Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 09-21-2021, 01:53 AM   #1
bgrg
Human being with feelings

Default Bypassing track envelope should set automated FX parameter to default

Hello,

When I bypass volume or pan envelopes, the volume or pan correctly resets to the default value, allowing A/B-ing the effect of the automation. But that's not what happens with envelopes automating FX parameters. Bypassing those during playback has no effect other than ignoring the following envelope points, the automated value doesn't reset to default, making A/B-ing impossible.

Is that the intended behavior? Is there a setting to change that so it behaves like the volume and pan envelopes? I couldn't find anything in the manual or on the forum...

Thanks!
bgrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 08:12 AM   #2
SonicAxiom

I'd say that this is something unavoidable since Reaper can't know what kind of parameter of a third-party plugin an envelope automates (gain, cut-off, reverb time, frequency, etc.) so that it's difficult to know what that parameter's default value might be if it has any.

What I do find annoying is that when you delete the fx send volume envelope for a reverb fx track, Reaper reverts the fx send's gain to unity which produces extreme amounts of reverb! I'd much prefer it to revert to a send volume of negative inf. instead.

Old 09-25-2021, 06:08 AM   #3
bgrg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAxiom View Post
I'd say that this is something unavoidable since Reaper can't know what kind of parameter of a third-party plugin an envelope automates (gain, cut-off, reverb time, frequency, etc.) so that it's difficult to know what that parameter's default value might be if it has any.

What I do find annoying is that when you delete the fx send volume envelope for a reverb fx track, Reaper reverts the fx send's gain to unity which produces extreme amounts of reverb! I'd much prefer it to revert to a send volume of negative inf. instead.

I disagree with the first part of your reply. Every envelope has a default value, Reaper could just reset to that when the envelope is bypassed, it doesn't have to know anything about the plugin affected.

The send volume envelope behaves exactly like the track volume or pan envelopes do, and that's how I'd like every envelope to work. Even better, it would be nice if we could choose the behavior we prefer because both are clearly possible.
bgrg is offline   Reply With Quote