard it would be to implement. BUT if "media item enclosures" ever become a fully developed thing, you could imagine being able to sort of compose these multi-item/multi-channel composited IRs in Reaper and then drag/dropping them as an enclosed item into ReaVerb. Just wild dreamin' here!
BPBaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 12:57 PM   #48
jm duchenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
I think saving a single fx as an fx chain will retain routing normally so that might work?
The pins assignement is well retained in the Presets for all other plugins.
It is just for these new Reaplugs version where the plugin's channels selection is not yet retained, so I suppose that it will be fixed soon...
jm duchenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 01:08 PM   #49
elcalen

Quote:
That would be handy if you're using a single file whether it's mono, stereo or quad-channel. But if you're using two stereo files meant to be used together as a quad-channel reverb (such as the Bricasti impulses)
If you're talking about the old Samplicity Bricasti IRs, those are available in quad channel version as well... (https://web.archive.org/web/20190820...ulse-responses)
elcalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 01:15 PM   #50
JamesPeters

Lol. I forgot about that, since I've had the files around for a long time as the separate stereo version.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 09:32 AM   #51
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
If you use Glennbo’s output side with JamesPeters input side you’ll have it, I think. The exact configuration depends on the channel order of the IR, but in general you want the left input routed to two channels, one of which goes to the left, the other the right. and you want the right input routed to the other two channels (which in turn go to the two outputs).
I've just come to realize that the dry signal when pin selected like this, becomes mono. I put ReaVerb on a submaster pin mapped as above, and while listening with phones to a mix with hard left and right parts, it was obvious.

It appears with the pins mapped like that ReaVerb on its own track set 100% wet and fed via a bus works as desired, but using it in an FX bus pinned like that will make the track mono with stereo reverb.

I guess the way to do True Stereo with ReaVerb is to run it on its own track and use sends to hit it, which is not as convenient. I frequently will put the LSP True Stereo reverb on my submaster, set very light to put the whole project/band in the same room.

Last edited by Glennbo; 10-25-2021 at 11:14 AM.